Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 04-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
Arrow the good, the bad, and the ugly: ON TV

I suck at starting threads, but who cares.

TV series!
what are you folks watching - besides Saul Goodman?

AMERICAN CRIME
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3488298/
I'll keep watching it, I guess. The topic is interesting enough, racism left and right, and in a realistic way.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...962_SY398_.jpg

Fortitude
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3498622
UK series, only seen the pilot so far, and I have absolutely no clue what's going on. A lot, apparently. maybe the arctic circle version of Fargo?

The Leftovers
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2699128
8/10? really enjoy it, but god damn, someone tell Liv Tyler and Justin Theroux that they are horrible actors.

Good enough that I'm looking forward to another season -

The Fall
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2294189/
UK serial killer series, mostly carried by the two main actors.
And I admit I watched all of it just because I enjoy looking at Gillian Anderson...

Happy Valley
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3428912
UK crime series, talk about leaps of faith: this one takes a bunch, but I like it.

and now the bad and ugly:

Secrets and Lies
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3516878

I'm hooked on this fucking thing. And I have no excuse, that Juliette Lewis plays the cuntiest cunt possible is not enough.
someone tell me it's okay to enjoy this shite!

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...962_SY398_.jpg

Old 04-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
MusicMan4

Theroux is a really good comedic actor, don't write him off based on that show

Old 04-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

too late!

I wouldn't know, though. I can't remember having seen him before, but I must have.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
MusicMan4

Currently besides Saul and waiting for Mad Men the best bets have been Transparent and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

I was nervous about Transparent but it was basically almost perfect and I think the latter is as funny as the highest points of 30 rock

Old 04-01-2015, 10:02 PM   #5
MusicMan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
too late!

I wouldn't know, though. I can't remember having seen him before, but I must have.
You have. You've probably watched a lot of funny stuff he wrote as well. He's good. He's big dumb popcorn entertainment!

Old 04-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
pavementtune

I just looked - Mulholland Drive and American Psycho, yes.
Inland Empire, I've erased that one from my memory.
And apparently on Six Feet Under.

from his writing credits (only 6?) I've finally seen Tropic Thunder, nothing else.

Have you watched The Leftovers, Sarah? (do you prefer Sarah or Aeris Hilton, btw)

it's unfair to throw him together with Liv Tyler, who is seriously god awful in this, but still. There are so many scenes where you just want to shake him.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
MusicMan4

Either/Or but I mean you don't need the Hilton

Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #8
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

yeah i don't care much for Theroux either but the worst in this whole cast is whoever is playing his daughter's (trivia: who is actually played by Andie Mcdowell's daughter) friend.....

Emily Meade i guess is her name. Just looked her up. Oh yeah and those twins are also terrible but it just might be that i hate their faces.

however i quite like Carrie Coon who seemingly just appeared on tv out of nowhere (well theater probably) and who was in Gone Girl and i din't even realise it until it was over.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #9
MusicMan4

I really love the movie Wanderlust that he's in and I thought he was a writer on it but it kind of tanked so I'm hesitant to recommend it but I guess I just did sort of

Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #10
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
yeah i don't care much for Theroux either but the worst in this whole cast is whoever is playing his daughter's (trivia: who is actually played by Andie Mcdowell's daughter) friend.....

Emily Meade i guess is her name. Just looked her up. Oh yeah and those twins are also terrible but it just might be that i hate their faces.

however i quite like Carrie Coon who seemingly just appeared on tv out of nowhere (well theater probably) and who was in Gone Girl and i din't even realise it until it was over.
ahaha, yea that daughter friend is hard to take, I'm not sure if she is a bad actress or that character is simply annoying as fuck. Plus she has a radio face... I mean when you cast bad actors, at least take the less ugly ones...

The twins are another case of twats you want to punch in the face, I'm not sure if it's them or "t****, you know.

And then Judge Amy on top of it... I hate myself that I got into this, and won't stop either.

but how beautiful is McDowell's daughter... I looked her up when I started watching, I would have never guessed.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #11
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I was gonna make that observation about Mcdowell's daughter. I always hated andie mcdowell and also always thought she was kinda hideous. you can see a bit of resemblance bu...except a lot better looking.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #12
pavementtune

Carrie Coon is fantastic, absolutely the best in Leftovers. She is theater, yes. Or rather was.

trivia gossip alert: and married to Homeland guy.

http://static.tvgcdn.net/MediaBin/Ga...meland-161.jpg

Old 04-01-2015, 10:41 PM   #13
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Unbreakable Kimmoe Schmidt is hilarious.

Mad Men, The Americans. Veep comes back soon as does Silicon Valley.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #14
fuzzyroes
Banned

I've been watching that new Mike Judge comedy series on HBO called Sillicon Valley.

