Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #181
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
The link worked on my iPad but not my iphone
Bummer. Stuck in Chicago with only my iPhone.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #182
meangreensp
Ownz

reprise, u mad

oh, by the way, i found it hilarious that someone implied that matt walker was a good drummer

plz lol

anyway one diamond, pinwheels, and oceania (song) as well as wildflower are pretty ghey

Old 06-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #183
fuzzyroes
Banned

Hey look, the guy praising Mike Byrne is making fun of Matt Walker... Self explanatory i suppose

Old 06-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #184
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, honestly I haven't noticed anything truly offensive about the drumming here. It's serviceable to the music. There synth sounds are also less offensive/irritating than the Amazon samples suggested. It sounds like he might have been using his MOOG?

This hasn't exactly been said before, but this album really strikes me as what could have been the sound of the natural musical progression for a post-Adore album had Jimmy not returned. It has a lot of the bright, open guitar tones and electronically enhanced sequences that characterized Adore. And actually, yeah, elements of Machina tracks, too (i.e. AoI) as someone said but without any harder edge.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #185
meangreensp
Ownz

never praised byrne

can u fucking read

Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #186
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreensp View Post
reprise, u mad

oh, by the way, i found it hilarious that someone implied that matt walker was a good drummer

plz lol

anyway one diamond, pinwheels, and oceania (song) as well as wildflower are pretty ghey
Somebody ban this stupid fuck

Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #187
meangreensp
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
It's serviceable to the music.
exactly

people are listening going "man byrne sucks so will oceania omg what a shitty drummer omg omg omg omg"

Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #188
meangreensp
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
Somebody ban this stupid fuck
stupid fuck that didn't submit an essay to the essay contest

did you win by polishing monte's cock

Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #189
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Matt walker is a great drummer. Somebody needs to say that

Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #190
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I wish every track was as good as Quasar and Pale Horse.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #191
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

plenty of people have said it's fine/not bad. there are mixed opinions, fucking deal with it

Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #192
meangreensp
Ownz

Quote:
that's why he's a career journeyman

Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #193
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
and this

Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #194
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory

at any rate, im really happy with The Celestials. what a nice surprise, i even think the lyrics might be quite good

Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #195
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Quote:
Bummer. Stuck in Chicago with only my iPhone.
Might work for you if you're American.

Quasar is actually pretty cool but the mix sucks and the drums overpower everything.

I like the guitar tone though.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #196
rottenugly
Banned

Well, that was awkward. Finished the album now.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #197
meangreensp
Ownz

album is a 3.5/5

Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #198
fuzzyroes
Banned

Look I agree that Byrne is "serviceable" But Chamberlin just put Corgans music over the fucking top... It was 2 musical powerhouses feeding off each other be it mellow or kick in the teeth... It was a fantastic match...

Billys stepped his game up but hes done it with a drummer thats just serviceable at the very best...

Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #199
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Panopticon better than the live version and Billy's vox decent. Byrne's drums okay but his snare is driving me crazy.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #200
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
that's why he's a career journeyman
Petition to mute this fuck

Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #201
meangreensp
Ownz

yeah byrne's snare is quite annoying after a while

i just am foaming at the mouth thinking about how great quasar would have been with chamberlin. this could easily have been, say, a 4.5/5 with jimmy.

why the fuck did he leave in the first place

it was that fucking train wreck of a 20th anniversary tour i bet

Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #202
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

jotted down while listening:

song 1 - quasar
riffs suck. don't like listening to them. wank wank wank. no clue what he is saying, no desire to figure it out. at least it changes up at around 2:10 or so

song 2 - panopticon
soungs like the same song as the first, except probably more annoying. vocal melody is a piece of garbage. takes a zwanish turn.. not nearly as annoying, but certainly not amazing.

song 3 - the celestials
could hear the lyrics, felt like trying to follow them. some of the melodies i didn't like, some i liked a lot. little restraint went a long way compraed to those first two songs. first incarnation with the band where the bass is its own instrument. when the guitars get loud, it doens't feel like wankery for the sake of it, it's more of a progression of the song. encouraging, good song.

song 4 - violet rays
slow start, not a bad thing. w/ this song and the last, an element i like is that it's not stupid words repeated ad nauseam w/ dumb riffs. he's communicating w/ feeling, it doesn't feel like he's wasting both of our time. "I'll kiss anyone tonight", LOL!

song 5 - my love is winter
this has the feel of a song like "that's the way my love is". here is semi-catchy song with love as the theme. these don't really do it for me, but i get it. goofy synth was at least a little interesting. song doesn't do it for me, but i do not find it offensive like i did quasar and panopticon. weak/pointless guitar solo

song 6 - one diamond, one heart
LOL! i don't know what to make of the intro. sounded like it was either going to be robyn or some sort of parody. kind of a sappy, sincereish song. not really my speed, but sincere and sappy has always been a welcome element of good pumpkins records, so you can't hold that against them. in fact, it's a lot better than the faux-heavy garbage in those first 2. not amazing, but better than... take your pick of most sp2 songs.

