Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #121
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post

What bothers me about this song is that it doesn't really have a catchy riff that just hooks you when you listen. It's just sort of lots of chords layered on there. I couldn't tell you what the melody is after listening, just like with BB

I agree.

For about a decade now Billy has written material with multi-layered sonic landscapes with little to no personality. It's not a winning combo because any jackass can write like that and we all want Billy to be better than the jackasses. whoops.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #122
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchris View Post
I like it...not sure what some of the haters want. This is exactly where I hope the rest of Elegy goes.

As for the haters why are they on a Smashing Pumpkings forum if they haven't liked anything since 2000? As for the song talking to them, maybe they are getting too old?
Billy Corgan is a real artist, he isn't a five year old who has his drawings put on the fridge regardless what it is.

Many of us like songs since 2000, don't criticize people and call them haters because they believe strongly billy is better than what he puts out. We are not blind supporters.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #123
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I understand where they're coming from, though. The problem is this idea that "the song doesn't speak to you" well that's because Corgan is in a completely different place now than where he was as a younger dude, and now you're in a different place than Corgan is now. This is what always happens with older musicians, even when their music is still really good. I think this is a really solid song, I hear emotion in the vocals, but yeah, I know y'all don't "feel connected to it" and that's because you aren't a 16-year old hearing Disarm for the first time. You're a middle aged dude, or a thirtysomething while Corgan is a middle-40s dude who owns a tea shop.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #124
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Please explain how burnt orange black spoke to me then???? Since he is in another place?

Old 11-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #125
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
I understand where they're coming from, though. The problem is this idea that "the song doesn't speak to you" well that's because Corgan is in a completely different place now than where he was as a younger dude, and now you're in a different place than Corgan is now. This is what always happens with older musicians, even when their music is still really good. I think this is a really solid song, I hear emotion in the vocals, but yeah, I know y'all don't "feel connected to it" and that's because you aren't a 16-year old hearing Disarm for the first time. You're a middle aged dude, or a thirtysomething while Corgan is a middle-40s dude who owns a tea shop.
I listen to bowie's new music and it is so awesome! I am very connected to that.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #126
Bobbyrain
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
Well, there's your problem, you have no fucking idea of what you're talking about. Try working on your reading comprehension skills. People have given many reasons why they like or don't like the song. And if Billy writes songs on the basis of what is said on netphoria (which I highly doubt) then that's his problem.
Why so upset? calm down. I wasn't talking just about this song, it was generally about everything he has done the last years. It wasn't my point to start some war here. No he doesn't write songs based on whats written here. But I'm sure it will affect him.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #127
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
I listen to bowie's new music and it is so awesome! I am very connected to that.
I loved The Next Day, but I can't say I had an emotional connection to Bowie singing about Berlin.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #128
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Please explain to me what space you think Billy is in. You couldn't be farther from the truth about most people on here. On the contrary, I find his latest input almost infantile, certainly not befitting of an "older dude." You're problem is that you assume that people here only listen to SP (not to mention all the other assumptions you're making). If you bothered to actually pay attention you would know that wasn't the case.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #129
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I loved The Next Day, but I can't say I had an emotional connection to Bowie singing about Berlin.
I love that album, you don't have to listen to it in the way the artist wrote it to connect. The songs have meaning to me beyond the artist.

Bowie is king.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #130
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyrain View Post
Why so upset? calm down. I wasn't talking just about this song, it was generally about everything he has done the last years. It wasn't my point to start some war here. No he doesn't write songs based on whats written here. But I'm sure it will affect him.
I'm not upset, I just have a potty mouth (or fingers in this case). But your comment was ignorant and deserved some ridicule, and if you didn't intend to start a war then you should really think before posting whatever crap comes to your mind. If people take the time to offer constructive or personal critique then you should do the same. And for the last time, Billy does not scour netphoria and then go write songs. As pave pointed out, a lot of people like the song. He'll be fine, he's a big boy.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #131
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

I'd listen to a whole album that sounded like this. Fun.

The track is not very dynamic... really needs a quiet part, you know?

Old 11-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #132
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Every Pumpkins fb group is praise only, I mean why not.

But I didn't expect that I'd see the day where I have to defend that I'm allowed to say it when I don't dig a new song on NETPHORIA.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #133
s0ss
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Every Pumpkins fb group is praise only, I mean why not.

But I didn't expect that I'd see the day where I have to defend that I'm allowed to say it when I don't dig a new song on NETPHORIA.
Billy deleted the oboard - so here we have it.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #134
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
I understand where they're coming from, though. The problem is this idea that "the song doesn't speak to you" well that's because Corgan is in a completely different place now than where he was as a younger dude,

What's puzzling is that Billy, as an accomplished songwriter, should know better than to schlang together a bunch of guitars with forced bland lyrics and melody.

There is no band dynamic to this band anymore. It's just Billy on his own with a distortion pedal and it shows.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #135
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

This song sucks.

The singing is BETTER. It's not as bad as Being Bald.

But those cheesy guitar leads... Man. Awful.

And yeah, there's no song buried in here. It's bland.

