Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #211
fuzzyroes
Banned

Man, those new acoustic songs are terrible. Sounds like something a novice 15 year old would come up with

Old 06-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #212
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I had a problem recording this one, so there's a glitch... but it's my fav song out of the new ones

Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 PM   #213
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
I hope a video comes out! I think the closest it's come to acoustic before was a piano version with og Zwan

Old 06-19-2019, 11:43 PM   #214
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

new songs are certified boring. especially the ones without katie.

endless summer is my favorite MSOTS song but i'm not sold on this version

Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 AM   #215
fuzzyroes
Banned

The word "meandering" comes to ones mind when listening to those new songs.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:45 AM   #216
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Wound:

Old 06-20-2019, 02:09 AM   #217
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Man, those new acoustic songs are terrible. Sounds like something a novice 15 year old would come up with
Shut up.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:12 AM   #218
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
new songs are certified boring. especially the ones without katie.

I like it. Hearing it sort of naked like this really highlights bob dylans influence on his songwriting during that period. I’d always just heard it as a power pop guitar ditty but now the song makes sense to me.

Also his voice is sounding nice here. He slips into the old zwan voice, lol.

Last edited by paranoid : 06-20-2019 at 02:21 AM.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:20 AM   #219
paranoid
Minion of Satan

I’ll say this, and I thought I’d never get here, but I’m honestly enjoying this era of SP/BC. He seems to be trying in a way I haven’t seen him try in a while, as in he seems to finally be enjoying himself. SP is sounding great live (like this last tour they’ve especially exploded), the new songs aren’t terrible and he has a respect for his old songs without all of the usual drama he used to tie to those songs.

We’re in an upswing here. And imo if you’re still posting in this board, obviously there’s still an interest in what this band is doing.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:02 AM   #220
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I can say from last night's concert: he was very successful with the public. He went thru the new songs with almost no talks in between them, only when he brought Katie back to the stage, before playing Santa Fe trail (on which people clapped along), and before a few Ogilala songs (the mandarynne cane to mind, cause I actually think he only played cause someone at the audience requested before).

You could tell half of the people didn't know the non-pumpkins songs at all, but enjoyed them, that is not an easy job (to play unknown songs for over an hour and be successful at it). That kind of venue he was playing helps setting the mood, people few more like they are seeing a play, so they were fairly quiet throughout the songs.

I heard only good things about it. for example this older gentlemen talking in the toilet "it was a grand ol' concert / yeah, I enjoyed it a lot". Billy storytelling was on point (i got a bit emotional when he was talking about Space Boy and his brother Jesse, who inspired the song), you could see people wanted to hear more about it and would be quiet and/or interact with him (the Irish crowd loves a banter)

The audience have him a standing ovation at the end. And he seemed to be very pleased with the whole thing.

----

The concert was over and a few of us stayed around to talk to Billy. Doug came out to say Billy wouldn't be signing anything or posing for pictures, but he would be happy to talk to everybody and that we could take as many pictures as we wanted. He was in a very good mood, talked to us for 10 or 15 minutes and answered questions before hoping on his van and leaving.

It was a whole experience. And I enjoyed it a lot.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:55 AM   #221
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I enjoyed it too. Agree about the new songs, nothing really stood out, except the third song he played and the first one with Katie.

I was getting annoyed at the typical "howarye Billy" shouts from the audience but he didn't seem to mind them. Where it did have an effect was during the story telling, one clown ruined the build up of the Spaceboy story.

Second set was good, would've preferred any other Adore song other than Shame, and Tonight Tonight got a great singalong which Billy encouraged.

He played the firs set wearing a black cape, but in the second he was just in a shirt / black trousers, and he looked so much better.

He singing was strong for his post-2000 voice, made all the notes etc, but how good would that concert have been with the 1998 voice in effect. Ah well. That ship has sailed I guess.

Pity I missed his little meet and greet! Only reason I didn't consider it was cos he had said "no meet and greets" on IG.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:37 AM   #222
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post

I was getting annoyed at the typical "howarye Billy" shouts from the audience but he didn't seem to mind them. Where it did have an effect was during the story telling, one clown ruined the build up of the Spaceboy story.

The Northside joke tho, I'm still laughing with that one. Did you hear it?

