Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #151
fuzzyroes
Banned

I think it's a much better show than Breaking Bad. I really appreciate that The Sopranos refrains from indulging in any of the cheap sensationalism that Breaking Bad fell victim to in it's later seasons (that whole sensational train-robbery plot-line in season 5 where Jesse misses getting run over by a train by an inch was beyond ridiculous).

There's just so many priceless, legendary scenes featured in the Sopranos that it's staggering.

My new favorite might just be when Vito's working a real job for the first time in who knows when and he's thinking to himself with his voice over about what time he thinks it is and he's saying "don't look at the watch,it'll ruin the surprise" and he's going on debating what time he thinks it is and then he finally looks at his watch and he's way off. That's just hilarious TV.

Another random point: someone in this thread mentioned that they were off-put by the racism and bigotry in the series, but I actually have to disagree. I think it adds to the authenticity of the story and characters. Could you imagine if all of these cold-blooded Italian mobsters were the beacon of political correctness? It would have been detrimental to the authenticity. So I give HBO props for including it when it would have been easy to cop-out and please the masses.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 08-17-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #152
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
It's ambiguous, but the camera keeps going from third person, to first person from Tony's eyes, and back and forth. And when it goes to black, it is on Tony's perspective. I took that to mean that he was killed/shot. Other people think just nothing happens. Other people think he didn't get killed right there but they were alluding that there were people there to assassinate him.
Ahhh when you put it that way, I think you might be right. That's kinda lame to me then. Why not just show him get his brains blown away and end it there if that's really what they were going for.

But when it shows Tony it shows him looking up once the bell of the door jingles, and the opening of the door would seem to coincide with Meadow coming in from outside the restaurant . It wasn't like he looked up in a panic out of nowhere or something.

I suppose it's probably just one of those scenes where there is no intended "right" answer

Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #153
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post

My new favorite might just be when Vito's working a real job for the first time in who knows when and he's thinking to himself with his voice over about what time he thinks it is and he's saying "don't look at the watch,it'll ruin the surprise" and he's going on debating what time he thinks it is and then he finally looks at his watch and he's way off. That's just hilarious TV.
I enjoyed this scene too but it was far from hilarious.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #154
fuzzyroes
Banned

haha I dunno man, I got a kick out of it.

He's all looking at the sun and debating what time it must be, it's like just look at your watch you stupid idiot! but it's priceless cause almost everyones been there.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #155
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

The Sopranos is definitely better than Breaking Bad. It's the GOAT

top tier is the sopranos, the wire, and six feet under

Old 08-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #156
slunken
Virgo

That's still a pretty shitty list afaik

Old 08-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #157
slunken
Virgo

I mean you might as well say THE ONLY MOVIES I CONSIDER THE GREATEST ARE GODFATHER, SCARFACE, AND STAR WARS

like how not nuanced is that

Old 08-17-2017, 12:31 AM   #158
fuzzyroes
Banned

I dunno man, as far as quality programing go HBO really set a new precedent.

I've actually never seen the Wire or Six Feet Under. Maybe I'll check those out next. I'm thinking of giving Sopranos another watch though. This time in a slower more nuanced manner.

I was originally intending on binge watching The Larry Sanders show next. You guys ever checked out that shit?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:36 AM   #159
slunken
Virgo

yea watch Larry Sanders

Old 08-17-2017, 12:45 AM   #160
fuzzyroes
Banned

Right on. The Slunken seal of approval is certainly a good one.

It's a done deal, it's next up on my viewing schedule.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:28 AM   #161
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i'm almost at the end of season 2.

it gets quite campy in parts, but it's mostly good.

i wish i had more GoT episodes.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #162
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

the wire might be my favourite ever

ok maybe apart from game of thrones

Old 08-18-2017, 12:24 AM   #163
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I actually kind of liked the ending though. But I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly. I look at it like there's no sensational plot twist to end the series. Or are they trying to imply that he gets killed? They kept focusing on that kind of low-life looking white guy who was alone at the diner, almost baiting the audience into thinking he was about to whack Tony, and then they shift over and and focus in on the stereotypical up to no good "urban-street" looking guys. When everything goes black is that supposed to insinuate that he died? That would be dumb.
Quote:
It's ambiguous, but the camera keeps going from third person, to first person from Tony's eyes, and back and forth. And when it goes to black, it is on Tony's perspective. I took that to mean that he was killed/shot. Other people think just nothing happens. Other people think he didn't get killed right there but they were alluding that there were people there to assassinate him.
Couldn't the take-away from that scene simply be that, even when having a pleasant dinner with his wife and kids, the cost of Tony being in his particular line of work is never feeling nor ever really being totally secure.

