Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2019, 05:36 AM   #61
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Maybe it's because you don't have kids or (afaik) aren't married or in a long-term relationship.
(ydk)

Old 07-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #62
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Arrow

At first I thought I sharted, but then it turned out that I hadn't.

Intrigued? Find out more here: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187424

P.S. Comes with a finger-blasted Duovamp!

Old 07-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #63
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella View Post
I’m pretty sure I’ve read that Appen is just slightly better than Lionbridge. I think it pays just a little bit more (I was getting 13.75/hr) and you get more hours. I had to work a minimum of 10 hrs and up to 20 per week, most weeks though they would send out an email saying that we were allowed to work up to 24 bc of the task availability. I know exactly what you mean about doing other stuff while working lol I did the same thing... most of my tasks were 9 minutes, but it would usually only take me 3 mins or less so for the remaining 6 mins or whatever I would run around getting stuff down around the house, cleaning etc. lol

I’m thinking once my youngest is around 8-9 months I’ll start looking into working online again. I’ll prob apply back at lionbridge, Appen and isoftstone and whoever gets back to me quickest is where I’ll go! When I did mturk it seemed like I was only making pennies.
I don't get paid that much, but they have different standards for different states based on minimum wage (I think?), but I don't know where you are. I feel like I have to do other work to make it reasonable, because it isn't. I have an NDA so I don't want to say what I make, but it's enough to make it definitely not enough. To be clear it's a good amount more than minimum wage but increasing it to your pay would boost it significantly.

I'm good at mTurk. I usually make $200-$250 per week, sometimes much more, but I could probably make $500 without an issue at this point if I didn't have other work going on. As it is it's usually on the back burner as I do Appen until something really great pops up (which it usually does at least once a day for an hour or two, but not always). Basically you can tell how mTurk is based on how much Appen I work. The last two weeks have been really good and I've only done the min at Appen. I also have two extra monitors and some other stuff to make my workflow better. It's working out pretty well I've cultivated relationships with some requesters so I get some good closed projects.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #64
ella
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I don't get paid that much, but they have different standards for different states based on minimum wage (I think?), but I don't know where you are. I feel like I have to do other work to make it reasonable, because it isn't. I have an NDA so I don't want to say what I make, but it's enough to make it definitely not enough. To be clear it's a good amount more than minimum wage but increasing it to your pay would boost it significantly.

I'm good at mTurk. I usually make $200-$250 per week, sometimes much more, but I could probably make $500 without an issue at this point if I didn't have other work going on. As it is it's usually on the back burner as I do Appen until something really great pops up (which it usually does at least once a day for an hour or two, but not always). Basically you can tell how mTurk is based on how much Appen I work. The last two weeks have been really good and I've only done the min at Appen. I also have two extra monitors and some other stuff to make my workflow better. It's working out pretty well I've cultivated relationships with some requesters so I get some good closed projects.
That’s crazy you make that much with mturk! I remember reading that if you stay with it you can start making more and more bc they’ll start giving you access to more projects etc. Are you an employee at Appen or are you under w9? For the first two year with lionbridge they had all evaluators under w9s and then switched us all over as employees, that was nice bc then we started getting paid for all of our training and webinars.

Last edited by ella : 07-22-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #65
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
At first I thought I sharted, but then it turned out that I hadn't.

Intrigued? Find out more here: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187424

P.S. Comes with a finger-blasted Duovamp!
logically, we all understand the argument that you need to construct a certain type of headline in order to get attention and generate advertising revenue. the counter argument of course is that standards for quality or integrity might be more important than competing in a race to the lowest common denominator for the attention span of internet-faring humans

i mean, i guess on the one hand it's not really fair to judge the way someone makes a living. but on the other hand... took farted in the woods. that's objectively not the same thing as being sharted through by a spirit.

right?

i don't know, what do i know.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #66
FoolofaTook

pls mals

Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #67
FoolofaTook

(mals pls)

Old 07-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #68
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
(ydk)
This sould stand for "you do know" or "you don't know"

But yeah I think I do know since our girlfriends broke up with us about the same time. Maybe their periods were in sync or something.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #69
Cool As Ice Cream

lololo period

Old 07-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #70
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Old 07-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #71
yo soy el mejor

ew @ boys who think someone broke up with them because of their periods

look in the mirror, dawg. and then get a clue and quit saying sexist shit.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #72
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

My last gf dumped me because I had my boiperiod on her birthday. :[

Old 07-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #73
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
ew @ boys who think someone broke up with them because of their periods

look in the mirror, dawg. and then get a clue and quit saying sexist shit.
Yes, that is literally what I literally think is the literal and rigid truth. Yes, the reason she broke up with me is definitely because I was sexist towards her, especially with regards to her periods.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #74
Shallowed
Braindead

Actually one of the reasons she broke up with me had to do with the division of labour in the household, which is pretty implicitly sexist. I was punished by the housemate gods for it when I moved into the only place I've lived where I had the highest standard of cleanliness.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #75
FoolofaTook

Spiritual Self-Care Tips

“Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” ― Eleanor Brownn

Tips:

Imitate Jesus in making time with God a priority. "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." Mark 1:35 (Matt 14:23, Mk 6:46) Benefits: faith strengthened, focus shifted vertically, realization that God is bigger than anything you or I face.

