Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 02:17 AM   #61
Mals Marola
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: The Land of Austistic O-board Rejects, Retarded in All Ways
Posts: 3,883
Default

Ogilala and the accompanying tour has had a warm enough "aura" around it to make me feel like this may actually be something incredible, especially with certain things Billy has done or acknowledged - of course this could be a classic case of falling for it once again but hey, what's the worst that could happen?

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #62
Ram27
Minion of Satan
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: mayfair mistress of the satellites
Posts: 5,536
Default

exactly.

i don't think the original 4 could let themselves put out shitty music after an 18 year hiatus

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #63
Corgan's Bluff
Ownz
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
Default

YES, it's still DAMN funny, JIMMY, putting your logo on the heroin addict...

Still damn funny.

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Jimmy Chamberlin (@chamberdrums) am


 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #64
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,981
Default

Fuck man, just a new album with JC would be awesome. But to have the whole band together again, how could you not be stoked? I can't believe the negative reactions I'm reading from people. Lighten up!

Sure Z had it's issues, but BC seemed to fix a lot of those problems with Oash and Monuments, the only problem with those is the performances weren't that good. A new album from the OG lineup has a high probability of kicking ass! I'm officially excited

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #65
Rider
Minion of Satan
 
Rider's Avatar
 
Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler
Posts: 9,267
Default

2019 interview:

"I was all set to do a reunion waiting for it to be inked, Jimmy told some Uber driver about and the next day I went online like an idiot and everyone was talking how it was going to suck so I canceled it."

 
Rider is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #66
brothahi4L
Oblivious Virgin
 
Posts: 31
Default

Original line up seems cool- but i doubt that the album will be enjoyable- billys voice changed too much - i guess the mix will be the most important thing

 
brothahi4L is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #67
MyKeyZ
Demi-God
 
Posts: 362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Fuck man, just a new album with JC would be awesome. But to have the whole band together again, how could you not be stoked? I can't believe the negative reactions I'm reading from people. Lighten up!

Sure Z had it's issues, but BC seemed to fix a lot of those problems with Oash and Monuments, the only problem with those is the performances weren't that good. A new album from the OG lineup has a high probability of kicking ass! I'm officially excited
It's Netphoria, dude. We ain't here to celebrate and sing kumbaya together.

But yeah, a reunion record could be good with the right producer involved. Please, please, please don't let it be Rick Rubin. I hope they go with someone with a little more connection with the original band like Butch Vig, though I'd prefer Flood. It needs to feel like a family reunion in that studio. No outsiders, no strangers.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 11-13-2017 at 12:59 PM.

 
MyKeyZ is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #68
smashingjj
is very perspective
 
Location: my mother, my anus, mayfuck, his mother, reverting and cunt amoebes; the story of my life as a fisherman's wife on mars. now in stores. if you get it before may 30, you'll receive a free coupon to hand it in and get your money back.
Posts: 28,710
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
It's Netphoria, dude. We ain't here to celebrate and sing kumbaya together.
it's not? shit, I must have missed the memo

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #69
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,533
Default

I mentioned this in another thread over the summer, but I would pay good money for videos of rehearsal of any future reunion tour. Can you just imagine Billy?

"Hey Jimmy, Mike played a pretty tough part on "Quasar." Let me know if you need any help figuring it out."

"D'arcy. Good to see you. Did you get the bass line for "Widow Wake My Mind" down? It has a lot of notes.

"James, you should check out Jeff's e-bow work on "Tonight,Tonight." It was absolutely groundbreaking.

 
themadcaplaughs is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #70
T&T
Minion of Satan
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 9,090
Default

we'll see.... for now he's just parading the idea around to promote his new album.

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #71
Corgan's Bluff
Ownz
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
"James, you should check out Jeff's e-bow work on "Tonight,Tonight." It was absolutely groundbreaking.
E-bow? He was more with his elbow wimmering...

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #72
Corgan's Bluff
Ownz
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
we'll see.... for now he's just parading the idea around to promote his new album.
It's just a month old, but already dead in the charts.
Was no good idea to release it on a Friday the 13th, if you believe in transformations...

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #73
ButtHash
Pledge
 
Posts: 237
Default

I don't get why some people here care so much about "the charts". Seems silly. I've never looked up an album and gone "that only placed #153 in the Billboard 200? Ha!"

