Old 11-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #122
Elphenor
Braindead

You don't realize how good you have it until you live anywhere else

Though ironic considering we elected The Terminator once fuck

Old 11-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #123
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I don't think any state is going to secede. We get that initial "this whomps, I'm seceding!" response every single election. Butthurt Texans were doing it last time. Just the logistics of it, I think the costs will pretty much always exceed the benefits.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #124
Elphenor
Braindead

Look I totally understand I'm a mirror image of an overzealous Republican the difference is I DIDN'T VOTE FOR MOTHERFUCKING DONALD TRUMP THERE HAS TO BE A LINE

Old 11-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #125
Elphenor
Braindead

I don't think that would happen today and I was all for Texas fucking off at the time

Cali is the 6th largest economy in the world by itself

Old 11-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #126
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Look I totally understand I'm a mirror image of an overzealous Republican the difference is I DIDN'T VOTE FOR MOTHERFUCKING DONALD TRUMP THERE HAS TO BE A LINE
I do think it would be false equivalence to compare this opposition to Trump to the backlash against Obama. People said Obama was "not their president" because he's a Kenyan Muslim atheist communist whatever. People are saying Trump is "not their president" because the guy supports hatred.

But I don't think the proper response is to take your ball and go home. Like it or not, Trump is your president. People can choose to just distance themselves from him by saying that he doesn't represent their values, or they can just realize that this guy is president for the next four years, so the task now is the coalesce the coalition to oppose him and fight him every step of the way so that horrible decisions aren't made in their names.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #127
Elphenor
Braindead

I wouldn't advocate any of it if it weren't for the electoral college

It's "not our president" because more than half the people living here despise him

Old 11-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #128
Elphenor
Braindead

I can't really answer that but I don't think so?

Especially if it's a Republican controlled gov hooray we got rid of California

Old 11-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #129
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Dems should undermine Trump at every turn. Do what was done to Obama but worse. In 2 years we can sweep Congress.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #130
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Hopefully they do that (there are enough of them in Congress to do some obstruction), but I feel like they won't. Democrats seem to often be weak and acquiescent.

I'm hoping that the anti-Trump Republicans also oppose his crazier actions, but I feel like they won't, either. I think that the only reason a lot of them were opposing him were because they thought he was unelectable and alienating voters, so they wanted to distance themselves from him. If Trump lost, they would just dump him and the Republican Party would go on as normal, Trump being treated like a temporary hijacking of the party by a "fake conservative."

Now that Trump has shown that there are enough reactionary pseudo-fascists out there to win an election, the Republicans don't have to worry about Trump making them "look bad," and the ones cautioning him about banning Muslims or building a wall will suddenly be gung-ho to do that shit. Some of them, of course, have principles (maybe Kasich? Rand Paul, perhaps?). Others may just hate him personally enough that they will never join him (Cruz? I mean, Trump insulted his wife and father). But a lot, I think, will cooperate with Trump fully (like Paul Ryan, who was probably only trying to distance himself from Trump earlier to secure his own 2020 campaign), and that's why this election is so frightening.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #131
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I always think that activism is more important than elections. That's why a Clinton presidency, though I'm not a big fan of her, would had been a positive thing. She might be for corporations, but civil society groups and pressure from the left could get her to pursue needed reforms, even if she was dragged there kicking and screaming (the same way Nader got Nixon to create the EPA, or how leftist coalitions brought civil rights reforms under Wilson and LBJ). All that stuff will be way harder with Trump.

But I think activism will be very important during the next four years to get the Democrats to be a party of the left again and to stick up for the working class, women, and minorities and oppose Trump. If they get complacent, Trump can do whatever he wants. If leftists get fucking mad and light a fire under the Democrats' asses, Trump can be checked.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #132
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
i mean you see them everywhere, at every turn

really? Netphoria there's just two that fit the description and one more so than the other. Most of the other libs are completely hoodwinked by the hive-mind philo of the centralized global governance cabal, but I wouldn't call them communist.

And even with scotty and RBG, so what if they are? Dems have the right to be the minority oppo party, but I would suggest you change the gameplan and get some fresh blood at the top. Now if they cross the rubicon to get paid by the Soros groups supporting agitators for uprisings, that's crossing the line into something else entirely.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #133
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Gotta post some memes up in this bitch

Old 11-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #134
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

California, Rest in Peace
Simultaneous Release

Old 11-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #135
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
I didn't vote

seriously though. sorry guys. my condolences.
If Democrats are so fucking smart then how come we lose so goddamned always? to quote that monologue from that show with Jeff Daniels.

