Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Default What are the chances of SP being done for good after this tour/EPs?

Billy, James and Jimmy are all in their fifties. The chances of D'arcy returning and validating another "reunion" are next to null. James and Jimmy came back for one last big payday instead of passion for creating Pumpkins music (the big comeback single was a MTAE leftover after all, instead of a group effort). I think Billy even mentioned a few years back that he only has a handful of years to properly sing the type of aggressive music SP is known for to a lot of people. They aren't gonna get a bigger producer than Rick Rubin to garner attention. Etc, etc.

What I got out of those D'arcy texts was that to Billy this tour was going to be the last hurrah. If The Smashing Pumpkins are truly done after this, how would you feel about it?

As much as I would like to hear another album produced by Butch Vig, I really have no reason to believe that the SP magic could still be there. They had a great run in the 90s and it's been a never-ending string of disappointments since. They're not the same people anymore and Billy is not the songwriter he once was. That being said, I hope they all get a lot of cash from this tour. They deserve it. Billy deserves it. I hope he keeps making solo albums for decades to come.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

I think this is a one-and-done thing for James. In the Stern interview, Billy made it sound like they had this big explosion of creativity when they were recording, but he was probably just talking it up. Maybe James would come back and record a new EP or album but I don't know. He's probably more content to just do his thing with A Perfect Circle or whatever. I could see Billy and Jimmy recording and playing again, although he even said after the Zeitgeist era that his heart wasn't in it anymore (hence the reason he left). D'arcy is obviously never coming back.

But I could see Billy continuing to release SP stuff with Jeff and other yes men and women. It probably won't be very good, but I doubt he'll ever give up the band/brand.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
slayed23
Ownz

I hope they continue to make music and tour. The truth though is that I don't even think they know what is going to happen.

I don't think age is really a factor more so than logistics and personal endeavors.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
myosis
Minion of Satan

like i said in the other thread, the show looks like a tribute to a dead band from the past.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

as opposed to what? a dead band from the future?

Old 07-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
D'arcy is obviously never coming back.
...who knows.

Billy called James "one of the worst human beings" he's ever met in his life.
That also sounded like he is never coming back.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Why wouldn't they continue? Classic rock bands are dying, and the Pumpkins' 90's contemporaries are dying too. They'll be successful by attrition.

Billy even said in an interview last year he'd be fine with a new album/release every 4-5 years type of thing like many other 90's bands do now. He can work on his solo stuff during Pumpkins downtime.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
coolstorybro
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
I think he meant a Grateful Dead cover band from the past.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
FoolofaTook

Red face

myosis is a man?

Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
jparker800
Pledge

I think this tour is a test of sorts. Billy said himself about the tour that this was an effort to earn back the trust of the fans by playing the classics, before they go off and record new material, or do a tour based on new material.

Basically, this is a reintroduction/relaunch of the brand in Billy's mind. Whether it's successful and/or James and Jimmy agree to stick around, who knows.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

I cant see it. Because this tour is the biggest draw they could have, and they cant sell it out, add more dates, or derive a huge amount of interest. A new album, with all 3 original members, even if its a big hit (which probably wont be the case), will not garner an arena or stadium tour. So they will go to doing 1500-2000 seat venues, max. And would that be financially worth it for James, or Jimmy? Riding the tour bus, living on the road for months, etc. Plus, in an environment like that, tensions will be high, and another fallout is more than guaranteed.

With Jimmy and James coming back, they didn't have jam sessions either, they got to together and started work on some leftover songs. Which tells me that creative energy is just not there. This was apparent too with MTAE, when Tommy Lee came in to do drumming. That should have sparked some creative jam sessions, and new material from those sessions between Billy and Tommy. It didn't, which tells me BIlly is creatively exhausted, searching for the fountain of youth, trying to appeal to an audience that is not his fan base, and forgoing the creative spark, and energy, which resulted in GIsh SD MCIS Adore and MI/MII. Even the Ransom soundtrack sessions, he spoke of his collaboration with Matt Walker, and how feeding off each others energy and creativity resulted in new ideas and riffs and directions to explore. Thats not happening anymore. I could see him going into the studio with them and finalizing some old Chicago songs, or other left over songs, and basically bringing them to the table, and having Jimmy and James add their touch to it, a la Solara. Jimmy and James both know they cant, or shouldn't, question or drive BIlly's writing, and I think they came in, said, 'sure Billy, that sounds nice, whatever", Belly was happy , felt like he was top dog again, and they just acted as session musicians, walking on eggshells and treading lightly not to anger the beast. So I think they will be used in more of a, "hey with your name on it we can sell more records" fashion. They will probably phone it in, sometimes literally, and theyll sell some more BC albums, which will involve minimal commitment from James and JImmy. THey'll get a check, theyll be happy, and it will help to keep Billy out of the house and out of Airplane Mode's hair. Win Win for all. Except us, the fans, because that creative spark and dont give a shit attitude that BC once had is gone. There was a time he didnt care so much, like, he would never put Farewell and Good nite on an album today. But at one time he did, and it was great.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #12
coolstorybro
Pledge

