Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-25-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
MajesticFlow
Banned

Default iPod battery?

I just recently got an ipod and the battery life is crap, does anybody have this too? I'd be lucky to get like 4 hours before I have to recharge.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
Zorgon
Apocalyptic Poster

Did you buy it used? Because 4 hours isn't normal. I think all the new ones are touted as having a 12 hour battery life. Maybe more by now.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:51 PM   #3
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

ipod battery life generally isnt what they say...that's the life if you hit play all and let it go without ever manually doing anything...if you change songs or use the backlight alot it'll drain the battery considerably more...also pictures and videos are a huge rape on it...i think if you put it on hold that takes the life too...i found that to be true by testing it

Old 05-26-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
mv2007
Ownz

Definitely set the backlight timer on a shorter setting. That will help, battery life on the 30/60GB video ipods fucking blows. Mine dies after a couple hours.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
lou
Pledge

yep.... same problem here. Saying that, if you test it by fully charging then play continous... if the battery life is still falling way short of what it should be then take it back to apple.

I have a friend who did exactly this... battery life still coming out at approx 4 hours on continous. he took it back to the apple store and they replaced the battery with no quibbles...

it is a major pain the **** though, mine generally lasts four or so hours, but then i do constantly change songs, use the backlight and have it on hold (which you have to do if you're on the move). It is constantly on my mind that one of these days, pretty soon, it's just going to give up the ghost completely!

how much are replacement batteries btw?

Old 05-26-2006, 07:24 AM   #6
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

there was one company who was supplying more powerful batteries at a very afordable price...i'm trying to look up the site

edit: here you are http://www.newertech.com/ipod

my friend had to put one in for a stupid girl and they got their battery on time and with tools to open the ipod without damaging the case or the hdd....once you get the hdd out of the way for some of them it's just like changing a cordless phone battery except slightly more complex

i also just noticed i don't think they support video yet and i realized you probably have a video...but if you don't those are nice replacements of a superior quality and a great value

Old 05-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #7
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

Do the batteries in iPods need to be calibrated like those in laptops, with a full discharge, recharge, discharge, recharge cycle?

Old 05-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
CheeseWhore
Oblivious Virgin

I have a video and it lasts for like 10 - 11 hours

Old 05-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
ammy
yer mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo_91
Do the batteries in iPods need to be calibrated like those in laptops, with a full discharge, recharge, discharge, recharge cycle?

i thought that issue had been fixed with most all recharable batteries as of late..

Old 05-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
The Jesus
Minion of Satan

What bitrate is most of your music? Higher bitrates = larger file sizes = buffer needs to be filled more often = hard drive spins more often = bigger drain on the battery. (This doesn't apply if you have a Nano)

Old 05-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #11
Nothing/everything
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseWhore
I have a video and it lasts for like 10 - 11 hours
same here. Turn the backlight off.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #12
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

what's with all the noobs coming out of the woodwork for this one?