Braindead

I've just been watching the numbers rise again in a slow but predictable horror

Old 06-30-2020, 05:28 AM   #242
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTaper View Post
Hell yeah, you know you're messin' up when Spider from Powerman 5000 calls you out. Oh you wanted to see Nonpoint? Too bad! Frickin' Sconnie geez.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/her...acklash-144895

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/25/us/wi...rnd/index.html

The Electric Blockaloo isn’t the only festival that’s rebranded itself this week. Herd Immunity Fest in Ringle, Wis., is now known as the “July Mini Fest” after attracting a slew of negative attention for its name, including Nonpoint backing out from performing.

Herd immunity “refers to a point at which so many people gain immunity to a virus, either through natural infections or vaccinations, that the overall risk of new infections becomes very low,” according to LiveScience.com. Presumably, the joke with the festival was that attendees in close quarters at the event would purposely catch COVID-19 and thus gain immunity – a direct contrast to the rest of the music industry which has shut down mass gatherings in hopes of fans avoiding passing along the coronavirus.

The July 16-18 event at the Q&Z Expo Center in Ringle features 15 bands including Static-X, Adelitas Way, Dope, Bobaflex, Versus Me and Thunderstruck.

Powerman 5000 frontman Spider One took to social media to call out some of the bands on the lineup, tweeting June 23, “A bunch of bands that I consider peers and some friends are partaking in a show called “herd immunity fest”, which by that title is basically saying to their fans, come see us and we hope you get sick. What the actual fuck??”

Nonpoint replied June 24, “Hey brother. Nonpoint is not playing because of the way the festival is named. We have dropped off.”

The festival has since abandoned the name and posted updates on social media assuring fans that the capacity for the festival had taken social distancing into consideration.

“For the record the venues land can accommodate up to 10,000 occupancy,” the festival posted on Facebook June 24. “This is an OUTDOOR EVENT for 3 Days. We are only selling 20% of that so anyone has the choice and ability to social distance. The Festival is also not called ‘Herd Immunity’ and the name no longer tied to any of our social media or promotion.”

Another post referenced the backlash over the original name and declared, “Enough with the media hype and back to the show! This is going to be an awesome 3 days of rock. Tickets keep selling and are not stopping. See you at the show!!”

Three-day passes are priced at $105.50, including overnight parking, and available via Eventbrite. Single-day tickets are not being sold.

Wisconsin has 25,763 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 and 757 deaths, according to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services as of June 24. Wisconsin Public Radio reports “22 counties in the state have a ‘high’ COVID-19 activity level – a designation based on a county's number of cases per 100,000 residents over the past 14 days, and the extent to which that case rate is increasing.” Marathon country, which includes Ringle, is listed as high activity.

The county has 130 positive cases, with 6,125 confirmed negative cases and 1 resident death, according to the Marathon County Health Department.

Wow I've only heard of Static-X from these. So out of touch! Will check em all out, they look amazing

Old 06-30-2020, 05:30 AM   #243
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

plus, I've been listening to 107,5 The Rock for 15 minutes and I don't think I ever want to listen to anything else again!

Old 06-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #244
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Wow I've only heard of Static-X from these. So out of touch! Will check em all out, they look amazing
The bands I've honestly heard of;

Sponge - I liked Rotting Piñata from 1994 & some songs off the second album
Static X - haven't heard anything after Wisconsin Death Trip
Dope - really crappy debut album from 1999. They opened a show for some other more popular crappy bands at the time

Old 06-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #245
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

adelita's way played in my hometown like a year ago I think

mostly in disbelief that that flyer is from 2020

Old 06-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #246
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTaper View Post
The bands I've honestly heard of;

Sponge - I liked Rotting Piñata from 1994 & some songs off the second album
Static X - haven't heard anything after Wisconsin Death Trip
Dope - really crappy debut album from 1999. They opened a show for some other more popular crappy bands at the time
Wait, Sponge is playing this? I guess that's appropriate. How else are they gonna clean up afterwards?

Old 06-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #247
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Definitely saw Bobaflex glommed onto various metal tours in the 2000s. They're fucking awful. I love the idea that someone could contract and then pass away from Covid-19 at a reunion show for a band that literally no one ever liked.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #248
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ok

Old 06-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #249
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Lol @ Matisse font.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:40 AM   #250
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Every time I write a heavy riff, I'm terrified that I sound more like what one of those bands on the list probably sound like than stuff I actually like.

