Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #211
Elphenor
Braindead

That riff is still pretty tame and generic

Old 10-21-2014, 01:18 AM   #212
Elphenor
Braindead

Corgan's guitar playing is increasingly resembling the sample choices you get with garage band

Old 10-21-2014, 01:19 AM   #213
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
That riff is still pretty tame and generic
which one? In the clip?

You have to hear it in context, man.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:22 AM   #214
Elphenor
Braindead

It reminds of when we had that little snippet of Quasar and people on the Oboard were like HOLY SHIT FUCK YEAH

Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #215
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Corgan's guitar playing is increasingly resembling the sample choices you get with garage band
yeah garageband is getting pretty tight

you should try the drummer function in logic pro

Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #216
Luke de Spa

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

pretty soon those apps will auto-generate songs and they'll be better than this beige number

Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #217
Order 66
Socialphobic

HOT ROCKER

Old 10-21-2014, 01:30 AM   #218
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

You think maybe we will agree being beige's vid is not as good as owata's? I think there is a chance.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #219
Ram27
Minion of Satan

Location: Iha: All right! I can't fucking hear you! (laughs) I'm just kidding. Stop your enthusiasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa View Post
yeah garageband is getting pretty tight

you should try the drummer function in logic pro
A while back I made a joke on here about how Billy could just fire Mike Burns and use that

but no one got it

...it'd be really interesting to see the programming behind that

Old 10-21-2014, 01:32 AM   #220
reprise85
Wizard

Location: I'm surprised you guys are so big on rap, considering it's the most masochistic music of any genre.

its growing on me a little i guess, but i wouldn't give a song like this multiple listens if it wasn't corgan

Old 10-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #221
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
HOT ROCKER
LE HOT ROCKER MEME

Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 AM   #222
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Featuring Tommy Lee on drums, the song is heavy on acoustic strumming and rising choruses. During the verses, drum machine beats lend support to Billy’s soft vocals. Heavily distorted guitars and Tommy’s pounding drum fills explode into thundering choruses. It’s a tune full of emotional lyrics, and one that should have Pumpkins fans excited to hear more from the new album.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Corgan spoke about the song:

People always ask me to explain songs, and honestly I can’t. But if there’s honesty in this lyric, it’s that there’s something amiss in our cosmos. Yet still, we must love

THERE'S SOMETHING AMISS IN OUR COSMOS GUYS

Old 10-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #223
null123
Minion of Satan

slunken's post which the multiquote feature failed to preserve for me was really good. I'm really trying to find some deeper meaning in the senseless tragedy of Billy's career instead of repeating the same things about the ways in which it isn't good because this song features all the same problems that have been going on for years.

I know that Billy's ears work well but I also realize that art is hard and sometimes you can't see your own work at all. I suspect this is especially true when you're a veteran and you have so many tricks and tropes to pull from your own body of work that you can reassemble and some unconscious part of your brain is telling you yes, A+B=song, there's no problem here. If Billy came out of the gate with this kind of music he would have failed and been forced to try a million formulas to achieve success just like he did when he worked out the Pumpkins sound for the first time. Musicians all seem to run into this as time goes on but Billy's blindspots are a little unconventional.

At least he's not boring-bland like Foo Fighters and instead makes me say "what the fuck" out loud with every fundamentally wrong thing he releases

Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 AM   #224
Elphenor
Braindead

The answer is everyone stop giving a shit and make Corgan earn whatever tiny bit of fame he still has

Old 10-21-2014, 02:13 AM   #225
Crepe
Pledge

Better than I thought it would be.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:30 AM   #226
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

It is starting to grow on me a bit but not in an I love it kinda way.

Bill is trying to be mainstream, bitter sweet if he gets his wish.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:54 AM   #227
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

so the song is boring? heartless? phoned in? a song called being beige? you're kidding!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #228
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"BEING BEIGE, a hot rocker that Howard professed love for."

Old 10-21-2014, 03:29 AM   #229
bigoltitties
Pledge

Its incredibly familiar. Like a combination of latter day Billy songs. A bit of Thats the Way My Love Is in the verses except he doesn't go down to that lower note. Then there's also a bit of Camera Eye in the way he's singing it and the tempo.

I like it for what it is, a very simple uplifting pop song. But its well below what Billy is capable of. It just seems to be a bit too comfortable for him.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:58 AM   #230
Luke de Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
At least he's not boring-bland like Foo Fighters and instead makes me say "what the fuck" out loud with every fundamentally wrong thing he releases
i think those two are actually very similar, the major difference being that dave grohl never rebelled against the instincts that made him successful in the first place

Old 10-21-2014, 04:05 AM   #231
MrBoki
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams of glass View Post
No. not really.
Listen more carefully.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:06 AM   #232
fuzzyroes
Immortal

Well that was absolutely terrible. Fuck this new shit makes some of the Zeitgeist stuff sound like downright masterpieces in comparison. I mean, give this a listen after Being Beige and it's clear how far Billys star has fallen in just 7 years.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:08 AM   #233
MrBoki
Amish Rake Fighter

Tommy Lee is certainly a talented drummer but man oh man is he a gigantic douche bag! I wish Billy had found someone else. Seriously, remember Methods Of Mayhem? Motley Puke? Oops, I meant Crue. Whatever. Tommy Lee is a DOUCHE!

Old 10-21-2014, 04:12 AM   #234
fuzzyroes
Immortal

On the plus side; from a compositional standpoint the music sounds cohesive and is structurally tight on the performance side of the coin. Tommy sounds locked in with Billy and theres a tightness that comes thru that has been missing for quite some time.

Unfortunately it's just a terribly uninteresting song. The songwritings terribly bland and formulaic. If this was U2 everyone would probably just hate it, but because it's Corgan people listen to it 20 times and TRY to like it.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:38 AM   #235
Shallowed
Braindead

Location: A compostable condom made from 100% recycled materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Well that was absolutely terrible. Fuck this new shit makes some of the Zeitgeist stuff sound like downright masterpieces in comparison. I mean, give this a listen after Being Beige and it's clear how far Billys star has fallen in just 7 years.

The Zeitgeist B-sides have always been positively regarded, especially in comparison to the album tracks.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:47 AM   #236
Saintsfan33
Amish Rake Fighter

So far, it appears to be getting the same, if not identical, response as Tom Tom.

We must not forget that Billy does have a sort of 50-50 record of picking the first/promo singles for albums. Although it worked out for Jellybelly v. BWTW, same can't be said for others such as TEG v. SIYL, Mina Loy v. Walking Shade, etc.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #237
Euronomus
Demi-God

Shit's cringe worthy - Billy's seriously starting to make me embarrassed That I was ever into his music in the first place.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:59 AM   #238
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post

...if this was the new single, I'd be pretty happy...so much better than that Cold Plumpkins stuff.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:03 AM   #239
fuzzyroes
Immortal

Yeah... Corgan likes to maintain this attitude as if he's an artist based on integrity, but this new single sounds like a total cash-grab attempt to fit in with the whole Coldplay sounding trend.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #240
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Being Beige reminds me of this quote (Single Video Theory documentary):

Mike McCready: "I get afraid of losing that creative energy... where it's like 'where's it going to come from'... am I going to lose it someday... or will I have it for a while and then will it just run out because I've seen that happen to other bands."