A: Because they don't care about actual progress unless their club takes home the cake. Rather lose on their terms than let some outsider usher in a progressive platform

Old 11-10-2016, 11:05 PM   #136
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Old 11-10-2016, 11:08 PM   #137
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
If Democrats are so fucking smart then how come we lose so goddamned always? to quote that monologue from that show with Jeff Daniels.

A: Because they don't care about actual progress unless their club takes home the cake. Rather lose on their terms than let some outsider usher in a progressive platform
actually because republicans have rigged local districts in their favor and our system does not respect popular vote but good try

Old 11-10-2016, 11:22 PM   #138
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
Rigged huh? That sounds like someone else I know...
do you know what gerrymandering means? I would tell you to go back to school but it would be like watching billy madison with a sad ending

Old 11-10-2016, 11:25 PM   #139
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Rigged huh? That sounds like someone else I know...
Lol, Republicans have gerrymandered districts to shit, and implement voter ID laws in order to disenfranchise those least likely to have certain forms of ID. North Carolina Republicans were even bragging about the low black turnout in their area.

Recognizing this isn't the same as thinking that George Soros hacked all the polling machines or that a party can somehow coordinate a mass rigging of thousands of polling stations all over the country.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #140
iB0lly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Lol, Republicans have gerrymandered districts to shit, and implement voter ID laws in order to disenfranchise those least likely to have certain forms of ID. North Carolina Republicans were even bragging about the low black turnout in their area.

Recognizing this isn't the same as thinking that George Soros hacked all the polling machines or that a party can somehow coordinate a mass rigging of thousands of polling stations all over the country.
These black voters were not disenfranchised, they were just on the wrong side of history. It happens sometimes.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #141
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
voter ID whining is the most laughable thing ever. You need an ID to do every fucking thing in this country now. Why would you not need one to do the most important thing that a citizen can do in a democracy? It's not like it's even hard to get an ID. Democrats are just pissed because they'd like to be able to round up all the drunks and homeless on election day and bus them in to vote in exchange for a mcmuffin and the voter ID laws fuck that up.
Are you saying that homeless people shouldn't have the right to vote?

Ten per cent of Americans do not have a photo ID. That's a sizable portion.

Meanwhile, there have been 31 possible cases of voter fraud in the last 15 years. That is an extremely small percentage of votes. Voter fraud isn't even rational for voters, because they would be risking heavy legal penalties just to put an extra ballot in the box that would barely affect anything.

The harms of voter ID laws vastly outweigh the benefits and therefore they are unjustifiable.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #142
iB0lly
Banned

If the homeless person is an illegal, then no they should not be allowed to vote.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:56 PM   #143
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Thousands of people showed up tonight for #NotMyPresident rally. We did a long march through the city. Thought shutting down traffic would piss people off, but motorist were high fiving us and honking in support. Very inspiring These kids are alright. Really proud of my city and the people here.

tried taking pics of the march, but the ones already on line are better.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #144
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I hope that the activism and demonstrating doesn't fizzle out. Maybe when it comes to bills furthering the Trump agenda that Dems will need to obstruct, protesters will go to their properties and make demands that they vote the way the people they are representing want them to. It'd be cool if this grassroots activism created an actual force within American politics akin to the Tea Party's. The Occupy movement fizzled out and never went anywhere.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #145
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by iB0lly View Post
If the homeless person is an illegal, then no they should not be allowed to vote.
picardfacepalm.txt

Old 11-11-2016, 12:07 AM   #146
iB0lly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
Thousands of people showed up tonight for #NotMyPresident rally. We did a long march through the city. Thought shutting down traffic would piss people off, but motorist were high fiving us and honking in support. Very inspiring These kids are alright. Really proud of my city and the people here.

tried taking pics of the march, but the ones already on line are better.

I guess this is the new way of letting off some steam. Shut down traffic and pretend you're making an impact. And how is this going to turn michigan and PA blue again exactly?

Actually, let me know when you show up to the next rally so that I can drive down and run you over a couple times.

Last edited by iB0lly : 11-11-2016 at 12:16 AM.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:10 AM   #147
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
picardfacepalm.txt
"Poor people should have freedoms? Well, what if that poor person committed double homicide? Checkmate."

Old 11-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #148
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Well, it makes sense. Like what the fuck, why can't you get a job and get a house, you lazy stupid fucks? It's a buyer's market!

Old 11-11-2016, 12:17 AM   #149
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i think the Occupy demonstrations build solidarity.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:19 AM   #150
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
i think the Occupy demonstrations build solidarity.
They really did nothing, even though the sentiment was right.