It's pretty damn funny, it has that chubby guy from "Shes out of your league" and the guy who plays Gabe on The office in it...

Lots of good laughs. It's nice seeing Mike Judge work back on TV

Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #15
MusicMan4

I just want another season of Beavis and Butt-Head

Old 04-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #16
fuzzyroes
Banned

I dunno, I didn't find it nearly as good when they brought it back for a season awhile back. Seemed kinda lame that they were critiquing reality TV shows, but I guess it makes sense cause that's all MTV airs.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #17
Eulogy
huh

Justin Theroux is great. The Leftovers was very good. Level below the best.

Kimmy Schmidt is amazing. The Americans is the best show on TV. Saul probably second.

Very excited for game of thrones and veep and Silicon Valley.

Disappointed Looking was canceled. It was really good in a lot of ways. But flawed.

Girls is great.
Haven't finished togetherness but like what I've seen.

Broad city and portlandia are great but I need to catch up.

Archer has been great.

Obviously excited for mad men.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #18
MusicMan4

Oh Jesus yeah Broad City is the best I don't know how I blanked on it

(Yas Queen)

Old 04-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #19
MusicMan4

Very mediocre season of Girls tho
I'm starting to think they're in a pattern of alternating good seasons and :/ seasons
I hope so at least because then S5 will be good

Old 04-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #20
Eulogy
huh

I watch so much tv

No regrets.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #21
fuzzyroes
Banned

The 2nd half of the 2nd season of The Black List has been fantastic. The characters are really growing into their roles and the shows really improved. It's a lot less formulaic now.

And as always, James Spaders fucking boss.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #22
Eulogy
huh

So this is who watches network dramas

Good to know.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #23
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I watch so much tv

No regrets.
You and me both brother.

I watch a LOT of shit at night and on TV too. In the middle of the night I was watching some old MTV reality show marathon of some show called Laguna Beach. It was filmed at a time when I would have been the same age at the same time of the filming and it was making me sad and feeling old.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #24
noyen
Immortal

The Knick was a great series. Looking forward to season 2. Leftovers and the fall also great. Can hardly wait for more. Southcliffe was an interesting, short and very depressing series. I loved the killing, though lots hated the tack on ending but i liked it. Hannibal is awesome once you get really into it. Peaky blinders is fantastic. The trip series is really good. Saxondale is good.. Yesh lots of good stuff on netflix. I loved orange is the new black way more than i expected. Its like... Oz... But not as good.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #25
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
So this is who watches network dramas

Good to know.
Only the Blacklist. I'm a huge James Spader fan.

I get a huge kick outta the guy. Always have.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #26
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Did anyone else enjoy The Knick?

I thought it was pretty good. I really wanted to hate Bono's daughter in it at least but it seems like she's learned that in acting less is more. I'd seen her in This Must be the Place but her role was uninteresting (as was the rest of that film really).

Old 04-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #27
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Goddam too much posting in here. Noyen hadnt psoted about the knick when i wrote this

Old 04-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #28
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Did anyone else enjoy The Knick?

I thought it was pretty good. I really wanted to hate Bono's daughter in it at least but it seems like she's learned that in acting less is more. I'd seen her in This Must be the Place but her role was uninteresting (as was the rest of that film really).
Ah i didnt recognize it was bonos daughter in the knick. I see it now. I thought she was beautiful in this must be the place as "the goth girl" and there wasn't enough of her. That film was weird though. Some cool moments but overall want sure if i liked it or not.

The knick soundtrack is amazing too. Cliff Martinez awesomeness. The vibe is awesome. Def one of the better, gritty and original subject matter series of late. Soderbergh too.

Its okay that we like some of the same things dude. Its not like anyone owns taste. You have good taste despite your self deprecation

Old 04-01-2015, 11:53 PM   #29
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I just looked - Mulholland Drive and American Psycho, yes.
was gonna ask how you could have forgotten him if you'd seen Mulholland Drive but then I couldn't really remember what he did in American Psycho so I guess all's fair

inland empire, I couldn't finish that whole thing, started it than kept resuming from where I left off and god damn what is that thing like 6 hours or something? started out pretty interestingly but then Lynch seemed to do that thing where instead of doing something where an earlier event was explained a bullshit weird thing possibly involving clowns happened with the backstory of "it's up for you to decide!"

disappointing LINTCH

Old 04-02-2015, 12:08 AM   #30
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
Its okay that we like some of the same things dude. Its not like anyone owns taste. You have good taste despite your self deprecation
I wasn't saying what i said in my above last post because i was annoyed you liked it. just because i asked if anyone liked it right after you posted about it.

I would expect us to like a lot of the same things just based on our intense Cure fandom.