Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
ckeegan
Demi-God

Default Not enough pre-Gish material on re-release?

Didn't BC say there was a lot of pre-Gish material that would get released as part of the remastered album series? There are so many decent tracks that should have made the second disc of the Gish release...like Jennifer Ever, C'mon, East, Daughter, Egg...

Old 12-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
lala
Banned

from BC twitter (@Billy)

@thomcrossmusic Pisces Iscariot re-issue up next (april?) w/ bonus disc PLUS a release of all SP pre-Gish demos from @sprecordclub PLUS a compilation of the Rubano Tapes (roughly 50 hours of early SP live + rehearsals) in the spring2012

Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
rottenugly
Banned

>he didn't mention MCIS reissue.

sigh.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
lala
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenugly View Post
>he didn't mention MCIS reissue.

sigh.
because the guy only asked him about pisces

Old 12-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
strtj
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala View Post
from BC twitter (@Billy)

@thomcrossmusic Pisces Iscariot re-issue up next (april?) w/ bonus disc PLUS a release of all SP pre-Gish demos from @sprecordclub PLUS a compilation of the Rubano Tapes (roughly 50 hours of early SP live + rehearsals) in the spring2012
idgi, why wouldn't he just release all of the Rubano stuff? It'll be digital-only I'm sure, and hosting and setup costs are almost nothing for that sort of distribution. It's not like he has to do anything other than just dub it, the sort of people who are going to buy it will be PISSED if he lets Kerry ruin it.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
supermaid
Pledge

Location: how can you hate on that ending when all the trumpets and tubas come in

Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
T&T
Socialphobic

he's made it clear that in hindsight they didn't know what they were doing during gish, and that the songs are weak.
I suspect the thinks even less of the pre-gish songs you listed.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
emotionalfriend
Ownz

If "Translucent" gets released, then I'll be happy. That's all it will take to satisfy me.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

'also on @sprecordclub a compilation of the Rubano Tapes (roughly 50 hours of early SP live + rehearsals) in the spring2012' - crazy

Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalfriend View Post
If "Translucent" gets released, then I'll be happy. That's all it will take to satisfy me.
But you already have Translucent.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
strtj
Pledge

Yeah, and there's a clear and steady EQ curve that will remove all of the unnecessary bass from the Mashed Potatoes tracks. PM me or I could just post an image of the curve.

BC hates the early stuff, but wouldn't you? Even the best songs have a hard time standing up to anything on Gish. Hopefully the Honeyspider mention in the newest Rolling Stone will egg him on to release the Reel Time stuff - lord knows he's probably one of the only folks who still cares about that forgettable garbage magazine.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
emotionalfriend
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
But you already have Translucent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strtj View Post
Yeah, and there's a clear and steady EQ curve that will remove all of the unnecessary bass from the Mashed Potatoes tracks. PM me or I could just post an image of the curve.
Yes but I want it clipped and lacking emotional dynamics.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #13
strtj
Pledge

Boy howdy have you come to the right place and time. Which is to say, any time that involves Billy as the producer and leaning-over-the-shoulder-of-the-engineer. The Catherine "Sleepy" EP is one of the funniest mistakes ever.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

But he's either produced or co-produced nearly every one of the Smashing Pumpkins' recordings since 1989.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
strtj
Pledge

Yes, that's the joke, I'm glad you're in on it too.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #16
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Ah.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #17
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtj View Post
BC hates the early stuff, but wouldn't you? Even the best songs have a hard time standing up to anything on Gish.
No, there's plenty of songs that are as good as anything on Gish. Sun, Not Worth Asking, East, Translucent, Egg, My Dahlia, With You, etc. etc.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 AM   #18
paranoid
Minion of Satan

I think the whole point of the second disc on these reissues is to show case the process that went into making the albums, and all the loose ends around it. The material is more closely related to the album. So It would seem pointless to have all the pre gish material on this set.. as it almost seems like a completely different era. Sort of the Pumpkins 'hidden' first record.

The disc makes sense to me, but could still do without the PI song remixes. Seriously we're getting those songs again on the reissue, why not just slap the remixes and demos on that? Sort of a silly/confusing move.

Seeing as how this is the approach, I'm expecting a decent amount of the MCIS demos to show up on the bonus CD.. the acoustic demos, maybe autumn nocturne and stuff of that ilk. I'm hoping they layoff doing Aeroplane remixes. Too much material there to just throw some of those same songs around.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #19
T&T
Socialphobic

you think they'll do two bonus disks for MCIS?

and then an equivalent amount of bonus material for TAFH? (are they even remastering TAFH?)

Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #20
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
he's made it clear that in hindsight they didn't know what they were doing during gish, and that the songs are weak.
I suspect the thinks even less of the pre-gish songs you listed.
yeah but in bill-world Smiley is a good song...

Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #21
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
you think they'll do two bonus disks for MCIS?

and then an equivalent amount of bonus material for TAFH? (are they even remastering TAFH?)
Well think of it this way: we'd already have at least a 4-disc set, with 2 CDs with the remastered album + 1 rarities disc + 1 DVD. I think that'll be already a difficult sell for Virgin, but throw in a second disc of rarities to make it a 5 disc set? For bot MCIS AND TAFH? Commercial suicide.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #22
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Well think of it this way: we'd already have at least a 4-disc set, with 2 CDs with the remastered album + 1 rarities disc + 1 DVD. I think that'll be already a difficult sell for Virgin, but throw in a second disc of rarities to make it a 5 disc set? For bot MCIS AND TAFH? Commercial suicide.
I think that re-issuing TAFH is overkill. Throw me a disc of full instrumental (if that's what you've got) versions of songs from Pastachio Medley, and any additional worthy b-sides from the MCIS era - release it in a 4 disc set, and call it good.

I just fear he's gonna run out of steam before he gets to what I'm oddly most excited for, which would be Machina I/II resequenced/mastered.

Hoping that he comes through on the 1989 demos... man, really want some of that action.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #23
paranoid
Minion of Satan

he said he's free to do whatever he wants with these reissues.. so who knows what will be released.

All I care about is having TAFH on vinyl. Also, LMGTWTY Adore version. If those two are released, I'll be ok with him running out of steam.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post

All I care about is having TAFH on vinyl. Also, LMGTWTY Adore version. If those two are released, I'll be ok with him running out of steam.
TAFH needs to have the record box. needs to be released as individual 10" or 12" singles. don't think it will happen though.

the things i'm most excited to hear besides the couple individual songs mentioned (tear, lmgtwty) is future embrace piano demos, chicago kid material, and isn't there an adore session with jimmy on drums?

i can see putting the song selection under a microscope for these physical releases but as far as the digital releases go there is no reason whatsoever to not release entire sessions with a minimal amount of editing (for instance no reason to hae 7 false starts of "to forgive") and it doesn't have to mean jacking up the price.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #25
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

yeah, give us everything and don't charge much for it!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #26
Kahlo

Shut the fuck up Scotty.

You aren't the entitlement police. Go brown-nose elsewhere.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #27
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I think that re-issuing TAFH is overkill. Throw me a disc of full instrumental (if that's what you've got) versions of songs from Pastachio Medley, and any additional worthy b-sides from the MCIS era - release it in a 4 disc set, and call it good.
The thing is, you gotta remember that the target audience for these things is everyone, rather than us, you know what I mean? Corgan knows that, the label knows that. He'll throw us a bone with things we've never heard, but at the same time, they have to create a marketable product. A sole 2 or 3 CDs of just complete instrumental stuff is not really something an average Joe or Joanne would want. So I wouldn't hold my breath, but I'm sure some of that will be there.

The problem is he alreday said he's counting TAFH box as one of the remasters (as well as PI), so there's gonna be two of these things at least, each with their own bonus disc, although, as I had said, I can't fathom a good way to construct it.

Or he could just forget about these and file them away in the Corgan Empty Promises file...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
isn't there an adore session with jimmy on drums?
It's just practice tapes if anything. Is it even release-worthy? Who knows.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #28
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
the things i'm most excited to hear...is future embrace piano demos, chicago kid material
are these even on the agenda?

if we're going there i want them to remix Zeitgeist (bury the vocal, remove some of the vox - bring the light x50 and cheesy synth, the lalas, ahs and ohs), so that virtually every song doesn't piss me off in some fashion.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #29
The Melty Man
Ownz

Mary Star of the Sea remaster with new tracks like El-A-Noy, Rivers We Can't Cross... somehow unlikely I think!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #30
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
yeah, give us everything and don't charge much for it!
that is not what i said at all. what i said was that if you're doing a digital release as opposed to a physical release because the material in and of itself is not good enough or is too obscure to warrant a physical pressing then you might as well inklude an entire session.

only hardcore fans care about "adore rehearsals 3 of 5 mid july blah blah XX studio" for completist reasons so you might as well inklude the entire session instead of cherry-picking to make up an album that really doesn't exist. only having 2 songs from that session really doesn't give much insight into the session at all.

5 CD's of music should not be the same price as 5 Cd's worth of music files.

don't be a dummy.