Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2020, 12:53 AM   #1
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Default COVID-19 #2 The Mutation

Like you can talk about science in here and stuff but also politics and whatever related to COVID, just try to keep the other thread free of shitposting please.

Original thread for posterity: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187716

Old 05-22-2020, 12:55 AM   #2
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

also:

Old 05-22-2020, 03:57 AM   #3
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

well so much for not shitposting

Old 05-22-2020, 04:57 AM   #4
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Seriously?

Old 05-22-2020, 07:19 AM   #5
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

The dude on the left is knocking on an invisible door.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
yo soy el mejor

just the facts, ma'am

Old 05-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
ovary
Ownz

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...l-roubini.html

The economist (and host of a biweekly economic news broadcast) does expect things to get better before they get worse: He foresees a slow, lackluster (i.e., “U-shaped”) economic rebound in the pandemic’s immediate aftermath. But he insists that this recovery will quickly collapse beneath the weight of the global economy’s accumulated debts. Specifically, Roubini argues that the massive private debts accrued during both the 2008 crash and COVID-19 crisis will durably depress consumption and weaken the short-lived recovery. Meanwhile, the aging of populations across the West will further undermine growth while increasing the fiscal burdens of states already saddled with hazardous debt loads. Although deficit spending is necessary in the present crisis, and will appear benign at the onset of recovery, it is laying the kindling for an inflationary conflagration by mid-decade. As the deepening geopolitical rift between the United States and China triggers a wave of deglobalization, negative supply shocks akin those of the 1970s are going to raise the cost of real resources, even as hyperexploited workers suffer perpetual wage and benefit declines. Prices will rise, but growth will peter out, since ordinary people will be forced to pare back their consumption more and more. Stagflation will beget depression. And through it all, humanity will be beset by unnatural disasters, from extreme weather events wrought by man-made climate change to pandemics induced by our disruption of natural ecosystems.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #8
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovary View Post

The economist (and host of a biweekly economic news broadcast) does expect things to get better before they get worse: He foresees a slow, lackluster (i.e., “U-shaped”) economic rebound in the pandemic’s immediate aftermath. But he insists that this recovery will quickly collapse beneath the weight of the global economy’s accumulated debts. Specifically, Roubini argues that the massive private debts accrued during both the 2008 crash and COVID-19 crisis will durably depress consumption and weaken the short-lived recovery. Meanwhile, the aging of populations across the West will further undermine growth while increasing the fiscal burdens of states already saddled with hazardous debt loads. Although deficit spending is necessary in the present crisis, and will appear benign at the onset of recovery, it is laying the kindling for an inflationary conflagration by mid-decade. As the deepening geopolitical rift between the United States and China triggers a wave of deglobalization, negative supply shocks akin those of the 1970s are going to raise the cost of real resources, even as hyperexploited workers suffer perpetual wage and benefit declines. Prices will rise, but growth will peter out, since ordinary people will be forced to pare back their consumption more and more. Stagflation will beget depression. And through it all, humanity will be beset by unnatural disasters, from extreme weather events wrought by man-made climate change to pandemics induced by our disruption of natural ecosystems.
My brain read this like Pee-Wee giving a basement rant under a lone, harsh light.

Last edited by Ol' Couch Ass : 05-22-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...l-roubini.html

well that is bleak as fuck isn't it

Old 05-22-2020, 08:49 PM   #10
yo soy el mejor

that's a big paragraph. many words and sentences smashed together. think about your audience. like, i could read all those words if they were spaced in a thoughtful way. the text on netphoria is much smaller than the site you may have gotten that from. ack! mine eyes.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:58 AM   #11
ovary
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
that's a big paragraph. many words and sentences smashed together. think about your audience. like, i could read all those words if they were spaced in a thoughtful way. the text on netphoria is much smaller than the site you may have gotten that from. ack! mine eyes.
good luck in grad school

Old 05-23-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
good luck in grad school
right cause i'm sure everything i read will be just like ur posts on netphoria. same forum background color and font and everything, too

Old 05-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #13
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Poll: will massive amounts of guns protect me from the covids?
1. yes
2. yes
3. spa_cedsslol

Old 05-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #14
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Even though forecasting the global economy is the most interesting part of economics to us laypeople, my understanding is that very little scholarship in the field is devoted to that, and that most economists don't presume to be able to predict how the entire world economy will look in a few years. Instead, they devote their attention to more bounded questions.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #15
ovary
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Even though forecasting the global economy is the most interesting part of economics to us laypeople, my understanding is that very little scholarship in the field is devoted to that, and that most economists don't presume to be able to predict how the entire world economy will look in a few years. Instead, they devote their attention to more bounded questions.
well, yeah, you could say something similar about any academic field.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #16
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
well, yeah, you could say something similar about any academic field.
Yes, most marine biologists don't presume to be able to predict how the entire world economy will look in a few years, either.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:55 PM   #17
ovary
Ownz

they also don't research what the whole ocean will look like in 5 years, but if i wanted an answer to that question i would trust a marine biologist over other voices.

either way the economy is fucked. as someone generally in favor of degrowth tho, hard to get too upset abt it. i have been thinking degrowth is inevitable, and since there is zero chance of policy makers moving that direction thoughtfully/deliberately, itll have to be a painful process.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #18
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
they also don't research what the whole ocean will look like in 5 years, but if i wanted an answer to that question i would trust a marine biologist over other voices.

either way the economy is fucked. as someone generally in favor of degrowth tho, hard to get too upset abt it. i have been thinking degrowth is inevitable, and since there is zero chance of policy makers moving that direction thoughtfully/deliberately, itll have to be a painful process.
I don't think growth in itself is the problem. Economic growth refers to the increase of value in an economy. You can increase value without necessarily increasing resource inputs or pollution. For example, new technologies or practices that increase efficiency.

It's the difference between intensive and extensive growth.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #19
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

he's white! You don't need to have any basic humanity in you to deal with his shit!

Old 05-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #20
redbreegull

You sure he’s white? I’m getting no readings from the board’s EWHDA (early warning honky detection apparatus)

Old 05-25-2020, 05:25 PM   #21
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Can't imagine why the KKK and Nazis love this government

Quote:

Old 05-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #22
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Human Capital Stock

Old 05-25-2020, 06:59 PM   #23
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Can we get you to flesh that out a little?

Old 05-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #24
ovary
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Can we get you to flesh that out a little?
i'll flesh you out

Old 05-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #25
FoolofaTook

Old 05-25-2020, 07:11 PM   #26
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

one of my friends tested positive for COVID. She's ok right now but sick at home. She's a nurse and midwife. But she's been around a lot of COVID patients.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #27
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I hope that involves fattening foods and an expanding waistline. Hear you've got chickens.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #28
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

AMERICA IS NOW GREAT

Old 05-26-2020, 02:42 PM   #29
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
AMERICA IS NOW GREAT

man Idiocracy wasn't that much ahead of its time after all