Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #181
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
Wouldn't YOU want to make the situation better if you really had the power to do so? It seems that you've just sort of given up on the idea that meaningful change will realistically ever occur? I'm not willing to give up on that idea. People collectively have to get outraged enough to push back in various ways, and I think that changes are beginning to stir because folks are indeed highly dissatisfied and new and alternative models are beginning to establish themselves various pockets of the media world (and the real world). I don't know what exactly that has to do with my "knowledge". These are long-standing and fairly common complaints that have been floating around for years; the problem just seems to intensify. My insight/criticism is by no means original, nor do I claim it is. There are whole books written dedicated to various iterations of these criticisms. But I certainly concur with them wholeheartedly.
I do try, that's exactly why comments like yours piss me off. And what needs changing collectively is what people expect to get for free or just pirate it. Good luck with that. Call me when your hopes shattered and you actually bring years of experience instead of smart-ass college talk.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #182
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, Trots, you live in a more enlightened city where the people in power locally (not at the actual capitol down there, LOL) actually seem to care about doing something to force issues like slightly higher than required minimum wages.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #183
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
asperger's is the self-diagnosis for people who are uncomfortable acknowledging social cues and nuances in human relations but still want to think of themselves as exceptionally smart.
basically

people with autism fall all over the IQ spectrum. but being "social awkward" or "consumed by one interest" is not what stumpy is doing, even if you could consider "having opinions on mainstream topics that are not popular BUT WITH EXPLANATIONS THAT AREN'T COMPLETELY (ahem) STUPID" as a very narrow interest (and you can, but that is not what I get from stumpy because her opinions are simply too nuanced - which isn't to say someone with asperger's couldn't have the same understanding as stumpy, but it would be a big problem for them to explain it eloquently) is not an example of asperger's in action. it's just not.

edit: to be clear - high function autism (let's start calling it by the proper nomenclature, m'kay guys) CERTAINLY exists. stumpy's posting style does not display it, in my non-professional opinion.

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-02-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:06 AM   #184
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I didn't mean to bring this Asperger's stuff to light for it to cause an argument or further berating. I regret even mentioning it in here.
Quote:
Quote:
I feel like I've grown too powerful here.
This is a better example. You mentioned something. We are discussing it. There is nothing wrong or bad or right or good about this topic, in and of itself. You are not powerful, or weak, for bringing up this topic. However, instead of speaking of the topic in a nuanced way, you are barely scratching it and then talking about your (perceived) power (or lack of power) on this message board for mentioning a topic.

Quite a difference, yes?

to be clear aspberger's isn't a bad thing per se so there is no bashing going on, and im sorry if it seems that way

Old 12-02-2013, 03:06 AM   #185
T&T
Socialphobic

hey, do you guys want to take your meaningless meandering drivel back to the gen-board?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:07 AM   #186
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Also, Trots, you live in a more enlightened city where the people in power locally (not at the actual capitol down there, LOL) actually seem to care about doing something to force issues like slightly higher than required minimum wages.
florida's minimum wage is higher than the federal mandated.

and we all know what a shithole florida is.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:09 AM   #187
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
hey, do you guys want to take your meaningless meandering drivel back to the gen-board?

What for? Did Billy do anything of interest? Nicole in Playboy? Mike break his arms? Any info on the reissues? No.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #188
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
no thanks

Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #189
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
florida's minimum wage is higher than the federal mandated.

and we all know what a shithole florida is.
In other amazing, ground-breaking news: former Fox News douche and union-hating current Ohio governor John Kasich decides it's the right thing to do to accept Medicaid expansion for his citizens.

Please, someone shower such wisdom upon Rick Perry & Ted Cruz friends.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #190
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
oh jesus christ of montreal, sorry to interrupt your sp chat experience with something other than the death rattle of a faded 90s rock band

Old 12-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #191
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i mean god damn all these posts about autism and shit are ruining the experience for the crickets and tumbleweeds that are usually hanging around to talk about the pumpkins

Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #192
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

trots, you're ruining the experience!

Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #193
Cool As Ice Cream

re: absinthe

Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #194
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, Autism Spectrum Disorders and Aspergers Syndrome do seem to manifest in slightly different ways between males and females (in females it often tends to be a little less readily noticeable, for one thing) and also symptoms can change and reduce significantly with age, depending upon the degree of severity and particular symptoms one begins with. Autism is just such a complicated and multifaceted presentation that it's really hard to pin it down to "a" specific causation or any inevitable natural course. Everyone classified with ASD seems to have their own unique manifestation of the disorder.

To be clear, I WAS diagnosed with various forms of obsessive compulsive disorder, depression, tactile disorder, and anxiety while under psychiatric evaluation as a young teen. They really only know as much as you are willing to tell them however. That is the nature of mental health.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #195
pavementtune

Sorry to interrupt with SP
Quote:
i know, right. you post just made me think "damn, i forgot about tricky" and then i was like "do mine ears deceive me?"
Ha, Smashing Pumpkins and the sample of Suffer are credited, line 3. And I never noticed it before - untroo fan!

