Old 06-04-2020, 11:10 PM   #32
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

O blood types less likely to suffer severe symptoms of COVID

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...y-failure.aspx

Old 06-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #33
myosis
Minion of Satan

It looks like many countries have come to this finding, that A blood type is more susceptible.

Likely findings with some other infectious diseases too.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #34
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Emergency COVID-19 measures prevented more than 500 million infections, study finds

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/06/08...s-study-finds/

Edit: Coronavirus Infections Are On The Rise In 21 U.S. States, With Cases Spiking In California, Arizona And North Carolina

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe.../#68e3fe0d6d5e

Old 06-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #35
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ˇEl pueblo unido, jamás será vencido!

Old 06-09-2020, 12:33 PM   #36
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
Public Health Experts Say the Pandemic Is Exactly Why Protests Must Continue

https://slate.com/technology/2020/06...lth-racism.amp
I mean, gatherings are no less risky just because they are for a good cause. It seems a little odd to me that public health officials, for fear of looking like they aren't in solidarity with the fight against police-perpetrated violence and racism, are pretty much making the argument that "the social gains made by these protests outweigh the risk of virus transmission." Even though minorities are disproportionately affected by the virus, I'm not sure what available epidemiology research shows good reason to believe that the protests will be successful in preventing more of these deaths and critical illnesses than the health advice we have been given up until now would.

I do support the protests and showed up myself, but in endorsing them, I wasn't doing so in the capacity of a public-health authority giving public health advice that is supposed to be based on our best evidence. I can see the hard place health officals found themselves in where they didn't want to condemn protests against very real social issues, but also have the responsibility to disseminate straight facts about the conditions under which the virus spreads.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #37
yo soy el mejor

wicked problems

Old 06-09-2020, 07:36 PM   #38
ovary
Ownz

so the WHO says yesterday asymptomatic carriers don't actually spread it, then today they issue a "clarification" that basically says "yeah actually we just don't really know what the deal is."

Old 06-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #39
FoolofaTook

who?

Old 06-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #40
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Old 06-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #41
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I was even more confused when I heard about these recent developments because I thought that current expert opinion on why the coronavirus is so contagious was precisely that asymptomatic transmission probably plays a huge role.

You'd think it wouldn't have been so hard to contain if everybody who had it was sneezing and coughing and thus knew to stay home.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #42
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovary View Post
so the WHO says yesterday asymptomatic carriers don't actually spread it, then today they issue a "clarification" that basically says "yeah actually we just don't really know what the deal is."
If that was actually true, it'd be wonderful news. Did they not have any basis for saying it though? It seems like you think they pulled it out of their ass which would be highly unprofessional.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #43
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I mean, gatherings are no less risky just because they are for a good cause. It seems a little odd to me that public health officials, for fear of looking like they aren't in solidarity with the fight against police-perpetrated violence and racism, are pretty much making the argument that "the social gains made by these protests outweigh the risk of virus transmission." Even though minorities are disproportionately affected by the virus, I'm not sure what available epidemiology research shows good reason to believe that the protests will be successful in preventing more of these deaths and critical illnesses than the health advice we have been given up until now would.

I do support the protests and showed up myself, but in endorsing them, I wasn't doing so in the capacity of a public-health authority giving public health advice that is supposed to be based on our best evidence. I can see the hard place health officals found themselves in where they didn't want to condemn protests against very real social issues, but also have the responsibility to disseminate straight facts about the conditions under which the virus spreads.
Health officials have a responsibility to give honest information to the people, regardless of how others might interpret said information.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #44
FoolofaTook

yeah its a tough call. no one in their right mind wants to say anything negative about the protests but shit coronavirus doesn't care about justice.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #45
FoolofaTook

still at least it is a risk taken for a good cause instead of drunken dipshits having beach parties

Old 06-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #46
myosis
Minion of Satan

public health is a very complex equation of interwoven matters, and you cannot just isolate one parameter when considering general health of an entire population. it's very much a matter of what risks outweigh what benefits and vice-versa, and what outcomes do you expect not just for the next month but years to come, for the population at large.

I don't agree with Squish Squash that public health officials don't consider how people will interpret information. It very much plays into the equation because human behavior is a big driver of outcomes.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #47
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I also think it's important for public health authorities to consider how laypeople will interpret information. It's for that very reason that I find their open letter odd, as they drafted it in a way that could easily be interpreted as saying that the kinds of mass gatherings they have proscribed for months actually don't carry a risk of transmission.