What happens next isn't always the question and the scene could have just as easily been intended as a play on the "happily ever after" trope.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #164
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
yea watch Larry Sanders

that's a good choice right after the Sopranos too. mix it up.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:36 AM   #165
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
the wire might be my favourite ever

ok maybe apart from game of thrones

Rolling Stone had a top 100 all-time TV show listing. Top 3 were Sopranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad. I'd like to check out the wire sometime, but I'll probably dig into game of thrones before that one at some point.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:48 AM   #166
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it gets quite campy in parts, but it's mostly good.
understatement of the quarter-century

Old 08-18-2017, 12:49 AM   #167
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Couldn't the take-away from that scene simply be that, even when having a pleasant dinner with his wife and kids, the cost of Tony being in his particular line of work is never feeling nor ever really being totally secure.

What happens next isn't always the question and the scene could have just as easily been intended as a play on the "happily ever after" trope.
yes that's a good take as well

Old 08-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #168
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

watched the season 2 finale last night.

what a great episode, with all those bizarre dream sequences that somehow almost feel like real dreams. beautiful work. big pussy taking the form of a fish and the way that whole convo between him and tony went down - great stuff.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:09 PM   #169
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

This what you do instead of go outside

Old 08-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #170
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

H8 the sopranos for misrepresenting my culture and home state

Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #171
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

SPoilers

Quote:
Hey TheB0lly, are you still watching the series? You planning on watching the whole thing?

If so, I'll try and refrain from sharing any major spoilers... But below might kind of be one, so don't look!

I actually kind of liked the ending though. But I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly. I look at it like there's no sensational plot twist to end the series. Or are they trying to imply that he gets killed? They kept focusing on that kind of low-life looking white guy who was alone at the diner, almost baiting the audience into thinking he was about to whack Tony, and then they shift over and and focus in on the stereotypical up to no good "urban-street" looking guys. When everything goes black is that supposed to insinuate that he died? That would be dumb.
Not that there's any one answer on the subject (which is part of the point) but this article gives a pretty excellent overview: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/the-sop...-america-89671

If you've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, the sequence of shots in the diner mirrors the final sequence of that movie, to the same effect

If you're looking for a definitive answer, there's certainly enough evidence to support the notion that Tony was killed and that the creators intended it that way: https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/1147-2/

Old 08-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #172
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
H8 the sopranos for misrepresenting my culture and home state
Get back to me when your city is the butt of every homicide rate or bullet-to-air ratio joke ever made. I.E. "come for the deep dish pizza, stay because you got murdered"

Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #173
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

haha that's a good one

Old 08-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #174
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i just watched the episode where Dr. Melfi got raped.

man. so fucking shitty.

lorraine bracco acted SO well on this. i always liked her but honestly i was stunned, i didn't know she had THAT in her.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #175
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I never got the whole "local pride" (or whatever) thing. Like, "somebody said something mean about where I live!"

So? Who gives a shit?

Old 08-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #176
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It doesn't make a ton of sense when the vast majority of every shitheel you've known most likely hails from the area.

I was only ever a patriot when living overseas.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #177
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
yes that's a good take as well
I tended to agree with Buzz, but then this guy made a very compelling case that he was shot in the diner by the guy who was sitting at the counter. It's hard to argue with the logic.

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.c...on-of-the-end/

Then at the same time to think that he gets whacked right when the journey song ends with the lyrics "Don't Stop". I guess at the least the creator was wanting people to think that he may have been whacked.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #178
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
SPoilers

Not that there's any one answer on the subject (which is part of the point) but this article gives a pretty excellent overview: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/the-sop...-america-89671

If you've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, the sequence of shots in the diner mirrors the final sequence of that movie, to the same effect

If you're looking for a definitive answer, there's certainly enough evidence to support the notion that Tony was killed and that the creators intended it that way: https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/1147-2/
Lol damn, missed this post before my last one... Haven't read that AV club article yet though, gonna check it out.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #179
fuzzyroes
Banned

So B0lly, where you at in the series? How'd you like the Richie Aprile character? I thought he was great. Really good chemistry going on between him and Tony. One of my favorite moments was when Tony pulled him aside at his mothers funeral and asked him "What the hell am I gonna do with you" and Richie all shocked innocently goes W-h-h-haaaatttttttttttttttt? That just cracked me up.

I've been rewatching season 3. I love the Ralphy character too. Any time there's an adversary of Tony's in the clan it leads to great scenes .

Old 09-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #180
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

man it's challenging not to read this thread, cause i know there are probably great insights here.

fuzz i'm at episode 4 of season 5. it's getting so good and compelling, it only seems to get better somehow. tony and carmela's breakup was SO well acted. what an eruption of emotions by Edie Falco, damn i mean that's some of the most convincing acting i'd seen. and Gandolfini is strong too.

also, tony's dreams are one of my favorite parts of the show. wish there were more. not long ago i was watching the episode where tony has that nightmare about being a farmer in the 1950's or something and knocking on the door of a seemingly vacant victorian house. then a dark, incredibly distressing figure resembling his mother comes down the stares and stares at him. that creeped me out way more than any recent horror film i can recall.

https://i.imgur.com/qqyeGsx.png