Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan

Default i'm going down to the usaf recruiting office tomorrow

hey redwinecage, you've taken the asvab. everyone is telling me that shit is easy. i kind of want to take it just to see what kind of job they'll give me. i'll probably enlist if they'll let me play in the band.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster

Good luck if you sign up Thaniel. From what I understand, the hardest thing is getting through the Iraq tours, so...

Iraq is fucking hot. That's what I've heard from most of my friends and classmates. Fucking hot like you wouldn't believe. That'll be tough. Apparently once you get through that it's not so bad.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel Buckner View Post
hey redwinecage, you've taken the asvab. everyone is telling me that shit is easy. i kind of want to take it just to see what kind of job they'll give me. i'll probably enlist if they'll let me play in the band.
The ASVAB is hella easy, nothing at all to worry about unless you're an idiot. You do not strike me as an idiot.
However, I don't know the ins and out of what kind of scores u need in what areas to get what jobs.
And since I have coworkers from all branches, my AF coworks say the AF is ace; def less chance of getting a shit job than the army, marines, etc.

I'd imagine if your scores are good enough, tell them you want X job or nothing.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:25 AM   #4
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
I'd imagine if your scores are good enough, tell them you want X job or nothing.
Unless it's changed, I think they'll let you pick what field you want to work in, but not the specific job... that was almost 10 years ago though, no telling now.

Good luck. I didn't figure you the military type...

Old 06-08-2008, 02:30 AM   #5
Debaser
ghost

ASVAB was easy as hell as far as I can remember. I took it over 10 years ago to humor myself. It was for army and after they scored my test they offered me helicopter mechanic as the field they would want to put me in. I didn't sign.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:09 AM   #6
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
ASVAB was easy as hell as far as I can remember. I took it over 10 years ago to humor myself. It was for army and after they scored my test they offered me helicopter mechanic as the field they would want to put me in. I didn't sign.
My brother was a helicopter mechanic. He said it was a pretty sweet day to day gig...of course, this was before he went to iraq for a year.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:12 AM   #7
D.
Consume my pants.

Jen can def tell you more, but you also gotta remember basic training.

Though, as long as you're not the homesick type, don't mind losing your hair, and you resign yourself to losing your "pride" for a while, it should be ok.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:14 AM   #8
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I hear if you're completely psychotic they give you the job of helicopter pilot, but that's coming from my grandfather who's been retired from the USAF since a couple years after 'Nam.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan

i'm not sure im that attached to my hair. and it's something to do. and i'll get ripped maybe. the air force just appears to have a lot more jobs with air conditioning.

there's a lot of homophobia in the military too. and a lot of dudes constantly reasserting their masculinity. these are things to be considered.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:35 AM   #10
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Quote:
i'm not sure im that attached to my hair. and it's something to do. and i'll get ripped maybe. the air force just appears to have a lot more jobs with air conditioning.

there's a lot of homophobia in the military too. and a lot of dudes constantly reasserting their masculinity. these are things to be considered.
my 3 years in i think i worked outside a grand total of 4 1/2 hours

just make sure you get in a decent job that transfers well into the civilian world

make sure its one you wouldnt mind doing out in the civilian world

don't be fooled by enlistment bonuses

do something medical imo... they even have photography and graphic design... its pretty easy to dodge physical labor in the air force

Old 06-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #11
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
I hear if you're completely psychotic they give you the job of helicopter pilot, but that's coming from my grandfather who's been retired from the USAF since a couple years after 'Nam.
helicopters really aren't that much a part of the air force... oddly enough thats more of an Army/Navy/Marines thing

Old 06-08-2008, 03:48 AM   #12
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Yeah, this sucks. Kinda have to tune it out. But there's always going to be people you connect with; not everyone is a meathead and the non-mooks tend to find themselves and form friendships.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:51 AM   #13
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

woke up to people so tall to you, I can't so I won't....

Old 06-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #14
Banana
Banned

Have fun failing the drug test you burn out.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #15
Mo
Immortal

John ******... Air Force... John ******... Air Force...
No, those two just don't go together.

