Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #331
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
Dick butler - that is fucking fantastic!

Listen to one to one of mh albums instead. Much better.

WWW.THEMICRODANCE.BANDCAMP.COM

Thank me later. ♥️
Nah I’m good, you twat wrestler

Old 11-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #332
krackhead
Apocalyptic Poster

Maybe B0lly let rat bastard quinto remix the album and add all these female vocals.

Old 12-01-2020, 04:43 AM   #333
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

The female vocals sound x1000000 better than layered Billy vox (Knights of Malta)

I see the female vox as Billy actually addressing a legit complaint. They sound good on Cyr.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:53 AM   #334
Beta
Pledge

Jimmy's name butchered by p4k...

Old 12-01-2020, 06:07 AM   #335
Machinist
Ownz

5.5 on Pitchfork which seems fair. Ian Cohen is obviously a huge SP fan (and probably reads these boards) - his reviews are well balanced, and I imagine that like many of us he feels the disappointment with every BC/SP release.

Read it here (may contain snark):

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...-pumpkins-cyr/

Last edited by Machinist : 12-01-2020 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Too many Ians.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:08 AM   #336
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Ian Dunt or Ian Cohen?

Old 12-01-2020, 06:12 AM   #337
Machinist
Ownz

Ian Cohen - apologies, been reading political twitter this morning and clearly got confused. There should be less Ians.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:16 AM   #338
Machinist
Ownz

In terms of his reviews, Cohen is even-handed. I don't think I've disagreed with any of his SP related scores, and his enthusiasm and annoyances match my own.

He gave the Adore re-issue a 8.8:
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...umpkins-adore/

...and the mediocre Monuments a 6. It probably got extra points over CYR due to Drum & Fife, which he rightly points out is a fairly solid piece of BC songwriting:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...s-to-an-elegy/

Anyway, I'm sure the Sad Machines drones will be very upset this morning about it all.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #339
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

LOl, CYR gets slashed almost everywhere on the net and in newspapers.

mostly 4/10 or 2/5.... for most a complete fail!

good, that i like this shit....

and I completely understand people hating this....... yeah billy is really good at pissing off people but actually he is just chasing off the last willing listeners.

HAHAHHA,,, looking forward to the new vocals on MAchina!

I mean in 2000....machina got mediocre reviews

ahhahahahahahaha...i like those shitty childish songs....although i hate tyger, tyger

Old 12-01-2020, 06:39 AM   #340
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
In terms of his reviews, Cohen is even-handed. I don't think I've disagreed with any of his SP related scores, and his enthusiasm and annoyances match my own.

He gave the Adore re-issue a 8.8:
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...umpkins-adore/

...and the mediocre Monuments a 6. It probably got extra points over CYR due to Drum & Fife, which he rightly points out is a fairly solid piece of BC songwriting:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...s-to-an-elegy/

Anyway, I'm sure the Sad Machines drones will be very upset this morning about it all.
Unfortunately, production on Drum & Fife sounds terrible compared to Shiny-Cyr.
MTAE is suffering Zeitgeist syndrome, Bill please take it down from streaming sites or just... rerecord the thing with Jimmy and James.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:42 AM   #341
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Nah production on MTaE was pretty good. Good drum sound and good guitar sounds. Not sure what you’re finding fault with there. SoSB sounds terrible in comparison with the ultra compressed drums and Rubin brickwall treatment.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:53 AM   #342
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Nah production on MTaE was pretty good. Good drum sound and good guitar sounds. Not sure what you’re finding fault with there. SoSB sounds terrible in comparison with the ultra compressed drums and Rubin brickwall treatment.
I listened to Drum & Fife about an hour ago and it just sounded like shit tbh. I like Shiny's production better.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #343
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I listened to Drum & Fife about an hour ago and it just sounded like shit tbh. I like Shiny's production better.
I don't know what's broken in your eardrums. You just listed "Tyger, Tyger" in your dream tracklist tread ugh.