The guy put out a decent, (mostly) tasteful album, is playing great setlists, and seems to have a newfound appreciation for his audience. In 2017 that should be successful enough

 
ButtHash is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #74
Run To Me
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Run To Me's Avatar
 
Location: Where the frog spoils the leaf
Posts: 3,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtHash View Post
I don't get why some people here care so much about "the charts". Seems silly. I've never looked up an album and gone "that only placed #153 in the Billboard 200? Ha!"

The guy put out a decent, (mostly) tasteful album, is playing great setlists, and seems to have a newfound appreciation for his audience. In 2017 that should be successful enough
I suspect it's b/c of bill's fascination with recapturing the fame/glory/charts of his youth, as evidenced by quite literally everything he's said and done since msots

We, like you, don't give a shit about charts, but b/c it matters so fucking much to bill, it's comical that ogilala has done so poorly when it comes to sales

 
Run To Me is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #75
ButtHash
Pledge
 
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
I suspect it's b/c of bill's fascination with recapturing the fame/glory/charts of his youth, as evidenced by quite literally everything he's said and done since msots

We, like you, don't give a shit about charts, but b/c it matters so fucking much to bill, it's comical that ogilala has done so poorly when it comes to sales
Good points. I thought I noticed he seemed to be banging that drum less on this album cycle, but maybe I'm wrong. Seems like the closest he's gotten to whining about relevance is his endless droning about the music industry. Either way this whole era seems less cynical than the past so ima believer.

 
ButtHash is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #76
Ram27
Minion of Satan
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: mayfair mistress of the satellites
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
YES, it's still DAMN funny, JIMMY, putting your logo on the heroin addict...
haha noticed that too

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #77
FoolofaTook
Braindead
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: The Walla Wallaean Vale
Posts: 16,980
Default

Who the fuck is this Mykeyz motherfucker?

Maybe I want to hold hands and sing kumbaya, you infernal whoreson of a landlubber!

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:09 AM   #78
redbreegull
Immortal
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: we are the new age of whatever
Posts: 25,784
Default

Billy also recently said he is feeling very open to working with other people (in terms of production) which is a very very good thing.

lol they should just do it right and get butch vig

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:26 AM   #79
Corgan's Bluff
Ownz
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtHash View Post
I don't get why some people here care so much about "the charts". Seems silly. I've never looked up an album and gone "that only placed #153 in the Billboard 200? Ha!"

The guy put out a decent, (mostly) tasteful album, is playing great setlists, and seems to have a newfound appreciation for his audience. In 2017 that should be successful enough
CORGAN himself set a benchmark on OGILALA:
"The difficulty is working out how this music fits in the world. Itís not easy to get on the radio and all those traditional things - it's hard to market. My great hope is that it will be well enough received that itíll allow me to do another record."

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:38 AM   #80
amoergosum
Apocalyptic Poster
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,830
Default


 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #81
MyKeyZ
Demi-God
 
Posts: 362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Who the fuck is this Mykeyz motherfucker?

Maybe I want to hold hands and sing kumbaya, you infernal whoreson of a landlubber!
It's called a joke as my comment is based on what I hear many people say about Netphoria outside of here. Then again, you do realize your comment actually goes along with the comments that Netphoria has some miserable twats on here.

Sense of humor, you should learn it sometime.

Are you even an adult? Can't tell the type of mind I'm interacting with. It could explain things.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 11-14-2017 at 09:23 AM.

 
MyKeyZ is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #82
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
CORGAN himself set a benchmark on OGILALA:
"The difficulty is working out how this music fits in the world. Itís not easy to get on the radio and all those traditional things - it's hard to market. My great hope is that it will be well enough received that itíll allow me to do another record."
In all fairness, this quote and others seem to be more about the world's general reaction to the record. He's talked before about how he feels people were unfairly harsh on TheFutureEmbrace because he tried to do something different. I don't think anyone, even Billy himself, expected this album to light up the charts. Honestly, I am surprised it charted at all. All in all, the album has gotten more press, better reviews, and more appearances in traditional media (such as the late show appearances) than anything since Zeitgeist. I would say it has already received more overall attention than Monuments to an Elegy.

