Virgo

i would play a pass-the-hat tent revival but idk about a new age mega-church

Old 06-26-2016, 11:13 PM   #93
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
its like the fake interview we all wish we could get itt
you're essentially being a huge jackoff disrupting a discussion that was otherwise interesting for others, just because you wanted to introduce an idea you seemingly perceived as innovative, although i had already iterated it literally in the first post of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
besides, it would give us all a chance to feel important, like we're being interviewed for VH1 Behind the Albums or something, amirite? :
that doesn't mean you're wrong (although you are - just because someone is unknown doesn't mean they need to be "couch noodlers". nick drake died literally anonymous. was he a fucking couch noodler?), but the purpose of this thread was just to see how other people approach their creative process and perhaps even draw something from that, get a new idea, embrace a new mindset.

like what is even your point here except for just shitting on everybody un-famous for daring to like to play an instrument and write music

Old 06-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #94
slunken
Virgo

lol, welcome to the conversation that's evolved

Old 06-26-2016, 11:16 PM   #95
slunken
Virgo

itt i coined "couch noodler"

Old 06-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #96
slunken
Virgo

i want that as my epitaph

Old 06-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #97
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Because I'd rather listen to a thousand shit bandcamp solo guitarists than one professional guitarist
oh wow so punk

Quote:
I'm only asking these questions because i'm getting requests to play "faith and worship" music in local churches, which tbh is right up my alley of playing style
I would give it a go - are you playing guitar there? All performance and practice is good for musicians. In the church music circles I move in, most are there predominantly for the music, and not for the faith. You're probably likely to see them looking at Facebook on their phones during the sermon. It'll probably be fun.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:18 PM   #98
slunken
Virgo

or should i finally make that my location?

Old 06-26-2016, 11:19 PM   #99
Elphenor
Braindead

I play for about 4 hours a day at this point and I've only ever learned that I know nothing about guitar but that also you don't necessarily have to know anything to make music someone somewhere in the world will put on their Ipod

I have quite a few anonymous couch noodle jams from losers across the world on my Ipod right now

I have exactly no church choirs

Old 06-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #100
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

have you ever read music literature and been kinda creeped out to see the word "fingering"

Old 06-26-2016, 11:21 PM   #101
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
I play for about 4 hours a day at this point and I've only ever learned that I know nothing about guitar but that also you don't necessarily have to know anything to make music someone somewhere in the world will put on their Ipod

I have quite a few anonymous couch noodle jams from losers across the world on my Ipod right now

I have exactly no church choirs
well I'll be sure to pass that along to my choir friends, and I'm sure it will be food for thought, for all of us. Thank you for your comments.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:21 PM   #102
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
have you ever read music literature and been kinda creeped out to see the word "fingering"
if by creeped out you mean turned on

Old 06-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #103
Elphenor
Braindead

Punk Rock- 1

Church choirs - 0

Old 06-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #104
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

my sister and her fiancé are professional musicians. she also is a music therapist and university professor. but he makes his living completely playing gigs, selling albums and doing studio work for other artists (playing/arranging). he's a jazz trombonist. his playing is godlike and if you can't respect professionals who excel at their craft and also realize some people don't need to be technically proficient to be excellent at playing soulful and inspiring music, and that both have strengths and weaknesses, i don't know what to tell you. except that my sister's fiancé gets to make his living playing music and many of us would want to do that if we could

Old 06-26-2016, 11:29 PM   #105
Elphenor
Braindead

I respect a profesional musician in the way I respect a professional juggler

It's purely a "well I couldn't do that" type of thing

I'm just being honest now even if it makes me a pleb

Old 06-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #106
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
my sister and her fiancé are professional musicians. she also is a music therapist and university professor. but he makes his living completely playing gigs, selling albums and doing studio work for other artists (playing/arranging). he's a jazz trombonist. his playing is godlike and if you can't respect professionals who excel at their craft and also realize some people don't need to be technically proficient to be excellent at playing soulful and inspiring music, and that both have strengths and weaknesses, i don't know what to tell you. except that my sister's fiancé gets to make his living playing music and many of us would want to do that if we could
reprise you need to not personalize this

