Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #91
Elphenor
Braindead

I just wonder if Corgans poetry book sucked because it was written by New Age Corgan

Call me dumb but I feel like Corgan could have written some enjoyable poetry at his peak creativity

Nothing that scholars wouldn't scoff at but enjoyable nonetheless

Old 01-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #92
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
10 copies will be sold
That's ten more copies than Thoreau sold of Walden before he died of a broken heart.

Just sayin'.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #93
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
10 copies will be sold
nah it will sell fairly well, probably better than his last few albums. there are so many b-list celebrities who have profited from tell alls and memoirs, I don't know why his would be different. Especially because he is a contentious figure, people will want to read this (or at least think they do enough to purchase it) and you will also get a lot of fans who haven't listened to his music in 20 years pick up a copy, etc. I think he's going to make a nice buck off the book if he can finish it and I don't know what's with all the doubt that anyone will buy it.... remember no one has to finish reading it for him to have made a sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I just wonder if Corgans poetry book sucked because it was written by New Age Corgan

Call me dumb but I feel like Corgan could have written some enjoyable poetry at his peak creativity

Nothing that scholars wouldn't scoff at but enjoyable nonetheless
If you come at the poetry book from the angle of like reading his lyrics, some of the poems are pretty interesting and poignant... better than most of the lyrics he's penned since then.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #94
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

A TWIXT

Old 01-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #95
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

TEH TWINE

Old 01-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #96
T&T
Socialphobic

shitpost:

fuck you B∅lly C∅rgan, B∅B∅ the clown

Old 01-14-2016, 12:32 AM   #97
redbreegull

If the dream is gone
Good! then let it die
I'd rather tumble from my window
To ground wet and hard with rain
Knowing you were waiting for me
Hearing the gravel scrape under our feet
Counting long seconds between cars passing
To cross the road giddy with freedom
There is something about your face
Lit up by the station lights
That inspires me to reach out past you
and this moment
And try to take you with me
I know you won't come
This town has already killed you
and it's my desire in your eyes

Old 01-14-2016, 12:47 AM   #98
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
nah it will sell fairly well, probably better than his last few albums. there are so many b-list celebrities who have profited from tell alls and memoirs, I don't know why his would be different. Especially because he is a contentious figure, people will want to read this (or at least think they do enough to purchase it) and you will also get a lot of fans who haven't listened to his music in 20 years pick up a copy, etc. I think he's going to make a nice buck off the book if he can finish it and I don't know what's with all the doubt that anyone will buy it.... remember no one has to finish reading it for him to have made a sale.
You're definitely right. But It's not going to be a tell all if he's going to be using fake names and imaginary people while he's describing his life. The general publics gonna have no interest in that kinda shit, let alone all the mythology crap.

Billy Corgan writing a straight ahead memoir of his life would land on the top sellers list, but the kinda angle he's takings gonna turn everyone off. People want the juice and entertainment reading about his run ins with other known figures- if he takes out all other identities in his story it'll make for a headache of a read.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:51 AM   #99
fuzzyroes
Banned

That's the brilliance of any musicians memoirs, the dialogues between the musicians they work with and the other public figures that they deal with in life. It's the behind the scenes, straight from the horses mouth detail on "what really happened".

If you don't actually explain what really happened it's not even really a memoir.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:52 AM   #100
fuzzyroes
Banned

but of course Corgans the kind of guy to wanna tip toe around everything, not actually go and tell it as it is

Old 01-14-2016, 12:53 AM   #101
redbreegull

Yeah you're right, but from his description it really seems like he's just writing a memoir that is going to ******* a lot of spiritual nonsense and self-indulgent cogitating on what kind of narrative he wants to build around his life events. I would expect it to be more or less a memoir. And it certainly won't be marketed as Billy Corgan's mythological fantasy vision of his own life.

Neil Young's book Waging Heavy Peace was kind of like this in a way. it was like listening to an old man tell a lot of random out of order stories about his life and interests and beliefs. Except Neil Young is a real standup guy and his book was interesting. Corgan's will probably be extremely self-indulgent and hard to get through.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:58 AM   #102
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Yeah you're right, but from his description it really seems like he's just writing a memoir that is going to ******* a lot of spiritual nonsense and self-indulgent cogitating on what kind of narrative he wants to build around his life events. I would expect it to be more or less a memoir. And it certainly won't be marketed as Billy Corgan's mythological fantasy vision of his own life.

Neil Young's book Waging Heavy Peace was kind of like this in a way. it was like listening to an old man tell a lot of random out of order stories about his life and interests and beliefs. Except Neil Young is a real standup guy and his book was interesting. Corgan's will probably be extremely self-indulgent and hard to get through.
I'm a casual Neil Young fan and was pretty excited for his book, but once I got it from the library it was a real grind to get through... I didn't even complete it before I couldn't renew it any longer.

I mean us hardcore fans will probably love the memoir cause we'll likely be able to piece things together. I just think on a larger scale it might be a flop. If all the reviews come out bashing it none of the casual music nerds will even bother with it.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:00 AM   #103
fuzzyroes
Banned

People just want the dirt, and I can't really blame em.

If there was some musician I kind of had an interest in with a new book coming out but all of the stories featured were with made up people... it would no doubt be a deal breaker... I wouldn't even bother with it.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:27 AM   #104
redbreegull

really? I breezed through that book. I thought it was all pretty interesting except that incessant harping about his electric car and his pono. I thought his narrative voice was really funny and very down to earth, and I also thought it gave really interesting insight into why he is the artist he is. He seems really torn up inside by a lot of things from his past, lost friends, etc. and keeps himself busy 100% of the time because he can't contend with it. I also didn't realize all the hardships he had been through with his family and such either. Pretty good read.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:28 AM   #105
redbreegull

and the contrary I do not expect to like Billy Corgan's book and I will only buy it if it's in the nook store for like $2

Old 01-14-2016, 05:30 AM   #106
ButterflyBullet
Demi-God

Weren't people worried this was going to be gibberish like most of the song descriptions in the Gish reissue booklet

Old 01-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #107
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I mean us hardcore fans will probably love the memoir
really? that seems unlikely to me.
i'm surprised anyone's even considering reading the thing, if it ever comes out.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #108
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:

If you come at the poetry book from the angle of like reading his lyrics, some of the poems are pretty interesting and poignant... better than most of the lyrics he's penned since then.

