Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2017, 12:46 AM   #61
Ram27
dumb

Thanks for the book rec reprise

"Man's Search for Meaning", written by a doctor who survived Auschwitz. Incredibly beautiful read. Well, incredibly horrible, ofc. Been transfixed for about an hour

Old 12-10-2017, 01:22 AM   #62
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toase View Post

I hate moving books
i'm all, like, "hold still, ya book."

Old 12-10-2017, 02:06 AM   #63
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

nah
it would be great if they moved by themselves

Old 12-10-2017, 02:07 AM   #64
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post

"Man's Search for Meaning", written by a doctor who survived Auschwitz. Incredibly beautiful read. Well, incredibly horrible, ofc. Been transfixed for about an hour
I was reading about Primo Levi today

well

that's it

Old 12-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #65
MarquisInSpades
Banned

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G2...KZ07tpM-1_mDVo

I'll be uploading more of my books in a while.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #66
MarquisInSpades
Banned

also, I'll upload audiobooks on String Theory, in case you need 'em.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #67
FoolofaTook

Today, 10:36 AM MarquisInSpades

This message is hidden because MarquisInSpades is on your ignore list.

Today, 10:37 AM MarquisInSpades

This message is hidden because MarquisInSpades is on your ignore list.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #68
MarquisInSpades
Banned

I REALLY hope this won't be a regular thing.

I still have no idea what you're pissed about. You're being pretty unreasonable yourself.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #69
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I just finished How We Die: Reflections on Life's Final Chapter by Sherwin B. Nuland. Not as morbid as you might think. Author is a doctor and uses previous patients to both teach about how bodily systems fail you but also to sort of talk about empathy and how to help patients facing the end.

Anybody else on Goodreads?

Old 12-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #70
MarquisInSpades
Banned

I'm on Goodreads I'm inactive though.

Last edited by MarquisInSpades : 12-11-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #72
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

that last book is pretty accessible to a mainstream audience. the basic premise is that you can predict how well a product will do based on if it would have fulfilled a survival need while we were hunter gatherers. it is pretty compelling

also "why we lie" by smith is pretty accessible, i got a lot of ideas from that book but it doesn't go into a lot of nitty-gritty which is good for accessibility. it's also a pretty fast read. "why we cooperate" blew my mind about 10 times and it's a tiny book but it requires a lot of background knowledge

Old 12-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #73
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i bought this book to read. i came across it near the end of my research (self deception was my last topic) and didn't use it but i did buy it to read later

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

Old 12-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #74
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post

Oh I just saw this, so glad you started reading it. It is an amazing book, I need to read it again, and it's thankfully pretty brief, because it is so horrible that I do not think it would be stomach-able if it was hundreds and hundreds of pages. I could not get into the second part as much, where he talks about logotherapy. Obviously it hasn't been accepted as a mainstream technique in psychotherapy, but for someone who suffered as profoundly as he did it is absolutely valuable to see how he dealt with what happened to him. Especially the effects of after he was free of the camps, the anger and bitterness at losing everything and the expectation to carry on living and become "normal" again

Old 12-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #75
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i also read this book fairly recently:

it is about harry harlow, who did the experiments with baby monkeys with the wire and cloth monkeys to prove freud wrong that what humans (and monkeys) "love" about their caretaker is comfort and not the fact that they feed them.

harlow did a lot of terrible things to monkeys, things that would not be allowed today. they try to portray him in a balanced way but it is hard to feel for a guy who made literal pits of despair to cause depression in monkeys that they literally never recovered from even when he attempted to rehabilitate them. however, just like from the human experimentation during the holocaust had an effect on medical techniques, we learned so much from harlow's experiments and very many therapies and parenting techniques have come from them. so definitely it is good that we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater even though what these people did was horrible. it also does a good job of showing you where harlow fits among his peers such as maslow, since they were from the same time period