song 7 - pinwheels
again, hard to know how to take the intro. its not blowing my mind, put it that way. texture at least gets a little more intersting w/ the guitar coming in. am a little curious how this would sound with less of the little embellishments. the acoustic/vocal parts sound nice. perhaps it would have been too boring. song certainly not blowing my mind. way less offensive than "riffs" and posturing though.

song 8 - oceania
blah blah.. not feeling this so far. plodding along here, strong suspicion whatever 'payoff' there is will not be worth the long journey to it. arriving at a part w/ acoustic strumming now.. decent.. ok, third act coming along.. zzzz.. yep, snoozefest. wank wank wank, whatever. at least we're fading out now, was concerned they were going to double down and try to "bring it". two albums in a row where the "epic" song was one i'd definitely be fine w/ not listening to again

song 9 - pale horse
love the intro! sounds amazing. this is the shit! nice going bill. this is easily my favorite one so far. "please come back" - simple, sincere. love it.

song 10 - the chimera
not good enough when describing music to articulate why this is a bit less wankery than some of the others, but the heavy guitars, etc. don't really bother me here, it's got more of a groove to it. zwanish i guess. pretty good

song 11 - glissandra
bouncy intro. a little bland overall mostly vocals/lyrics/melody. some of the music's alright. nothing to write home about, but we've been subjected to worse

song 12 - inkless
fuck, who does this remind me of? ghahdhfh. i can't put my finger on it. AH!! switchfoot, that riff on "meant to live". there we go. the general feel/tone of the intro guitars reminds me of the intro of that song. lame band, great riff, so i'm fine w/ that. this song itself sounds pretty good.

song 13 - wildflower
solemn sounding intro.. as for album closers, this one is a little more in the "pomp and circumstance" category and less in the "farewell and goodnight" or "luna" categories, but that's fine. i'm cool with this. didn't blow my mind, didn't stink up the joint. i like the guitar toward the end.

conclusion:

one listen only. surely some of them will grow on me, shine will wear off of some. but the impressions from the amazon.com samples were pretty good indications of what these ended up sounding like.

i realize all of my compliments are lef-handed / underhanded. i acknowledge having a pessimisic perspective here, but don't apologize for it. it's been a long time that we've been hanging in here hoping for a shred of something good, instead getting songs like 'united states' and heaps of other garbage. there are no truly clean slates.

drumming was not an element i really paid attention to here. it didn't command any attention. whereas w/ jimmy, always worth paying special attention to.

so yeah, i'll buy it, like i've done every other album except american gothic. and i'll feel like it was money much better spend than zeitgeist, that's for sure. they put in an honest effort, it's significantly better than anything they've done in a very long time. but there are some real stinkers on there and i'm still smarting from a decade of other ones. definitely got some things right this time around though.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #203
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm on The Chimera now. ARRGGGH. Goddamn the riffing + lead on this could have been EPIC had Billy turned up the fucking guitars and let them roar at a proper fucking 11!!!!!! Quit burying that shit, man.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #204
meangreensp
Ownz

so what color

you don't like panopticon

but yet you like one diamond

what

i am enjoying the rawk on this album

just needs some grittier guitars but the pumpkins buzz saw tone is back

i was hoping we'd at least get one face melter but whatev

Old 06-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #205
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
yeah byrne's snare is quite annoying after a while

i just am foaming at the mouth thinking about how great quasar would have been with chamberlin. this could easily have been, say, a 4.5/5 with jimmy.

why the fuck did he leave in the first place

it was that fucking train wreck of a 20th anniversary tour i bet
make up your fucking mind.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #206
chucklescrotum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
jotted down while listening:

song 1 - quasar
riffs suck. don't like listening to them. wank wank wank. no clue what he is saying, no desire to figure it out. at least it changes up at around 2:10 or so

song 2 - panopticon
soungs like the same song as the first, except probably more annoying. vocal melody is a piece of garbage. takes a zwanish turn.. not nearly as annoying, but certainly not amazing.

song 3 - the celestials
could hear the lyrics, felt like trying to follow them. some of the melodies i didn't like, some i liked a lot. little restraint went a long way compraed to those first two songs. first incarnation with the band where the bass is its own instrument. when the guitars get loud, it doens't feel like wankery for the sake of it, it's more of a progression of the song. encouraging, good song.

song 4 - violet rays
slow start, not a bad thing. w/ this song and the last, an element i like is that it's not stupid words repeated ad nauseam w/ dumb riffs. he's communicating w/ feeling, it doesn't feel like he's wasting both of our time. "I'll kiss anyone tonight", LOL!

