Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #721
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
Why is he such a prick about the soniclovenoize tracklisting? He says it’s self important bullshit, which makes no sense
A lot of people are saying it's an asshole remark, and that's not untrue, but I think the bigger issue is just how self destructive it is to any business to treat their customers that way, and if we drop the pretense, he's a business and we're his customers. I think he behavior shows that he should be talking to a mental health professional about issues probably relating to anger management and a lack of self confidence, the former in relation to the latter, and that's a sincere observation, not meant to be an insult.

People with such problems often take the view that it's only a problem if it impacts your life, like you don't have a problem with rock collecting unless your rock collection somehow negatively impacts you or the people around you, I don't think anyone can argue at this point that Billy's abnormal reactions to various situations has caused serious damage to his career.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #722
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Sieh dir diesen Beitrag auf Instagram an

#MACHINA: the good news is that the archive on Machina is easily the most documented of the first 5 SP LP’s, the bad news is there is simply so much to go through that it’s hard to keep track. Given the high interest, I will endeavor to parse out the process. The media (digital tapes, home demos, 24 track reels, 2 track masters, and whatever safety backups exist of each) have to be gone through systemically; with a painstaking eye towards things easily missed; like a massive library stacked with books and their copies. Thus far, I’ve gone through about 80 pct of the DAT’s (digital audio cassettes, which were transferred to hard drives years ago). Sold as an economical form of storage in the 90’s, DAT’s have proven to be unreliable, as they degrade with age; and there are certainly instances here where good media has been ruined pre-transfer. And by ruined I mean you’ll be listening to a perfectly good take when there is a glitch or digital spike (essentially a computer-like ‘error’), for which there is no repair. So thankfully I went out of my way, and at great expense, to transfer these tapes 10 years or so ago. So back to the hunt, hard drive after hard drive of sessions, rough mixes, home demos made on the fly, live rehearsals, home sketches, picking anything with relevance and placing them into a pile so that I can compare and contrast what is the best ‘source’. For example, a rough mix of say ‘Try, Try, Try’ may have 5 iterations; with a mix made when all the guitars were finished with a quick vocal thrown on that is not the final vocal. Perhaps the lyrics are different, etc? And even if you have something listenable, there may be a backup that is the ‘same’ (IE an exact duplicate) that for whatever reason sounds better/clearer. So all round 2 music would need to be compared and contrasted for optimal audio. Then (and this is yet to come) you’d look to see if you had the original tapes, tapes that could be mixed anew; which if you chosen to go that route would need to be transferred digitally (figure 24-48 individual parts: vocals, guitars, bass, drums, keys). For often times something done in the moment can have more vibe but not as much fidelity.

Ein Beitrag geteilt von WilliamPatrickCorgan (@williampcorgan) am

Sieh dir diesen Beitrag auf Instagram an

#MACHINA-part 2: So, once all the DAT’s are gone through (the next, as yet untouched, DAT pile being live board tapes from 99-00) that leaves me with sourcing final 2-track masters; which is what you’d recognize as the familiar versions on Machina 1 and 2. But note, as yet we have little documentation what exact mix was used for any given song, so in some cases we might have to make an educated guess. For many songs might have 15-20 separate mixes (vocal up, vocal down, guitar up but with vocal down, etc). As well, I’d like to remix many songs for the final, resequenced and definitive Machina album. So after sourcing what 24 track masters we do have in storage, we are attempting to access the EMI database, with most of those tapes stored out of state. For Universal owns Machina 1 while we own Machina 2. But that does not mean a/ we have all of Machina 2 or b/ they have all of Machina 1. As well, some reels were stolen a few years ago (long story) from a local, Chicago studio. Assuming all can be ‘found’, for there are safety copies of all reels and even the stolen ones may have stored backups, all those would need to be transferred after being baked in a special oven (as the tapes tend to stick together over time, so care must be taken). Upon which I’d hire a mixer and dive in to recreate and mix fresh some 30-40 songs. This I spell out for those asking every day ‘when is this box set coming out?’ As of now, there is no easy answer.

Ein Beitrag geteilt von WilliamPatrickCorgan (@williampcorgan) am

Old 10-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #723
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I hope it was monte
Monte getting sued by Billy.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #724
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

OK I found out later Billy was referencing this http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot....glass-and.html I can see what that would piss off Billy. The guy acts like he knows what Billy is thinking before he even thinks it. Self-important was a fitting adjective.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #725
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

why do these updates on the machina reissue sound like nobody had lifted a finger before now. this was announced for 2013, talked about it back then, then "on hold due to legal issues" - now it sounds like he discovers the machina archive for the first time.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #726
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

View this post on Instagram

#MACHINA

A post shared by Smashing Pumpkins (@smashingpumpkins) on

Old 10-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #727
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Yeah fuck you a million times, Corgan. This was done by someone actually admiring your work and if i made it not clear enough, Machina fucking sucks.

Self-important, unlike something you would do right, Billy Christ?
Yeah of all the shit he's posted so far, this response was probably the most out of line

Old 10-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #728
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
why do these updates on the machina reissue sound like nobody had lifted a finger before now. this was announced for 2013, talked about it back then, then "on hold due to legal issues" - now it sounds like he discovers the machina archive for the first time.
“I was lying,” he grunts.

Is he lying now?

“What do you think?”

Old 10-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #729
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
he seems to forget a bunch of shit regarding this era. it's at least plausible he is the source of the leak and simply forgot. can someone DM him his own name?

