Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #121
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfXiqDhIgAARJZF.jpg

Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #122
MusicMan4

like a year or so ago there were a bunch of articles where people were outraged about the "trend" of people using their benefits to buy stuff like wild alaskan salmon and organic produce

"these people shouldn't be able to eat better than i do!" and such

so no matter what you do, you'll be in the wrong
they should work on everything classified as "food" regardless of if it is "real" food and absolutely everyone should shut up about how poor people spend their money

the most i ever made in a year was like $13k and I checked out how much i would qualify for and it was like $40 a month
this is not exactly an outrageous amount of money and i also pay taxes which is something a lot of poor people do even though non-poor people like to refer to themselves as "the taxpayers" exclusively
i'm eventually going to be living by myself making a little over a thousand dollars a month that way more than half will have to go to rent and i just wanna buy some damn organic spring mix with my snap card

Old 05-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #123
MusicMan4

very cool science

Old 05-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #124
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
And then he wanders off to the mountains toward suicide...

Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #125
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

if you use WIC in most states the expensive "organic" items are allowed.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #126
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
the difference is that unemployment benefits are a form of insurance, not "welfare"
That was not question for you to answer.

S
T
F
U

Scotty

Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #127
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Scotty please

Old 05-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #128
Bread Regal
Banned

access to nutritious food should a basic human right with no questions asked.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #129
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I like to remind my fellow employees that without SNAP our jobs probably wouldn't exist whenever they complain about food stamps.

I had a big argument/debate with my last supervisor about the Real Food thing. Yes, they should only be used for Real Food, however it is impossible to account for the myriad of possible exceptions, not to mention the arbitrary nature of some Real Food vs Junk Food (for example, fruit juice is not much healthier than soda).

The best one is when someone buys beer with cash and food with SNAP and people are like "they shouldn't do that!" and it's like, well yes in a perfect world, but in our world people do things because they are stressed or addicted to something and who are you to take away their recreation just because you don't agree with it, when you'd probably be fine with them going to the movies or something else like that that isn't a "vice" even though it's really the same damn thing.
thats weird because i think the working class getting free food so they can afford beer is consistent with the notion of a perfect world.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #130
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
but no meat amirite

also, should access to nutritious food be a basic chimpanzee right? what about a basic gorilla right? a basic elephant right? a basic lion right? lions eat meat tho, what do we do there. does the lion's basic right to have access to nutritious food trump the springbok's basic right to have access to life?

contemplative times at ridgemont high

Old 05-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #131
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

http://forums.netphoria.org/customav...tar27459_3.gif

Old 05-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #132
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

This is gonna be a sanctimonious (and TLDR) canadian post but whatever, as someone from a country where you can pretty much get welfare if you just apply for it a long as you can prove (and there's not much hoops to jump through there) your'e either not getting an income or at least not enough, i find the idea of food stamps sad and humiliating. Like oh well we're gonna help our poor some i guess but since they cant be trusted with actual money, let's make sure they really are using this for food and have to actually show it when they buy it. hopefully the shame will get them to pick themselves off by the bootstraps and get off them.

i mean my mom was on welfare earlier this year (she had to get operated for a tumor on her ovaries, that the government was paying of course, so couldn't work for a bit) and she still had property worth about 100 000$ that she was trying to sell and was staying at my brother's. She wasn't technically poor, but they still let her have some. In America people would scream entitlement. Personally i'm glad to be in a country where the moment you're unemployed for whatever reason, the government is ready to step in to help you. There's been countries where they've been talking about guaranteed minimal income, I think that's a terrific idea. I've heard it mentioned by a party here.

What I dont get about America (and i know this likely doesn't apply for anyone here) is that there's always this cliche of proud to be an American and all and it seems to me if you're proud of your country, then there should be a sense of solidarity, you should want to help your fellow citizens. But not in america, for a lot it seems your fellow citizen is your enemy. It's like i'm proud to be in a country where the guy next door is dying while i've got more than plenty and i'm not willing to part with one cent of it to help him with because you know, bootstraps.

Quite frankly i don't give a shit that part of my taxes goes to help people get healthcare or welfare (well ok so at my income level i dont pay lots of taxes...). Even if some of these people are abusing it. That's part of the cons but you can't throw away the system just because a small % are not deserving of it. That still in total losses does not in any way get close to the amount of taxes the 1% are not paying by putting their money in fiscal paradises anyway (and anyway ive known quite a few people on welfare, none of which i consider were abusing it). I don't care to pay because everyone else is also paying for the right of me to have it too. And if i somehow DON'T need it (well everybody will need healthcare at some point, but welfare), then that means i'm making enough money to be able to afford helping others get it.

i know im preaching to the choir but i mean....fuck.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #133
Order 66
Socialphobic

there's also the proven fact that food stamps are demonstrably stimulative to the economy. like, there's not one credible economist that would refute that

Old 05-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #134
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post

working for the ACS you start to notice that there's also a benefits gap, as in you are pretty poor but you make "too much money" to qualify for something because 1) it's for the truly destitute and/or 2) you got another form of assistance, which isn't enough, which disqualifies you from further benefits
Working in legal services was tough for this reason (well, among many others). We had absolute limits on who we could serve, based on the federal poverty guidelines. There is an enormous gap between people who qualify for legal services and people who can afford private attorneys. I'm not really sure how to fill that. Legal service organizations need way way way way more funding with much fewer strings tied to it.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #135
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
there's no nutritional difference between organic produce and non organic produce

Old 05-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #136
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Well except for super powers.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #137
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
there's no nutritional difference between organic produce and non organic produce
speaking as a person with a learning disability, you should really get tested because i didn't even use the word organic.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #138
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Food stamps should only work at farmers markets and CSAs!

Old 05-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #139
Eulogy
huh

the local farmers' market is pretty cool but holy shit everything is expensive. never really buy anything there. fun to look though.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #140
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
the local farmers' market is pretty cool but holy shit everything is expensive. never really buy anything there. fun to look though.
We are fortune to live with many and one of the best CSAs imaginable, so pretty much everything comes from them. Unfortunately they aren't accessible fir those without transportation.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #141
D.
Consume my pants.

Everything at our closest farmer's market is pretty affordable. We are always amazed at the price there compared to almost double the price for the same at the grocery store.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #142
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Except for all the poisons on non-organic produce. You don't get that on certified organic.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #143
Eulogy
huh

What poisons are you referring to

Old 05-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #144
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

science poison

Old 05-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #145
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
thats weird because i think the working class getting free food so they can afford beer is consistent with the notion of a perfect world.
this is a good point actually

Old 05-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #146
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
What poisons are you referring to
Roundup for one.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #147
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Wink

Quote:
speaking as a person with a learning disability, you should really get tested because i didn't even use the word organic.
isn't that what veganism means, dreadlock hippy superstar

Old 05-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #148
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
Roundup for one.
roundup is sprayed on weeds you goddamn retard

the primary concern for organictards is the pesticides

Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #149
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
roundup is sprayed on weeds you goddamn retard

the primary concern for organictards is the pesticides
Someone should do some more reading before sounding like a moron... *coughTrotscough*

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...g-herbicide-p/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-toxicity.aspx

http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/index.jsp

Who's the "goddamned retard" now?

Old 05-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #150
Trotskilicious
Banned

still you

i just want to let you know that you're profoundly fat so lecturing us about health is hilarious