Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #121
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

It's not terrible, but it's safe more often than it isn't - which is part and parcel of it being a sober TR looking back and commenting on a drug fueled hedonistic experience. Two of the tracks were orignarly meant to be shoved onto a greatest hits package. When it's good it's great, but it's an unfocused work. And it really, really fucking needed some live drums.

Still listen to it every so often, but the EP trilogy is also an examination of himself at that point in his life but also going "what if I never got off that path" and the results are way more musically interesting and consistently great. Burning Bright kinda sounds like Jesu FFS

Old 04-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #122
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I like Hesitation Marks!
Some of it is lacking, but I love the concept as this restrospective of Trent’s dark but most creative period. I love the little call-outs to TDS throughout the album, combined with the artwork.
Some of it drags and some of it is dad rock.
Some of it is brilliant though. It never hits the lows of WT, but I don’t think HM hits the highs of WT either.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #123
Eulogy
huh

I don’t find myself revisiting hesitation marks. It’s good but somethings missing. All of you trashing on the slip need to get better opinions.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #124
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I don’t find myself revisiting hesitation marks. It’s good but somethings missing. All of you trashing on the slip need to get better opinions.
I always will have a soft spot for The Slip because it came out during the absolute height of my NIN fandom. That was an amazing time to be an NIN fan. Year Zero, Ghosts and The Slip, and then The Social Network soundtrack.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #125
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

It's kind of crazy that I think "the best time to be a NIN fan" is also Trent's worst musical period. Like, don't get me wrong, I fucking love Year Zero conceptually and With Teeth, while his weakest as a whole by a fair margin, has some of his best individual songs, but you can tell Trent is just kind of missing the sort of visceral engagement with his art that made everything prior to that time so damn unique. That being said, he was still incredibly prolific for a solid five year stretch that saw him pushing boundaries constantly, even if the music itself wasn't quite as unforgettable as it had been before. I'll never forget skipping school just so I could listen to The Slip over and over when it was dropped by surprise, and the live band was just incredible at this time.

I was really happy with Hesitation Marks when it came out, and I still think of it as a solid, mature effort. There's something about it that doesn't really "feel" like Nine Inch Nails - almost like it's a record about Nine Inch Nails rather than by Nine Inch Nails - but I find it really easy to listen to as a whole and I tend to enjoy it a lot whenever I put it on.

The trilogy feels like a real breakthrough creatively. NtAE and AV felt like Trent dabbling into different "types" of Nine Inch Nails or industrial rock songs- "She's Gone Away" is a seedy, dark burner, "The Idea of You" is kind of thrashy, almost reminiscent of Ministry in some ways, "Burning Bright" sounds like Godflesh, "Less Than" sounds like rocky, radio friendly WT/TS NIN, and a lot of AV really goes into the more organic/atmospheric side of Trent's sound.... and then Bad Witch just says fuck parceling all this out, we're going to immerse, all at once and head first. It's cacophonous and terrifying and I felt shocked from it in a way I hadn't since I listened to TDS for the first time years and years ago.

When Trent creates narrative in HM, it feels so smooth and safe. He's doing it from a reflective distance, where there's no consequence; we know the protagonist is going to get out safe in the end, and so does he. Playing with the fractured pieces of the past and examining the edges up close isn't so scary. The Trilogy's self examination has none of this feel. It is rough, it is dangerous-- it hints at narrative being there, but the narrative is dirty and damaged. It's like you're putting together a puzzle, get a solid 3/4 of the way through, and the pieces stop fitting. At first it's frustrating, but then you notice that each time you notice a piece doesn't fit, more and pieces have been added to the box, and soon it's terrifying. A puzzle with too many pieces that just don't fit together. Coherence disappears into the static and is gone before you even realize it. The truth in Trent's examination here is blurry as fuck: it's always asking, how did I get here? Bad Witch is so visceral and damning in its uncertainty. The feeling the music gives me is the same feeling I get when I try to make sense of our current historical moment. Authenticity feels impossible because it no longer feels worthwhile and it's all so goddamn sad. I fucking hate Trump

Last edited by LoveIsSuicide42 : 04-22-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #126
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

1) Downward Spiral
2) who cares?

Old 04-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #127
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

people who've heard more than just Downward Spiral

Old 04-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #128
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
2) who cares?
fixerooni

Old 04-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #129
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

people who listen to music for themselves and not so "urbanites" think they're cool

Old 04-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #130
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I CAN DO THIS ALL DAY BABY

Old 04-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #131
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
It's kind of crazy that I think "the best time to be a NIN fan" is also Trent's worst musical period. Like, don't get me wrong, I fucking love Year Zero conceptually and With Teeth, while his weakest as a whole by a fair margin, has some of his best individual songs, but you can tell Trent is just kind of missing the sort of visceral engagement with his art that made everything prior to that time so damn unique. That being said, he was still incredibly prolific for a solid five year stretch that saw him pushing boundaries constantly, even if the music itself wasn't quite as unforgettable as it had been before. I'll never forget skipping school just so I could listen to The Slip over and over when it was dropped by surprise, and the live band was just incredible at this time.