'Drum and Fife' isn't a great song, but it ain't a bad song either. I mean, it's one of the better songs from the past 20 years from Baldy.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #344
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackhead View Post
Maybe B0lly let rat bastard quinto remix the album and add all these female vocals.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #345
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Very reasonable review here, and it's pretty positive, too:

https://thequietus.com/articles/2930...ins-cyr-review

"There are Pumpkin fans and casual observers who will hate Cyr for what is isn’t (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness or Siamese Dream), who will miss those buzzsaw riffs, liquid solos, and the effective use of one of the most astounding rock drummers of his generation, here mostly contained and looped. That’s fair enough, but it doesn’t make Cyr an objectively bad record. Not doing what everyone expects, not taking the creatively easy path (and, presumably, the commercially appealing one) – that’s actually admirable. Even kind of badass, in a contrarian sort of way. Instead we must judge Cyr for what it actually is: good intentions, interesting sounds, and a handful of great songs; compromised by an inflexible house style. It makes listening to the album from start to finish an experience that is occasionally rewarding – especially with a decent set of headphones – but ultimately, well … trying. And that’s a shame. It’s a curious mix of a commendable ambition to move forward and a maddening stubbornness preventing that ambition growing past a certain point."

Old 12-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #346
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thumbs up

Billy Corgan has never been one to shy away from epic statements. Some of the most revered songs of the Smashing Pumpkins catalog were showcased in sprawling double-album-length productions, and even more concise releases wore Corgan's specific brand of grandiose arrangements and deep, unfiltered emotionality. Cyr, the 11th studio album to bear the Smashing Pumpkins name, is another example of Corgan's knack for creating massive albums, only this time translating layered guitar rock into dark, moody synth pop. Longtime followers of the band will recall them overhauling their sound in a similar way as early as 1998's Adore. Unlike the electronic tinges that added to the cold elegance of that album, however, Cyr puts the synths front and center. Guitars are mostly buried under warm synth pads, buzzing electronic bass, and a mixture of programmed beats and lockstep live drumming. Original Pumpkins guitarist James Iha and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin rejoined the band for 2018's Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1, and are on board again for Cyr, adding drive and dreaminess to Corgan's dark synth pop ruminations. Songs like "Confessions of a Dopamine Addict" and the sinister title track combine shadowy background vocal harmonies and stacks of Cure-informed synth lines for the kind of tense, trembling atmospheres the Pumpkins excel at. It's uncanny how easily the group's angsty guitar daydreaming translates into computerized rock. Their distinctive songwriting ache is present in the huge, glowing chorus of "Save Your Tears," just as their unique catharsis is communicated through the pounding four-on-the-floor rhythm and sinister synth stabs of "Adrennalynne" or the dizzying electronic polyrhythms of "Schaudenfreud." The angry metallic grooving of "Wyttch" is one of the few moments on Cyr where the band lean into the loud guitars and organic drums of their earliest albums. There's a grim intensity to many of the record's 20 tracks, but for every moment of brooding, there's one of sensitivity that's equally powerful. Gently melancholic tunes like "Dulcet in E" and "Birch Grove" are built with the same synth-heavy arrangements as the rest of the album, but their soft loneliness recalls other sadly beautiful songs the band have offered up since the early '90s. The desolate synth sounds and uneasy atmospheres of Cyr complement Corgan's narratives of tortured love and outsider perspectives. It's another epic statement rife with troubled beauty, presented from a slightly different angle but true to the spirit of longing and restless wonder that has defined the Smashing Pumpkins for over 30 years.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/cyr-mw0003422082

Old 12-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #347
tweedyburd
Ownz

Pitchfork - 5.5

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...-pumpkins-cyr/

Some solid points made here but the review is riddled with factual inaccuracies and the type of petty insults in the beginning that only fuels Billy's narrative about how he doesn't even get a fair shake.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #348
FoolofaTook

i have your home address. and i'm forwarding it to clay tuckett.

not a threat. just a warning.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #349
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
Very reasonable review here, and it's pretty positive, too:

https://thequietus.com/articles/2930...ins-cyr-review

"There are Pumpkin fans and casual observers who will hate Cyr for what is isn’t (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness or Siamese Dream), who will miss those buzzsaw riffs, liquid solos, and the effective use of one of the most astounding rock drummers of his generation, here mostly contained and looped. That’s fair enough, but it doesn’t make Cyr an objectively bad record. Not doing what everyone expects, not taking the creatively easy path (and, presumably, the commercially appealing one) – that’s actually admirable. Even kind of badass, in a contrarian sort of way. Instead we must judge Cyr for what it actually is: good intentions, interesting sounds, and a handful of great songs; compromised by an inflexible house style. It makes listening to the album from start to finish an experience that is occasionally rewarding – especially with a decent set of headphones – but ultimately, well … trying. And that’s a shame. It’s a curious mix of a commendable ambition to move forward and a maddening stubbornness preventing that ambition growing past a certain point."
This agrees with most of my formative feelings/notions about things