Are you joking?? Bestselling books in Australia last year were 2 books written for kids (72 Story Treehouse and another instalment of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series) and in the adults literature category...colouring books were #1, followed by cookbooks.

Sales overall were still poor and in decline.

Books are dead.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #109
Cool As Ice Cream

but billy will change the book industry. revolution. it will be absolutely groundbreaking. shifting the paradigm. integrity.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #110
bobliefeld
Pledge

Maybe he'll reveal the truth about Carry Hope killing Kevin Cocaine? That'd grab headlines and get him some sales.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #111
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Quote:
If the dream is gone
Good! then let it die
I'd rather tumble from my window
To ground wet and hard with rain
Knowing you were waiting for me
Hearing the gravel scrape under our feet
Counting long seconds between cars passing
To cross the road giddy with freedom
https://atariage.com/development/scr..._Frogger_1.png
There is something about your face
Lit up by the station lights
That inspires me to reach out past you
and this moment
And try to take you with me
I know you won't come
This town has already killed you
and it's my desire in your eyes

Misspent youth, shakin' off a
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Yctn3OP4vQ8/hqdefault.jpg

Old 01-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #112
Morlock
Ownz

The first draft will be 2000 pages of the drivel he produced for his God isd Everywhere website.
I can't imagine Billy of today writing anything interesting or witty. Or honest.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #113
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
really? I breezed through that book. I thought it was all pretty interesting except that incessant harping about his electric car and his pono. I thought his narrative voice was really funny and very down to earth, and I also thought it gave really interesting insight into why he is the artist he is. He seems really torn up inside by a lot of things from his past, lost friends, etc. and keeps himself busy 100% of the time because he can't contend with it. I also didn't realize all the hardships he had been through with his family and such either. Pretty good read.
I dunno dude, it was one of the most scatterbrained, longwinded rock bio's that I've ever read... And I don't have a problem with long-winded really (I loved Clapton and Keith Richards books. a lot of my acquaintances didn't bother getting thru those).

Although I did start reading it in the summer when I had a lot more going on... Maybe I just didn't sink my teeth into it enough. But still, it seemed all over the place with a kind of stream of consciousness approach which I didn't find all that enduring.

I mean one minute he's rambling on about pono, then he's telling some old yarn about touring, then he's rambling on about model trains. He's got a charming way of explaining stuff, but it's a grind

Old 01-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #114
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
really? that seems unlikely to me.
i'm surprised anyone's even considering reading the thing, if it ever comes out.
lol riiiiiiiiiiiightttttttttttt. I bet all of us nerds will go out, get it and dive right in

Old 01-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #115
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock View Post
The first draft will be 2000 pages of the drivel he produced for his God isd Everywhere website.
I can't imagine Billy of today writing anything interesting or witty. Or honest.
I was one of the few people who actually enjoyed his spiritual blog. He's a bright guy, and it's always more interesting when he pours his heart out rather than trying to sell records

Old 01-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #116
TheAeroplane
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
but billy will change the book industry. revolution. it will be absolutely groundbreaking. shifting the paradigm. integrity.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:24 AM   #117
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
lol riiiiiiiiiiiightttttttttttt. I bet all of us nerds will go out, get it and dive right in
i don't think so.
i don't even think i'd read it if it was for free.

he should've continued his "confessions". that had some good stuff.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:56 AM   #118
Titty Boi
Pledge

i think you'd buy it to be a completist. don't lie.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #119
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Are you joking?? Bestselling books in Australia last year were 2 books written for kids (72 Story Treehouse and another instalment of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series) and in the adults literature category...colouring books were #1, followed by cookbooks.

Sales overall were still poor and in decline.

Books are dead.
australia is not the stick by which anything literary will ever be measured

although according to Harvard there is apparently no available method to calculate overall book sales, I think a lot more people still buy books than buy music. We still have actual bookstores all over the place and while their numbers have shrunk, there are no more music specific stores. Wait and see, there's a reason every vaguely recognizable figure in music has a memoir out now, and it's not cause they all love writing so much. There's $$$ to made.

Quote:
I dunno dude, it was one of the most scatterbrained, longwinded rock bio's that I've ever read... And I don't have a problem with long-winded really (I loved Clapton and Keith Richards books. a lot of my acquaintances didn't bother getting thru those).

Although I did start reading it in the summer when I had a lot more going on... Maybe I just didn't sink my teeth into it enough. But still, it seemed all over the place with a kind of stream of consciousness approach which I didn't find all that enduring.

I mean one minute he's rambling on about pono, then he's telling some old yarn about touring, then he's rambling on about model trains. He's got a charming way of explaining stuff, but it's a grind
I'm generally not interested in what musicians have to say past stage banter or interviews, usually things can only go south when they are left to their own devices. But I love Neil Young so much, I couldn't not read the book. I've never read any other rock bios so I can't compare, I was just really fascinated by it. Some of the stories are so gold, like when he got (maybe Frank Sinatra's daughter?) to come home with him and his cat had taken 500 shits all over his house.

I wished there had been a bit more about actually writing and recording music, but his primary focus was the relationships and his life and that was cool.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #120
myosis
Minion of Satan

does anyone think it will be properly edited?