Old 12-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #76
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/21/2a/7c/2...ff420113e9.jpg

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-11-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #77
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Didn't mean for that to be so big.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Carr_(journalist)

Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #78
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTaper View Post
Didn't mean for that to be so big.
i got you bro

Old 12-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #79
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I have an almost-4-month old
been hitting Who Is Smiling pretty heavily lately here

it's good; i like it

Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #80
cork_soaker
full of longing

my daughter, on the other hand, finds the premise "insulting" and the illustrations "woefully inaccurate"

Old 12-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #81
cork_soaker
full of longing

luv her

Old 12-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #82
cork_soaker
full of longing

so much

Old 12-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #83
ilikeplanets
Braindead

is she a lil' angry girl too? if so, i can empathize. so small yet so LOUD and easily insulted

Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #84
ilikeplanets
Braindead

but i cherish her anyway, she really laughs now and it's the best thing i've ever heard

Old 12-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #85
MarquisInSpades
Banned

I read Why We Lie. Really interesting book. I'll read more of what reprise suggested. I'm pretty interested in psychology.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #86
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i bought this book to read. i came across it near the end of my research (self deception was my last topic) and didn't use it but i did buy it to read later

I got my hands on the eBook. This is very interesting. And I love Richard Dawkins dude's a genius.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #87
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
luv her
Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
so much

Old 12-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #88
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I'm reading Around the World 80 Days to my 12 year old. I haven't read it before. It's bloody hilarious.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #89
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i got you bro
Thanks!

Old 12-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #90
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
I got my hands on the eBook. This is very interesting. And I love Richard Dawkins dude's a genius.
Trivers is def. the "self-deception guy" and has been writing about it for like 30 years. However I think some of his hypotheses about self-deception are wrong and I look forward to hearing him explain them more in depth. His views are the mainstream accepted views in evolutionary psychology but doing my thesis I got convinced that his main hypothesis (that we are good at self-deception because it makes us better at other-deception) is lacking and also that the idea that self-deception is a selected for trait as opposed to a byproduct of others cognitive functions is something he never really explains in his papers (at least what I read). Here is the section of my thesis on this topic, if you're interested:

Quote:
Self-deception is somewhat of a philosophical and psychological puzzle. How can one simultaneously deceive and be deceived? Does this ability necessitate that humans have split minds, with some parts of the mind knowing things that other parts do not know? Further, how could deceiving oneself as to the truth be evolutionarily beneficial (Hippel & Trivers (2011); Trivers, 2000; Van Leeuwen 2007)?

Trivers (2000) and von Hippel and Trivers (2011) argue that there are indeed parts of the mind that are conscious to differing degrees, such as explicit and implicit memory systems, explicit and implicit attitudes, and automatic vs. controlled processes. They offer several possible evolutionarily based explanations for the existence of self-deception, the primary one being that an unknowing liar cannot betray that he or she is lying to someone else because he or she will not exhibit common tells to deception such as sweaty palms and changes in voice quality. Additionally, an unknowing liar would not have any negative emotionality about lying, such as might come up if one were doing so intentionally. That is, self-deception exists so that we can deceive others more easily and engage in acts we would normally feel bad about without experiencing cognitive dissonance (the uncomfortable feeling evoked when one holds two conflicting feelings or beliefs) (von Hippel & Trivers, 2011; Trivers, 2000).

Second, Trivers (2000) asserts that we, as social and moral beings, have a need to see ourselves as benevolent servants to others, and create narratives of our lives that help us believe this to be true. He adopts Freudian defense mechanisms such as denial and projection to explain how we engage in self-deception. In this regard, self-deception allows us to specifically deny the intention of doing something wrong when accused of or otherwise faced with the fact that we have gone against these narratives, such as when caught lying, stealing, or otherwise defecting against somebody else. If a person can truthfully claim ignorance of intent to harm somebody else despite the objective truth that his or her behavior has done so, he or she may lessen both the cognitive dissonance felt and the punishment incurred when confronted with this fact, largely preserving the façade of intentional benevolence to themselves and others (Trivers, 2000).