Old 12-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #350
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I didn’t like the pitchfork review. Definitely one of the times where I can agree with Corgan that it was an agenda driven review. Ian Cohen seemed more concerned with tearing down and insulting Corgan for past grievances than actually reviewing the record.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #351
tweedyburd
Ownz

Quote:
I didn’t like the pitchfork review. Definitely one of the times where I can agree with Corgan that it was an agenda driven review. Ian Cohen seemed more concerned with tearing down and insulting Corgan for past grievances than actually reviewing the record.
Exactly.

It's weird, I used to think Billy's ranting about this subject was 100% sour grapes for writing crap music, but this is actually a decent record if you approach it with no expectations and a clear head. The Pitchfork review is almost a parody of the treatments he's calling out in his recent interviews for this album's release.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #352
FoolofaTook

Lightbulb

Quote:
Netphoria seems more concerned with tearing down and insulting Corgan for past grievances than actually reviewing the record.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #353
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Nah much of that here is hyperbole and taking the piss. You have to put on a good show and Netphoria does. Just playing the heel and gaslighting sad machines 90% of the time. We’re just playing characters.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #354
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Pitchfork dude seemed pretty genuine & on point, honestly. Like someone mentioned before, the writer clearly seemed like someone who was at least a fan of the band's previous work not just the archetypical "Pfork Hipster" that seems to have still remained the stereotype for the site despite them actually doing away with a lot of the bullshit writing they used to do

Old 12-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #355
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

9/10 ?

Old 12-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #356
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

2/10 stars

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/cyr-smashing-pumpkins-2020

Old 12-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #357
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Billy Corgan has never been one to shy away from epic statements. Some of the most revered songs of the Smashing Pumpkins catalog were showcased in sprawling double-album-length productions, and even more concise releases wore Corgan's specific brand of grandiose arrangements and deep, unfiltered emotionality. Cyr, the 11th studio album to bear the Smashing Pumpkins name, is another example of Corgan's knack for creating massive albums, only this time translating layered guitar rock into dark, moody synth pop. Longtime followers of the band will recall them overhauling their sound in a similar way as early as 1998's Adore. Unlike the electronic tinges that added to the cold elegance of that album, however, Cyr puts the synths front and center. Guitars are mostly buried under warm synth pads, buzzing electronic bass, and a mixture of programmed beats and lockstep live drumming. Original Pumpkins guitarist James Iha and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin rejoined the band for 2018's Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1, and are on board again for Cyr, adding drive and dreaminess to Corgan's dark synth pop ruminations. Songs like "Confessions of a Dopamine Addict" and the sinister title track combine shadowy background vocal harmonies and stacks of Cure-informed synth lines for the kind of tense, trembling atmospheres the Pumpkins excel at. It's uncanny how easily the group's angsty guitar daydreaming translates into computerized rock. Their distinctive songwriting ache is present in the huge, glowing chorus of "Save Your Tears," just as their unique catharsis is communicated through the pounding four-on-the-floor rhythm and sinister synth stabs of "Adrennalynne" or the dizzying electronic polyrhythms of "Schaudenfreud." The angry metallic grooving of "Wyttch" is one of the few moments on Cyr where the band lean into the loud guitars and organic drums of their earliest albums. There's a grim intensity to many of the record's 20 tracks, but for every moment of brooding, there's one of sensitivity that's equally powerful. Gently melancholic tunes like "Dulcet in E" and "Birch Grove" are built with the same synth-heavy arrangements as the rest of the album, but their soft loneliness recalls other sadly beautiful songs the band have offered up since the early '90s. The desolate synth sounds and uneasy atmospheres of Cyr complement Corgan's narratives of tortured love and outsider perspectives. It's another epic statement rife with troubled beauty, presented from a slightly different angle but true to the spirit of longing and restless wonder that has defined the Smashing Pumpkins for over 30 years.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/cyr-mw0003422082
Nice review! You can generally count on the allmusic dicks to have level heads

Old 12-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #358
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Nice review! You can generally count on the allmusic dicks to have level heads
as in they love to give head to Billy Corgan

Old 12-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #359
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 12-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #360
FoolofaTook

i bet you if you gave me 2.5 minutes to go to town on your cock'n'balls you'd go from homophobe to pure daddy bear