Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #541
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Thanks! Never even went to the island, gonna have to snag some of them beetle bugs

Am i supposed to boot this up everyday to talk to the animals? They all seem to hate my guts, and keep moving out w/out telling me

Like, where’s the fun or hook to this game, i feel like im not doing it right

It’s also really disappointing how huge chunks of the game seem built on the assumption i have 30 or 49 friends to play this game with, trade fruits, tour their cities, etc. Like the happy homes showcase is completely barren b/c apparently it doesn’t populate until im hooked up with other players somehow
Oh damn, the island is fun. Plus you get a song every time you make the travel, it's adorable!
And yes, you're supposed to talk to everyone, eventually they ask for favors, give you presents or ask you to give them nicknames (hehe)
The hook to me was mostly trying to complete the museum, making my home look cool (which can take a while depending on your luck with getting types of furniture that go together).
But idk, I like the whole living a simulated life thing, Stardew Valley is also one of my favorite games and it shares some of that spirit.

The happy home academy stuff gets filled out when you streetpass with people who own the game if i'm not mistaken. I played it mostly when it was new, so a walk through the mall with my 3ds was enough to get a few hehe.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #542
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Dammit, work!

Yeah

What games would u be playing if u weren’t working

Anybody feel free to talk about games you’ve played or used to play

For example anyone wanna talk about silent hill with me in here. Caught some SH references in some indies i been pumpin. Makes me wanna go back n replay 2 at least, probably 3 too
idk, some kind of shooter/rpg like fallout would be nice to start. my new computer has a much better processor and slightly better graphics card so shit should look better

Old 03-14-2019, 10:58 PM   #543
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Man i wish a fallout would port to the switch, i can never get couch time anymore, it’s handheld or nothing lately. Open worlds, shooting, rpg, these are fun things

Been bumpin some kirby Star allies on switch, it’s laughably easy but the colors are nice and bright and it’s relaxing actually and sometimes i just wanna sit back and look at colors and grin and fadeout slowly

Old 03-18-2019, 10:06 PM   #544
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Oh damn, the island is fun. Plus you get a song every time you make the travel, it's adorable!
And yes, you're supposed to talk to everyone, eventually they ask for favors, give you presents or ask you to give them nicknames (hehe)
The hook to me was mostly trying to complete the museum, making my home look cool (which can take a while depending on your luck with getting types of furniture that go together).
But idk, I like the whole living a simulated life thing, Stardew Valley is also one of my favorite games and it shares some of that spirit.

The happy home academy stuff gets filled out when you streetpass with people who own the game if i'm not mistaken. I played it mostly when it was new, so a walk through the mall with my 3ds was enough to get a few hehe.
Cool thanks for the tips

Might be a game that’s just not for me, at this point in my life, i fear

b/c at this point in my life

It often seems as tho every last of the non-furry persons in my life is already upset w/me to some degree at all times owing to my inability to provide them w/the degree of wants that they often feel they need from me

So, like

When Timbra or Koco or whomever wants to dress me down for not booting the game for a week or more, or punish me to a painful game of pull all the weeds in time, or dwell upon my routine failure to omg i didn’t even take that shirt to Vlad by the end of the day even tho i SAID i would do it, and it was Vlads omg his stupid birthday this morning and u didn’t even donate to the bridge.....

It’s like

Old 03-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #545
run2pee
Minion of Satan

For example in skyrim this draugrs not like “shit, bundtrip, u fuck, where u been it’s been ten days since u played this game i been standing here like a dumbass drooling all this luscious drool for NOTHING don’t u even care where is your heart wah wah wah!!!!”

No, that draugrs just ready to go, thank you, at all times

Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #546
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I got Alan Wake. I played it for 20 minutes. It seems cool.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 PM   #547
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Omg been interested in this game for years but don’t have any platforms it’s on

You gonna liveblog your playthru on here for us or what

Old 03-19-2019, 02:20 AM   #548
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Back into skyrim

After nearly 200 hrs, i figured out how to make the game work for me

This isn’t dark souls, or world 8 mario, i suddenly realize. There will never be an occasion where i put down the switch to brag to the nearest stranger “gosh i just beat this eldritch frost troll on Legendary!” No. This is a pure fantasyland where i do what i like when i like. And what i don’t like is losing 30 minutes of the flowers and bugs i picked just b/c a random bear guts me

So, 1st thing first, slidin that difficulty slider to easiest of the easies. Choppin gangs of bandits all at once, now. Leveling a lot faster too, cause im not avoiding battles like a coward

2nd thing first, im skippin that go talk to whiterun crap at the start. This means no random dragon spawns, making my walks in the frost under the twin moons all the more gloriful

Third thing, im amoral af. Thieving, picking fights, betraying friends, everything. Mayhem and blood, there is no code. This feels freeing and allows the player to experience that gta-like rush of omg i cant believe my characters gonna back over that officer but — yep — oops/squish he! he! he!

