Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
chucklescrotum
Banned

Default Billy says he quits SP, moving on..

Now that the zombie version of the Pumpkins is finally dead once and for all, is anyone looking forward to the new Arcade Fire album?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
croPUMPKINS
Ownz

does anyone honestly think Bill will quit Pumpkins!?

be serious!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
T&T
Socialphobic

"I want my band back!" :crying:

Old 10-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

D'arcy on FB is more interesting than anything billy does.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

looks like Arcade Fire is well on pace to becoming the next U2iohead.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Nicole filming a video today with her new band. Mike starting Papa Roach cover band.

What about Jeff? What will Jeff do? He loved SP so much.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
Nicole filming a video today with her new band. Mike starting Papa Roach cover band.

What about Jeff? What will Jeff do? He loved SP so much.
I sincerely hope that Jeff will finish his degree.

If killing SP meant that we might get Billy and Jimmy together for a few songs, it would be more than worth it. Mike is weighing Billy down. [Fat joke here]

Old 10-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i thought Jeff did finish his degree

Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklescrotum View Post
Now that the zombie version of the Pumpkins is finally dead once and for all, is anyone looking forward to the new Arcade Fire album?
Am I missing something here? This thread topic is goddamned useless without a source statement.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

@stumpycat

Don't think we have any firm news. Google only has this regarding BC recently:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/bil...porter_b105082

Old 10-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlitchford View Post
@stumpycat

Don't think we have any firm news. Google only has this regarding BC recently:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/bil...porter_b105082
Wow

Old 10-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

What did he specifically say?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

At some point in his 2.5-hour monologue via Monty he said something like this:
Quote:
Having gone kinda in circles over the past seven years and its incarnations, I don't really know what... I kinda had an idea what the next step would be before this tour, but having done this tour and coming out the other side, I don't really know what the next step is, if there's even a step at all. And maybe... in a strange way to say it, but maybe I've checkmated myself […]

When you take a band out with one original member, even if it's the guy who wrote... I mean you're asking for trouble. You're asking for it. […] I don't really know what makes sense anymore. […]

That's what I'm saying about checkmating myself, I think I've kinda backed in a corner and I don't think there's an obvious next step out. So... stopping might be part of it […]
But of course he's also sure that there's more "Smashing Pumpkins music" to be made.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Okay, thanks pavementtune!
Maybe Billy will come around to realizing what we've been seeing in this business all along?

Old 10-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #15
slunken
Virgo

has anybody here spent any amount of time watching the VIP Q&A's that have been filmed? i imagine maybe not. watching the general band interaction and how billy tries to orchestrate it all is pretty amazing and telling.

here is my fan-fiction of band dynamics based on watching many of the VIP performances and the QandA's:

mike - he doesn't like mike and is always dogging him. mike got glasses so he looks more wise and jeff stopped wearing his glasses. kind of like when jimmy grew his hair long like james' but then james cut his hair

jeff: billy could give two shits about what he does. he has proven himself to be a worthy guitar player but he has stopped caring because he sees that they can't be best buds (AGAIN). this is not to say that their relationship is negative though. theirs no animosity.

nicole - he likes nicole and he's his favorite in the band. is it becaue she's a women? who knows?

billy - completely tired of the charade. assigns questions to band members like a bored instructor? how much is he getting paid to do these things? you can tell he likes playing the under-rehearsed old songs though. the surprise element in the performance seems to entertain him a little.

also its funny becaue in about every song you can see mike going from super-technical tight-armed mechanical clock drumming to a more slack armed slop style. he talks a lot about having to step his game up in most of the times he gets asked anything. what a scared little boy.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #16
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

snoozewank

edit: @SP/BC in general not you slunken

Old 10-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #17
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
has anybody here spent any amount of time watching the VIP Q&A's that have been filmed? i imagine maybe not. watching the general band interaction and how billy tries to orchestrate it all is pretty amazing and telling.
I watched them at first but they got too repetitive and predictable. I like to imagine that your description is exactly what is going on though.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #18
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
Maybe Billy will come around to realizing what we've been seeing in this business all along?
I hope so. But then again - Corgan and his mood swings, he might just try it again next year and give it a go to make the "best SP album ever", "highly sophisticated" etc. etc.
None of them have actually announced an official break up, so he's still free to pull another SP card.

Personally I don't care if he's recording another album with Jeff and 2 new guys, or without Jeff and a new line-up all together - just don't call it Smashing Pumpkins. At this point he really wouldn't do himself any favours. So much expectations come just from the SP label. That ship went down over a decade ago, it won't come up again.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #19
T&T
Socialphobic

maybe a 'fresh new lineup every 7 years' is the secret SP formula!

Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Just shoulda kep jimmy in the band

Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Just shoulda kep jimmy in the band
Would have been better than bad, but not good. And yes, I see what you did there.

Does anyone think that all four original members are needed for it to really be the band? I realize this is a question done to death in 2006, but I wonder if anyone feels differently about it now.

I think 3 of 4 does it. I think the Pumpkins "felt more whole" during Adore than they did during Zeitgeist. Or does the decline of Billy Corgan negate the whole concept at this point?

Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Thanks pavementtuna!
Billy just should try a solo or other project in form of a completely different band.

Positive thing I see in Billy today is he much more sincere now, more himself, with less pressure/rush to do things and a bit mellow collie.
And this is the recipe to he wrote that music that makes we are here.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #23
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlitchford View Post
Does anyone think that all four original members are needed for it to really be the band? I realize this is a question done to death in 2006, but I wonder if anyone feels differently about it now.
Yeah. That's what a band is. It's not like they were some random people that came in and it didn't work out. They contributed to the golden era/two best records.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Hoping this leads to a Billy solo tour where he plays songs from every part of his catalog. I think that's the best possible outcome.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Yeah. That's what a band is. It's not like they were some random people that came in and it didn't work out. They contributed to the golden era/two best records.
Yep. Everytime someone says they like the original lineup, some folks (and billy) counter with: "B0lly n jimmeh did all teh instrumentz Siamese dream!!!!!"

We get it. Billy is the songwriter. Billy and jimmy are proficient on their respective instruments. But the band as a whole was X factor. And it's not even just the mesh of personalities; James and d'arcy played well enough. There wasn't a need for them to shred or some shit. Was watching the aeroplane reissue DVD and I was surprised by how good d'arcy's playing on porcelina. James too on ruby on the mcis DVD.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
Hoping this leads to a Billy solo tour where he plays songs from every part of his catalog. I think that's the best possible outcome.
Yep been saying that for years now and just didn't feel like posting it again. He needs to the whole Masics/Mould thing, solo tours get a band every now and then. Play anywhere and everywhere. Don't let your ego force you into venues and set designs that your current rep can't support.

I would pay very good money to see this and it's the only way I would ever spend money to see him perform again.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I really think Billy and Jimmy were a huge part of the sound. I don't know to what extent to credit James or Darcy technically, but they helped keep BC on the right path more often than not. At the very least they created the chemistry and environment to help him make great music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Yep been saying that for years now and just didn't feel like posting it again. He needs to the whole Masics/Mould thing, solo tours get a band every now and then. Play anywhere and everywhere. Don't let your ego force you into venues and set designs that your current rep can't support.

I would pay very good money to see this and it's the only way I would ever spend money to see him perform again.
Agreed. I got into the Pumpkins in 96, but I didn't have the chance to see them until 2008. It wasn't a great experience (then again, driving three hours to have your childhood idol play is never going to meet such high expectations), but I would be interested a solo tour.