Old 06-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #107
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I respect a profesional musician in the way I respect a professional juggler

It's purely a "well I couldn't do that" type of thing

I'm just being honest now even if it makes me a pleb
this kind of takes the piss out of your mark e smith being a working class musician idea doesn't it?

let me announce this once and for all - people with microphones are assholes

Old 06-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #108
Elphenor
Braindead

yeah but Mark E Smith isn't a musician and hates musicians according to everything he's ever written

He's a professional artist of some description

edit: I mean ofc he Is a musician by definition but you know what I'm saying

It's his job to create art I don't think the medium even matters

Old 06-26-2016, 11:37 PM   #109
slunken
Virgo

my songwriting process:

1: lay head and arms down on keys until cacophony becomes rythmic
2: crouch and moan into a microphone with lots of reverb and delay
3: make a loop of the above
4: pass out drunk
5: months later play back tapes and cry.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:38 PM   #110
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

slunken can't seem to disembark from the troll train tonight, but seriously none of you should feel compelled or guilted to say things like "I know I'm a shitty musician" in the face of stupid criticism like this. it's just elitist garbage. it doesn't matter if you play just by yourself in your room and only use 3 chords and can't sing. If it brings you pleasure, fuck everything else it literally doesn't matter. There is such a thing as delusions of grandeur, and not one person in this thread has demonstrated anything even remotely close to a truly deluded sense of self. No one here is advertising themselves as a great musician or a king songwriter. The only thing happening here is a bunch of people who like to play and write music are getting together and talking about it as a shared interest and there's one asshole just being a flagrant dick for no reason other than he feels the need to instill a sense of order about what is GOOD.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:39 PM   #111
Elphenor
Braindead

Old 06-26-2016, 11:39 PM   #112
redbreegull

IM JUST BRINGING YOU ALL BACK DOWN TO EARTH WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITHOUT PEOPLE LIKE ME

Old 06-26-2016, 11:41 PM   #113
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
There is such a thing as delusions of grandeur, and not one person in this thread has demonstrated anything even remotely close to a truly deluded sense of self.
Delusions is the core of this thread according to the OP

and yes, this thread was entirely delusional armchair quarterback bullshit.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:41 PM   #114
redbreegull

his attitude does basically nothing but discourages people from wanting to put themselves out there and share with others for fear of being judged. it instills a terror of making mistakes or not coming off as pleasing enough to others, which means you will never get better.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:43 PM   #115
slunken
Virgo

troll train sounds cool

is that like a trip train?

Old 06-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #116
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
reprise you need to not personalize this
i'm not really, i just find it very inexplicable to not want to listen to a professional musician simply because they have enough talent and have put enough effort into making it their career. it's honestly flabbergasting. isn't it the actual music they create that's important?

Old 06-26-2016, 11:45 PM   #117
Elphenor
Braindead

I think it's like reprise told me "just shut up and play your guitar, dork"

Old 06-26-2016, 11:47 PM   #118
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
i'm not really, i just find it very inexplicable to not want to listen to a professional musician simply because they have enough talent and have put enough effort into making it their career. it's honestly flabbergasting. isn't it the actual music they create that's important?
I don't think it's any more or less flabbergasting than a professional musician not being interested in Minor Threat

Old 06-26-2016, 11:49 PM   #119
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
i've recently been turned onto music made my non-professional musicians or "real people music" as some call it

tbh i think this might do a lot of people some good - to just let fucking go of the hero worship associated with dudes with guitars and recording contracts

its a real fine line between diy but for the most part, "real people music" existed way before diy technology existed. so these were people that sold their homes for a chance to press up an album. also not to be confused with vanity press. its like yes i have a job but i also enjoy music but it is not my main goal in life.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:52 PM   #120
Elphenor
Braindead

I mean guitar playing became boring precisely because people started treating it like it was a classical instrument within rock music, like you had to have this much chops to be legit, and not just the easiest thing to play that a young weirdo could get a hold of