Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #1261
Mo
Immortal

The ending of the Hunger Games saga was such a disappointment, and really only about her choice of penis. #TeamGale

Watched Mission:Impossible and M:I2 recently. I loved Brain DePalma's movie as a kid, but it really didn't hold up to well. And the second one was just ridiculous, even for John Woo. Fucking motorcycle fight.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #1262
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Watched "Phoenix". Wow. Very good. 5 out of 5

Old 12-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #1263
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

fucking Nazis! Fuck you, Grandpa!

Old 12-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #1264
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The premise was a bit much to swallow, I found.

It's as if it took place on an alternate plane of existence in which humanity traded away the ability to recognize the voices and bodies of close loved ones for unbelievably advanced facial reconstruction surgery.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #1265
strokous
Pledge

Saw What We Do In The Shadows, 4/5, was a lot funnier than i expected

Old 12-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #1266
fuzzyroes
Banned

Watched Ted 2 against last night. Fuck, it's actually really hilarious. I don't usually laugh out loud during movies but this one has me cracking up throughout it. Walhburgs really great in it.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 12-18-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:59 PM   #1267
fuzzyroes
Banned

Theres this scene with Walhburg and Ted in a meeting with a lawyer and theres this bowl of candy on the desk. Once the meetings over Walhburg asks: " are those hard-candys there to be had?" and the lawyer just looks at him for a few seconds grabs the bowl away and says: no they're not supposed to be up here" and they show Walhburg and he just looks all sad

Old 12-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #1268
SOUL PWR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I watched Nymphomaniac: Vol. 1, last night.

Wow, basically. I'm still kind of processing it, but it was definitely captivating and I'll probably slot in the second part at some point in the very near future. My biggest complaint would have to be the use of that Rammstein song, which was totally out of place and only harmed an otherwise immaculate opening.

Anybody else seen it?
Yeah, saw both of them (though not the extended cuts - which I imagine really just have more pussy and cock, for the most part.) I liked both movies, gave you a lot to think about. I thought it tried a little too hard to be intellectual at times, some of those bits I thought were a little too complex for the story to be practical. But what was really interesting to me is the subject matter of nymphomania itself. Being a nymphomaniac is something people joke about, but the movie really explores the depths of this woman's mental disease and how utterly life-destroying it is. The movie stays with you. I saw it probably over half a year ago and I still find myself randomly thinking about a number of its scenes sometimes.

The ending of part 2 was frustrating as hell, though.

Last edited by SOUL PWR : 12-18-2015 at 11:33 PM.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:44 PM   #1269
SOUL PWR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
bump

watched Cropsey on Netflix. I give it a B. they did a good job of creating a narrative out of the urban myth. But they also did a shit job of actual journalism and investigation. For instance, there's a point in the film where they show one person after another claiming that Staten Island is filled with satanists that practice ritual sacrifice. But there's no evidence for that. Not in Staten Island and not anywhere else in the US. But the film makers don't mention that back in the 80s when the murders discussed in the film happened there was a satanism scare going on. There were people all over the country being accused of murders in the name of Satanism. But none of it was true. It was all just mass hysteria.

IMO these filmakers cared more about creating a creepy narrative than actually fact checking the murder cases they built the film around.

it is engrossing and entertaining, though.

I don't mean to negate the importance of quantifiable evidence - but where there's smoke, there's very often a source of some kind. How does one count as evidence missing cats? Or is it so hard for a woman to get pregnant, not go to the doctor, cover it up well, and then do something to either have the child pre-maturely and ritually kill it, or have it on time and ritually kill it? It depends on the circumstances of course, but it's not unfeasible. There are plenty of sick fucks to go around who do sickening shit like this, I guarantee you. Saying "but there's no evidence" doesn't mean it isn't real or doesn't happen on a surprising scale.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #1270
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

lol ted

shine on fuzzy!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #1271
fuzzyroes
Banned

lol I'm telling you guys, Ted 2's actually some funny shit.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #1272
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
The premise was a bit much to swallow, I found.

It's as if it took place on an alternate plane of existence in which humanity traded away the ability to recognize the voices and bodies of close loved ones for unbelievably advanced facial reconstruction surgery.
it's an old trope (Count of Monte Cristo, for example). it's the one thing you're supposed to accept to buy into the rest of the narrative.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:43 AM   #1273
redbull
Immortal

Trainwreck - C

I generally enjoy Amy Schumer but this was just bad

Fargo season one - A

this is so great

also Mo, you should watch Enter the Void

Old 12-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #1274
FoolofaTook

damn I wanna see the new fargo.

that is such a great idea, remaking the movie thru series. which do you think is better, season I or II?

and enter the void is a total mindfuck.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #1275
FoolofaTook

you guys heard anything about the coens making a film about the jesus character?