Old 06-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #223
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
The Northside joke tho, I'm still laughing with that one. Did you hear it?
I did. That was pretty funny in fairness. If Billy heard it, he wouldn't have gotten it.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:06 AM   #224
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 06-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #225
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah I think he really enjoyed it. He commented that in the States its impossible for the crowd to be quiet. After the initial excitement and calls from people, there was very much a hush even in between songs.

Also, I've never seen someone drink so much water at a gig.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #226
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Did you get the impression he was going to play Once in a while but it was actually Travels? They sound very similar.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #227
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Did you get the impression he was going to play Once in a while but it was actually Travels? They sound very similar.
That's EXACTLY what I thought. And I would've liked Once In A While. Talk about a deep cut.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #228
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

BTW on a side note I thought Katie Cole was fairly forgettable. Caught the last four or five songs and while she had a nice voice, it all was a bit anonymous.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #229
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Most are pretty middle-of the road, though Buffalo Boy and Scatter seem nice enough.

New solo album seems like it's gonna be Ogilala pt. II for whatever that's worth to you

Old 06-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #230
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quite disappointed that Dancehall doesn't seem to have a Vybz Kartel feature on it

Old 06-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #231
Disarmu
Pledge

Quote:

The concert was over and a few of us stayed around to talk to Billy. Doug came out to say Billy wouldn't be signing anything or posing for pictures, but he would be happy to talk to everybody and that we could take as many pictures as we wanted. He was in a very good mood, talked to us for 10 or 15 minutes and answered questions before hoping on his van and leaving.

It was a whole experience. And I enjoyed it a lot.
Where did you get to meet him after? I am raging I didnt think to stay around as I thought there would be no chance to meet him.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #232
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

The real hell of it, my friend, is that he loudly announced "tonight I will hug and kiss anyone who asks" at the back door

Old 06-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #233
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Question

I'm more surprised that Corgan played many new songs live that aren't released yet.
Though he said in his Q&A, he wouldn't do that anymore. May be different with the band?

Or he wanted to test the acceptance for the new material, like once with the Chicago kidding songs...

Old 06-20-2019, 07:39 PM   #234
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
I'm more surprised that Corgan played many new songs live that aren't released yet.
Though he said in his Q&A, he wouldn't do that anymore. May be different with the band?

Or he wanted to test the acceptance for the new material, like once with the Chicago kidding songs...
are you saying we went back on something he said?

this concert series seems to be 2/3 boring stories, 1/3 boring songs

Old 06-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #235
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Yeah, piano version kinda needs backing vox and guitars like this:

https://archive.org/details/zwan2003...-07d1t05rs.shn

Old 06-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #236
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
I like it. Hearing it sort of naked like this really highlights bob dylans influence on his songwriting during that period. I’d always just heard it as a power pop guitar ditty but now the song makes sense to me.

Also his voice is sounding nice here. He slips into the old zwan voice, lol.
yes i listened one more time. i think it's pretty great. like i said, i've always loved endless summer. the idea of an "endless summer" is such a trope in music/tv/movies, but in this case it's like the summer is terrible and when will it ever fucking end. i thought that was really creative and interesting.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:27 PM   #237
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
yes i listened one more time. i think it's pretty great. like i said, i've always loved endless summer. the idea of an "endless summer" is such a trope in music/tv/movies, but in this case it's like the summer is terrible and when will it ever fucking end. i thought that was really creative and interesting.
What is Endless Summer about anyhow? I've never agreed with the lyrics on SPFC, because to me, Billy's singing "an endless summer to behold" not "to be home"

Old 06-21-2019, 01:05 AM   #238
Ram27
dumb

I've never sat down and read the lyrics now that I think about it. I remember reading on here a review of a Jimmy drum clinic where he said he was writing the drum part to feel exuberant and summery, the feeling of being out of school, etc etc. That's the vibe I get from the guitars too

The first verse is gorgeous:

Quote:
There used to be a time that i believed
The soft pouring rain was just the pouring rain
It wasn't me, but every new light that isn't shiny and bright
Will suspend the storms and the clouds in sight

Old 06-21-2019, 01:36 AM   #239
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 06-21-2019, 01:51 AM   #240
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarmu View Post
Where did you get to meet him after? I am raging I didnt think to stay around as I thought there would be no chance to meet him.
Side door, his van was parked there and a few fans were around. Doug was loadng the van, so it was easy to know.

Doug actually talked to us first, said Billy wouldn't pose for pictures or sign anything, but he would talk to us and that we could take as many pictures as we wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I will kiss anyone in the back door