Quote:
Staying at home, social distancing, and public masking are effective at minimizing the spread of COVID-19. To the extent possible, we support the application of these public health best practices during demonstrations that call attention to the pervasive lethal force of white supremacy. However, as public health advocates, we do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission. We support them as vital to the national public health and to the threatened health specifically of Black people in the United States.
There are two questions being equivocated here: whether the gatherings are risky, and whether certain social causes justify that risk. Saying "we do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission" makes it sound like the nobility of the cause somehow reduces the risk of transmission in these protests, as it wouldn't for the rednecks protesting because they wanted to get haircuts and breakfast at Denny's two weeks ago. And I think as public health authorities, they ought to use clear language so that people properly interpret the risk and don't misinterpret them as saying that the risk no longer exists.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #48
FoolofaTook

Old 06-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #49
myosis
Minion of Satan

this drug could be a blow to HCQ and remdesivir.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...5yOUf?ocid=sf2

https://www.recoverytrial.net/files/...20_v2final.pdf

Old 06-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #50
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I also think it's important for public health authorities to consider how laypeople will interpret information. It's for that very reason that I find their open letter odd, as they drafted it in a way that could easily be interpreted as saying that the kinds of mass gatherings they have proscribed for months actually don't carry a risk of transmission.

There are two questions being equivocated here: whether the gatherings are risky, and whether certain social causes justify that risk. Saying "we do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission" makes it sound like the nobility of the cause somehow reduces the risk of transmission in these protests, as it wouldn't for the rednecks protesting because they wanted to get haircuts and breakfast at Denny's two weeks ago. And I think as public health authorities, they ought to use clear language so that people properly interpret the risk and don't misinterpret them as saying that the risk no longer exists.
How is this not clear? This is one paragraph. This isn't all the info on the virus.

The rednecks didn't wear masks and intentionally flouted all protocols out of pandemic denial. Totally different and not comparable.

I think you're reading too much into this

Old 06-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #51
buzzard
Minion of Satan

If he were reading too much into this, I imagine there'd be less debate about the words and meaning of those public health figures regarding the protests.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #52
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Shit plumes spread COVID. Careful where you poo.

Quote:
The volume-of-fluid (VOF) model is used to simulate two common flushing processes (single-inlet flushing and annular flushing), and the VOF–discrete phase model (DPM) method is used to model the trajectories of aerosol particles during flushing. The simulation results are alarming in that massive upward transport of virus particles is observed, with 40%–60% of particles reaching above the toilet seat, leading to large-scale virus spread. Suggestions concerning safer toilet use and recommendations for a better toilet design are also provided
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0013318

Old 06-16-2020, 09:19 PM   #53
buzzard
Minion of Satan

"These are the people – the best, the smartest, the most brilliant anywhere, and they’ve come up with the AIDS vaccine. They’ve come up with ... various things."
— Trump, June 2020.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:19 PM   #54
buzzard
Minion of Satan

We no longer have to socially distance our veins from the needles of fellow junkies in Indiana?

Old 06-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #55
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
Shit plumes spread COVID. Careful where you poo.

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0013318
there is a documented case of a SRAS-CoV-1 spread in a condo complex through bad plumbing... but I haven't seen documented cases of SRAS-CoV-2 transmission from fecal route.

still very probable. if it occurs i feel it's especially in care homes and hospitals, where you have very sick people who shed a lot. the sound advice is still to at least close the seat cover lid before flushing.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #56
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
there is a documented case of a SRAS-CoV-1 spread in a condo complex through bad plumbing... but I haven't seen documented cases of SRAS-CoV-2 transmission from fecal route.

still very probable. if it occurs i feel it's especially in care homes and hospitals, where you have very sick people who shed a lot. the sound advice is still to at least close the seat cover lid before flushing.
Is that the case in China where one man killed half of his apartment building with his diarrhea?

Old 06-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #57
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Florida, Texas, Arizona are enjoying lots of republican freedom! But don't worry, cause in Texas hospital beds are "Abundant"

Quote:
Texas, Arizona and Florida all reported their highest daily increases in new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, even after all three states implemented and later lifted stay-at-home orders meant to stop the spread of infections.

State officials in Florida reported 2,783 new cases, in Texas, 2,622, and in Arizona, 2,392. All three states have seen social distancing regulations relaxed for weeks, and most businesses have been allowed to reopen in some capacity.

The figures come amid ongoing efforts by President Donald Trump and other Republican leaders to downplay the ongoing spread of the virus. At least 21 states have seen rates of new cases increase over the last two weeks as a majority of the country reopens.

At the same time, Trump has been pushing misleading claims that infections are only increasing because there’s more testing, going so far as to claim Monday, without evidence, that “if we stop testing right now, we’d have very few cases, if any.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/3-sta...b6d0872c635d43

Old 06-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #58
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

This is a good review on the challenges of vaccination: https://www.nature.com/articles/s415...al_socialposts
Just Google the jargon words

Old 06-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #59
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

It seems that ~100% mask usage and outdoor activity is really fucking safe https://www.twincities.com/2020/06/1...wj2Oj-mSgtHP7g

This is anecdotal, but the march I was at around June 8 had thousands of people and 99.9% mask utilization. Everyone in my immediate group has tested negative as of today

If people would just do the thing we could quickly get back to doing things

Old 06-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #60
buzzard
Minion of Satan

We fucked up and now have three active cases due to compassionate exemptions to our border closure.