Old 10-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #730
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
View this post on Instagram

#MACHINA

A post shared by Smashing Pumpkins (@smashingpumpkins) on

What song is this? Sounds pretty cool.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #731
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
The guy acts like he knows what Billy is thinking before he even thinks it. Self-important was a fitting adjective.
"The guy" posts here as soniclovenoize and I don't see how you can find that project anything other than a labor of love

Old 10-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #732
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
What song is this? Sounds pretty cool.
Wound, yeah? I hear the verse riff pretty clearly

Old 10-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #733
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
"The guy" posts here as soniclovenoize and I don't see how you can find that project anything other than a labor of love

luvin' u is a labor

Old 10-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #734
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Yes, it sounds like wound

Old 10-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #735
FoolofaTook

good job guys. i was going to stay up all night agonizing over what song that is but you have given me peace.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #736
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Huh. Yeah, that might be Wound. Wow, what a difference it makes when you remove Billy's awful vocals.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #737
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

There you are

Old 10-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #738
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot....glass-and.html

"Reconstructing Glass and The Machines of God is no easy task. Corgan has been extremely vague and cryptic about how it would have been constructed, in as much as leaking false numerical codes allegedly forming track sequences. Point of fact, of the 30-or-so songs recording during the sessions, Corgan has only divulged the narrative context of “Blue Skies Bring Tears”, “Speed Kills” and “With Every Light”. Luckily Corgan has leaked a blueprint of the song cycle itself with a list of 17 of the cycle’s songs, all offering varying ways the songs could fit into the cycle. Using this map, as well as song lyric interpretation matched with the synopsis of the album’s story written in Corgan’s typical superfluous prose, we are able to chart out a track sequence."

Aside from the numerous unnecessary insults towards Billy sprinkled all throughout the post, this paragraph here plainly states the intent to complete something Billy left unfinished, in Billy's place.

Imagine if a famous painter died before completing a painting, it would presumptuous and preposterous to think an art historian could finish the painting for on the artist's behalf by merely analyzing that artist's style, and applying their own interpretation of that style, and then further, try to imply they've somehow "mapped out" the artists intent through that subjective process. If I'm Billy and I see this, I'd think this guy didn't like that I chose to leave some piece of art unfinished, and so he presumed to finish it for me. To an artist, that must be very offensive.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #739
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

sure, or flattering, that someone would put all that time into it. If you're any artist except Billy Corgan, that is

Old 10-29-2018, 05:21 PM   #740
tweedyburd
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
This.

I seem to recall he made several posts/updates about diving into this reissue before he hit a legal snag, then shelved it.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #741
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, Billy is a bit of a cunt with his reaction. I didn't see anything wrong with the guy who tried to connection Machina. He did it out of love and it is not the definitive order. It amazes me what pisses Billy off and it's usual such a benign thing. Some of his responses on Instagram really makes him look like a douche.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:32 PM   #742
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
sure, or flattering, that someone would put all that time into it. If you're any artist except Billy Corgan, that is
There's nothing wrong with someone arranging the songs in a way that they believe tells a narrative, and even going so far as to justify their arrangement at length, but to act as though you're interpreting the intentions of the artist himself is offensive to an artist, who values their independence extremely highly. It's the same general reason Tracy Chapman sued Nicki Minaj, Minaj violated Chapman's control over her own artistic work. To an artist, their art is like their children, especially if they feel the art is revealing about them as people, and not just some impersonal commissioned work.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:32 PM   #743
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Imagine if a famous painter died before completing a painting, it would presumptuous and preposterous to think an art historian could finish the painting for on the artist's behalf by merely analyzing that artist's style, and applying their own interpretation of that style, and then further, try to imply they've somehow "mapped out" the artists intent through that subjective process. If I'm Billy and I see this, I'd think this guy didn't like that I chose to leave some piece of art unfinished, and so he presumed to finish it for me. To an artist, that must be very offensive.
you're not seriously this silly right? Corgan did not die and said dude never 'finished' machina as Corgan left it unfinished somewhere. it was finished, released, but apparently not in the way Corgan wanted and the dude just posted his ideal track list

don't trick yourself into believing Corgan is the Van Gogh of music

Old 10-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #744
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with someone arranging the songs in a way that they believe tells a narrative, and even going so far as to justify their arrangement at length, but to act as though you're interpreting the intentions of the artist himself is offensive to an artist, who values their independence extremely highly. It's the same general reason Tracy Chapman sued Nicki Minaj, Minaj violated Chapman's control over her own artistic work.
well ok lol I can't wait for the Corgan vs soniclovenoize trial

Old 10-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #745
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
bla bla bla
lol Who the fuck is this guy?

Old 10-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #746
FoolofaTook

HE

IS

A

TROLL

Old 10-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #747
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
you're not seriously this silly right? Corgan did not die and said dude never 'finished' machina as Corgan left it unfinished somewhere. it was finished, released, but apparently not in the way Corgan wanted and the dude just posted his ideal track list
If what you're saying were true, Corgan would not have felt insulted by it.

Quote:
don't trick yourself into believing Corgan is the Van Gogh of music
The fact that I used paintings as an example doesn't mean I'm comparing Corgan to Van Gogh.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #748
FoolofaTook

you also used nicky nimaj as an example

Old 10-29-2018, 06:15 PM   #749
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Talking

Quote:
If what you're saying were true, Corgan would not have felt insulted by it.
That famously level-headed and secure singer we all know and love, Billy, Corgan,,

Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #750
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
That famously level-headed and secure singer we all know and love, Billy, Corgan,,
Stoic exemplar of reasoned judgement and emotional maturity Billy Corgan didn't become upset because, quote "the dude just posted his ideal track list".