Fourth, i dunno man, it’s just different this time, feels like i found my deepgroove of enjoyment
I’m playing Enderal, the total conversion or mod or whatever you call it. It’s pretty damn cool for a community mod.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:25 AM   #549
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
You've just reminded me of my absolute favorite thing to play on the Amstrad CPC 464.

How was this ever a thing! ADE Edmondson will be rolling in his metaphorical grave.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:09 AM   #550
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I figure he must have signed off on it, eh.

The protagonist was known as Ade the Bastard, after all.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #551
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Omg been interested in this game for years but don’t have any platforms it’s on

You gonna liveblog your playthru on here for us or what
OK well this is definitely more of a telling-a-story game then anything else. I have it on normal difficulty and it's fairly easy, there was one point I had problems with but it was off the path, nothing I really had to do. It's definitely creepy and unique and I like it so far, but at the same time I kinda feel like I'm not even really doing anything. I'm used to creating characters and shit, or at least customizing them a lot.

The combat is different for sure, but it's pretty simple so far. But if you run out of bullets you are apparently fucked and will have to start the episode/level over.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:22 AM   #552
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Has anybody played Pathologic 2 by chance?

For whatever reason my colleague keeps urging me to play it, I'm not sure why as I'm not a gamer (I play Stardew Valley for half an hour once a month to arrange plants for an ultimate designer garden, that's about it.)

Old 08-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #553
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I am so damn addicted to Shadow of Mordor right now.

Even though it has few gameplay pillars aside from massacring Orcs, the "Nemesis System" makes it endless fun, because it's always creating the craziest emergent non-scripted gameplay scenarios.

Even though the combat is ripped straight from the Arkham games, the different enemy types and the different weaknesses/resistances of captains and warchiefs makes it so you have to strategize more and always be on your toes. Such a slight change makes a big difference. Plus, I think the counter windows are a lot shorter than they are in Batman, so I find it a lot more difficult.

The stealth is fun, but the Orc AI is pretty damn dumb, so stealth in this game is much easier than in the Arkham games. In Arkham, the enemy thugs will detect you if you cross their line of sight almost instantly (there is a small window of grace, but it's so short it's almost non-existent). In this game, you can run around in front of an Orc's face and it will take him ages to catch on. The stealth is closer to Assassin's Creed in AI dumbness, but the sheer number of ways to dispatch enemies still makes it more fun (I've never been able to get into Assassin's Creed, anyway). The traversal is also pretty AC-inspired, and even though it's still buggy and Talion sometimes just stands still when I'm trying to jump off a ledge or something, I find the controls more intuitive than in AC, where I would constantly be jumping off of buildings while trying to scale them.

I guess Shadow of Mordor being a Batman/Assassin's Creed mashup makes sense, because the developers working on it were originally supposed to work on a Batman game, and then moved a lot of their work over to the LOTR IP when they didn't get the go-ahead to continue work on Batman. And some of the people on the team worked on AC for Ubisoft.

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, I hear that the newer ones are a bit of a break from the old ones I never really cared for, and are a lot better. I should probably check them out when the prices come down. However, I'm not in a huge hurry, because most of the innovations seem like shit that Witcher 3 has already done, and probably does better. And I'm not even finished that game yet.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #554
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I just started playing the original Witcher. God damn the initial controls/camera are terrible. I almost gave up. Click to location should not be the default

Old 08-06-2019, 03:39 AM   #555
Graveflower
Pledge

Old 08-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #556
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Gettin back into some games

Anyone playing mario maker? Gosh im hooked

What else? Tried some axiom verge, hasn’t hooked me yet, although I am exactly the target audience for an 8-bit nostalgia party. Seems a bit monochrome and slow so far

Old 08-13-2019, 07:05 PM   #557
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I just started playing the original Witcher. God damn the initial controls/camera are terrible. I almost gave up. Click to location should not be the default
As much as I love the third entry, I've had no desire to check out the earlier ones. I feel like they'd appeal more to hardcore fans of the series or gamers in general than to filthy casuals who just want a fun and intuitive experience, like me.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:41 PM   #558
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I've never played any of them. I don't think my gpu is good enough to play 3. This is really a business laptop and not a gaming one, I just get away with some stuff since it does have a AMD FirePro W4170M

Old 08-13-2019, 11:57 PM   #559
Skradgee
Boardcaster

Hey there, Mister!