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-15385-1372377927-9862.jpeg

Pumpkin ~ 16:30

Old 12-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #196
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Hah. I remember when this was all over AMSP. Back when any mention or reference to SP whatsoever made me cream my pants (metaphorically of course.)

Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #197
Cool As Ice Cream

Angry

Quote:
any mention or reference to SP whatsoever made me cream my pants (metaphorically of course.)
metaphorically? if you're not a real fan, then why are you even here?

Old 12-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #198
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Also, Autism Spectrum Disorders and Aspergers Syndrome do seem to manifest in slightly different ways between males and females (in females it often tends to be a little less readily noticeable, for one thing) and also symptoms can change and reduce significantly with age, depending upon the degree of severity and particular symptoms one begins with. Autism is just such a complicated and multifaceted presentation that it's really hard to pin it down to "a" specific causation or any inevitable natural course. Everyone classified with ASD seems to have their own unique manifestation of the disorder.

To be clear, I WAS diagnosed with various forms of obsessive compulsive disorder, depression, tactile disorder, and anxiety while under psychiatric evaluation as a young teen. They really only know as much as you are willing to tell them however. That is the nature of mental health.
I agree that in mood disorders it has a large part to do with what you tell them. However, stick someone with mild or severe autism, or hell even OCD, in front of a seasoned professional, and they will know. Or someone in a manic episode. Or most people with active schizophrenia (perhaps mitigated with age if part of their delusions are that they need to hide their delusions).

As for causation, obviously it is complicated, and although AFAIK there are no definitive biological markers for autism (YET KNOWN, and they will be eventually), it does run in families.

And yes, people with autism do not all manifest it in the same ways. But, IME, it is very easy to tell that "something" is up with them after a short period of conversation (5-10 minutes). Namely, in repetitive gestures, speech, and topics of conversations. I work with a couple HFA, one of them is just as capable as anyone else, maybe slightly low IQ (like 80-90, bit obsessive about about her space and doing things the "right" way, but is fine if you ask her if you can get it in first). The other seems like he is on like Pluto, repeats himself, doesn't have conversations except repeating his question with different inflections ("Is it okay to curse today? [Insert Employee said it was okay]), but is also just as capable as getting items from the shelf, or getting change, etc.) The other special needs person I work with seems to just have a low IQ (mental age around.... 8 or 9? can get change, but not items from shelf, only follows simple directions). Most people I work with just think they're all "crazy". It's pretty sad. Not the people, but the way they are treated.

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-02-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #199
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
This is a better example. You mentioned something. We are discussing it. There is nothing wrong or bad or right or good about this topic, in and of itself. You are not powerful, or weak, for bringing up this topic. However, instead of speaking of the topic in a nuanced way, you are barely scratching it and then talking about your (perceived) power (or lack of power) on this message board for mentioning a topic.

Quite a difference, yes?

to be clear aspberger's isn't a bad thing per se so there is no bashing going on, and im sorry if it seems that way
It seemed like the conversation got more heated and negative once I brought up Asperger's. It seemed like that steered the conversation into a darker direction.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #200
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

People are not their illnesses, but neither are symptoms illnesses

Old 12-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #201
Catherine Wheel
Banned

You haven't mastered being nuanced without being condescending and patronizing.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #202
pavementtune

Who? Stumpy or reprise?

Old 12-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #203
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

people who hate complete genres of mental illnesses are retards.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:59 AM   #204
Cool As Ice Cream

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
people who hate complete genres of mental illnesses are retards.
all of them?

Old 12-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #205
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
It seemed like the conversation got more heated and negative once I brought up Asperger's. It seemed like that steered the conversation into a darker direction.
Quote:
You haven't mastered being nuanced without being condescending and patronizing.
I'm sorry, really. You're right. I'm not great at it.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #206
null123
Minion of Satan

i love when CW talks incessantly about other people having asperger it's truly poetic

Old 12-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #207
null123
Minion of Satan

i've suspected for some time that my dad could be a sperg. based on current medical research that would make 50% of my genes sperg genes

Old 12-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #208
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

my dad has something going on as well there that i cant quite put my finger on. he's got some symptoms of schizoid personality disorder, but not the one that is probably the most stereotypical which is a characteristically solitary lifestyle. but maybe he just likes to not have to worry about achieving much in the workplace so he knows he needs a sugar mama and they don't even talk about emotions or intimacy or w/e. i dunno, it's harder when you're close to them sometimes. not that we're actually close I DONT KNOW

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-02-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #209
MusicMan4

Quote:

edit: to be clear - high function autism (let's start calling it by the proper nomenclature, m'kay guys) CERTAINLY exists. stumpy's posting style does not display it, in my non-professional opinion.
Nobody's posting style indicates any kind of autism
It's just become a thing on the internet to say anyone who seems like a dingus has it
You can't see how anyone behaves or see their sensory issues from their internet posts

Old 12-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #210
Bread Regal
Banned

what if it literally takes no effort to imagine stumpycat's words being typed out by dustin hoffman as the rain man.

that counts for something right