Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Default What can we really expect from Billy? What can he really expect from us?

Is there any possible way Billy can refresh the Pumpkins into anything that feels like it matters? In some ways I sympathize with him. Like it just seems unfair to ask him to keep screaming lyrics after thirty years, or play the same songs with tons of energy after such a long time. But then on our side its like how can he blame us for being a little less than enthused? Its boring to just see a less good version of Cherub Rock. Maybe if he lost weight and ditched the costume it the whole thing would work better and feel more organic.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Ram27
dumb

reissuing all the cool shit he has stored away if he needs cash because of that wrestling bullshit

Old 01-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #3
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I wonder what the market for those vault releases would be

Old 01-11-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

do you really

Old 01-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #5
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I guess, would be interesting to see what the demand really was for classic material at this point. For me its just hard to believe there's really that much more to release after all of the reissues

Old 01-11-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
reissuing all the cool shit he has stored away

If our big willie could just accept, once and for all, that the muse was using him best and fully during that crucial/vital stretch from say 91-98, and give us every last fucken bit of whatever poured outta him during those dizzy whirlwind days, add a butt ton of soundboards for good measure, and i think there’d be lifetimes of happy listening for all the truest fans, and redemption for the big willie

Doesn’t even have to stop doing new songs or tours, keep that shit coming too, for whoever cares. Just make peace with the past, stop being so embarrassed about the decline, own it, face facts, and properly serve and respect your legacy big willie, c’mon! We will buy it

Old 01-11-2020, 10:55 PM   #7
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Is there any possible way Billy can refresh the Pumpkins into anything that feels like it matters? In some ways I sympathize with him. Like it just seems unfair to ask him to keep screaming lyrics after thirty years, or play the same songs with tons of energy after such a long time. But then on our side its like how can he blame us for being a little less than enthused? Its boring to just see a less good version of Cherub Rock. Maybe if he lost weight and ditched the costume it the whole thing would work better and feel more organic.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:01 AM   #8
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
It is happy to see your posting. Yes really informative points. I will tell this information again to my friend thank you?

Old 01-12-2020, 12:56 AM   #9
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Billy can expect us to be the assholes we've always been and we can expect the same from him.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
FoolofaTook

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
It is happy to see your posting. Yes really informative points. I will tell this information again to my friend thank you?
Until it’s ok to smell each other’s bottoms that would be like a nice interim step on the pathway to a righteous life

Old 01-12-2020, 11:35 PM   #11
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
If our big willie could just accept, once and for all, that the muse was using him best and fully during that crucial/vital stretch from say 91-98
91-96

Nothing from the Adore period compares to anything from the Gish-SD-MCIS years. Even the best songs from 88-90 (There It Goes, Jennifer Ever, etc.) are better than the post-Jimmy, pre-Arising! era.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:34 AM   #12
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Old 01-13-2020, 03:35 AM   #13
Shallowed
Braindead

del

Old 01-13-2020, 05:36 AM   #14
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
91-96

Nothing from the Adore period compares to anything from the Gish-SD-MCIS years. Even the best songs from 88-90 (There It Goes, Jennifer Ever, etc.) are better than the post-Jimmy, pre-Arising! era.
You gonna smoke that whole rock to yourself or can I get in on this shit?

Old 01-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #15
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy can play whatever genre of music he likes, once he sings softer FFS. That new vocal style is the worst change he's ever made. Has there ever been a big musical artist who has changed a defining feature of their overall sound so dramatically?

Old 01-13-2020, 07:15 AM   #16
FoolofaTook

Nah. Nope. Never.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #17
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
Maybe if he lost weight
Oh cool

Old 01-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #18
fuzzyroes
Banned

It could happen. He's just gotta write some good songs again. A few years back it was looking like Weezers run of relevancy was coming to an end and a few years later they're tearing up the charts once again for like their 5th resurgence https://www.billboard.com/music/weez...T/song/1163054

The question is, can Corgan manage to write a great song like that. Hard to say. I figured the reunion with Jimmy and James would really motivate him and would result in a quality effort, but what we got was some of the worst music of their career.... So it's not looking good, but maybe they'll have some newfound chemistry after actually touring again.

One can only hope!

Old 01-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #19
fuzzyroes
Banned

Another tip that Bill can learn from Weezer: keep your old mugs out of the music videos! All of Weezers latest videos feature young people in the clips and is likely why they've been so popular. There's nothing worse than seeing a clip like Solara where the former rock god looks old and tired while still trying to dress edgy and trendy... That just isn't gonna resonate with the young hip music fans.

For example, this video for a song that wasn't even a hit for Weezer is pushing 20 million views on Youtube

Compare that to The Smashing Pumpkins big reunion comeback single Solara, which has 2 million... There's a reason for this...No one wants to see footage of old guys when they're watching rock music videos

Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #20
fuzzyroes
Banned

Like honestly, who is even managing Smashing Pumpkins nowadays? Can't be someone who's all that bright considering that even I can come up with better marketing strategies

Old 01-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #21
fuzzyroes
Banned

Another problem is how Billy makes the worst kind of material in his attempts at sounding modern and trendy.

Here's a newer Weezer song cued up that definitely tries to appeal to the top 40 market and low and behold, it works! Compare this to Alienation or Knights of Malta... This gap in quality is staggering

Old 01-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #22
FoolofaTook

Your dad's gap is staggering.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #23
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Oh cool
, I was hoping we could talk about Weezer again, finally

Old 01-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #24
FoolofaTook

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
low and behold
ahahahahhah

FUCK

Old 01-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #25
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
You gonna smoke that whole rock to yourself or can I get in on this shit?

must spread rep

Old 01-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #26
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

From Billy I expect
- “encouraging” solo albums that are good and would be legitimately great if they were a bit more sonically interesting/experimental/varied, where I think the next SP album might be great if it marries the quality of this songwriting with SPs sonic approach.
- “encouraging” tours where the band sounds great, seem to be enjoying themselves and make even newer disappointing songs sound great, where I think maybe the problem with [previous album] was production and wow they really seem like they care this time so maybe this time maybe they’ll get it right.
- “disappointing” SP albums

What Billy can expect from me:
- to buy it all as I’m an idiot.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #27
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I expect more memes
The sad billy on a rollercoaster was very good

Old 01-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #28
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Another problem is how Billy makes the worst kind of material in his attempts at sounding modern and trendy.

Here's a newer Weezer song cued up that definitely tries to appeal to the top 40 market and low and behold, it works! Compare this to Alienation or Knights of Malta... This gap in quality is staggering

I mean when you really get down and think about it philosophically, it is pretty perverted and disturbing to literally make yourself orgasm with your own hand

Old 01-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #29
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
, I was hoping we could talk about Weezer again, finally
It's a relevant comparison, seeing as how both bands are from the same era and both peaked at the same time

Weezer's also been the best 90's band at staying relevant with their new music, the very thing that Billy Corgan most desires. So I don't see why the Weezer comparison is so egregious to people.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #30
FoolofaTook

Last night your dad and I both peaked at the same time