Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Exclamation Okay, so we're gonna talk about Stranger Things in here

Spoiler-friendly I gotta say, sorry Mals.

Here's some deep analysis: season 1 excellent, season 2 100% trash, season 3 pretty good again.

I don't remember season 1 having the broad humor this show quickly developed. I miss the more serious tone, like Erica is straight-up just a sassy sitcom character. On the other hand I like Erica, so I am conflicted.

What did you folks think and do you agree Hopper was a complete dick all season and that it's always been obvious Will is gay. Do you.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I'm watching it right now

I disagree with your opinions about the seasons. 1 was great yes, after that it felt like they were milking it and it still kind of does. I didn't feel that season 2 was 100% trash at all, just really not as good as the first one. this one is pretty much the same to me. Entertaining enough

Old 07-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

I think tonally 2 and 3 feel very similar, but for some reason 3 just works for me where 2 did not. It's got propulsion to it and I feel like it gets better as the season goes on. When I watched the first episode I thought "great, this shit again," but it picks up.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

hm, I don't know. I'm at episode 6 at the moment. it's just entertaining mostly to me.

also that whole 80's aesthetic is really nicely done, but we're kind of used to it by now.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

loved season one

quit season two on second episode

not sure about giving it another try

fuck

Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #6
Skradgee
Boardcaster

/me binge watched and regrets it only because he wants more

The 80s nostalgia is like...the subtle hook. I think they can keep drawing from it.

That said, I hope they quit before the show hopefully doesn't get run into the upside down.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #7
FoolofaTook

dark >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> stranger things

Old 07-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

S1: Very good
S2: Good
S3: Bad

Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
What did you folks think and do you agree Hopper was a complete dick all season and that it's always been obvious Will is gay. Do you.
On reflection, I realize I have never been the father of an out-of-control teen and thus may have a limited grasp of what was going through Hopper's head all season long, though I maintain that this stress manifesting as rabid jealousy toward Joyce was taking things too far

Will has always been gay tho

Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

of course he is gay, his role is to suffer and be ignored

Old 07-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #11
FoolofaTook

i would never ignore you toase, you are a cool dude! who else do i know that listens to white heaven? no one!!!

Old 07-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #12
FoolofaTook

i think will is a weak actor tho. sometimes he can't keep a straight face.

eleven tho, kills it.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #13
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I loved this season, much better than season 2 (ugh)

Robin was a great addition and the whole Scoops Ahoy crew just clicked together beautifully.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #14
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

I liked season 2 up until Eleven went to Chicago. That episode was balls. It tried to recover after that but never really got there.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #15
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Angry

Just wanna add I've never seen product placement so egregious as what they do in the second-to-last episode

They literally pause the story to talk for several minutes about how great a product is and hey, wouldn't you know it, that product went back on shelves thanks to a promotional tie-in with the show

Does everyone know Robin is Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke's daughter, because I did not, but it is screamingly obvious now

Old 07-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #16
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Just wanna add I've never seen product placement so egregious as what they do in the second-to-last episode.
Really because they did the same exact thing an episode or two before that with the fucking Slurpee thing.

This season was terrible no real plot. just a bunch poorly strung together tropes and "hey you guys 'member shopping malls right?"

Old 07-17-2019, 09:55 PM   #17
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

sorry to be the voice of reason guys but Stranger Things was always fucking terrible from the get go

it's basically fuzzy's TMNT pasta fascination in televised form as tastelessly reimagined by the wrong kind of hipsters

Old 07-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #18
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

Old 07-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #19
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Really because they did the same exact thing an episode or two before that with the fucking Slurpee thing.
Okay, I looked it up, and the producers claim there was no actual product placement—i.e., a brand paying to be included on the show—anywhere. What I'm talking about, though, is a product that came back to store shelves after decades specifically because of a promotional tie-in that ended up with Lucas singing the product's praises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
tropes
I can never figure out if this or "canon" is the worst recent word to enter common usage when talking about stories.

Last edited by topleybird : 07-18-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: seemed mean

Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #20
FranchisePunter
Amish Rake Fighter

Season 3 was just a slightly weirder version of a network sitcom, mainly for 80s kids to get member berries. That said, I watched the whole thing because I am a rube and have no delusions about my taste.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #21
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
sorry to be the voice of reason guys but Stranger Things was always fucking terrible from the get go

it's basically fuzzy's TMNT pasta fascination in televised form as tastelessly reimagined by the wrong kind of hipsters
fukkin nailed it, teh

Old 07-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #22
FoolofaTook

me in a games of thrones thread

Old 07-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #23
FoolofaTook

so nice of you guys to show up, btw. would you like some crackers with your milk?

Old 07-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #24
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

very much looking forward to the day i can truly participate in this thread. currently on the final ep of season 2—fuck the nay-sayers!

Old 07-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #25
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Okay, I looked it up, and the producers claim there was no actual product placement—i.e., a brand paying to be included on the show—anywhere. What I'm talking about, though, is a product that came back to store shelves after decades specifically because of a promotional tie-in that ended up with Lucas singing the product's praises.

I can never figure out if this or "canon" is the worst recent word to enter common usage when talking about stories.
Ahh I know what you are saying I'm pretty positive it has happened before. Can't place where right now but I'm sure it has. I'm thinking a fast food burger or something similar.

As far as tropes okay. Shopping montage. swimming pool crap in the guise of tribute, angry single dad with a teenage daughter.

All of these can be interesting but literally nothing beyond the basic character archetype was done and most of this crap did little to nothing for a plot that was not there.

Same interdimensional vagina only this time it's the Russians.

Now what they should have dome is the russians fucking around doing weird biological warfare using the interdimensional vagina as a cover. But you know that would require them to take some writing energy away from new coke and slurpees.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #26
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I LIKE MORE STRANGER THINGS!!

I LOVE THE 70S AND HOW THEY ARE PORTAY'D
ALSO CU5E KIDS BUT ALSP SMART JAJAJJAJAJAJAJA!

Old 07-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #27
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Lightbulb

I think timing-wise it's possible for these kids to get into Celtic Frost next season

Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 AM   #28
obscured01
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
dark >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> stranger things
I couldn't get past episode 2 or 3 of Dark. I really wanted to like it... just couldn't.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #29
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Not sure if I should continue with stranger things. It was derivative but aesthetically gratifying in season one, season two I dunno what happened, too much. Don’t know where I stand, now.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:26 AM   #30
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Dark I liked a lot, but at the end I was like ehhhh these bastards are not going to tie up these loose ends are they