Old 07-29-2017, 11:11 PM   #122
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

watched first 2 eps of The Sopranos again last night

man i forgot how fucking insufferable that opening sequence is

Old 07-29-2017, 11:51 PM   #123
Shallowed
Braindead

It doesn't particularly sound like something Tony would put on the jukebox before he gets assassinated and his world turns black.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:59 AM   #124
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Looking forward to hearing fuzzy's thoughts about that final scene.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #125
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Don't stop

Old 07-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #126
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

believin

Old 07-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #127
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Finally got around to watching this in 2013. Finished a few days before James Gandolfini died, it was rather uncanny. IMO the 6th season makes the most poignant statement on life, death, and morality of any work of fiction I've seen. It's an odd show. It's extremely male-centric but in being so also makes little points about the sorts of problems that arise when the "fuck it or kill it" drive runs the world unchecked.

Even when Ralphie is just beating strippers to death and quoting Gladiator there's this juxtaposition with Tony's daughter and how we morally regard people we know versus those we have no immediate or practical connection with. Although sometimes it's just people being horrible without any apparent semblance of meditation or deeper meaning on whatever is being depicted. To be honest, though, the show's greatest strength is that it never moralizes or or proselytizes on whatever subject is being focused on.

If The Sopranos has a glaring weakness, it's obtuseness on race and gender. Not that the showrunner is racist, sexist, or heterosexist, but it's hard to make serious commentary on those issues when every character is dropping sophomoric one-liners about gay sex (the gay Vito subplot, specifically). Yeah I know we're suppose to be viewing these characters through a critical lense but after hours and hours of Italian colloquialisms about gays it's hard to take the overall point, if there is one, seriously.

But yeah overall it's a phenomenal show, although women probably won't find very much to relate to

Old 07-30-2017, 04:01 PM   #128
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
He was really trying to tell you that Breaking Bad totally ripped off The Sopranos because the antihero trope is a thing??
Quite simply, Without Tony Soprano there is no Walter White - Bryan Cranston

Old 07-31-2017, 05:32 PM   #129
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
Finally got around to watching this in 2013. Finished a few days before James Gandolfini died
Jeez man, spoiler alert!

Old 07-31-2017, 09:36 PM   #130
fuzzyroes
Banned

The dead-pan nature of The Sopranos is great. There's a lot of little details that aren't really meant to be all that notable that are hilarious.

One of my favorite scenes of season 5 is when Furio brings over gifts from Italy for Tonys children. If you notice the first gift that Carmela pulls out is for Meadow and Furio spelled it "Maedo" on the package and it's just this tiny little book. And then the gift for Anthony Jr's just this little carved wooden keychain of a smiling man in a tuxedo and top-hat. Then later on Carmellas all "Anthony Jr just loved that little man you got him!" haha

Old 08-03-2017, 11:30 AM   #131
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i'm 3 episodes into the first season of the sopranos. my second time trying it after not getting it years ago.

i'm so moved by how fucking great and nuanced this show is, absolutely blown away. the level of subtlety they master in a variety of ways - acting, writing, directing, editing - is just a beautiful thing to watch. really hope this level doesn't drop in upcoming seasons.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #132
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

fucking nuanced

Old 08-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #133
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

so fucking subtle bro

Old 08-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #134
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

seriously i watched like 3 straight episodes last night, can't even say when was the last time i binged a show like that. great, great stuff.

man, james gandolfini.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #135
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah buddy, I've been binge watching it for like a month now. So many great acting performances. I look forward to watching it a second time and doing so at a slower pace so it can all sink in a little better.

On another note, man.... It's so weird to think that the guy who played Christopher is 51 years old now. I mean, I realize that the shows fairly old now (though you couldn't tell by how well it's aged) but I thought I was he way younger at the time when they filmed the show.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #136
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

The psychologist character isn't something I've seen before on TV

Old 08-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #137
fuzzyroes
Banned

She's kind of one of the few characters I don't really like. I just don't really buy how she comes across. She's always all monotone and stuff.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #138
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
She's kind of one of the few characters I don't really like. I just don't really buy how she comes across. She's always all monotone and stuff.
I'm attracted to her monotone! Haha