I was really happy with Hesitation Marks when it came out, and I still think of it as a solid, mature effort. There's something about it that doesn't really "feel" like Nine Inch Nails - almost like it's a record about Nine Inch Nails rather than by Nine Inch Nails - but I find it really easy to listen to as a whole and I tend to enjoy it a lot whenever I put it on.

The trilogy feels like a real breakthrough creatively. NtAE and AV felt like Trent dabbling into different "types" of Nine Inch Nails or industrial rock songs- "She's Gone Away" is a seedy, dark burner, "The Idea of You" is kind of thrashy, almost reminiscent of Ministry in some ways, "Burning Bright" sounds like Godflesh, "Less Than" sounds like rocky, radio friendly WT/TS NIN, and a lot of AV really goes into the more organic/atmospheric side of Trent's sound.... and then Bad Witch just says fuck parceling all this out, we're going to immerse, all at once and head first. It's cacophonous and terrifying and I felt shocked from it in a way I hadn't since I listened to TDS for the first time years and years ago.

When Trent creates narrative in HM, it feels so smooth and safe. He's doing it from a reflective distance, where there's no consequence; we know the protagonist is going to get out safe in the end, and so does he. Playing with the fractured pieces of the past and examining the edges up close isn't so scary. The Trilogy's self examination has none of this feel. It is rough, it is dangerous-- it hints at narrative being there, but the narrative is dirty and damaged. It's like you're putting together a puzzle, get a solid 3/4 of the way through, and the pieces stop fitting. At first it's frustrating, but then you notice that each time you notice a piece doesn't fit, more and pieces have been added to the box, and soon it's terrifying. A puzzle with too many pieces that just don't fit together. Coherence disappears into the static and is gone before you even realize it. The truth in Trent's examination here is blurry as fuck: it's always asking, how did I get here? Bad Witch is so visceral and damning in its uncertainty. The feeling the music gives me is the same feeling I get when I try to make sense of our current historical moment. Authenticity feels impossible because it no longer feels worthwhile and it's all so goddamn sad. I fucking hate Trump
Year Zero is Trent’s third masterpiece

Get fucked

Old 04-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #132
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

The Downward Spiral
The Fragile
Broken
Not The Actual Events / Add Violence / Bad Witch
Pretty Hate Machine
Still
Ghosts I-IV

Old 04-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #133
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

god tier:
Downward Spiral
The Fragile
Broken
And All that Could Have Been/Still

Top tier:
PHM
With Teeth
Year Zero

perfectly fine tier:
The Slip
Hesitation Marks
Ghosts

forgive me if I am forgetting something. The new stuff is enjoyable, but I haven't listened to it much

best karaoke song at the chotch dive bar: Deep

Old 04-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #134
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Year Zero is Trent’s third masterpiece

Get fucked
Hey fuck you. I love Year Zero and it was my first NIN album. The ARG was fucking incredible to lose myself in, too. It's like a 8.5/10 album for me. Just a hair short of TDS, TF, and the trilogy.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #135
Modern90's
Demi-God

hey guys, I just took an IQ test and my results came back in
I have an IQ of 135, is that enough to be able to understand bad witch?

Old 03-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #136
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

You folks may need to reorder your lists after you visit nin.com today

Old 03-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #137
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

This is a good reminder that I still need to actually really listen to Ghosts I through IV. I don't think I've ever managed that. Just listened to it in fits and spurts and on the occasional shuffle/mix.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #138
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
people who listen to music for themselves and not so "urbanites" think they're cool
This is a good post.

Mals Marola making good posts... IN HELL!!!

Old 03-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #139
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

R.I.P. Mark Marola!

Old 03-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #140
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Old 03-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #141
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 03-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #142
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Ghosts V is very Brian Eno influenced. Haven't checked out Ghosts VI yet.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #143
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Putting V and VI up in my dropbox if anyone needs because there are shit tons of download problems trying to get it from the official store. I was waiting for 45 minutes for the download to start before someone sent me a link.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #144
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Ghosts V

Ghosts VI

Old 03-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #145
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

This is really good. Ghosts VI is some of Reznor’s strongest material ever. Ghosts V is a pretty awesome Eno like album.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #146
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
You folks may need to reorder your lists after you visit nin.com today
I'd honestly rank Ghosts V-VI with his best stuff. Easily his best instrumental work and it's not even really close

agreed, ninsp... was not expecting that at all

Last edited by killtrocity : 03-29-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #147
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

As much as I adore the trilogy, his soundtrack work is clearly where the gold is right now
Their soundtrack work is impeccable

Old 03-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #148
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Arrow

Quote:
As much as I adore the trilogy, his soundtrack work is clearly where the gold is right now
Their soundtrack work is impeccable
Quote:
I don’t count Ghosts because it’s soundtrack work and not like anything else in the discography. Same goes for Still.
AHA!

Old 03-30-2020, 07:26 AM   #149
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

BUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDD DDDDddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 03-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #150
Eulogy
huh

I haven’t listened to all of it yet. Not being in my car ever is messing with my listening habits.