Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #751
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerVelvetSpleen View Post
Yeah there's a good chance that this is true. My only question is why did they wait so long to release this statement? It's an easy explanation and if they'd released it when D'Arcy first started talking it could've saved them a shit show.
it's only been a couple days. and they probably talked to a lawyer.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #752
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Gotta give credit where credit is due. That was the right kind of statement for them to make.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #753
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

"Why should we put our payday on hold for some old crackhead"

Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #754
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

let's go over the official statement, shall we?

Quote:
In reuniting The Smashing Pumpkins, the band's dedication remains to its fans and its music. To that, James Iha, Jimmy Chamberlin, and William Corgan haven't played a show with D'arcy Wretzky for over 18 years. But it's not for a lack of trying. For despite reports, Ms. Wretzky has repeatedly been invited out to play with the group, participate in demo sessions, or at the very least, meet face-to-face, and in each and every instance she always deferred. We wish her all the best, and look forward to reconnecting with you all very soon.
firstly, notice how it opens all corporate. "the sp organization is dedicated to its fans". this is the way somebody speaks when they put up a shield and verging on dishonesty (because we know Bill is losing his fucking mind raging over this right now). this is a deeply emotional matter, yet the response opens up very controlled and unrevealing. all this redundant double speak to open up the statement - it's very telling imho that they/he have something to hide.

then we have this gem of a sentence:

To that, James Iha, Jimmy Chamberlin, and William Corgan haven't played a show with D'arcy Wretzky for over 18 years.

notice how the first sentence coming off the vacant redundancies, is basically billy's reason for not wanting d'arcy to participate: "we haven't played together in 18 years". also it's billy's writing style - using "for" to mean "because", etc. it's him.

we all know he doesn't respect her musicianship. he simply doesn't trust her ability to play a tour after so long, and that's all there is to it. jimmy hates her so he hopped right along on the bandwagon. saying they offered her to come and she refused is stupid and sounds unlikely. why would she lie? and why would she be so obviously upset and disappointed about being excluded if she chose to not show up "or even meet face to face"?

i call bullshit.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #755
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
it's only been a couple days. and they probably talked to a lawyer.
Well this thread was started 3 weeks ago. I'm sure a lawyer didn't advise Billy and co to make a half dozen cryptic Instagram messages and wait for the real drama to start.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #756
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Yeah there's a good chance that this is true. My only question is why did they wait so long to release this statement? It's an easy explanation and if they'd released it when D'Arcy first started talking it could've saved them a shit show.
That statement is weasel shit 101... Notice how they say over the last 18 years she has been repeatedly contacted... It's irrelevant what happened over the last 18 years.

I was down with D'arcy not being there if they couldn't work it out... But to hear that Billy was leading her on only 1 fucking month ago!?! That's absurd. I just figured that she wasn't going to be seriously considered in the first place, but to hear that Billy was giving her the run along and wouldn't even be frank with her is terrible... So sad....

This thing is just a slapped together cash-grab... It's exactly what I mentioned about the KISS reunion. Have Peter and Ace on one or 2 songs and then market it "new music from the original lineup!".

Gahhhh... What a let down.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 02-12-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #757
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

you're right. i have an issue judging time

Old 02-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #758
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

either way, WHO FUCKING CARES. for one song? ONE? they might as well be the original four. if it's only a money grabbing dino tour (can anybody say Soundgarden?) i couldn't care any fucking less

Old 02-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #759
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Well this thread was started 3 weeks ago. I'm sure a lawyer didn't advise Billy and co to make a half dozen cryptic Instagram messages and wait for the real drama to start.
this is the most important netphoria thread i've ever started

Old 02-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #760
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Hi. Long time lurker first time poster.

D’arcy says Corgan backed out of a contract. If true, show me. That’s the only real thing here that really matters. I believe she wigged out on going to record. It’s not exactly out of character from what we know. Corgan’s handled it in typical fashion by pouring gasoline on the bridge, throwing a match on it, then bombing the bridge with a fighter jet.