Finally, von Hippel and Trivers (2011) assert that it may be evolutionarily adaptive to have an overly positive view of the self and the future. Indeed, people do tend to have an overly positive view of themselves (Trivers, 2000). Gilovich (1991) reported that, from a survey of one million high school seniors, 70% thought they had above average leadership ability, with 25% endorsing that they were in the top 1%. In a second survey, 94% of college professors endorsed the belief that they were better at their jobs than average (Gilovich, 1991; Mele, 1997). In a separate study, 75 women and 86 men read an article alleging that caffeine was a danger to women in particular and was associated with breast cancer, and that it should be avoided completely. Subjects then reported how much they believed the article. Unsurprisingly, women who drank more caffeine were more skeptical about the article, while those who drank little caffeine were more likely to be believers (Mele, 1997). The men who were exposed to the article did not differ as much on their belief based on how much caffeine they consumed. Presumably, since the (fake) data did not pertain to them, they were less likely to be biased based on their caffeine consumption (Mele, 1997).

Trivers (2000) also acknowledges that overly positive views of the self and external conditions can also be maladaptive, but considers these situations uncommon. For example, disasters such as plane crashes, spacecraft failures, and poor choices during wars are often facilitated by self-deception. In plane crashes such as the crash of Air Florida Flight 90 in 1982, the co-pilot noticed contradictory readings on equipment, but the pilot offered rationalizations for these readings, and the doomed flight took off and subsequently crashed (Trivers, 2000). In another example, NASA knew the Challenger shuttle had defects in essential structures called O-rings and that conditions on launch day were colder than ideal, but the launch went forward despite many members of the ground team (including all 12 O-ring engineers) voting against it. Trivers considered these disasters to be “two-party” and “organizational” self-deception (Trivers, 2000).

Not everyone agrees with the assertion that self-deception is adaptive because it helps us better deceive others. Van Leeuwen (2007) argues that self-deception is not a selected-for adaptation but a byproduct of many other cognitive adaptations, each with their own manifestations of self-deception. First, he believes the manifestations of self-deception are too numerous to be the result of one adaptive module. Second, he points to the obvious fact that self-deception can occur without lying and that lying often occurs without self-deception. Third, he asserts that lying while retaining the truth is more adaptive than self-deception. For example, a person from a nomadic tribe lying about finding food benefits more from lying about it while retaining the truth than deceiving themselves and others that there is no food, even if lying might come with tell-tale signs of deceit, because otherwise they themselves would not be able to go back to the food. Finally, Van Leeuwen contends that it is most often the case that self-deceivers are the only ones who believe their self-deceptions. For example, drivers who have high appraisals of themselves but are really poor drivers are not going to fool passengers that can readily assess the driver’s abilities themselves.

As to Trivers’ other hypotheses about the adaptive value of self-deception, Van Leeuwen questions how Trivers can account for multiple explanations of why self-deception is adaptive without asserting different evolved mechanisms for each hypothesis. That is, self-deception as a means to better other-deception and self-deception as a means of enhanced positive future orientation would require two different evolved behavioral modules, and cannot be accounted for by one overarching theory (Van Leeuwen, 2007).

Van Leeuwen (2007) asserts that self-deception often arises from general tendencies of wishful thinking, avoiding discomfort, the tendency not to question one’s current beliefs, and the awareness that beliefs can become self-fulfilling (and thus a refusal to accept negative beliefs, lest they become true). This is not an exhaustive list and does not necessarily clash with what Trivers asserts as secondary functions of self-deception. Regardless, while Van Leeuwen makes excellent points, Trivers’ hypotheses are currently favored by most psychologists doing research in the field of self-deception (Smith, 2004).

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-12-2017 at 02:14 PM.