Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #181
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
there's emma doing that thing emma does again no one cares about

maybe rbg will back you up later
oh ******

I guess if you're here posting at least we know you're not busying yourself with photographs of minors

Old 08-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #182
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
there's emma doing that thing emma does again no one cares about
Reminds me of 39,817 posts by someone else

Old 08-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #183
Eulogy
huh

South Park did the same joke as the Louis ck bit but it worked better because you know, they're children

It still wasn't great

Last edited by Eulogy : 08-10-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #184
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Farts and bowel movements deserved the stigma attached to them

Old 08-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #185
Alice
Minion of Satan

I was working with kids for a while and they would use the word gay as an insult pretty much constantly. Anytime I tried to discuss it with them they would give a less thought out version of the same justification Louis or South Park used. Take that to mean what you will

Old 08-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #186
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

It's toxic culture

Old 08-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #187
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Some Seinfeld money goes to Steve bannon

Old 08-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #188
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Being a fat woman is probably the worst - it's still considered fair game to laugh about fat girls/women in mainstream media. Most fat girls/women don't choose to be fat any more than someone chooses to be gay.

I'm pretty sure that the sort of people who object to jokes that punch down on gay people also object to jokes that punch down on fat people.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #189
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I was working with kids for a while and they would use the word gay as an insult pretty much constantly. Anytime I tried to discuss it with them they would give a less thought out version of the same justification Louis or South Park used. Take that to mean what you will
Right. So maybe Louis CK isn't guilty of making a joke out of "less thought out version". He didn't insult someone and then make a joke out of how it's ok that he used a term for a gay person. Maybe he did, but my impression of the joke is that it's observational humour, just reflecting on experiences and ideas. If he had insulted someone in real life and then said afterwards 'oh it's ok, I use faggot like this, so it doesn't actually refer to gay guys', that would be different.

He was reflecting on his own experience using the word, and how - as someone who is not anti-gay, and who doesn't believe being gay is a bad thing - he used it in a situation where somebody gave him the shits, and how ironic it is that you could be totally ok with someone being gay but still have a need for a word like faggot as an insult.

When I said his intentions are clearer if you watch the whole set, I do believe that to be true. He paints himself as an asshole, a pathetic, weak, selfish asshole - so there's no way he's saying that he doesn't think the word faggot is bad, so why don't we all just use it. He's just talking about his own experiences a a flawed individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
I'm pretty sure that the sort of people who object to jokes that punch down on gay people also object to jokes that punch down on fat people.
Right, I agree with that. But not all fat people jokes are punching down. Louis CK makes a lot of fat people jokes, but he mostly does it by talking about himself. A lot of fat people laugh pretty hard at fat people jokes - even the ones that do punch down.

I only mentioned that because I wanted Eulogy to know that I do understand how shitty it feels when people take a joke the wrong way - basically as an excuse to be wilfully ignorant and unkind - because as a class of person, I'm also marginalised and bear the brunt of a lot of jokes.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:50 PM   #190
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Is obesity sufficiently analogous to homosexuality, though?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #191
Eulogy
huh

Wow vixnix you really want to be able to laugh at lazy faggot jokes.

Just trust me on this one maybe ?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #192
Eulogy
huh

Louis ck is a fairly lightly but still overweight man.

He's not kind of gay.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 AM   #193
Eulogy
huh

And to insinuate that I took his joke the wrong way is insulting. It's. A. Bad. Joke.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #194
Eulogy
huh

"So it doesn't actually refer to gay guys" was the whole point of the bit. Why are you choosing this hill to die on?????

Old 08-11-2017, 12:14 AM   #195
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Is obesity sufficiently analogous to homosexuality, though?
I'm not sure the answer to this question matters. Comedy shouldn't be lazy.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:24 AM   #196
Bread Regal
Banned

thanks vixnix for providing a belabored explanation of the premise of that joke.

i didn't mean gay as in "gay" i meant gay as in "lame". stop being such a sissy pussy faggot and learn to take a joke. i love gay people (no homo).

Old 08-11-2017, 12:24 AM   #197
Eulogy
huh

"I'm a pathetic weak selfish asshole but at least I'm not a faggot."

Even he doesn't defend this. I'm so confused as to why you are.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:30 AM   #198
vixnix
Socialphobic

I don't want to die on this hill. But have you watched the bit? Have you watched that entire show?

To make as good a living as he has, out of comedy, there is no room for lazy jokes. He toured with that joke and told it in like 20 places maybe? It's completely scripted, start to finish. The pitch of his voice, the inflection, the hand movements, it's all scripted and practiced so it's repeatable. It's a good bit and it gets a laugh from a pro-queer audience member like me because it's not anti gay.

Which stand ups do you like? Do you have any Favourite bits?

I don't want to insinuate that you took the joke the wrong way. There is no right or wrong way to take a joke. But I'm asking you to consider the possibility that he can tell the joke and I can laugh at it without either of us thinking being gay is funny - without that being part of the joke.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #199
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
thanks vixnix for providing a belabored explanation of the premise of that joke.

i didn't mean gay as in "gay" i meant gay as in "lame". stop being such a sissy pussy faggot and learn to take a joke. i love gay people (no homo).
Have you watched the bit? It isn't anything like this. He actually explains why he used it as a kid, why he doesn't now, and why he misses using it.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 AM   #200
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
"I'm a pathetic weak selfish asshole but at least I'm not a faggot."

Even he doesn't defend this. I'm so confused as to why you are.
Well...that isn't how I hear the joke and I don't understand why you would ascribe that sentiment to it.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:36 AM   #201
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

this argument died on a hill long ago

Old 08-11-2017, 12:36 AM   #202
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
a pro-queer audience member like me
an LGBT ally wouldn't be arguing this point with an actual gay person.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:38 AM   #203
Bread Regal
Banned

"let me tell you why you're wrong to be offended by a joke that has literally played a role in your literal oppression"

Old 08-11-2017, 12:38 AM   #204
Eulogy
huh

I've watched the bit dozens of times and have heard people defend it dozens more.

Again, the man himself has disavowed it! It is anti gay and it's irresponsible. You don't hear the joke that way because you're not a faggot. Again, consider taking my word for this one. Please. We have all laughed at things we shouldn't have. Doesn't mean it deserves a defense.

As for stand up? Most of it is bad. I like mike birbiglia.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:39 AM   #205
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
this argument died on a hill long ago
I mean you kind of started it.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:41 AM   #206
vixnix
Socialphobic

So you're an 'LBGT ally' evaluator now. If you'll just point me to the correct page in the rule book we can examine the phrasing of that particular stipulation together

Old 08-11-2017, 12:41 AM   #207
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
So you're an 'LBGT ally' evaluator now. If you'll just point me to the correct page in the rule book we can examine the phrasing of that particular stipulation together
I don't want to get involved but it does generally require listening to LGBT people

Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #208
Eulogy
huh

I'm not going to tell a black person they're wrong for how they react to a white comedian basing a bit on the word nigger

I imagine that makes sense to you. Why doesn't this?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #209
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I don't want to get involved but it does generally require listening to LGBT people
and to not deny the validity of their personal experience

Old 08-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #210
Eulogy
huh

Just saying I'm an ally of black people doesn't make it ok. That's obvious, yes?