Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #211
Run To Me
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
A powerful, inflammatory statement followed by an interesting theory that ultimately holds no water.

Was Pete Townshend 'fucking stupid', as you put it, to have Roger Daltry sing a vast majority of his songs? Or Tom Scholtz? Was he 'fucking stupid' for having Brad Delp sing his songs?

I'm sure there are people out there who might thing they were 'fucking stupid' for doing so, but I'm also sure that there are a vast majority of people who feel that Townshend and Scholtz made the right choices.

Just think how amazing "Bullet with Butterfly Wings", "Muzzle" or "The Everlasting Gaze" would have sounded with a good vocalist... instead, we got Billy, with his whiny, weak and nasally voice and for some strange reason people want to celebrate that.
Lol jellys on a rampage fuck this bill music get him so fired up!!!!!

Old 08-29-2017, 03:36 AM   #212
reprise85
Submortal

Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.

It is not inflammatory to acknowledge that those songs are highly personal and the person who wrote them would likely have the most emotion invested in the songs and that would be conveyed in their voice. That would be true even no matter how terrible they sounded. Billy didn't sound terrible, but obviously not great. But his emotional connection to the songs is palpable

Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 AM   #213
smashingjj
Immortal

Location: my mother, my anus, mayfuck, his mother, reverting and cunt amoebes; the story of my life as a fisherman's wife on mars. now in stores. if you get it before may 30, you'll receive a free coupon to hand it in and get your money back.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Patrick Corgan
I think I'm trying to make peace with a lot of things, you know, one of which is my voice. I don't sing as well as I would like to...
let's put the vocals way up front nonetheless! classic corgan reasoning

Old 08-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #214
SPLATTER
Pledge

i haven't found anyone on social media excited by this song

Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #215
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

https://twitter.com/montelds?lang=en

Old 08-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #216
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATTER View Post
I have not heard anyone even mention this song on social media.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:56 PM   #217
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I have not heard anyone even mention this song on social media.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #218
Shadaloo
Demi-God

Location: put those panties back on the line and get the hell out of my yard

According to Strawberry's instagram he's shaved the beard.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #219
Ram27
Apocalyptic Poster

absolutely groundbreaking

Old 08-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #220
Ram27
Apocalyptic Poster

also i liked the beard

Old 08-29-2017, 03:00 PM   #221
DaveKShape
Ownz

In locations with multiply shows "The first set still being new, but with a different flow, the second totally different songs ".

Old 08-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #222
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

No way the second set is totally different songs.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #223
amoergosum
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 08-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #224
Poots
Minion of Satan

Hey billy its fucking August take off the fucking sweatshirt amiright comrades?

Old 08-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #225
Poots
Minion of Satan

Wave it round like a helicopter.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #226
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic

Mann, after having some time to let this song sink in after a handful of listens over several days, I can sincerely say that it sucks. For a simple piano ballad, it's amazing how bad Rubin screwed the pooch on production. And man... Can't Billy write a song anymore? Even check out this piano ballad by the Beach Boys former drummer Dennis Wilson.... Way better production, better creative melodies... and It's by a Beach Boy drummer.... Wasn't Corgan once prolific? Even often heralded as the best songwriter of the generation? What the hell happened...

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 08-29-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #227
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATTER View Post
Dude, if you read Reddit you'd think he released something better than Siamese Dream.

[–]halfmast 9 points 7 days ago

Was not expecting something this direct and straightforward. It sounds really powerful and full. When his voice lands on that towering chord from the piano and strings on the second part of the chorus I get goosebumps.

If the rest of the album is in this style it could be Billy's Sea Change/Morning Phase.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #228
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic

[–]Bleejis_Krilbin 4 points 7 days ago

I thought this was Coldplay at first. I like a lot of early Coldplay, though, so that's not an issue to me. Haha. For what it's worth, the production sounds really good to me. Not sure what the other tracks will sound like with more instruments mixed in. I like the track overall. It's like MCIS with a sample of Teargarden.

permalinkembedreport

Old 08-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #229
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic

Classic Billy story here:

[–]juanwayne 2 points 6 days ago

Wait he actually blamed everyone at the tfe release about not pushing the album haha? Classic billy. I was lucky enough to see a show on that tour. Before the show i saw him walking around (nyc) with his bodyguard. The funny part was he was a lot bigger than his bodyguard. Anyway, i mustered the courage to let him know im excited for the show tonight. He threw his hand up like dont bother me kid while his bodyguard gave me a death stare. I didnt even ask for an autograph

Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #230
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic

man people can't seem to get enough of this shit

[–]Raven616 2 points 7 days ago

It's very refreshing to hear his music so stripped down and simple. It's very cool, and I can't wait to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. I'm hoping we get more cool acoustic stuff like Cardinal Rule or something.