Side note: you people behave, I’m here for the first time in ages and now have to read this place? Super.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #761
fuzzyroes
Banned

I doubt there was a contract, sounds to me like it was a handshake agreement.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #762
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
I’ve heard from a very reliable source, close to Darcy, that billy and James badly wanted her back. It was a back and forth for months, but her mental health isn’t sound and it ended up where it is now. So, they tried. This statement sounds to me that that particular story is the truth but the band is being very careful to not throw the complete truth of it out there.
Tell me more about this version of events.

I need to subscribe to it in order to believe there are no real bad guys, everything is just the result of a garbage situation and this is as diplomatic a statement they could make under duress.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:21 PM   #763
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
I believe she wigged out on going to record. It’s not exactly out of character from what we know.
you don't know jack shit about her character or behavior

what you do have readily available is a 30 year old track sheet for one asshole who goes by the name of O'Corrigan

Old 02-12-2018, 10:23 PM   #764
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

this is just speculating, but i think corgan is being disingenuous in that he may have contacted d'arcy (directly or indirectly) before or try to get her to meet, and she refused - but not THIS time, with everyone else on board.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #765
fuzzyroes
Banned

Exactly. That's why they said over the last 18 years... It's weasel speak.

To think he was assuaging her along so recently telling her "well James isn't there either, just get ready for the tour!"... God man, that's just unacceptable. We're all aware of Corgans despicable behavior over the years (some to our own forum members), but I never knew him to be a chickenshit...

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 02-12-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #766
fuzzyroes
Banned

They gotta bring up the history of the last 18 years to rationalize blowing her off this time... "Well we asked her in the past on different occasions, so it's not like we haven't ever tried"

Old 02-12-2018, 10:35 PM   #767
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

it's just like in 2007. when billy was presented with the question "will the other two be involved?", he answered with a similarly disingenuous "i've let them know the door is open for them", when in reality it later became clear he did not even contact them directly. it's all fucking halls and mirrors and double speak. it's his MO.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:49 PM   #768
fuzzyroes
Banned

I totally agree. I shouldn't be surprised, but it's still sad to hear.

Like someone mentioned though, once the dust settles and the tour launches, most of the casuals won't care. 90's nostalgia is super hot right now and with not very many 90's bands still around, Smashing Pumpkins go up in profitability and desirability and Billy gets his cash-cow.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:49 PM   #769
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it's just like in 2007. when billy was presented with the question "will the other two be involved?", he answered with a similarly disingenuous "i've let them know the door is open for them", when in reality it later became clear he did not even contact them directly. it's all fucking halls and mirrors and double speak. it's his MO.
I can see history repeating itself here but wow guys, what a show right? We didn't have D'arcy blowing up the program like this in 2007.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #770
mpp
Minion of Satan

Fuck billy

Old 02-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #771
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

LINDA STRAWdingle bitching again in full stupidity:

What more can be said...

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Linda Strawberry (@lindastrawberry) am

lindastrawberryWhat more can be said...

rockrollghostI don't know, but as a lifelong fan, I wish that all of this drama would just end. On all sides, quite frankly.

jordan4225Sounds like they tried..Doesn’t stop my excitement for Feb 15th and new music!! Those guys are some of the best musicians out there.
musings_of_a_cig_smoking_manI wish it could have happened. But reading this statement gives everything more perspective

lindastrawberry@rockrollghost let’s focus on the positive. The excitement. The countdown. The ice cream trucks... the news of new music. So much to be excited about! The show goes on. In the end it’s all about music and connectivity and fun.

rockrollghost@lindastrawberry understandable. The band means a lot to me. All 4 of these people were part of something special.
jurmenetaI hate that people are trying to twist this into something bad. D’arcy will be missed but this is a beautiful thing. For people like me, this is a dream come true. I grew up in a third world country listening to this band and dreaming of one day being able see them play a show together. This is it. Enjoy this moment,everyone. Haters to the left

audreycarlisle♥️♥️♥️

laneyjones1967Well said ❤️

lindastrawberry@jordan4225 look at their hard work the last two decades! They are on fire.

