Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #331
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
tags: acoustic idm acoustic guitar cunt Amsterdam

hah

Jos: i like how this gets noisy and chaotic. and how dopey the chord progression is. it makes me laugh. i used to go to school with a guy named jos. he runs a brewery across town now, i believe. different town to the old town. but the same town now, feels?

There Is No Ego Within The Blue Man Group: is this an arrested development reference? i'm going to assume it is. okay so. dude did you ever hear of warp records man cos like. nice textures. i don't know how to make these sounds on a computer so i'm always envious when Real Humans (like, people i know of for non-musical reasons) make them. good job. i wouldn't listen to this for fun but it's technically impressive to my sound-design-neophyte ears

Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #332
Luke de Spa

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Some live vids of my new band, this was from our third show:
i watched the first one. uh. can't tell what the lyrics are so maybe that'd save it, but what's left to explore with riff-based guitar music like this? particularly with such basic harmony? i dunno it's tight and whatever but why would anyone listen to this song over something else a big band did in the '90s?

sorry that's not very positive but it's honest

Old 12-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #333
Luke de Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec litany service View Post
been neglecting this thread/board, sorry...i'll listen to everything i missed
made a yt channel for covers [ http://youtube.com/user/brandonedgecovers ]. done 17 of em. once again just avoiding working on my actual new album, a lot of which isn't very new anymore lol
here's 2 of the better covers i guess

lol awesome

crazy eyes, heavy breathing

Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #334
Luke de Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
i put some of my original music up over at http://interopia.com/music/
listening to "attic"

cool. bit slow. vocals could use a bit more oomph – or more processing to blend it into the mix some more. nice simple arrangement. dark. percussion has some good space to it. like the textural change around 1:45

Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #335
Luke de Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
here's mine
solid. another descendant of gy!be, one of the explosions in the whatevers, good execution, everything by the book for the first three minutes or so, i like the abrupt arrangement change, although the harmony hasn't changed at all really except for a few extended chords, additional texture/layering around 4:20 is nice but doesn't do much for me, probably going to give this until about seven minutes in before stopping – 10+ minutes is long! okay. waiting for a surprise… nope. stopped

also your logo looks like NP just saying

Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #336
Luke de Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa View Post
been having a go at recording in garageband for ipad. all via the built-in mic or line-in + amp models. really surprised at how clear the ipad's (quite small) mic is. i thought it'd be tinny as hell

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6928048/long-division.m4a
okay now someone eviscerate this please

[del] it's probably the best song i've written, at least lyrically

Last edited by Luke de Spa : 12-07-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #337
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
haha yea i think it's in the state law
amendment 34, sub-section Z

Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #338
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
okay now someone eviscerate this please

[del] it's probably the best song i've written, at least lyrically
That was a pretty cool song! I'd edit it down a little bit though.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #339
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherubDaydream View Post
del

Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #340
Luke de Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
wow

Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #341
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

that's a cool radiohead-esque thing you have goin on lds

Old 12-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #342
noyen
Immortal

i would be uncomfortable posting music i made here because i cant do cyndi lauper that good.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #343
Luke de Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
That was a pretty cool song! I'd edit it down a little bit though.
what would you do? i was thinking of cutting the instrumental A section after the first B

the lyrics can't really be reduced without affecting the narrative

Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #344
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
what would you do? i was thinking of cutting the instrumental A section after the first B

the lyrics can't really be reduced without affecting the narrative
I couldn't really understand the lyrics, so I have no idea.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #345
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

And I mean that as in I personally have always had a difficulty in deciphering lyrics, so this is not unusual for me.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #346
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
originally posted by houseofglass11:

Yeah that's me playing. Definitely not trying to sound Texan in any way at all. You know the radio here plays ZZ Top about twice every half hour. I never want to hear them again. I'm definitely going for a heavier Pumpkins type sound a'la Gish.

ditch the strat and go Gibson or pick up a really hot chick rhythm player with a gothic SG and kick ass Marshall rig. what are you playing through?

btw, really like Vacant Sea.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #347
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

luke I think you can leave the song the length it is, but you should have more stuff going on at some points. switch shit up a bit. add a fucking glockenspiel or something

Old 12-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #348
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Last edited by houseofglass11 : 09-22-2018 at 03:10 AM.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #349
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

i say nay

Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #350
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
tags: acoustic idm acoustic guitar cunt Amsterdam

hah

Jos: i like how this gets noisy and chaotic. and how dopey the chord progression is. it makes me laugh. i used to go to school with a guy named jos. he runs a brewery across town now, i believe. different town to the old town. but the same town now, feels?

