Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Postfinal Debate about Zeitgeist

oooooh

for an album called zeitgeist it was kind of out of touch with not only the music around but also the fans it was supposed to appeal to.

The production was terrible and the songs were kind of bland. Which is a shame, because we know he can do better.

I dont really listen to it. But like yeah, its music i suppose.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

suck on THIS, sjpaterra

Old 02-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Astur
Apocalyptic Poster

I recall many hating the song around here, but I've always been a sucker for Bleeding the Orchid. I saw them play it live on TV before listening to the actual album and it was like "woah, they might be back for real". But then I listened to the whole album and well. Just not. Makes a nice curio listen from time to time, that's for sure.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory

it's a good album

Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
slunken
Virgo

yea i mean, compared to TBK

Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astur View Post
I recall many hating the song around here, but I've always been a sucker for Bleeding the Orchid. I saw them play it live on TV before listening to the actual album and it was like "woah, they might be back for real". But then I listened to the whole album and well. Just not. Makes a nice curio listen from time to time, that's for sure.
the rock am ring one?

dunno, its just kind of a bit meh

the version of shame on that gig was really good though. I remember watching it at uni and thinking, yeah this is where the song ends now... and then they went off on that bit at the end!

lol i love theres only 1k views on youtube for the first gig they did in ten years!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

haha good point about the title. it's called Zeitgeist but it exists in a bubble billy made in 1998.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Kahlo

Pretty sure that Billy perceived the 2007 world of rock albums being bland, boring, underwhelming and badly produced. In that way it's totally part of the Zeitgeist - Billy Corgan's mental Zeitgeist (which would have made for a better album name)

Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

kahlo thats so deep man.

so whats he been up to recently? has he done anything good?

I heard he was doing some single thing.

he should get into dubstep

Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
Shallowed
Braindead

Recommend me some dupstep?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Eulogy
huh

TTW, Stellar, and Zeitgeist are the only songs I'll go to bat for. But I still like most of the other stuff on it at least a little I suppose.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Starz.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta of Muppet View Post
Recommend me some dupstep?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDpCQ437bsE

and this one I really enjoyed on acid, so if it sucks in reality, I'm sorry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIEEIif21g4

Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Cade McNown
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
TTW, Stellar, and Zeitgeist are the only songs I'll go to bat for. But I still like most of the other stuff on it at least a little I suppose.
agreed

Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #15
pabrimmer
Amish Rake Fighter

I like Zeitgeist and the Teargarden stuff too. Bring the Light still makes me smile, and I think anyone listening with open ears and heart would agree that Song for a Son stands side by side with the tall trees of yesteryear.

"for an album called zeitgeist it was kind of out of touch with not only the music around but also the fans it was supposed to appeal to."

That's not how art works.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 AM   #16
antiskum
Demi-God

i listened to zeigeist and my parents died, my sister got knocked up and my girlfriend left me

zeitgeist changed my life

Old 02-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #17
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDpCQ437bsE

and this one I really enjoyed on acid, so if it sucks in reality, I'm sorry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIEEIif21g4
When I requested dubstep recommendations, the last thing I wanted was dubstep recommendations.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #18
emotionalfriend
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiskum View Post
i listened to zeigeist and my parents died, my sister got knocked up and my girlfriend left me

and my marriage ended

Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #19
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiskum View Post

zeitgeist is bad enough to kill your parents. and destroy your life.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #20
sjpaterra
Ownz

this IS a better thread... except i dont understand why people complain about the production? So many new rock records are protools'd to death and every rhythm sections sounds like something off a Lady gaga track... every song has a sort of 'dance-like' quality to it... which i think is totally lame. I'm glad ZEITGEIST was "all analog" and that the drums sound fucking fantastic and the guitars thundering, blistering, overdubbed, and tuned down a whole step and a half (i think?)... As far as the vocals, ok, all the la-la-la and ahhhhhhhh stuff upset me the most... and the lyrical content of songs like 'Bring the light' kinda fucking lack! I mean, how many fucking times does billy say "bring the light"? Same thing with c'mon lets go... c'mon, c'mon... too much c'mon... i lol'd at that c'mon thread... BUT AS FAR AS THE TIMBRE of his voice and what he's actually USING his voice for... i was rather impressed... and a lot of the lyrics had pretty dark, heavy imagery... namely Tarntula and united states

Old 02-05-2011, 03:13 AM   #21
Trotskilicious
Banned

what fucking rock records are you listening to? "Lady gaga track" what the fuck are you talking about? Do you even know?

Old 02-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #22
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

dude seems a bit out of touch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaterra View Post
I'm glad ZEITGEIST was "all analog" and that the drums sound fucking fantastic
yeah, the drums are the only part of it that are honestly good, except they are barely audible above all the other shit. Really too bad THE PRODUCTION killed them.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 AM   #23
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

i like zeitgeist a lot.

drop: Bleeding The Orchard, That's The Way, P&C, For God And Country

add: stellar, ma belle, death from above, and (wishful thinking) Gossamer

hell, i'd even rather have G.L.O.W. or F.O.L. over those four i would drop.

but what a great album! and every studio release since American Gothic has been complete shit (except for maybe Pox).

Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #24
Astur
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
this IS a better thread... except i dont understand why people complain about the production? So many new rock records are protools'd to death and every rhythm sections sounds like something off a Lady gaga track... every song has a sort of 'dance-like' quality to it... which i think is totally lame. I'm glad ZEITGEIST was "all analog" and that the drums sound fucking fantastic and the guitars thundering, blistering, overdubbed, and tuned down a whole step and a half (i think?)... As far as the vocals, ok, all the la-la-la and ahhhhhhhh stuff upset me the most... and the lyrical content of songs like 'Bring the light' kinda fucking lack! I mean, how many fucking times does billy say "bring the light"? Same thing with c'mon lets go... c'mon, c'mon... too much c'mon... i lol'd at that c'mon thread... BUT AS FAR AS THE TIMBRE of his voice and what he's actually USING his voice for... i was rather impressed... and a lot of the lyrics had pretty dark, heavy imagery... namely Tarntula and united states
cool bro, story

Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #25
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

glow is a good song.

until he ruins it with cmon cmon cmon cmon cmon cmon

Old 02-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #26
sjpaterra
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
what fucking rock records are you listening to? "Lady gaga track" what the fuck are you talking about? Do you even know?
if you had any idea what was mainstream and topping the charts these days, youd know exactly what i was talking about. Im not even trying to suggest that all new music sounds as bad as the top 40 shit... and the top 40 shit isnt even worth listening to, because its all garbage. as far as the smashing pumpkins, theyve pretty well always been a top 40 band but a top 40 band that very much deserved their time in the spotlight.... so far ZEITGEIST to sound the way it does, compared to LINKIN PARK or NEON TREES or CAGE THE ELEPHANT or GRIZZLY BEAR or ALTER BRIDGE (lol), my chemical romance, three days grace, and diusturbed? c'mon, those are the top 10 rock songs according to billboard as of today... WHAT THE FUCK? and florence + the machine? give me a break... all these recordings sound like piss and shit. And none of these are that far-off from lady gaga or whoever else you want to waste time thinking about. So good hats off to making a great-sounding (but uninspired and still lame) album in 2007

Old 02-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #27
sjpaterra
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
dude seems a bit out of touch...

yeah, the drums are the only part of it that are honestly good, except they are barely audible above all the other shit. Really too bad THE PRODUCTION killed them.

I dont know what youre talking about but the drums sound bloody fantastic and organic... you can turn an amp up to 10 but not a drum kit... the mixing/volume has a lot more to do with jimmy's actual playing than you might think. Its not all bad post-production

Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #28
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
if you had any idea what was mainstream and topping the charts these days, youd know exactly what i was talking about.
Who gives a shit what tops charts. Why is that so fucking important to you. Just because you haven't bothered to listen to rock music since 1997 doesn't make it ok for you to say dumb ass shit.

Quote:
Im not even trying to suggest that all new music sounds as bad as the top 40 shit... and the top 40 shit isnt even worth listening to, because its all garbage.
That's an dinosaur aestetic that grew out of top forty grunge bands, paradoxically.

Quote:
LINKIN PARK or NEON TREES or CAGE THE ELEPHANT or GRIZZLY BEAR or ALTER BRIDGE (lol), my chemical romance, three days grace, and diusturbed? c'mon, those are the top 10 rock songs according to billboard as of today... WHAT THE FUCK? and florence + the machine? give me a break... all these recordings sound like piss and shit.
Who cares what's on the Billboard charts. If you're giving Billy credit for releasing a rock record in 2007 that didn't sound like top ten 2007 songs then you really have no idea what was going on in 2007. Neon Bible, Icky Thump and In Rainbows all came out that year from big bands that may not be the holy "Top Forty" but sure are more relevant to rock and roll fans than the kiddy rock that you listed. And Nick Cave in his late 40s put out Grinderman which is better than Zeitgeist by someone who for all intents in purposes should be a dinosaur like Bill, but isn't. There's no excuse for ignorance.

I'm sure this is all "hipster shit" to you or something but that's why you're still saying dumb shit on an internet message board about "Lady Gaga tracks" and moaning about "top forty".

Old 02-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #29
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean aught seven wasn't as bad ass as aught five but instead of WHINING CONSTANTLY about the damn kids and their new crap music maybe you should try to find some shit you like and stop acting like Zeitgeist is even a tenth as good as In Rainbows.

oh wait i forgot, In Rainbows sold a shit ton that year on peer to peer crowd sourcing and special edition vinyl. Stuff that doesn't pop up in those HOLY UNTOUCHABLE MAINSTREAM YARDSTICK BILLBOARD CHARTS. So much for your theory, anyway.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #30
sjpaterra
Ownz

Except I made an effort to avoid mentioning the white stripes (RIP) and radiohead because those bands are a cut above the rest... Yeah, I bought the in rainbows box set, too... There are a TON of great bands playing great songs, I know. But there was a time when Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Beatles, Cream, Neil Young, etc WERE top 40 and there was room for music to be commercial because it was GREAT... I think Billy tried to say "look, a big mainstream act like the pumpkins can still be mainstream and kick everybody's ass"... In Rainbows and Icky Thump sent more blood to my penis in 2007 than zeitgeist... after all, zeitgeist was a huge disappointment. I think the whole point of my INITIAL thread was that "woah, everyone says zeitgeist is totally shit but the truth is that its mostly shit but theres some incredible music on there that needs to be acknowledged and not tossed in the same pile as For God and Country"... JEEZE, fuck billboard and all those shitty bands. The truth is that rock and roll, in general, has pretty much run the gamut... There's about 500 years (250 if youre really anal) of incredible music thats always overlooked by new generations of music lovers because theres some sort of perverse interest in anything thats new... As great as the pumpkins are, and ive heard all their music as much as the rest of you, Debussy and Wagner some pretty gut=wrenching shit... dont be afraid of music with stupid titles like "classical" or "jazz"... i guess hwat im saying is that fi its great, its great, fuck rock and roll as an ideology... its just music for kids