Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #241
eyeboogers
Demi-God

The production on that track is very typical of Brad Wood though, the instrumentation and use of atmospheric sounds reminds me of a lot of his work (for instance on the Ben Lee record "Awake is the New Sleep"). So in Wood's defence is sounds like he did mentally show up for work at some point during that day of tracking.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #242
Ram27
dumb

Hmm. Shouldn't've fired him then, that's the best sounding track on the album

Old 01-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #243
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yeah no shit. if they had done the rest of adore in that style, with stuff like lmgtwty and waiting and czarina and once in a while... best tsp album evar!!!

Old 01-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #244
redbreegull

it's hard to compare because to sheila is the only song on the album in that vein.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #245
FoolofaTook

i dunno. i get similar vibes from once in a while, dusty, blank page, and czarina.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #246
redbreegull

maybe once upon a time. The acoustic guitar is the primary instrumental focus on to sheila which isn't really the case with any other Adore songs.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #247
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
czarina.
underrated song

Old 01-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #248
FoolofaTook

yeah 4 realz

billy's voice is gorgeous on that one. so mellow.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #249
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I fucken love czarina. Sometimes I can overcome the whirlwind of temporal desires from whence springs most of my sufferings and if I'm in that rhythm of peaceful contentedness that song is like wearing a little crown made of puro bliss n relaxation

Or something fuck

Old 01-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #250
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Brad Wood got fired after recording "To Sheila," if I remember correctly. I hate to be "that guy," but I just remember because it's a funny story. According to what he wrote in the Confessions, Billy was pouring his heart our and playing the song on guitar, and really digging the vibe. When he asked Brad Wood what he thought of the song, and if he had any input, Wood came over the speaker and said something along the lines of "that was cool." Apparently, Bjorn later told Billy that Brad Wood had not even been paying attention while Billy was playing the song, and instead was bragging to engineers about how much free gear he got from saying he was producing the new Smashing Pumpkins record.

I do not know why, but that story ranks up there with the Kim Thayil "you hurt my heart" story and the recent Billy/Bradford Cox story. I just love the idea that Billy, who was used to guys like Bitch Vig and Flood telling him all his ideas were great and working directly with Billy, freaking out when some indie/hipster producer could not have given a shit less about what, to Billy's credit, remains one of his best studio performances.
I suppose my post betrays the fact that I love Wood's work on Adore. I have no doubt that the incident Billy wrote about was a minor thing that Billy player over in his mind for months. I agree Wood was a great, and honestly inspired, choice to produce the album and I wish Billy had seen him through. I have no doubt Brad gave it his all, he probably just refused to kiss Billy's ass like every other producer he worked with. It's not surprise that, with the exception of For Martha, Wood was involved with the best tracks on the album.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #251
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I think it's funny how you guys assume that anyone that was fired by Billy was better than those ones who had no problems working with him. Like, now even Butch Vig is only a arse kisser.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:08 PM   #252
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I suppose my post betrays the fact that I love Wood's work on Adore. I have no doubt that the incident Billy wrote about was a minor thing that Billy player over in his mind for months. I agree Wood was a great, and honestly inspired, choice to produce the album and I wish Billy had seen him through. I have no doubt Brad gave it his all, he probably just refused to kiss Billy's ass like every other producer he worked with. It's not surprise that, with the exception of For Martha, Wood was involved with the best tracks on the album.
Adore is a near-perfect album to me. Maybe Wood was fired unfairly but honestly I'm glad everything turned out the way it did because I wouldn't want anything on the album done differently. I think Billy also wrote about Wood that he kept trying to pull studio trickery usually used to cover up the poor songwriting and musicianship of indie bands (his approximate words, not mine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I think it's funny how you guys assume that anyone that was fired by Billy was better than those ones who had no problems working with him. Like, now even Butch Vig is only a arse kisser.
yeah it's a tendency people have here to automatically assume baldy corgman is hitler and anyone he has ever had a problem with is in the right. His own behavior brings this on himself obviously, but ultimately these people are all fans who don't know these folks in real life at all and have no idea what they are talking about and mostly like to gossip because they feel burned by all the bad music.