Quote:
I think he meant a Grateful Dead cover band from the past.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #13
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

i don't think i'll care one way or the other. ideally, i hope b'arcy releases high quality solo efforts. i would be cool w that, but honestly, i am so sick of him as a person i am almost at the point where i don't care at all. fairly certain i'll get there between now and then

Old 07-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #14
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I can see them hauling ass on the road once or twice a decade. Nowhere near as active as in the heyday but the occasional release'll get tossed out. Bill floated the idea of it being a project where people come and go as they please so I could see that happening.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Zero.

Even if it went so wrong that the whole band quits, zero people show up and Billy gets laughed out of the industry and outed as a bad sex person he'd be tweeting Mike Byrnes within 6 months trying another reunion. And when Mike Byrnes says no Billy will ask "well...can I be in Bearcubbin??". The guy needs it too much.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #16
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker800 View Post
I think this tour is a test of sorts. Billy said himself about the tour that this was an effort to earn back the trust of the fans by playing the classics, before they go off and record new material, or do a tour based on new material.

Basically, this is a reintroduction/relaunch of the brand in Billy's mind. Whether it's successful and/or James and Jimmy agree to stick around, who knows.
I think that's the deal. Being optimistic this tour is them making the biggest splash possible with their classic music - just getting back into the public conscious and breaking the millennial perception of the rat in the cage guy/band. Also pulling it from the multiple versions of the past 10 years to reestablish the brand/band. The tour could put some interest in the EPs and give them the clout to record and tour every 2-3 years. That's a fantastic business and retirement plan. Even more optimistic, they pursue a creative tangent -instead of commercial- and just become a strong live presence a la Pearl Jam, Ween, Phish and bands like that. It also gives room for their solo stuff - a reliable backbone of the SP thing, which allows for the less prosperous solo stuff.

Less optimistic, it's everything people on this board think it is.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #17
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
That would have been the Machina tour.

Last edited by Shallowed : 07-16-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:37 AM   #18
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Time of your life / best times on a Broadway A level / Greatest Hits tour?
We understand your enthusiasm...

Old 07-18-2018, 02:58 AM   #19
Vossamer
Oblivious Virgin

Yes, the band plans to continue touring. It's already been confirmed that the next tour will be limited to 2.0 era material only.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #20
anderton
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossamer View Post
Yes, the band plans to continue touring. It's already been confirmed that the next tour will be limited to 2.0 era material only.
oh cool, club shows!

Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #21
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

I feel like they all need this tour for money for sure and it also works to see if they can keep it going for the future. Next year could be great with the current line up playing some 4000 seaters with a more varied set list.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #22
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, I suppose Billy will never really give this up. Otherwise, he'll have nothing to do and will simply go back to writing multiple entries about himself on Urban Dictionary.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #23
solaraflame
Pledge

I don't think Billy will retire.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #24
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

After the first single flopped, I don't expect the rest of the songs to be published before the end of the tour. LiveNation doesn't want more bad publicity to influence the ticket sales.

If the rest of the tracks also gets bad reactions the Pumpkins may end as a tour project, while Corgan tries to publish his next solo project early next year. As his project of cover songs may even gain less interest as "Ogilala" he then may concentrate on releasing pre Gish-tracks.

Maybe in 2020 the "Machina" reissue finally gets released and the band starts another oldie tour celebrating the 20th anniversary of it.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #25
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaraflame View Post
I don't think Billy will retire.
Tell us more.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #26
jparker800
Pledge

https://imgur.com/a/fjffQ7S

Looks like Billy sees more SP tours in the near future

Last edited by jparker800 : 07-21-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Trying to post screenshot from iPhone... not working

Old 07-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #27
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

I don't expect Corgan soon to be able to do another tour through the States in this dimension with these ticket prices. Next would be to realise more tour dates outside America as much as possible. Beside little promo gigs the band hasn't toured outside since 2012.

https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...10&oe=5BD0C488

Old 07-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #28
whywontyoulistn
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossamer View Post
It's already been confirmed that the next tour will be limited to 2.0 era material only.
And people thought this tour was going to bomb...

Old 07-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #29
redbreegull

I cast a lot of doubt on the idea that either Billy or the other two feel "done" at this point. They look like they are having a lot of fun onstage. The ticket sales are poor, so maybe he'll learn his lesson and come to smaller venues next time, but I really don't think this is the end of SP. If anything, this is probably the beginning of a new era in which Jimmy and James can come and go from tour to tour and album to album depending on what they want to do.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #30
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah - a feel free to join project would be satisfying for me. But release new music asap