Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria
Default new coffee thread

How do you drink it, what is your coffee philosophy, what are your methods.

My husband and I just had yet another argument about the coffee I drink. At the moment I drink this Tesco stuff, in a French Press (we call it a plunger, in NZ and Aus).https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/3...ot_540x540.jpg OR, in really bad, sad, suicide-prevention moments, I drink Moccona

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...g?v=1516603830

and he just can't stand it

He buys these locally roasted beans and grinds them up in his burr grinder and makes himself a pour-over and it really shits him, that I refuse to drink this supposedly superior coffee that he's buying.

But you know, I just can't do it any more. I bought a Vibiemme Domobar and a Mazzer Mini, and ordered beans through a co-op and made myself espressos and in the end I went INSANE chasing that same perfect flavour that I had once tasted.

After years of that...I realised that you simply can't source Ethiopian Yirgacheffe all year round - and that sometimes when you find it, some fucking tool went and roasted the whole batch, two weeks ago. It actually made me crazy.

So now, I have given up, and I just drink the shit that I know will be the same, every time I make it.

When we get home to Wellington, I'll drink locally roasted coffee there. Because there's a roaster around every corner, there. My favourite is Supreme.

Looks like they've been over-run by hipsters, so hopefully the coffee still tastes good.

https://www.coffeesupreme.com/images...and-Park-5.jpg

It was really moving to Sydney, that was the beginning of the end. I've never had so many bad espressos in all my life, as I did in Sydney. That was really what triggered the coffee obsession in the first place. But it was a journey of heartbreak and disappointment and in the end, I burned out.

How do you drink your coffee?

Old 10-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #2
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

My sister gave me this special coffee with smoked nuts(?), or something like that, and it is so good, I mix it with regular coffee and it smells so good and tastes awesome

Old 10-12-2018, 12:11 AM   #3
noyen
Immortal

don't drink it never have except here and there. being more awake also reminds me of meth, which is a hell of a drug. if i ingest caffeine I'm usually weird as fuck and up for days, just like being on meth.

meth.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #4
noyen
Immortal

also the Mormons fucked me up. Jesus said don't do it. coffee = prison buttsex.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:46 AM   #5
ilikeplanets
Braindead

i drink regular ole' ground up coffee. must have sugar and creamer. i can't have more than one cup per day because of the meth thing.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:20 AM   #6
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I only did meth a few times, but the last time I was close to suicide coming off it.

Man, coffee is nothing like meth, for me. Coffee is to meth what sugar is to cocaine, I reckon. It's like meth's harmless cousin.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:21 AM   #7
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

covfefe

Old 10-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #8
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
also the Mormons fucked me up. Jesus said don't do it. coffee = prison buttsex.
are you ex-mormon?

I had missionaries visiting my boyfriend and me, for a few months. It was while we were living in sin together, in a shitty halfway house. I don't know if Mormon missionaries get extra points for drastic conversions like that, and that's what kept them coming, or if nobody else let them in.

But of all the whack doctrines they had, the one that most convinced me that their worldview was incorrect, was that abstaining from coffee and tea was Godly. I can't imagine how I could actually remain alive without hot tea and coffee...I drink at least 2 cups of coffee and 3 cups of tea, every day. Usually more. Sorry, but I had to find another God.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:27 AM   #9
Alice
Minion of Satan

I have opinions about coffee

Old 10-12-2018, 01:27 AM   #10
Alice
Minion of Satan

Cold brew for example

Old 10-12-2018, 01:28 AM   #11
Alice
Minion of Satan

When I am king it will be banned

Old 10-12-2018, 01:31 AM   #12
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toase View Post
My sister gave me this special coffee with smoked nuts(?), or something like that, and it is so good, I mix it with regular coffee and it smells so good and tastes awesome
This sounds fantastic btw

Nuts and coffee are a fantastic mix. I like hazelnut coffee.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:36 AM   #13
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
When I am king it will be banned
It's a bad move. The peasants will be less productive. And then, lacking any kind of simple pleasure, they will revolt.

