Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Talking oh geez, FOX News asks: Did Mr. Rogers destroy an entire generation?

click to see the video

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/FOX_Di...tire_0706.html

Fox News hosts initially got a laugh out of recent allegations by a professor at Louisiana State University that tv personality Mr. Rogers produced a generation of kids who believe that "you're special just for being who you are" and therefore feel no need to work hard.

However, a follow-up segment reported more ominously that "the signs of narcissism in this society have been growing for 25 years," before quoting readers' letters blaming parents and Dr. Spock as well as Mr. Rogers.

A recent study suggested that 30% more college students display narcissistic attitudes today than when the study began in 1982. Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, which was broadcast nationally from 1968 to 2001, was at its peak of popularity in 1985-86.

Fox then brought up the same claims yet again, asking stress expert and WNBC "lifestyle contributor" Dr. Georgia Witkin, "Do you believe his philosophy destroyed a generation?" Witkin giggled before responding that it "didn't hurt many people, but it didn't help either."

Old 07-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i think i remember jczeroman arguing that PBS shows like sesame street and mr. rogers actually were detremental to the development of entire generation

something about not teaching the sanctity of MINE!

Old 07-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Mo
Immortal

Those are the main issues - got get 'em, FOX News!

Old 07-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
avian chaos
Braindead

Smile

Is that video a fucking joke? I made this face the entire time:

Old 07-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

pics or it didn't happen.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by avian chaos
Is that video a fucking joke? I made this face the entire time:
Of course, its Fox news.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Ihaman
Sometimes, though.

They need to do a story on Fox News ruining an entire generation.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
smurfing
Apocalyptic Poster

fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news fox news

Old 07-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

posting about fox news on an internet message board is lame.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
smurfing
Apocalyptic Poster

del

Old 07-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #11
Ihaman
Sometimes, though.

The Bible!

Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

I always hated Mr. Rogers, so I escaped the narcissistic side effects. I preferred Romper Room and its magic mirror. Mirrors are awesome.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

He's the reason I love sweaters.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #14
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious
i think i remember jczeroman arguing that PBS shows like sesame street and mr. rogers actually were detremental to the development of entire generation

I think sesame street (from when people around our age) was a hell of a lot better than a lot of the shit coming out now. I think its safe to say sesame street teaches a hell of a lot more than shit like teletubbies and other similar shows that followed.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #15
Trotskilicious
Banned

teletubbies is for very little kids, so is dora the explorer

sesame street is still on last i checked.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #16
smurfing
Apocalyptic Poster

research has shown that sesame street et alia have the positive effect of setting kids ahead in learning the alphabet for kindergarten/1st grade but the negative long term effect of causing ADD and that after first grade the sesame street kids fall behind others

that research cleared mr. rogers, though. i think the explanation was that the program wasnt as jammed with bright colors and cartoonish creatures etc

Old 07-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #17
Trotskilicious
Banned

can we have some sources please

Old 07-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
smurfing
Apocalyptic Poster

no. do you think i would lie to you?

Old 07-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #19
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfing
that research cleared mr. rogers, though. i think the explanation was that the program wasnt as jammed with bright colors and cartoonish creatures etc
Sesame Street's concept was created after they observed that kids were just as entertained by the commercials as they were the actually programming itself, unlike adults.

So they created a show where the bulk of the show were short clips, often not more than a minute long at the most, and it kept kid's attention and kept them entertained "more" than the more traditional children's programming on the air.

Hence we all have ADD now because we can't keep ourselves focused on anything longer than Bert and Ernie having a tiff about pet pigeons for 30 seconds.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfing
no. do you think i would lie to you?
yes

but that's not what this is about, i just want to see who these "other kids" are that outpace the sesame street children in the research. I'd like to know what their daily habits and stuff like that because I know the majority of kids watch some kind of children's/educational cartoon and if they're not then their parents don't really care too much about educating their children in the first place. I mean don't tell me that kids that are watching half hour toy commercials are going to turn out smarter and more patient.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #21
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

lol teletubbies.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #22
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

http://www.koransky.com/Other/Teletubbies.jpg

Old 07-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #23
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Quote:
I know the majority of kids watch some kind of children's/educational cartoon and if they're not then their parents don't really care too much about educating their children in the first place.
The ones who care about educating their children severely limit their TV watching if they don't disallow it completely.

You're forgetting about the kids who don't watch TV at all, my sister's kids watch maybe an hour of TV a week.

Is letting your kids watch Barney really that indicative of how much you care about educating your kids? Seems like it would be just the opposite case from my point of view...

Old 07-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #24
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000
a generation of kids who believe that "you're special just for being who you are" and therefore feel no need to work hard.
But who actually believes this to the point that it influences their lives like that story suggests?

I mean, fuck, you learn pretty early on that just being yourself and nothing else aint going to get you shit in life. Not only that, if you even think to try to use that as an excuse- "I'm special just for who I am!"- you'll get laughed off the four-square court and mocked for the rest of your educational life.

It makes no sense.

We feel no need to work hard because everything has been made so fucking simple in life. We don't even have to get off our asses to go rent movies anymore. Theoretically, you could live on your couch and never ever get up to do anything. Groceries can be delivered to you. Your bills can be paid online. You can work from home. It's the perfect life!

It's all "me, me, me" because we know society itself has promoted and enabled us to be that way. IF Mr. Rogers played a part in that, his part is damn sure insignificant to the messages we see every day telling us we have more and more ways to be as lazy and selfish as humanly possible.

I assure you, Mr. Rogers never told us to be lazy and selfish.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #25
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:

Old 07-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #26
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Quote:
teletubbies is for very little kids, so is dora the explorer

sesame street is still on last i checked.
I know. My point was sesame street then>sesame street now>other programs.
I haven't really kept up with cartoons in at least 5 years, so I'm not too sure on what's still around and what's still good..

Old 07-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #27
Mr.Deadite
Pledge

Fox News is has become a parody of itself.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #28
likeicare
Ownz

Location: the middle of a reptile zoo, and somebody is giving booze to these goddamn things. Won't be long now before they tear us to shreds.

who's Mr. Rogers ? :|

Old 07-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #29
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agenda suicide
I know. My point was sesame street then>sesame street now>other programs.
I haven't really kept up with cartoons in at least 5 years, so I'm not too sure on what's still around and what's still good..
my point was that people say this about everything, movies, tv, music, books, etc and that doesn't actually make it true. As well as the fact that we're talking about children's programming which isn't exactly good to adults.