Good luck.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #16
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:

Yup, you're right about the Air Conditioning. Out of all the branches, it's definitely the biggest cake walk.

As for homophobia... while I was in Korea around 99, I worked with a supply sergeant who was obviously a flaming homosexual. We'd have to drive to the Air Base nearby for parts and things, and he would point out all the people he knew were gay that he went to the club with the night before. There are a TON of gay people in the Air Force... like, alot more than you would expect. I don't think anyone really cares. It's more the Army and Marines that really freak out about that. Air Force is alot more laid back atmosphere. I've got a friend in now, and he got deployed... to Qatar. Which is the place they send the Army for vacation after they've been in Iraq for a while (seriously)

I don't know what their basic training is like... but I know you'd probably be happy with it once you're out of training. It's a chance to travel and see the world, and get paid to do it

Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #17
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

well my older brother made it through AF basic training, so it can't be that hard

Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #18
Mo
Immortal

Off-topic, but: I never really got the US military - how many branches are there? Five (USA, USAF, USN, USMC, USCG)? Why and how are they separated/different?

Old 06-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #19
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
Off-topic, but: I never really got the US military - how many branches are there? Five (USA, USAF, USN, USMC, USCG)? Why and how are they separated/different?
Army: Mostly infantry/tanks, but they have some helicopters
Air Force: Planes, duh
Navy: Water, duh (they have some planes too)
Marines: They do everything
Coast Guard: Joke

Old 06-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #20
D.
Consume my pants.

There was this obviously gay supply sergeant when I was in this holding barracks to go home (before and after I had my surgery). He was good people.
He picked me up from the civilian hospital and stopped by a fast food joint to get a bite to eat and he was all "sorry I can't get you anything."

You could tell he was on edge all the time, though, because it's a "man's army" that doesn't tolerate "those homosexuals".

Old 06-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #21
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

i should do this too

Old 06-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #22
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

If there were a United States Space Force where you get to pilot Naboo Starfighters I'd join in a fucking second...

Old 06-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #23
mistle
bonnie stars

i'd join the russian space force. you know those guys have more fun

Old 06-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #24
Debaser
ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokeyLoki View Post
Marines: They do everything
it would be closer to describe them as the Navy's ground attack force, "force projection from the sea". Actually they're considered completely separate from the Navy despite they use the Navy for all their transportation and logistics. Out of all the branches I tend to think marines is probably carries the highest danger/risk... or i could be talking out of my ass. all my knowledge is strictly based on hollywood movies.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #25
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

Can i troll the whole 'please thank our servicemen' bullshit right here. I respect the hell out of my armed forces, but they havent done shit for my safety for fucking years.

In my eyes you'll be a fucking mercenary ******. And thats a-ok. *salutes*

Old 06-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #26
Kahlo

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
it would be closer to describe them as the Navy's ground attack force, "force projection from the sea". Actually they're considered completely separate from the Navy despite they use the Navy for all their transportation and logistics. Out of all the branches I tend to think marines is probably carries the highest danger/risk... or i could be talking out of my ass. all my knowledge is strictly based on hollywood movies.
I think they are similar to the UK marines in that they have their own ships, ground attack vehicles and the like. My brother is a marine but luckily he has missed out on Afghan and Iraq due to being badly injured from a training accident (both his knees are destroyed) he has lost 3-4 friends he went through training with in those theatres as Marines as you say are frontline units.

A statistic that they don't print here in the UK is that a huge percentage of our men are coming back badly injured from IEDs. 45 Commando alone have 40-50 men who are missing limbs from Afghanistan.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #27
???
Minion of Satan

john'll walk out as soon as they ask him to cut his hair

Old 06-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #28
aldango
Apocalyptic Poster

Do you have to do basic training even if you are just doing a regular old civilian jorb?

Old 06-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #29
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
United States Space Force where you get to pilot Naboo Starfighters
I wonder if that's the perspective those who are joining already have... I know a couple of people obsessed with military gear...

Old 06-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #30
Hate the Hater
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldango View Post
Do you have to do basic training even if you are just doing a regular old civilian jorb?
Of course