As others pointed out, Corgan finally seems to be happy with his place in the music world, seems to fully embrace his legacy and back catalog, and seems open to a reunion of the classic Smashing Pumpkins lineup. From all accounts, the Ogilala shows have been fun and friendly. I'll take any of this over playing Oceania to empty arenas with Mike Byrne on drums. that weird 2014 lineup with Mark Stoermer and Brad Wilk, or any tour where the audience has to endure "Run2Me."

 
themadcaplaughs is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #83
Ram27
Minion of Satan
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: mayfair mistress of the satellites
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I mentioned this in another thread over the summer, but I would pay good money for videos of rehearsal of any future reunion tour. Can you just imagine Billy?

"Hey Jimmy, Mike played a pretty tough part on "Quasar." Let me know if you need any help figuring it out."

"D'arcy. Good to see you. Did you get the bass line for "Widow Wake My Mind" down? It has a lot of notes.

"James, you should check out Jeff's e-bow work on "Tonight,Tonight." It was absolutely groundbreaking.
I'm not sure if I'd love or hate seeing them do post-2000 stuff

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #84
Ram27
Minion of Satan
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: mayfair mistress of the satellites
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtHash View Post
I don't get why some people here care so much about "the charts". Seems silly. I've never looked up an album and gone "that only placed #153 in the Billboard 200? Ha!"

The guy put out a decent, (mostly) tasteful album, is playing great setlists, and seems to have a newfound appreciation for his audience. In 2017 that should be successful enough
Exactly. Charts are absolute bullshit. If a song is good, it's good, it doesn't matter how many fucking radio stations it gets played on. If it's meaningful to you, that matters more than how many copies it sold.

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #85
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,981
Default

I definitely understand any skepticism that comes along with Billy Corgan at this point in the journey, but if we can't be optimistic about the prospects of him making a new record with Jimmy, James and Darcy then what's the point of even being a fan?

Sure, it's more than likely that it wont live up to SD and MCIS, but I think they can make some compelling music together that is worth hearing... And really, Billy's voice has been better on OASH and Monuments... It's only when he's on a long tour that the voice really seems to crap out ( I was listening to a few tracks from the Oash DVD the other night and god... he sounds like shit)

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #86
Ram27
Minion of Satan
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: mayfair mistress of the satellites
Posts: 5,536
Default

Even if his voice was fucked in the old days, it still sounded good in a way

Even on good days now it's still bad

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #87
amoergosum
Apocalyptic Poster
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,830
Default




 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #88
Shadaloo
Ownz
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: put those panties back on the line and get the hell out of my yard
Posts: 597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I definitely understand any skepticism that comes along with Billy Corgan at this point in the journey, but if we can't be optimistic about the prospects of him making a new record with Jimmy, James and Darcy then what's the point of even being a fan?

Sure, it's more than likely that it wont live up to SD and MCIS, but I think they can make some compelling music together that is worth hearing... And really, Billy's voice has been better on OASH and Monuments... It's only when he's on a long tour that the voice really seems to crap out ( I was listening to a few tracks from the Oash DVD the other night and god... he sounds like shit)
Concur with this. Anyone expecting them to match MCIS or SD is delusional and should check themselves - would love to be proven wrong, no mistake - but that doesn't mean the entire notion needs shitting on. I get the expectation that Bill will be his usual egomaniac self and not let any of them have any input, but I don't think at this point any of them will let him get away with that kind of shit; that's why JC left the second time. I don't think they'd even be trying this unless they all came to some sort of understanding.

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #89
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I'm not sure if I'd love or hate seeing them do post-2000 stuff
When Jimmy rejoined the band in 2015, I would have accepted him playing on Oceania stuff. But I agree, now that we potentially have the classic lineup back, the only post-2000 songs I'd be interested in seeing live would be any recordings they make next year.

 
themadcaplaughs is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #90
FoolofaTook
Braindead
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: The Walla Wallaean Vale
Posts: 16,980
Default

Match sd and mcis

lolololololol

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i have to do an informative essay in english about ANYTHING D. Music Board Archive 21 09-09-2007 09:51 PM
Billy Corgan: Netphoria is "bullshit" Ol' Couch Ass Pumpkins Archive 388 07-13-2007 06:19 PM
Wanted: Studio Sessions Information davin Pumpkins Archive 49 06-24-2007 08:37 AM
2007 Pisces Iscariot Reference Virex19 Pumpkins Archive 80 04-29-2007 05:01 AM
Does anyone know where the band is from and who were the original members?? Travis Meeks Pumpkins Archive 32 11-06-2006 02:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2014