Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #91
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Old 10-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #92
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
Its such a basic fucking concept youd think ppl would be like oh yea stagnat wages for the poor and middle class is stalking the economy as well as saddlimg students w so much debt that they are doing that instead of buying houses cars and etc
I think the privileged are afraid of a more level playing field, because of what it might reveal about the general mediocrity of the privileged. I worked for mine, work for yours! Except that how much work we do and how hard we do it is not so easily measured, and one of the factors most strongly correlated with economic success is the financial status of your parents.

Actually that applies to educational institutions as well. The socioeconomic status of your parents is a better predictor of academic success than your SAT score

But let's stop debating, because this is all just a matter of opinion, and nobody really knows the answer

Old 10-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #93
Eulogy
huh

Isn't standardized scoring also linked pretty directly with socioeconomic status of parents?

Old 10-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #94
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Education level as a whole is related to economic status

So many factors. Reducing the poor to "stupid ppl who dont work hard" is absolutely gross

Mexican immigrants prolly work harder than anyone and they are consistently marginalized often by the very people who use them for landscaping and housework

Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #95
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

No mexican'ts are lazy because they can't get themselves out of lower class.

One summer i tried picking fruits in fields. "Mexican work" (the ones that come for temporary work in the summer). For a day. I worked harder than anyone else there (no mexicans, just teens and young adults, i ssemed to be the onyl one who wanted to make money) and didn't even make the equivalent of minimum wage (paid by the basket) and got a near heatstroke. I didn't come back the day after. And that's the jobs mexicans are "stealing" from us. Those we don't want to do do cause its not or barely minimum wage for a lot of effort so fuck that shit, we don't have to do them. But they do, because it's better pay than what they get back home. And good ole exploitation of the destitute goes on. It's worse too, cause it's happening RIGHT HERE.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #96
noyen
Immortal

facepalm.jpg

Old 10-18-2014, 03:31 AM   #97
Trotskilicious
Banned

those are the fucking jobs they do for a living it's incredible. and they're treated like shit all the time. like new slaves

lazy! how the fuck are they lazy!

Old 10-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #98
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

We have the "set system" in school here. I was in the top tier through most of high school, and I was the only working class kid in that stream, as far as I can remember. A lot of my working class friends were fiercely intelligent, very witty and interesting, but they didn't have the type of intelligence that counted in school. A lot of them had a shitty home life, making it hard to concentrate in school, and parents that didn't support them.

Also, once you've been put in a really low set at school, it's basically like you've been labelled stupid, so why even bother? My family did/do menial work but they have a strong work ethic and do their jobs as well as they can, never complaining or claiming welfare. They do struggle financially at times but never blames others. Why shouldn't they earn more money?

To be fair, a lot of my working class friends have made something of themselves and are in a better position than me. I daydreamed and boozed all my potential down the drain. Ho hum. Economics isn't my strong point, but I do support an increase in the minimum wage, just because it seems moral to me.

Last edited by Elijah Moon : 10-18-2014 at 06:03 AM.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #99
Eulogy
huh

Don't listen to tootles. He's 12.

And yes, standardized testing only tests the kinds of intelligence that tracks wealth. Generally speaking. It's a fucking racket.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #100
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Old 10-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #101
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
I love how he says Man
And that they magically started out with money.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #102
Shallowed
Braindead

holy shit, all those dumbass min wage workers had to do was follow Tootles' simple step by step guide to success and stop at step 3.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #103
Eulogy
huh

No

Old 10-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #104
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
And that they magically started out with money.
I think its from ayn rand

Old 10-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #105
Trotskilicious
Banned

Wow i think glitterlips just wrote the stupidest goddamn post of the year. And there is stiff competition

The federal reserve? I mean could you be less informed?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #106
Tootles
Demi-God

Now I am starting to figure out why Netphoria is full of angry nitwits. You have been held down for so long. The man has held you down. Your parents held you back from what you could have become. The system is broken and there is no chance. The bottom line is people have succeeded coming from FAR worse households, in far worse neighborhoods, in far worst circumstances than you came from, yet did it anyway. Stop it with the poor little ole me never had a chance shit. http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/us/fro...or-to-harvard/ I know most of you won't read it. If you don't I don't want to hear any more crying, if you do, please tell me how your life and hardships were tougher than this young ladies.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #107
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Way to generalize. Who's complaining about the "man" holding them down? I am in pretty dire straits financially, but I'm not pinning the blame on anyone. I didn't choose to have my life affected by severe psychological problems, however. And yeah, lots of people make it from nothing, but there are many, many people who try their very best and never end up "well-off".

Personally, if I've learnt anything from all the shit I've been through (and I'm not being self-pitying), it's that money isn't the most important thing, I'm more interested in love and kindness (cheesy, I know). But I spare a thought for those in extreme poverty, for those who are homeless, and if it were simply a question of ambition or self-belief, why would anyone remain in such a state? I'm not saying all poor people are "victims" of social structures, but such structures play a part and it's dishonest to ignore them, in my opinion.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #108
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

What does that have to do with the topic at hand?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #109
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

sorry i meant tootle's post obvs.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #110
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Moon View Post
Way to generalize. Who's complaining about the "man" holding them down? I am in pretty dire straits financially, but I'm not pinning the blame on anyone. I didn't choose to have my life affected by severe psychological problems, however. And yeah, lots of people make it from nothing, but there are many, many people who try their very best and never end up "well-off".

And yeah i was gonna say i think mental issue is more people's main problem here than the man holding them down. Like you i don't pin the blame on the man for my life. it's the unfortunate brain i was born with.

But yeah tootles opinion is like, you don't need a dime more than you have to succeed! Some make it already! Great. And so why would we want to make it any easier? I think tootles point is...you don't really need your own house, food or electricity. some make it fine with just candles, sleeping on other people's couches!

Obviously all those homeless people are just being lazy.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #111
Eulogy
huh

I really want to know what he does for a living.

Guessing he lives with his parents but can't be sure. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #112
Tootles
Demi-God

The VAST (don't want to generalize) number of people working minimum wage jobs have minimal education. (Not even up for a debate) The VAST number of people working minimum jobs could go back to college on grants/loans etc to make them more hireable for better wages. (not debatable either) And the VAST number of people working minimum wage jobs don't want to make the effort to better themselves. (or else they would already be doing it)

Old 10-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #113
Eulogy
huh

Are there sources for any of those assertions

Old 10-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #114
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

I suppose you have the facts and figures to back up your statements, as people "scrounging" or complaining about their lot seems to be something that pains you on a personal level.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #115
hnibos
Braindead

He sells something. Probably cell phones.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #116
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

why do some people think that it's OK to pay starvation wages to people who do not have a college education? How does 4 years of mostly forgettable liberal arts classes make someone more deserving of more than $7 per hour?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #117
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

wages (and wealth in general) are not a measure of a person's worth or even of the monetary value they produce

Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #118
Tootles
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Are there sources for any of those assertions
Figures you would need actual stats to back this up. Stupid.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #119
Tootles
Demi-God

Old 10-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #120
Tootles
Demi-God

Eulogy not very smart.