lindastrawberry@jurmeneta exactly. Let’s be positive and enjoy the creativity.
the_ethereal_frequencyThank you. Well wishes to all. Big hearts, and looking forward what's ahead.

d_rockradioIndeed. I wish everyone would just enjoy this forthcoming news. This is my favorite band, and i can't wait for what's next. Just like every "what's next" we've got to experience with SP over the past decades. Cheers!

moosetwinkleThey tried, that's all that can be done. Amazing pumpkin music can and will be made without her it will be ok. <3 <3 <3 <3

dulledbyexcess😴😴😴😴😴😴
carriage4hireOMFG! I scream. You scream. We all scream for ice cream!!!

dulledbyexcessWake me up when there’s more music
geekxyuI worry about her especially if her depiction of the events is this far off.

claytuckettIt's good to see that there are many fans who aren't letting anything ruin the excitement. That's the way it should be, because it's about the music. Everything else is just a petty distraction. 🤘

jordan4225@lindastrawberry thankful I’ve been at quite a few of those shows over the years, and getting to go to the Ogilala tour at the cemetery was so cool!! Love how he/they have never stopped.

motley420I keep hearing about a reunion and keep wondering what everyone’s taking about? SP never went away....I’m 47 years old and about to drive around LA looking for an ice cream truck, cuz I don’t want to miss a show!

mattpetherbridgeSo excited! @lindastrawberry it’s going to be awesome. Its a great feeling to rekindle friendships ❣

thegood******83I appreciate this.🙏I was beginning to wonder wtf was going on....Prayers for all-

Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #772
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33

this is all really sad

Old 02-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #773
T&T
Socialphobic

It was a "contract proposal". Sneaky lawyer shit. About as bad as an A&R offer. "Sign here to agree to discuss terms only with us." and you're then committed to that one company regardless of their terms.
With billy it was probably a preliminary "would you sign a contract that had W, X, Y & Z for x,xxx,xxx$? please have your lawyer look it over, sign it and mail back 5 copies". TO the layman (like d'arcy) it probably reads like a contract, it's actually designed and worded to seem like one, but it's not. It's just a one sided "I do what I want, and you grovel at my feet". It probably also includes an NDA obviously - typical Billy lawyer shit that's kept everyone quiet for years.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #774
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Does D’arcy get any mailbox money from the 90s recordings? It seems after almost 20 years she’d be up for a payday

Old 02-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #775
Zerospaced
Apocalyptic Poster

https://i.imgur.com/KTOVjX1.jpg

Old 02-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #776
fuzzyroes
Banned

Lmao I called it... Knew that "band statement" was total weasel shit.

"She's been invited to play at different times over the past 18 years and deferred those offers! If she wanted to join again she should have joined then!"

That's honestly the best rebuttal the band could come out with? Good god... Total chickenshits.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #777
T&T
Socialphobic

is it just me or is it weird that she kept the "-Brown" last name after the divorce?

Old 02-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #778
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Anyone still holding out hope that this a huge ruse and come Thursday we'll all be eating crow?

Last edited by douglas78 : 02-12-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #779
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
Does D’arcy get any mailbox money from the 90s recordings? It seems after almost 20 years she’d be up for a payday
totally. she gets performance credit for all the SP1 albums (and reissues) that she performed on. even if it was "billy played all the parts" I'm sure she contractually got a %, and keeps getting her % every time those albums sell. NO where near the $$$$ that billy gets with his song writing credits, but it's probably enough to keep her farm afloat.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:40 PM   #780
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas78 View Post
Anyone still holding out hope that this a huge ruse and come Thursday we'll all be eating crow?
I hoped this for awhile, but trust me it's no BS.