/psychoanalysis. your hour is up please pay your copay

Old 01-04-2016, 01:50 AM   #253
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Sounds like you have wood for Wood.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #254
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
That was, in no way, what I was implying. I think Butch Vig and Flood were some of Corgan's best collaborators and I would love to see Billy work with either one again. In this particular case, however, Billy specifically called out Wood for not working with him the way Vig or Flood did. Obviously, Billy had every right to can Brad Wood if he wanted to. It was Billy's band and he was in charge of making the album. I happen to think that, in this case, firing Wood was a misstep. Billy was making an album largely outside his comfort zone, with a band that was falling apart, while his personal life seemed to be going through some tough times. I think Wood not working the way Corgan expected may have been a "straw that broke the camel's back" type of thing. In the Confessions, Corgan candidly says letting Matt Walker leave the band was a mistake that occurred solely because he expected Matt to fill the same role Jimmy did. I think the situation with Wood was similar. Corgan fired him because he did not fulfill the same role Butch Vig or Flood did.

I remember Corgan's statement that Wood used production to cover bad songwriting, but this is a typical Billy statement. It sounds legitimate at a glance, but what the hell does that really mean. It seems like a lame excuse to essentially say, "I did not like how the producer worked so I chose to take over the album myself."

As for Adore as a whole, I think the opening and closing segments of the album sound fantastic and represent some of Billy's best songwriting. It's the middle chunk that usually has me running for the skip button, and those are songs largely helmed by Corgan himself.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #255
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Matt left the band cause it wasn't working out. He said in a interview that Billy was lost and didn't know where to go with the album. He decided to not go with them back to Chicago.

About Wood, Billy also mentioned that he was not giving any inputs to the process of recording, that was not what he was looking for. He was looking for someone with ideas, criticism... in other words, not an arse kisser.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #256
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
I fucken love czarina. Sometimes I can overcome the whirlwind of temporal desires from whence springs most of my sufferings and if I'm in that rhythm of peaceful contentedness that song is like wearing a little crown made of puro bliss n relaxation

Or something fuck
that's some beautiful shit right there bro

Old 01-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #257
FoolofaTook

adore is flawed. they should have done two albums, a mellow acoustic folksy one, and cyber metal one with jimmy rockin like a metal god on songs like cash car star, saturnine, and, of course, the utterly visceral BECAZ U RRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Old 01-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #258
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Matt left the band cause it wasn't working out. He said in a interview that Billy was lost and didn't know where to go with the album. He decided to not go with them back to Chicago.

About Wood, Billy also mentioned that he was not giving any inputs to the process of recording, that was not what he was looking for. He was looking for someone with ideas, criticism... in other words, not an arse kisser.
That was Matt's public comment at the time, but Billy goes into more detail about it.