Best thing since Adore are you fucking kidding me? There are a hundred songs better than this since 1998. Easily.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #136
patj825
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by patj825 View Post
Word up.
Sorry, I wasn't agreeing it sounded like the viper. I was agreeing it's great.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #137
werideatdusk
Ownz

for some time i agreed that it was pretty weird that people were still on netphoria daily who had no respect for anything Billy has done recently. now i see that it is a pretty great forum with a great sense of humor and intelligence.

i think the middle way is best. people who think everything from after 2000 is on par with the earlier stuff are on something, and people who have something to complain about for all of it are just not fans anymore, I'm sorry. I'm not about to listen to Zeitgeist on repeat, and there are plenty of hold-your-nose moments from the last few years. but there are also a good dozen tracks that really do speak to me, that do have real emotion, and that feel cut from the same cloth as the old band to a degree. that's my opinion, and if it weren't for that, i don't think i'd still be here, listening to every new track as soon as it comes out and still debating 15 year old b-sides.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #138
patj825
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb The Moon View Post
it can have zero dynamic range as long as it melts my face.
Yup. Did this one melt your face?

Old 11-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #139
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
There is no band dynamic to this band anymore. It's just Billy on his own with a distortion pedal and it shows.
this is a really good point. oceania had more of a band feel IMO... a song like quasar, hate it or not, could not be strung together with a click track and then have drums pasted in.... this is why i'd really hoped that a drummer would be more involved in DFN and could actually play a role in shaping the songs. Matt Walker, come on! He's just hanging out in chicago!

Old 11-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #140
patj825
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyrain View Post
This board confuses me. I know people have different taste and opinions of his music. But if nothing has satisfied you since 2000 maybe there is time to check some other band. Of course Billy will check this board and get confused. I don't think siamese dream would have sounded the way it does if there would have been a messagebord around at that time telling him whats shit and whats not. Obviously he does care what we think. I have been a fan since 95 and this is the first time in a couple of years that I think its sounds promising. The riff in One and all is great, rather listen to that than say for example Zero. Can some of you actually enjoy a song of any band without checking the dynamic range, if the snare is to loud? Must be boring
Right on!

Old 11-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #141
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

This reminds me of when I was a wee lass in the design school. I designed some horrid gardening newsletter that looked like something your grandma would pick up at church. My Teach told me that if I handed that in he would give me a failing grade, he said that if someone else handed that in he could accept it but he knew I could do a lot better and he wouldn't accept it from me. So I decided to make something else and push myself, I created a gardening newsletter that was black and green and had X-rayed flowers etc. My teacher thought it was weird for a gardening newsletter but said that he could tell I was pushing the envelope, he was happy and gave me an A.

Critiquing is essential to help artists to grow... if you accept everything done, you are stunting their creativity.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #142
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Really really good song, in the vein of MCIS (e.g mouths of babes / wbftt), still, it sounds modern. For example, the opening riff reminds me a lot of Silversun Pickups' Well Thought Out Twinkles, but louder and rocker,

I really like this one! Being Beige was just meh and such a let down. One and All restored my faith!

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 11-05-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #143
Rumpkin
Pledge

I prefer this to BB but in all honesty I don't think I can ever truly 'love' a pumpkins song again, I just can't get past the way Billy sings everything post-2007. It's like someone's told him 'You must make sure you clearly pronounce every single word you sing now or it's not going on the album'. But in doing this it seems to suck all the emotion out of his voice. Sure we couldn't always understand what he was singing about in Gish/SD/MCIS (without looking at the lyrics) but at least his voice fit the music and seemed to have some soul to it.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #144
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

What? We can barely understand what he sings here. It's not that clear at all.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #145
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Not sure when being inoffensive became the mark of a decent Pumpkins song (since Mike left?), but this is the least inoffensive thing they've done for a while.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #146
null123
Minion of Satan

Hell yeah

Old 11-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #147
null123
Minion of Satan

Good job billy!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #148
The machine of god
Pledge

Has anyone bothered to look at Howard Willing's discog? He's produced nothing good. I'm sure Billy is a stubborn as hell hard to work with guy but perhaps having someone who is actually talented pulling the strings (a la Vig / Flood) makes all the difference.

That said there is definitely nothing endearing about this and there really is no song to speak of but then a decent producer would coax that out of the artist (and abandon the tracks that didn't work).

Sounds a lot like a Zeitgeist outtake to me, mainly owing to the faux guitar attack and terrible harmonies. But hey, it's miles above Beige.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #149
Elphenor
Braindead

It's not bad but it sounds like a Demo. Like it's not finished.

The production is crap, there basically aren't real lyrics, and the song just repeats two half baked ideas over and over that riff pretty much straight off the Zero EP and then a simple, by the books, chorus tacked on to make it a song.

His vocals actually sound really good here though so I can dig it

Old 11-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #150
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I doubt Flood or any other producer has as much input as you think. Someone as stubborn as Billy is going to do what they want regardless. Flood helped him achieve the vision he already had at a sonic level, I doubt he had much to do with arrangements of songs and such. Billy has pretty much always been the producer.