I mean, nu-metal and metalcore bands were probably brought up on some of the same stuff I like. And look how they turned out.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #251
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Wisconsin Death Trip to played in it's entirety at the Herd Immunity Festival in Wisconsin.

Seriously though, I hope no one dies, especially the elderly parents or grandparents of any of the dumb fucks going to this.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:21 PM   #252
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Smile

dang. a movie from 1999. old skool!

Old 06-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #253
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Eyes Wide Shut? i'm there!

Old 06-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #254
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Every time I write a heavy riff, I'm terrified that I sound more like what one of those bands on the list probably sound like than stuff I actually like.

I mean, nu-metal and metalcore bands were probably brought up on some of the same stuff I like. And look how they turned out.
Yeah, I get that. I cut my geetar teeth playing along to bands like Korn, so I am forever cursed.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #255
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
Eyes Wide Shut? i'm there!
I thought we were talking about Being John Malkovich?

Old 06-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #256
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
ok
I think I saw you in the crowd at a Hoobastank show once.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #257
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I've just been watching the numbers rise again in a slow but predictable horror
Predictable, I know. I remember thinking, don't think it's over just because the current numbers are pretty right now in May. Stopped looking at the daily national figures weeks ago because it said 0 active cases, day in, day out. Now I watch the numbers climbing day after day locally. While predictable, it feels dreadful. 2020 already feels like one of the longest years of my life. Part of me would like to speed up the disaster. Real ugly and fast versus mildly ugly and slow... Careful what you wish for and all that, but Jesus Fucking Christ, I'm mentally exhausted.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #258
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Mandatory masks are over and done with here. You'd think people learned a thing or two since March, a fullblown lockdown, mandatory masks, suspended public transport and what have you. But no, I get scolded, belittled, and even yelled at by complete strangers for still wearing a mask in grocery stores. Are you fucking kidding me.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #259
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

around DC people are pretty good about masks. Every public building, store, etc i've been in everyone has been wearing masks. The company i work for won't let customers in our buildings without them.

The only place here that I see people without masks is on the National Mall and the parks.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #260
ilikeplanets
Braindead

It's completely the opposite here

Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #261
ilikeplanets
Braindead

It's like you have to defend yourself for wearing a mask.
"Oh sorry, I live with members of two different high risk groups of people so I need to be careful."

Old 06-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #262
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I've only had, like, one person in memory criticize me for wearing a mask. "You're crazy, you should get some fresh air." I was like, okay, that's weird, why does he care? But that was one guy, so I promptly forgot about him.

I can't imagine a culture where this attitude is significant. It seems to be one of those "only in America" things. Who knows, maybe in other countries with Trump-like leaders who have similar agendas. But here, there may be people who are against wearing masks themselves, but I've encountered only one who demands that other people don't.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #263
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

My town in Texas went from probably 1 in 20 wearing masks to 9 out of 10. Surprised and very appreciative.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:24 PM   #264
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Dirty looks and comments regarding a mask are incredibly stupid, but it isn't new to me. I wear a mask in crowded areas during flu season annually. I just cannot fucking believe wearing a mask has become politicized to this level. Local acquaintances/casual friends of mine are blowing up Facebook detailing loopholes and arguments to avoid wearing the mandatory masks.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #265
ovary
Ownz

well i have a bit of a sore throat so i am quarantining in our sunporch until the test comes back. i think it is an allergy issue but better safe than sorry.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #266
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
My town in Texas went from probably 1 in 20 wearing masks to 9 out of 10. Surprised and very appreciative.
Survivorship bias. RIP those first dumb fucks.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #267
run2pee
Minion of Satan

It’s fun doing wild eyes over the top of masks at anyone without masks

Nobody’s said jackshit to me but i have had some dirty looks and gosh let me tell u all i have some really wild eyes i can do, b/c of a condition i have where it’s called ive been diagnosed with i do microhits in the garage most all day and allofthenites, to where their so red and lookin different ways and encircled by the darkness that it looks credibly like i could probably be ready to do crimes up to and including eating my own skinflesh, right there in front of em im so wild and insanely excited that i get to just go off and start eating my own shit b/c they chose to decide to come in the takeout store with no mask on their fat dumb selves

Old 07-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #268
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Republican politicians are starting to change their tune on masks now that white people are dying

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN24027P

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 07-01-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #269
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I'm sure they can close enough inner-city polling stations and throw out enough valid ballots to offset that.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:05 AM   #270
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Wow. I work a public-facing job and have only had one person throw a hissy fit because I was infringing on their civil liberties by asking them to wear a mask before entering the bank. I feel blessed by comparison when I read some of the other testimonies in here.