song 5 - my love is winter
this has the feel of a song like "that's the way my love is". here is semi-catchy song with love as the theme. these don't really do it for me, but i get it. goofy synth was at least a little interesting. song doesn't do it for me, but i do not find it offensive like i did quasar and panopticon. weak/pointless guitar solo

song 6 - one diamond, one heart
LOL! i don't know what to make of the intro. sounded like it was either going to be robyn or some sort of parody. kind of a sappy, sincereish song. not really my speed, but sincere and sappy has always been a welcome element of good pumpkins records, so you can't hold that against them. in fact, it's a lot better than the faux-heavy garbage in those first 2. not amazing, but better than... take your pick of most sp2 songs.

song 7 - pinwheels
again, hard to know how to take the intro. its not blowing my mind, put it that way. texture at least gets a little more intersting w/ the guitar coming in. am a little curious how this would sound with less of the little embellishments. the acoustic/vocal parts sound nice. perhaps it would have been too boring. song certainly not blowing my mind. way less offensive than "riffs" and posturing though.

song 8 - oceania
blah blah.. not feeling this so far. plodding along here, strong suspicion whatever 'payoff' there is will not be worth the long journey to it. arriving at a part w/ acoustic strumming now.. decent.. ok, third act coming along.. zzzz.. yep, snoozefest. wank wank wank, whatever. at least we're fading out now, was concerned they were going to double down and try to "bring it". two albums in a row where the "epic" song was one i'd definitely be fine w/ not listening to again

song 9 - pale horse
love the intro! sounds amazing. this is the shit! nice going bill. this is easily my favorite one so far. "please come back" - simple, sincere. love it.

song 10 - the chimera
not good enough when describing music to articulate why this is a bit less wankery than some of the others, but the heavy guitars, etc. don't really bother me here, it's got more of a groove to it. zwanish i guess. pretty good

song 11 - glissandra
bouncy intro. a little bland overall mostly vocals/lyrics/melody. some of the music's alright. nothing to write home about, but we've been subjected to worse

song 12 - inkless
fuck, who does this remind me of? ghahdhfh. i can't put my finger on it. AH!! switchfoot, that riff on "meant to live". there we go. the general feel/tone of the intro guitars reminds me of the intro of that song. lame band, great riff, so i'm fine w/ that. this song itself sounds pretty good.

song 13 - wildflower
solemn sounding intro.. as for album closers, this one is a little more in the "pomp and circumstance" category and less in the "farewell and goodnight" or "luna" categories, but that's fine. i'm cool with this. didn't blow my mind, didn't stink up the joint. i like the guitar toward the end.

conclusion:

one listen only. surely some of them will grow on me, shine will wear off of some. but the impressions from the amazon.com samples were pretty good indications of what these ended up sounding like.

i realize all of my compliments are lef-handed / underhanded. i acknowledge having a pessimisic perspective here, but don't apologize for it. it's been a long time that we've been hanging in here hoping for a shred of something good, instead getting songs like 'united states' and heaps of other garbage. there are no truly clean slates.

drumming was not an element i really paid attention to here. it didn't command any attention. whereas w/ jimmy, always worth paying special attention to.

so yeah, i'll buy it, like i've done every other album except american gothic. and i'll feel like it was money much better spend than zeitgeist, that's for sure. they put in an honest effort, it's significantly better than anything they've done in a very long time. but there are some real stinkers on there and i'm still smarting from a decade of other ones. definitely got some things right this time around though.
Excellent review! My impression of Oceania is pretty much similar.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #207
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
so what color

you don't like panopticon

but yet you like one diamond

what

i am enjoying the rawk on this album

just needs some grittier guitars but the pumpkins buzz saw tone is back

i was hoping we'd at least get one face melter but whatev
i said it wasn't amazing, but wasn't as bad as most sp2 songs. to say i like the song is not actually accurate. i'm not disgusted by it, but it didn't jump out to me as a very good song

Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #208
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory

this is a nice album and certaintly a nice surprise from what i heard. nothing completely mind blowing but like paul hem said, but things were done right. i think people liked Zeitgeist so much the first few days it was out was because of the deserved optimism at that point, but that fact that people seem to like this to some extent is kinda cool.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #209
meangreensp
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
make up your fucking mind.
how about my mind is made up

he's serviceable

you just can't fucking read

anyway, the positivity is surprising as hell

everyone was so negative

and tbk had two good songs (freak and tom tom)

so i had no faith corgan knew how to write songs

wrong

Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #210
dustrock
debunked!

Holy shit The Celestials.

Violet Rays mostly forgettable.

MLIW better than I thought it would be.