I thought I read something about that somewhere at sometime.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #1276
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
damn I wanna see the new fargo.

that is such a great idea, remaking the movie thru series. which do you think is better, season I or II?
havent watched season 2 yet...its less of a remake of the movie than it is twin peaks with more snow

Old 12-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #1277
FoolofaTook

oh

well season one was pretty tight

Old 12-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #1278
FoolofaTook

i watched it in prison, which lent it a criminal tint

Old 12-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #1279
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The second one, I found, was significantly more enjoyable and far more accurately captured that Coen-y feeling.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:41 AM   #1280
redbull
Immortal

starting season two now chugga chugga chugga

Old 12-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #1281
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

the martian -

absolute bollocks. really disappointed. it's one of the least believable films i've ever seen in my life. i mean come on, a guy gets stranded out on fucking mars, and he's cracking jokes the whole movie through, while pulling mcgyver manuevers on a daily basis. how is it possible everybody raved about this film? i don't get it. yeah the problem solving may be smart, but that's what makes a good book, not a good movie.

also i thought the mars backdrop was really fake and not believeable. it just looks like a desert. not mars. and despite all the scientific hoorah, so much of it is still absurd.
last beef - matt damon actually says at one point "i have to science the shit out of this" or something. gah. boo!

Old 01-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #1282
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

hateful eight

anybody watch this one?
tarantino films are always a treat. they tend to be self indulgent, though, and this one is no exception. not the best editing. it's 3 hours long and could have easily been shorter without detracting from it.
without spoiling anything, it doesn't amount up to much - just a lot of senseless violence. almost like an exploitation film. no real resolution or conclusion. samuel l. jackson and edward giggins are really great on this though. worth the price of admission alone. overall - enjoyable, if lacking in some areas

Old 01-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #1283
Cool As Ice Cream

the big lebowski - 10 lols out of 10

Old 01-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #1284
Mo
Immortal

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed The Martian; it felt lovingly crafted, almost tender. Of course the fantastic soundtrack helped a lot as well.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #1285
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

haha i was just saying how much i hated it like 3 posts back

Old 01-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #1286
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
hateful eight

anybody watch this one?
tarantino films are always a treat. they tend to be self indulgent, though, and this one is no exception. not the best editing. it's 3 hours long and could have easily been shorter without detracting from it.
without spoiling anything, it doesn't amount up to much - just a lot of senseless violence. almost like an exploitation film. no real resolution or conclusion. samuel l. jackson and edward giggins are really great on this though. worth the price of admission alone. overall - enjoyable, if lacking in some areas
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #1287
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

just saw the big short. solid B. dont think they could have done it better tbh, it's just not the type of film that i find the most value in and therefore a B is the highest it can get.

i really liked the cutaway explanations and how the plot was all centered around the viewer really understanding what was happening and not drama between characters etc. this topic needed this type of movie.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:25 AM   #1288
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film.
in the few days that have passed i find myself smirking at memories of some scenes, but i also realized that film is really unconfortably misogynistic.

the (sole) female characters is abused by brute characters the entire film through, and on many occasions it's cinematically treated almost as a comic relief.
definitely didn't feel good for me to see a woman humiliated and beaten down like that but it's only a movie i guess

Old 01-07-2016, 05:31 AM   #1289
T&T
Socialphobic

Lost in Space (1999)
5/10

If you missed it 17 years ago, you haven't missed much.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #1290
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

The Big Short

Got angry, laughed my ass off, and left the theater chilled to the bone. Very entertaining and well-made and I like how they made the complicated material understandable in a way that was both hilarious and not insulting to the audience's intelligence. Not perfect, but very solid.

A-

The Hateful Eight

Was not my favorite Tarantino movie, but it was still entertaining. Could have done without (minor spoiler) seeing a naked white guy in the snow fellate Samuel L. Jackson. Still, an enjoyable, if overlong, mystery. Don't get all the hype about Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance...she really didn't do much other than scowl and get punched, but whatever.

B-

The Revenant

One helluva well-made film featuring some of the most gorgeous cinematography I've ever seen in a movie, a beautiful score, intense action and knockout performances by Leonardo Dicaprio and Tom Hardy. Bogged down a few times but never irredeemably so. Liked it a lot...and I mean a LOT.

A- / A