You there, partner...excuse me.

How do you do?

Old 08-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #560
Skradgee
Boardcaster

I'm ~43% done with the Red Dead Redemption 2 story. I've been greeting everyone I meet but can't get my honor level to go up more even though the little icon appears and I've been doing a bunch of chores. I guess I need to do something else to max it out to get the trophy.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #561
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Don’t u have to beat a suffragette to death and then post it to the internet? Thought i heard something about that

Old 11-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #562
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Been playing dat Hitman: Blood Money a bit recently.

Damn, it's pretty hard and opaque, but the couple times I've been able to complete a mission without getting into a firefight and without having to look up a walkthrough have made me feel like a genius.

I like the puzzle-like, sandbox nature of it. I just wish it was a little more apparent what you can and can't do.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #563
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Hate it when a game is unclear about what’s allowed, or u lose/fail for some arbitrary reason that’s not flagged beforehand or at least intuitive from the presentation

As for me been gettin my ass kicked by ring fit adventure; this is a fun game and it makes me sweat and pant. It’s still a very weird feeling to be blasting baddies with the power of my squats, but its the most enthused ive been about exercising in years

Old 11-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #564
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Hate it when a game is unclear about what’s allowed, or u lose/fail for some arbitrary reason that’s not flagged beforehand or at least intuitive from the presentation
I agree. My philosophy is that a game level or mission should be, in principle, winnable on the first try.

Of course, it might be highly unlikely that one would win it on the first try because of how difficult it is, but it should be possible to.

To illustrate what I mean, lets say a game gives you two possible doors to walk through. You walk through one, and it turns out to be booby-trapped, so you die and it's an automatic fail state. There were no clues as to which door was the correct one. Going through the correct one was totally a matter of chance, and the only reason you know which one is correct now is due having had lost earlier and remembering your mistake. Purely trial-and-error.

I would call that bad game design. One one fails at a game, it should be for reasons the player can understand. It should be due to a failure to master the mechanics of the game, or a failure to pay attention, or a failure of the player's responsiveness to the game's cues. It shouldn't just be arbitrary or random.

Sometimes I feel that Hitman: Blood Money relies a bit too much on trial-and-error, and sometimes feels a little arbitrary. I wouldn't go as far to say that it's poorly designed, though. It's actually quite well designed. It's quite a clever and tight puzzle/sandbox game that allows for the player to use their creativity to achieve objectives in an open-ended way. The game just could do better at teaching the player the mechanics. I'm still kinda getting used to it, but I'm starting to find little "aha" moments here and there.

Older games just in general seem to be harder and less new-player-friendly than newer ones, so I'm guessing that if I ever graduate to the 2016 or 2018 installments (they are fucking expensive, though), they will be a bit more transparent than Blood Money.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #565
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Old 12-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #566
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Has anybody played Pathologic 2 by chance?

For whatever reason my colleague keeps urging me to play it, I'm not sure why as I'm not a gamer (I play Stardew Valley for half an hour once a month to arrange plants for an ultimate designer garden, that's about it.)

Old 12-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #567
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Everyone should play Outer Wilds. What a wonderful little game.
The sense of exploration and discovery is incredible and what a fascinating little solar system they built!

Old 12-07-2019, 01:44 AM   #568
Toby
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Arrow

I downloaded Darksiders Genesis last night and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's like a darksiders/diablo hybrid of a game.

Only $30

Old 12-07-2019, 01:45 AM   #569
Toby
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Everyone should play Outer Wilds. What a wonderful little game.
The sense of exploration and discovery is incredible and what a fascinating little solar system they built!
I'm waiting for the switch version

Old 12-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #570
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I'm waiting for the switch version
Me too omg can’t wait! Been dreaming of a fallout on the switch, looks like this will tickle that itch and also gimme some spacedream fantasies