Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2002, 05:19 PM   #31
SPheart9

i've heard some stuff from "underweb effect" and i have a feeling they're going to be the show stealers this year.

it was pretty good http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/wink.gif

Old 07-02-2002, 06:17 PM   #32
Slurpee

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmack:
They may have sucked as a live band, but until you have the balls to form a band, play a single show and then fly to another country to play your second show, you should keep your mouth shut.
That's such a lame argument. "You can't criticize music unless you make it!" That's so ridiculous. I mean, apply it to other things:

"You can't say this car's handling sucks until you build your own!"
"You can't say this movie sucks until you make your own!"
"You can't say the pizza at this joint is terrible until you learn to flip pies yourself!"

Some things are inherently bad, and to say you can't talk about something's aesthetic value without doing that thing yourself is wrong... I mean, using your logic, how do you know it's good music without trying it yourself? Maybe it would be terribly easy to make better music. And apparently, according to you, if I'm tone deaf and can't write songs, well then I can't like or dislike any music at all!

I know what "enjoyment" and "happiness" feel like, and god dammit, that means I can tell you whether I enjoy certain music or whether a movie makes me happy.

Your argument frustrates me, especially coming from someone who usually makes intelligent posts.

Old 07-05-2002, 03:22 PM   #33
lily1only

Quote:
Originally posted by Eulogy:
That other guy with the whiny voice was pretty good too...whatever his name was.
the french guy! if billy had a french accent, he would've sounded just like the guy.

Old 07-05-2002, 05:46 PM   #34
DoctaSoma

Quote:
Originally posted by Slurpee:
That's such a lame argument. "You can't criticize music unless you make it!" That's so ridiculous. I mean, apply it to other things:

"You can't say this car's handling sucks until you build your own!"
"You can't say this movie sucks until you make your own!"
"You can't say the pizza at this joint is terrible until you learn to flip pies yourself!"

Some things are inherently bad, and to say you can't talk about something's aesthetic value without doing that thing yourself is wrong... I mean, using your logic, how do you know it's good music without trying it yourself? Maybe it would be terribly easy to make better music. And apparently, according to you, if I'm tone deaf and can't write songs, well then I can't like or dislike any music at all!

I know what "enjoyment" and "happiness" feel like, and god dammit, that means I can tell you whether I enjoy certain music or whether a movie makes me happy.

Your argument frustrates me, especially coming from someone who usually makes intelligent posts.
I thought his argument was ridiculous, but didn't bother responding as I thought it could be a troll.

-Ben

Old 07-05-2002, 06:24 PM   #35
Pmack

Quote:
Originally posted by Slurpee:
That's such a lame argument. "You can't criticize music unless you make it!" That's so ridiculous.
I'd like to argue this, but...

Well, no, I really don't want to argue it, because I don't care that much, but as a halfhearted attempt at explanation:

Does Ketamine suck because they are bad at what they do, or did they maybe suck because a) it was only their second show and b) IT WAS PLAYED IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY IN FRONT OF TOTAL STRANGERS.

The people in this thread criticizing Ketamine's performance cannot understand the pressure put upon Ketamine unless they have done the same thing. Taking your newly minted band to another country and playing a set in front of a different culture is an enormously ballsy and stressful move, and any determination of their 'suck factor' should allow for an understanding of that stress in determining how bad they may or may not 'suck'.

All of this 'discussion' ignores a more pertinent piece of information that Supersonic brought up but has been otherwise ignored: Bjorn Thorsrud heard something in them that made him approach Ketamine. I'd say since Bjorn is not an idiot 15-year old on the internet and actually works with real musicians as a full-time job, he may know something the rest of these schlubs don't.

- Dave

Old 07-05-2002, 09:31 PM   #36
Irrelevant

if they have one next year, i'm going to find a drummer and put in some demos!

who wants to hear Over You and STP? http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Old 07-05-2002, 11:54 PM   #37
Reyngel

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmack:
I'd like to argue this, but...

Well, no, I really don't want to argue it, because I don't care that much, but as a halfhearted attempt at explanation:

Does Ketamine suck because they are bad at what they do, or did they maybe suck because a) it was only their second show and b) IT WAS PLAYED IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY IN FRONT OF TOTAL STRANGERS.

The people in this thread criticizing Ketamine's performance cannot understand the pressure put upon Ketamine unless they have done the same thing. Taking your newly minted band to another country and playing a set in front of a different culture is an enormously ballsy and stressful move, and any determination of their 'suck factor' should allow for an understanding of that stress in determining how bad they may or may not 'suck'.

All of this 'discussion' ignores a more pertinent piece of information that Supersonic brought up but has been otherwise ignored: Bjorn Thorsrud heard something in them that made him approach Ketamine. I'd say since Bjorn is not an idiot 15-year old on the internet and actually works with real musicians as a full-time job, he may know something the rest of these schlubs don't.

- Dave
What the fuck, that's so stupid. If we're not supposed to judge their music by the mp3s we've heard, then how the hell are we? Again, in the direction that Slurpee was going, now you are being way too relative. I mean by your logic, you could say:

"You can't have an opinion about Siamese Dream because they were under a lot of pressure and the way they sounded was reflected from that, and unless you've been in a situation like that, then shut up."

I don't know if you know this, but people judge music by listening to it. And we listened to Ketamine. And we have opinions. So the fuck what if they happened to be brand new? That doesn't mean that we have to like it. Artists, especially these days, have basically one shot to be big, and it's all about making a good first impression. You don't just see record companies going like, "Well you sound like shit, but we'll sign you cause maybe later on you'll be good."

Old 07-06-2002, 02:15 AM   #38
Pmack

Quote:
Originally posted by Reyngel:
What the fuck, that's so stupid. If we're not supposed to judge their music by the mp3s we've heard, then how the hell are we?
Hello there! I'm talking about the people in this thread who judged them based on their performance at Act IV. I know 'reading comprehension' is an alien concept on the internet, but you may want to look into it. You may find it useful.

Thanks for playing.

- Dave

Old 07-06-2002, 03:13 AM   #39
The Omega Concern

Quote:
You don't just see record companies going like, "Well you sound like shit, but we'll sign you cause maybe later on you'll be good."
that's because, in part, their reacting to the ADD culture of short attention spans. And its too bad to because bands like Pink Floyd and Rush were allowed to develop for a few albums and those days are gone.

So do we blame fans the like the ones who slag Ketamine in this thread, or the labels catering to the ADD freaks and not pushing for something better musically?

Old 07-06-2002, 04:44 AM   #40
i.m.1.as.u.r.3

Omega, it is possible for a band to just plain suck, ya know................ even if they are playin pumpkins

Old 07-06-2002, 05:58 AM   #41
BeautifulLoser

Thumbs up

Aah... Good Ol' Netphoria

------------------
Originally posted by Irrelevant:
EAT A BAG OF FUCK, HOMOLOVER.
http://www.animartgallery.com/images...ngry%20cel.jpg