[–]gredgexPisces Iscariot 5 points 7 days ago

i love it! really not much to say otherwise, its like a vocal track put to MCIS, which is a great thing.

[–]ShatteringLast 2 points 7 days ago

Nothing deep in this comment... but I really fucking like it. My one nitpick is that it ends and I keep having to replay it. Too short!

Old 08-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #231
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
It is not inflammatory to acknowledge that those songs are highly personal and the person who wrote them would likely have the most emotion invested in the songs and that would be conveyed in their voice. That would be true even no matter how terrible they sounded. Billy didn't sound terrible, but obviously not great. But his emotional connection to the songs is palpable
I'm sorry, I just can't buy the "the song's a personal song so the bad singer who wrote it should sing it" argument.

Compare versions of The Who's "Love, Reign o'er Me", one version featuring Pete Townshend on vocals, and another featuring Roger Daltry on vocals, especially that end "Love" @ 4:36 on Townshend's version and 4:59 on Daltry's:

Pete Townshend vocal:

Roger Daltry vocal:

Whichever one you prefer is entirely subjective, but it's pretty obvious that Daltry did an amazing job interpreting a song that Townshend wrote and took it to a level that Townshend could never achieve. Daltry's ability to articulate his own emotional connection is palpable here.

This example shows how just because someone didn't write a song, doesn't mean that he can't do a better job singing it/interpreting it than the writer did, no matter how 'highly personal' the song might be.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #232
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic

[–]Kyle_Craig 2 points 6 days ago

hey I thought it was kinda nice!

[–]TheFlatypusAdore 2 points 7 days ago

It's got that Mellon Collie piano and strings with Billy's newer style of vocals, I hope the rest is just as good!

[–]LowSelfEstidle 1 point 1 day ago

Really love this song. It's been stuck in my head all week. The main chord progression (D - A - E) reminds me of "Muzzle."

Old 08-29-2017, 09:21 PM   #233
reprise85
Submortal

Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just can't buy the "the song's a personal song so the bad singer who wrote it should sing it" argument.

Compare versions of The Who's "Love, Reign o'er Me", one version featuring Pete Townshend on vocals, and another featuring Roger Daltry on vocals, especially that end "Love" @ 4:36 on Townshend's version and 4:59 on Daltry's:

Pete Townshend vocal:

Roger Daltry vocal:

Whichever one you prefer is entirely subjective, but it's pretty obvious that Daltry did an amazing job interpreting a song that Townshend wrote and took it to a level that Townshend could never achieve. Daltry's ability to articulate his own emotional connection is palpable here.

This example shows how just because someone didn't write a song, doesn't mean that he can't do a better job singing it/interpreting it than the writer did, no matter how 'highly personal' the song might be.
I'm not saying someone else "shouldn't" sing songs another person wrote. I just don't think you can say Billy's voice sucked, so someone else singing would have made the songs even better. It worked, despite his voice sucking. The band may or may not have done just as well (or better) with another vocalist. There's nothing wrong with the way the band did evolve, and no reason to think it definitely would have been better with a standalone singer.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #234
Ram27
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
[]Bleejis_Krilbin 4 points 7 days ago

I thought this was Coldplay at first. I like a lot of early Coldplay, though, so that's not an issue to me. Haha. For what it's worth, the production sounds really good to me. Not sure what the other tracks will sound like with more instruments mixed in. I like the track overall. It's like MCIS with a sample of Teargarden.

permalinkembedreport
it's like a nice slice of pizza with some mold on it

Old 08-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #235
Ram27
Apocalyptic Poster

i haven't heard the song since last week or whatever. it hasn't stuck in my head and i can't be bothered checking it out again

and that's the story of the band

Old 08-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #236
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Be fair, Oceania was an effort.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:06 PM   #237
teh b0lly!!1
Socialphobic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Patrick Corgan
I think I'm trying to make peace with a lot of things, you know, one of which is my voice. I don't sing as well as I would like to...
where is this quote coming from? link?

Old 08-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #238
teh b0lly!!1
Socialphobic

just gave it another spin to be decent.

this song really just sounds horrible from top to bottom, and not even because i don't like corgan anymore.

the piano sound is so synthetic it literally sounds like a poorly programmed VST plugin (it could very well be, i'm honestly not sure), the playing is dull, boring and void of any nuance - just heavy handed hammering on the chords. and most of all, those vocals that are so ridiculously up front, with that constant vibrato and cutting off of first syllables of words.

this is just really bad. the song itself would be listenable if only the execution was somehow decent, but as it is it sounds like a bad demo.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 08-29-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:26 PM   #239
noonoo
Demi-God

best song ever!

Old 08-29-2017, 10:37 PM   #240
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
where is this quote coming from? link?
This came from Post #199 in this thread:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...&postcount=199