I spoke to a Polish woman once who told me a story from her childhood, of Soviet rationing. She said one day her mother found out there was coffee, in the local shop. And like everything, your rations depended on how many people lived in your house. So her mother told her to go and gather up children from around the neighbourhood, so that they could present as one family, and get more coffee rations.

That's how much people love coffee. And look at what happened to the Soviet Union. See? Bad move.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:40 AM   #14
Alice
Minion of Satan

Look you make some excellent points and they can have all the coffee they want just not cold brew no not on my watch

Old 10-12-2018, 01:41 AM   #15
Alice
Minion of Satan

https://handground.com/grind/complet...se-iced-coffee

Old 10-12-2018, 01:42 AM   #16
Alice
Minion of Satan

I haven't read the whole thing but this is how iced coffee should be made. This is what I'm here to say

Old 10-12-2018, 01:43 AM   #17
Alice
Minion of Satan

The Japanese did it again

Old 10-12-2018, 01:51 AM   #18
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Look you make some excellent points and they can have all the coffee they want just not cold brew no not on my watch
oh, right. I misunderstood. Sorry. Yeah I've had cold brew once, because I walked into a cafe right after they had stopped taking orders.

It tasted like cold coffee to me. It was fine. But if it was banned I wouldn't notice.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 AM   #19
Alice
Minion of Satan

It's so much worse than cold coffee

Old 10-12-2018, 02:03 AM   #20
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
just looks like pour over, to me... basically what my husband drinks, but with ice cubes in it?

Which is fine...I prefer French press. Probably habit, I guess. I've been drinking French press coffee for 20 years, there's a kind of comfort in familiarity...

Old 10-12-2018, 02:06 AM   #21
Alice
Minion of Satan

Yeah that's cool for hot coffee I'm talking specifically about iced coffee

Old 10-12-2018, 02:07 AM   #22
Alice
Minion of Satan

I just want people to stop drinking cold brew so I can go into a coffee shop and get a regular iced coffee

Old 10-12-2018, 02:12 AM   #23
vixnix
Socialphobic

hopefully it will pass, I agree.

Cafes work best when they're not full of fussy pretentious assholes who don't even really enjoy coffee.

I think we lost a lot, when everything went smokefree, in NZ and Australia. Straight away the regulars changed from disgruntled middle aged bachelors and hippie students, to health nut frat boys and yoga girls

Now they're basically just juice bars. Selling coffee juice. It's fucked up

Old 10-12-2018, 02:16 AM   #24
Alice
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
assholes who don't even really enjoy coffee.
I got a job with a cool coffee company once and I thought it was gonna be really great but it was just this

Old 10-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #25
Graveflower
Pledge

i like it but only with butter and coconut oil it's pretty good then i don't care what kind of coffee it is it all tastes like shit i just want my arteries clogged and to feel all wired and have my heart rate out of whack and maybe die

Old 10-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #26
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I put a large kettle (15-20 liters) of coffee on, until it boils. I stick my head in it until i start choking. I really try to push myself to keep my head in the boiling coffee when that happens. It turns out it's actually most enjoyable this way. I can recommend it to anyone. It's also a great method to calm crying infants.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #27
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i only like iced coffee and i am too lazy to make it myself

Old 10-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #28
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Fuck man this Vietnamese egg coffee is the mutts nuts.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #29
queenoftheswine
Demi-God

Location: Some area where the Canadian dollar is far more valuable than my own.

I do not understand the cold brew coffee hype. It's meh at best. Having said that, I've never really enjoyed coffee that isn't hot, so who am I to judge?

Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #30
ilikeplanets
Braindead

i wouldn't know a cold brew coffee if it was poured over my head. i just know if i like the particular cup of coffee or not. #simpleton