Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #61
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

people who believe in god are okay to mock for not sharing the same values, beliefs, and tastes as you do but don't ever talk shit about halloween or else

Old 10-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #62
Trotskilicious
Banned

Halloween is important okay???

Old 10-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #63
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

are you in the wrong thread..what i miss

edit: ok i found it

Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #64
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post
I would say that she is just counting her blessings. And praising her God for this blessing that she prayed for.

as for believing this was a pre-destined experience that is part of God's plan for her family. I could only guess that is because she really believes God has a plan for her family.

I know a couple of friends who actually believe that life is full of pre-destined events. Yet not everything is destiny.
(such as you were destined to chose to put mustard on your burger).
So God's plan is to hurt the kid so he can save the kid and be praised?

And by saying "counting your blessings", I don't see what good fortune has to be looked upon as if someone else not human brought it upon you. She should be thanking the neurosurgeon and doctors that worked on him, because they saved him.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #65
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
So God's plan is to hurt the kid so he can save the kid and be praised?

And by saying "counting your blessings", I don't see what good fortune has to be looked upon as if someone else not human brought it upon you. She should be thanking the neurosurgeon and doctors that worked on him, because they saved him.
I never said that "God's plan is to hurt the kid". I am just trying to explain what I think she believes.

But to the idea of thanking the neurosurgeon and doctors is a good idea. But I am sure she might say that the knowledge that they learned ultimately came from heaven via other doctors who study and taught the knowledge they got at medical school.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #66
Trotskilicious
Banned

she probably just believes in god's plan for her because it gives her comfort in a difficult, dark time in her life

you know like how getting drunk in stupid costumes at parties gives comfort to others for some reason

Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #67
hnibos
Braindead

God created science so

Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #68
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
I never said that "God's plan is to hurt the kid". I am just trying to explain what I think she believes.
But isn't it all part of God's plan? So how can you say, if that's true, that hurting people isn't part of the plan? Or at least allowing them to be hurt? At the very least, isn't God OK with people hurting - nay, kids? He could stop it if He wanted to. He could have not even created pain the first place, right?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #69
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:

But to the idea of thanking the neurosurgeon and doctors is a good idea. But I am sure she might say that the knowledge that they learned ultimately came from heaven via other doctors who study and taught the knowledge they got at medical school.
God forbid we thank the people who studied their asses off and have the responsibility to work at the highest possible level all the time, having 100x more responsibility than the average person... no, it was all prayer and knowledge from heaven. God must be cool with stem cell research, then?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #70
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I think I'm biting off more than Monte can chew, sorry bro

Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #71
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
But isn't it all part of God's plan? So how can you say, if that's true, that hurting people isn't part of the plan? Or at least allowing them to be hurt? At the very least, isn't God OK with people hurting - nay, kids? He could stop it if He wanted to. He could have not even created pain the first place, right?
this is her belief talk to her about it. and her and i don't share the same belief on this subject. but this is about how can someone believe this, not about what i believe.

But i want to say if you don't know pain how can you know joy? There is a need for opposition in all things.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #72
Starla

Last edited by Starla : 10-12-2012 at 03:17 AM.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #73
Starla

Quote:
I haven't said shit to her on her news feed except I'm glad her son is doing well, I do respect her faith. I am actually looking for an answer here.
I don't think there is any one answer. My mom has started going to some fucked up Baptist church the past two years. When she had a heart attack, one of her church buddies called my sister and told her "The devil is trying to get a hold on your mom". Okay...

Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #74
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

IMO, her beliefs in this case are no business of yours, reprise. They don't affect you in any way, you are not even a close friend.
Like what Starla said - peolpe were coming to her and "forcing" their belief system on her, "it was God's plan blabla." Something like that makes me sick, it wasn't their place to come up with that.
And I fail to see how it's your place to argue, whom this woman has to thank. It's clearly only her business, if she thanks God, the hospital or her cat. It concerns only her and nobody else.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #75
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

you don't deserve an explanation. get over it.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #76
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
IMO, her beliefs in this case are no business of yours, reprise. They don't affect you in any way, you are not even a close friend.
Like what Starla said - peolpe were coming to her and "forcing" their belief system on her, "it was God's plan blabla." Something like that makes me sick, it wasn't their place to come up with that.
And I fail to see how it's your place to argue, whom this woman has to thank. It's clearly only her business, if she thanks God, the hospital or her cat. It concerns only her and nobody else.
It concerns her son who is more likely to have limited critical thinking skills thanks to his upbringing.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #77
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
i'm not arguing with her, i am trying to get an answer on how someone can live like this

Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #78
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

del

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-12-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #79
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
It concerns her son who is more likely to have limited critical thinking skills thanks to his upbringing.
this too

Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #80
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i dont begrudge people for finding comfort in whatever they find comfort in. but this is pretty much incomprehensible to me, i dont understand

Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #81
hnibos
Braindead

If there's a god watching over her and her son, then she is not in control. If she were in control, things may go bad because she may fail. I think this is the root of faith.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #82
hnibos
Braindead

I know there's no connection between her being in control and her son surviving an accident, however, the point still stands in a larger picture.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #83
slunken
Virgo

reprise you should really watch black books

Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #84
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yeah thats kinda why i hate NA/AA. your locus of control has to be outside yourself or you're not working the program or whatever. fuck you, i don't have complete control over everything in my life but in general i am the decider

Old 10-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #85
hnibos
Braindead

No, God is, and you don't deserve to know why.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #86
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
reprise you should really watch black books
does it pertain to this thread or just something i should watch

Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #87
Starla

Quote:
sorry to hear this. ultimately this kind of thing leads to that which is the real problem
And the person who did this, went to prison and found God there. Pretty much everyone that goes to prison finds God at some point because there is nothing else to do there.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #88
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

What for?
Let's say I like opera, and you don't. How should I be able to explain it to you? You didn't like it in the first place, so no matter what I'd say, there would be now answer. Bad analogy.
It seems you judge her ability to think rationally. And frankly - who the fuck are you to do that? And if she prays to a tree - it doesn't concern you - does it? You are trying to understand someone on facebook, someone you don't know very well or really care about. Or do you try to understand how ANYBODY could thank God for anything, or pray for the survival of their child?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #89
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I might not like opera, but I can appreciate the talent involved. And though I can appreciate how God might comfort someone, I don't understand it in the way that I can go "it's just not for me, but I can understand how it can move you"

I can understanding thanking God or praying for the survival of your child. But thinking that it is all some divine plan, and that God is especially blessing you or your child because you pray to him, is beyond me I guess.

Who am I to question her rationality? Someone who sees what seems to be something self defeating and questions why someone who is not an idiot would not see that. Even she would say her faith is not rational. I don't see the question to rationality being some over the top thing, it's understood it's not rational, and I guess I just don't work that way when it comes to things like this. I would rather have, for example, been at my son's side instead of at some kind of prayer rally. I don't understand how God can be super high on your priority list, I guess.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #90
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
Really. How his mother deals with the fear, that he might die, will affect his ability to think critically?
So if I were in a car crash as a 5 year old, fell into a coma, and my mother prayed on my bed for my survival, I won't be able to think critically as an adult? Eeerm.
If she would tell him "see, you won't break your neck, no matter what you do, as long as you say your prayers" he might find out, that it's better to think for himself than to swallow his mother's belief.