Quote:
…right away, I zero in on Matt…I want him to be “Jimmy”, and lift this song higher…he is capable of doing this on his own (in his own way), but unfortunately I want him to be Jimmy, to play just how Jimmy would play…this creates an impossible dynamic…without realizing it before, or admitting it openly (even to myself), I want Jimmy to come back…but I have stubbornly backed myself into a corner…when we (the band) fired Jimmy, just days after the fateful overdose that left him facing prosecution (and Jonathon dead), we had talked amongst ourselves that it would only be a temporary thing…I said “let him sit and clean himself up for 6 months, and then he can come back”…James and D’arcy both agreed this was the best idea…the plan was never, ever to fire him FOREVER…the honest reason we had taken such a hard stand publicly is we wanted and needed Jimmy to believe that there was no coming back…this way (we figured) he wouldn’t just stall for time, or tell us what we wanted to hear like all the times before (hence the dramatic interviews and quotes of “never, never, ever”-essentially we lied to the whole world!)…we figured that he would clean himself up (rehab, therapy), call us up to apologize, ask to come back, and then the door would swing open and we would be there with open arms… but sadly that didn’t happen…as we toured without Jimmy to finish the remaining Mellon Collie dates, our own bitterness set in (as did his for being abandoned), and of course, he never called (looking now, why would he?)…he did, unknown to me for the most part, stay in touch with Gooch the whole time…if I had once found the courage to tell him the “truth/lie” of his firing, (which was more like a suspension) this all could have been averted, and he would have been sitting in front of me listening to me blab on about the arrangement of this song, etc…I missed him badly now, and needed his guidance to make this record, but couldn’t bring my pride around to admit that the situation could have been handled a lot better by us (not to mention letting him know that from my heart, he was forgiven)…Matt had done a very admirable job filling in, and now, out of nowhere, I was turning on him for a situation he had no part of (we had even gone so far as to ask him to be a part of the band, figuring at this point Jimmy really wasn’t coming back)…everything that Matt did was suddenly “wrong” in my eyes, and like someone who wants to break up with somebody but doesn’t have the courage to just say ‘I’m done’, I made the situation so miserable for him and me that it became a certain inevitability that he would go…he truly did his best, but I had already made up my heart…and so, within just a few days, maybe a week of starting in L.A., Matt was on a plane back to Chicago…

Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #259
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

wtf?!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #260
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Can you imagine the shit he put Mike Byrne through if he treated Matt Walker like that, who's a seasoned pro?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #261
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
adore is flawed. they should have done two albums, a mellow acoustic folksy one, and cyber metal one with jimmy rockin like a metal god on songs like cash car star, saturnine, and, of course, the utterly visceral BECAZ U RRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
that would basically destroy all that is subtle, dynamic, and fluid about Adore. You would have one solid but very downbeat quiet album, and a loud album with like 2 truly good songs and a lot of filler.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:36 AM   #262
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

yeah i agree.

people seem to like the idea of a record that has a bit of everything. while i love the sprawling kind of aesthetic too, i really like when an album goes in one particular direction, and does so unapologetically. i love how adore totally stands out in the SP catalogue. it's so downbeat and dark

Old 01-06-2016, 01:41 AM   #263
T&T
Socialphobic

in contrast to adore, we finally got the 80min album split onto two disks with M2E & D4N.

the lead single off D4N is already a hit. Baby AJ and Roustabout are the best things about 2016 so far!

Old 01-07-2016, 01:15 AM   #264
iPumpkin
Ownz

Is it true that SP is going to open for GnR?

Old 01-07-2016, 03:03 AM   #265
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post

Or something fuck
Glorious!
For me, Shame, Behold the Night Mare and For martha pretty much get me there in any event. Adore is Corgan at his least egoic. Which is why it continues to age well.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:04 AM   #266
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
yeah i agree.

people seem to like the idea of a record that has a bit of everything. while i love the sprawling kind of aesthetic too, i really like when an album goes in one particular direction, and does so unapologetically. i love how adore totally stands out in the SP catalogue. it's so downbeat and dark
No offense, but Monuments to an Elegy is certainly a particular direction - circa 1980 new wave/synth pop. and it didnt get a lot of admirers, lets face it.

Oceania was sprawling considering it was recorded in the basement of a mcMansion in Highland park, illinois.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:44 AM   #267
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by werideatdusk View Post
mcMansion in Highland park, illinois.
Billy doesn't live in a McMansion.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:50 AM   #268
Cool As Ice Cream

what's that? a fancy mcdonalds?

Old 01-07-2016, 04:27 AM   #269
werideatdusk
Ownz

pictures or idkkkkkkk

Old 01-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #270
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I'd love to hear Jeff writing more for the Pumpkins. This jam sounds amazing...