Forgive yourself and forgive others. "Unforgiveness is like drinking poison yourself and waiting for the other person to die." Marianne Williamson "Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." Colossians 3:13

Rest. Over scheduling creates burnout, which in turn keeps us from our God-given purpose. Take the time to rest. ""Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”" Mark 6:31

Relationship/Community. From the beginning of time, God made us to be in relationship with Himself and others. We are many members, but one body. Connect with people. "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another..." Hebrews 6:24-25
Choose Joy. Joy is a choice. We choose to focus on the negative or positive. "This is the day which the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalms 118:24 NASB

Think Lovely Thoughts. What you think about matters greatly and affects your well-being. "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8

Gratitude. Try to find good in every situation and give God thanks. "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." I Thessalonians 5:16-18

Note: All scriptures are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:47 PM   #76
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella View Post
That’s crazy you make that much with mturk! I remember reading that if you stay with it you can start making more and more bc they’ll start giving you access to more projects etc. Are you an employee at Appen or are you under w9? For the first two year with lionbridge they had all evaluators under w9s and then switched us all over as employees, that was nice bc then we started getting paid for all of our training and webinars.
I'm an employee, yes. We get paid training but it's so little it's pretty laughable. They pretty much hand you a 190pg manual and throw you to the sharks.

mTurk, at least now, relies a lot on metrics (number of HITs done, acceptance %, etc) but also custom qualifications. Some of it is right place+right time, but people will post qualification HITs and give people they like access to more of them to do. I have some of these, none of them are amazing (high pay + post often), but there's enough there to make mTurk viable for sure. In fact I have an open invitation to get an unlimited amount of work (for a few months) for this one requester making about $13-14/hr but I kinda hate the work and it's very cognitively intensive and I can make that doing anything else, so I only committed 3-5 hours per week. That's an absolutely luxury on mTurk. But there are plenty of people who make a living on it for sure. If I didn't have a good backbone setup with Appen I definitely would do it. That's really the key, the Appen backbone. This way you're not always hustling for the next thing, at least not as desperately. I am putting him in contact with some mturk peeps I know.

Plus, even as I work on Appen, I at least have my scripts for mTurk going, so I can be in the right place at the right time more often. Gotta be around to get it. And I am part of a slack workgroup that helps each other. I've even done some very light scripting as well. Learning more. Turn bullshit work into viable money making by automating mouse clicks and such. Which is totally allowed as long as the script isn't actually doing the work for you (obviously).

Old 07-23-2019, 05:29 AM   #77
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

This online work sounds great and I wish I had discovered it before paying more money for yet more study, only to figure out that I’m too old for anyone to hire in an entry level position. Not sure if I could even do this stuff from NZ.

It really sounds great reprise and you sound like you’re doing really well. In my deep well of stagnant disappointment it is actually very comforting to know that things are picking up for you. Maybe the world can be a good place after all

Old 07-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #78
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Thanks, vix. I'm glad too. Wish I was working in my field but working from home is a good second prize. It's a dead end, though, and I'm still not making what I should be for someone with a degree. But I can pay to live alone and take care of my basics, which is awesome.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #79
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Quote:
"Unforgiveness is like drinking poison yourself and waiting for the other person to die." Marianne Williamson
I think this may have more legs than last election's "Pokemon Go to the polls"

Old 07-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #80
ella
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I'm an employee, yes. We get paid training but it's so little it's pretty laughable. They pretty much hand you a 190pg manual and throw you to the sharks.

mTurk, at least now, relies a lot on metrics (number of HITs done, acceptance %, etc) but also custom qualifications. Some of it is right place+right time, but people will post qualification HITs and give people they like access to more of them to do. I have some of these, none of them are amazing (high pay + post often), but there's enough there to make mTurk viable for sure. In fact I have an open invitation to get an unlimited amount of work (for a few months) for this one requester making about $13-14/hr but I kinda hate the work and it's very cognitively intensive and I can make that doing anything else, so I only committed 3-5 hours per week. That's an absolutely luxury on mTurk. But there are plenty of people who make a living on it for sure. If I didn't have a good backbone setup with Appen I definitely would do it. That's really the key, the Appen backbone. This way you're not always hustling for the next thing, at least not as desperately. I am putting him in contact with some mturk peeps I know.

