Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Bread Regal
Banned

Default Car stuff

My 2007 Nissan Versa is completely not drivable at the moment. The engine works beautifully, starts right up. Never has any problems with the thing mechanically.

The body looks like shit. I was at fault in an accident last year and wasn't carrying collision insurance. The hood crumpled up a bit and the front bumper was hanging off until I decided to take it off because I was sick of putting it back on. I had no cash whatsoever to put towards a repair, and my credit is shit so a payment plan with a body shop was out of the question. I took a rubber mallet to the hood until it latched down again and things were fine until a month ago.

I was driving on the highway and the hood caught the wind and smashed my windshield. I'm so fucking sick of looking at the thing. It's sitting in the parking lot of our apartment complex with a tarp over the windshield. It's an embarrassing eyesore and I don't know what to do with it.

I am proud to say I paid off the car entirely on my own, so I have an emotional attachment to it. I have had it for most of my adult life, and I only paid it off 2 years ago. But there's no way I can pay for repairs to make it street legal again any time soon, and I would almost prefer the money.

I've resigned to the fact that I need to sell it, even for a shitty price. But how shitty? The interior is ok. Nothing is torn, but it kind of looks like garbage. The body is (obviously) terrible. There isn't an exterior panel without some kind of cosmetic or structural flaw. The engine is great though. She doesn't leak oil, starts every time. Literally not a single mechanical problem since I bought it.

What price should I ask, as a starting point for negotiation?

Old 09-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
coldestrose
Demi-God

You could bluebook it to get the value of the car in good condition, then subtract the cost of repairs and start there. But from what you've said I don't know if you'd be able to get more than $1000 or $1500 for it.

How many miles are on the engine? If the body is shit you might just be better of selling it for parts

Old 09-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Bread Regal
Banned

sell for parts. you mean like piece it out? i have no time or motivation for that shit.

the engine has about 80k on it.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Does it have any rain damage on the interior or anything?

Old 09-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Skradgee
Boardcaster

But did you get head (in that car)?

Old 09-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm not getting a car till they're driverless.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post

What price should I ask, as a starting point for negotiation?
it bluebooks for around 5 grand still. but it depends on how "rough" the body is. if it could be considered "totaled" or "wrecked" yr looking at $1000 give or take i bet.

kicks tires.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
slunken
Virgo

does it just need a hood and windshield?

Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I'd pay $3,500 for that and it'd be a fucking steal. Even if the interior's trashed. A running car that's got less than 20 years under its belt, namely a Japanese one, is always going to be worth a few grand. Some guy's going to buy it, fix the body crap on his own in his shop, and it'll be his kid's car before college.

Do you have pics of it?

Old 09-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
slunken
Virgo

/spits