Old 08-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #139
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

her interactions with Tony are pretty good, from a psychology standpoint. obviously they have a compromised relationship from the start since he can't be honest with her... which, i won't go any further with this because of spoilers. it wouldn't work irl because of that but they do address this in the show in some way in the later seasons. but just as a generally client/therapist push-pull thing it's not a bad representation. the one thing that DOES REALLY IRK me is that she is actually a psychiatrist and not a psychologist, yet she is in an office with no medical equipment whatsoever, and the series treats her as a psychologist. so either she's a psychiatrist who practices therapy, which is rare but does happen, who has no medical equipment and orders no tests ever (not even a scale in her office), or she's a psychologist who can prescribe medicine, which only is allowed in a few states with special training, and NJ is not one of them. and at the time of the show i don't think there were any states

Last edited by reprise85 : 08-08-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #140
fuzzyroes
Banned

Heh, nice call. I didn't even think about that

Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #141
fuzzyroes
Banned

There's this hilarious scene in season 6 with AJ working at Blockbuster video and he and the co-worker are just chatting on the phone, nonchalantly dropping F bombs right in front of the customers. Cracked me up cause it was a spitting image of me and a co-worker when I was younger and when I worked in an electronics department. We'd drop F-bombs at the counter all of the time without even realizing it and one lady even freaked out about it once haha.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #142
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

When Tony killed that guy in season 1 on the road trip to colleges with Meadow
I stopped watching. I didn't like Tony anymore
In my eyes he went from 'anti hero' to flat out villain

Old 08-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #143
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
There's this hilarious scene in season 6 with AJ working at Blockbuster video and he and the co-worker are just chatting on the phone, nonchalantly dropping F bombs right in front of the customers. Cracked me up cause it was a spitting image of me and a co-worker when I was younger and when I worked in an electronics department. We'd drop F-bombs at the counter all of the time without even realizing it and one lady even freaked out about it once haha.
where i work we do this all the time. i try not to in front of customers but it slips out sometimes. no one cares at all. other people do it in front of customers all the time. no one cares, never heard a complaint. and this is how it's been at any place i've ever worked. the only people who don't curse constantly are (some of) the minors

Old 08-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #144
fuzzyroes
Banned

Lol yeah, I guess it isn't a big deal. But people seem to take it worse when it's just a couple of young loser guys doing it.

Lol but man, I miss video-stores and CD stores and the whole culture of em. This online shopping cruds gotta go. Brick and mortars where it's at.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #145
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
where i work we do this all the time. i try not to in front of customers but it slips out sometimes. no one cares at all. other people do it in front of customers all the time. no one cares, never heard a complaint. and this is how it's been at any place i've ever worked. the only people who don't curse constantly are (some of) the minors
WE NOTICE AND WE CARE AND WE DON'T LIKE IT

Old 08-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #146
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Lol yeah, I guess it isn't a big deal. But people seem to take it worse when it's just a couple of young loser guys doing it.
for sure, i get where you were going with it. didn't mean to be bitchy about it, i just read over it and it sounds that way.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:51 AM   #147
buzzard
Minion of Satan

One of my favorite pastimes is writing screenplays for would-be Adam Sandler movies and, once I'm done with the one in which a failed relationship leaves him floundering in an increasingly competitive real estate market and forces him to seize upon the opportunity to disguise himself as his recently-deceased great-uncle immediately before a planned move to a mid-tier retirement village, I plan to start work on one inspired by fuzzyroes that'll have Mr. Sandler running for mayor of a small town on a nostalgia platform complete with bans on all technology from the cellphone onwards.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:47 PM   #148
fuzzyroes
Banned

Haha that actually has potential and I can seriously envision Sandler playing a role like that.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #149
fuzzyroes
Banned

Hey TheB0lly, are you still watching the series? You planning on watching the whole thing?

If so, I'll try and refrain from sharing any major spoilers... But below might kind of be one, so don't look!

I actually kind of liked the ending though. But I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly. I look at it like there's no sensational plot twist to end the series. Or are they trying to imply that he gets killed? They kept focusing on that kind of low-life looking white guy who was alone at the diner, almost baiting the audience into thinking he was about to whack Tony, and then they shift over and and focus in on the stereotypical up to no good "urban-street" looking guys. When everything goes black is that supposed to insinuate that he died? That would be dumb.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #150
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

It's ambiguous, but the camera keeps going from third person, to first person from Tony's eyes, and back and forth. And when it goes to black, it is on Tony's perspective. I took that to mean that he was killed/shot. Other people think just nothing happens. Other people think he didn't get killed right there but they were alluding that there were people there to assassinate him.