Plus, even as I work on Appen, I at least have my scripts for mTurk going, so I can be in the right place at the right time more often. Gotta be around to get it. And I am part of a slack workgroup that helps each other. I've even done some very light scripting as well. Learning more. Turn bullshit work into viable money making by automating mouse clicks and such. Which is totally allowed as long as the script isn't actually doing the work for you (obviously).
Mturk sounds so much better than I ever thought it could be. I mighty try it again, I could make a little side money until my baby is older! It’s so crazy that I couldn’t even get my 10 hrs a week at lionbridge...but I seriously couldn’t do it. I really didn’t want to resign! Now that he’s 5 months I’m just now finding some time for myself again where I could probably work about 10 hrs/wk.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #81
ella
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
This online work sounds great and I wish I had discovered it before paying more money for yet more study, only to figure out that I’m too old for anyone to hire in an entry level position. Not sure if I could even do this stuff from NZ.

It really sounds great reprise and you sound like you’re doing really well. In my deep well of stagnant disappointment it is actually very comforting to know that things are picking up for you. Maybe the world can be a good place after all
I know Lionbridge has positions available all over. If you want any information or help on applying to them just ask me. Hope you’re doing good! How old are your little ones now?! I remember chatting with you a lot on the old netphoria parenting thread. We should bring that thread back from the dead!

Old 07-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #82
FoolofaTook

Could you please tell us a little more about Lionbridge? I am trying to get into working online a bit right now and hopefully more later this year (Reprise has been helping me a lot).

Just the basics of how you got into it and what to do to succeed. Thank you.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:49 PM   #83
ella
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Could you please tell us a little more about Lionbridge? I am trying to get into working online a bit right now and hopefully more later this year (Reprise has been helping me a lot).

Just the basics of how you got into it and what to do to succeed. Thank you.
Well it’s basically what reprise described earlier. Lionbridge is one of the crowdsourcing companies that’s contracted through google, there are a few others, Appen Butler Hill, Zerochaos (don’t know if they’re still around) and isoftstone. Lionbridge has a lot of different positions, search engine evaluator (my old job), social media assessor, ad accessor, translation jobs too. So I only really know about the search engine evaluator position. First off (and this is from memory, which I applied for the job back in 2013, so I could be wrong on a few things) after you apply and are emailed back they will have you take an exam, I don’t really remember exactly what this exam entails... after you pass the initial exam they will give you a pdf of their guidelines. About 300 pages that you need to study study study. These guidelines are like their bible. Basically every possible website scenario that you can think of and how it should be correctly rated. They give you like a week to study and then you take a 2 part exam, open book on how to rate pages and rate a set of query results. If you pass this then you are hired. I guess the exam is tough? I passed but over the years I’ve recommended this job to about 5 family members and friends (one being my dad who I believe is pretty smart) and they all failed that second exam. So once you’re hired you have to work a minimum of 10 hours and up to 20. They will send you quality scores to let you know how good you’re doing at rating. You get paid to attend webinars on rating and have to do coursework and tutorials. Any questions? You can also blackout for up to a month if you go on vacation, get sick, etc. It really is a great job... kinda boring and repetitive but stable and easy!

Old 07-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #84
FoolofaTook

Thumbs up

Thank you for the info. That's sounds somewhat like Appen (at least the hiring process), which Reprise recommended. This is something I might do to supplement my income. Working from home is sweet.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #85
FoolofaTook

Test sounds intimidating though.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #86
ella
Minion of Satan

Yeah it’s the same thing as appen, just a different company and I think their guidelines and rating system is different. Also you have to sign an nda with lionbridge, and are prohibited from working for their competition or giving information on their guidelines, software, etc. I think Appen has the same rules.

I think as long as you really study the guidelines, know all scenarios, really just memorize the guidelines page by page then you’d pass the big exam. Just study hard!

Old 07-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #87
FoolofaTook

OK, I will study hard. And if I fail one, I can always try the other, after all.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #88
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

It's the same thing, different company. My test was three parts, open guidelines, week to do all three. Most people do fail, and I'm sure I got plenty wrong. I assume they expect you to do poorly but show that you really looked through the guidelines and got basic problems correct. All the info is in there, but they make the problems hard and you can't just keyword search them, the bastards. The second two tests are just like real assignments. Most of it is really judgement and there's a window of acceptable answers. I think if you can generally identify what is a good source of information and what is biased, that's a big part of it. There are plenty of scenarios that come up a lot that you can find "correct" answers for, but that's not really most of it.

Also my hours are minimum 15 max 26. Two weeks under per year, more you have to let them know ahead of time and they have to approve it. Quality reviews monthly.

Last edited by reprise85 : 07-23-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #89
FoolofaTook

Hmm. Sounds tough, but a whole week and open book really helps. I finish my certificate right at the start of December, and I doubt I'll have much work that month, so I'll probably do one of those tests then.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by FoolofaTook : 07-23-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: question already answered!

Old 07-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #90
ella
Minion of Satan

What’s the certificate for?