There Is No Ego Within The Blue Man Group: is this an arrested development reference? i'm going to assume it is. okay so. dude did you ever hear of warp records man cos like. nice textures. i don't know how to make these sounds on a computer so i'm always envious when Real Humans (like, people i know of for non-musical reasons) make them. good job. i wouldn't listen to this for fun but it's technically impressive to my sound-design-neophyte ears
that was nice to read, thank you. Blue Man Group isn't a reference to arrested development but it's something a Blue Man once said in an interview.

This is old stuff however and now Boutros Bubba has split up, I'm in the unashamedely masturbative process of recording a full solo album, similar to the music of crap hipster bands like Animal Collective.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #351
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

put some mandolins on there. i like mandolins.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #352
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

sure, how many mandolins would you prefer

Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #353
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

six and a half.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #354
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
come on, King of Limbs is a pile of shit. The band CAN did the exact same sound back in 1969 and 1970 ten times over.
Huh, what Can album sounds exactly like King of Limbs?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #355
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

http://boutrosbubba.bandcamp.com/album/band-fight

I say nay. How fitting that you have a collage of retards as your background. I don't know why you play guitars though. You should stop. Guitar music is on the way out. Put some mandolins on there. "Look at me I listen to Gang of Four and The Fall and Shellac and then I make music that tries to sound just like them but fails miserably." Of course you would have to be Dutch. I hate the Dutch.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #356
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
http://boutrosbubba.bandcamp.com/album/band-fight

I say nay. How fitting that you have a collage of retards as your background. I don't know why you play guitars though. You should stop. Guitar music is on the way out. Put some mandolins on there. "Look at me I listen to Gang of Four and The Fall and Shellac and then I make music that tries to sound just like them but fails miserably." Of course you would have to be Dutch. I hate the Dutch.
Hey! Do me next! Do me next!

http://awkwardbodies.bandcamp.com

Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #357
Luke de Spa

Quote:
What's left to explore with any music? What was left to explore in the 90's when Zeppelin and Sabbath and Hendrix had already done it all in the late 60's and 70's? If the bands in the 90's had the attitude of "why bother? we'll never be as good as X or Y band" we would have missed out on a lot of great music.

The Pitchfork-bred idea that all music has to be " innovative " leads to crap hipster bands like Animal Collective. As for Radiohead...come on, King of Limbs is a pile of shit. The band CAN did the exact same sound back in 1969 and 1970 ten times over.
"explore" is a pretty flexible term. way i see it, if i'm interested in playing in a style that's already been done to death (i.e. it's a mature genre, now dominated by cynical regurgitated products like nickelback), i'd want to take the established form and either just do a really damn good job at it, or put a new spin on it somehow. ideally both, but that's a bit of an ask for most writers.

i don't think you could take any of the big early '90s bands and say "well this sounds just like the '70s". the pumpkins are actually a really good example – you can pick a lot of influences, but they melded them all together in such a way that it ended up being unique. but i wasn't talking about broad musical movements in my post; i was talking about your song. perhaps there truly is more unexplored territory in three-chord riff rock land. i probably shouldn't have been categorical about that. but i didn't hear it in your song.

what's pitchfork or radiohead got to do with anything? (have you actually listened to can or are you just trolling?)

Quote:
And you...You're writing the same indie folk music that everyone and their grandmother is doing now. Why would anyone listen to your music over Mumford & Sons or Bon Iver or Fleet Foxes or anyone else who likes to bore people to death? It works both ways, homie. Put a banjo and ukelele or mandolin on there to make me give even less fucks.
i'd certainly not claim that the song i posted was a miraculous reinvention of anything. it's not, and it's not meant to be. i was just trying to write a decent song in a certain style with good lyrics and (i hope) some interesting melodic work + interplay between the lyrics/melody/harmony.

and i'd probably add some banjo but i don't own one.

Quote:
Ultimately I don't really care what decision the listener arrives at. I write and play the kind of music that I want because I like guitar music and that's what I want to hear. I will continue to do so with total disregard for naysayers opinions.
good for you. but you're putting it out in public. what's the purpose of posting it in a thread like this if you don't want people's opinions?

Old 12-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #359
slunken
Virgo

Code:
https://soundcloud.com/mysteryzones/talk-radio-dreams-demo
i worked on this last night while trots and eulogy were arguing. 3/4 of it was recorded on my phone.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #360
slunken
Virgo

i made a short video too