Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #3631
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
His solo on Siva fucking SLAYED. I wish I had recorded it because that's probably the best version of that song I've ever heard. Simply unreal.

>>>

Old 07-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #3632
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I don't want to write a super long review because we have so many good videos from this tour already, so here is my short take:

4/5 stars
If you are going to see a celebration of the original SP with a lot of work put into paying tribute to those songs in their original form, this is your show and you will not be let down. Clocking in at around 3 hours, they played every hit song and nearly every single (except Perfect), and also found time to run through a lot of major fan favs (Hummer, Mayo, Porcelina, For Martha). The band looks like they are having fun and to see James getting into it as well was amazing considering how bored he looked in the Machina days. Also holy shit JAMES IHA! And his banter somehow made it feel more authentic than anything else.

The playing is great, and the three originals fucking crushed it. Jeff sounds good and the third guitar is a good addition. His presence absolutely did not take away from the experience, people just want something dumb to complain about. Having him be able to fill in on 3rd guitar parts just made the band sound even bigger and badder and did help pay proper homage to the original recordings. Maybe it was just where I was sitting, but Landslide sounded messy, which is funny cause it sounded messy to me in 2008 last time i saw them too. The covers were fine as well, although unexpected. Definitely would have traded them for Geek or Fuck You, but no big deal.

The "show" part of it was quite good. Very good lights and the backdrops were nice. Some very beautiful stuff. I loved the butterfly wings in Soma and the black and white SIYL images. Despite being 29 years old, I am still a weak maudlin baby and I did get kind of emotional through the intro and as people went nuts when Billy came out. As previously stated, we did not get upgraded and it was kind of crowded I think? Seemed to be anyway.

Bottom line, this is not the original SP, but it is a tender, loving tribute to the original band. It's the best Billy has looked and sounded on stage in at least a decade (his voice sounded really good actually!) I would recommend going if any part of your heart is still tied up in the old music and you haven't become completely cynical towards it.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #3633
redbreegull

oh and then there was this from billy

"Today is the 25th anniversary of the release of Siamese Dream"

*cheering and applause*

"Most of you were too young to be there, but it was quite special."

Old 07-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #3634
redbreegull

James: something about 420
Billy: yeah someone was just smoking some nasty weed up here
James: They were like, "Duuuuuuuuuude it's 1979, gotta spark up now!"

Old 07-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #3635
FoolofaTook

Smile

was it you?

Old 07-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #3636
slayed23
Ownz

People really waiting to the very last minute to buy tickets.

Right now on Stubhub, it says there are 995 people viewing tickets to the Philly show.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #3637
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
>>>

Gracias!

Old 07-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #3638
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

https://i.imgur.com/4B3NaS5.gif

https://i.imgur.com/e3oEQcz.gif

Last edited by amoergosum : 07-28-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #3639
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
was it you?
unfortunately not, this venue had drug dogs! We rolled a joint for the show but it didn't seem like a good idea. A lot of people brought their little kids. Maybe if we had been up front standing it would have been fine (like the people smoking the "nasty" weed) but from where we were it would have been kind of sketchy.

the result was I paid 26 bucks for two 25oz Budweisers, yuck

Old 07-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #3640
redbreegull

BTW which one of you was it who brought your 6 and 8 year old kids and forced them to wear solara shirts under sweater vests cause your kids are gonna be fucked up

Old 07-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #3641
FoolofaTook

drug dogs and $13 beers. thats some valley of the shadow of death type shit.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #3642
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
drug dogs and $13 beers. thats some valley of the shadow of death type shit.
can confirm, beers in Nan Dungortheb are also $13

no drug dogs, just lots of spiders

Old 07-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #3643
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Going tonight to Philly. What have the set times been?

Old 07-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #3644
redbreegull

Pumpkins came on around 8 last night. I was confused because we got there at 7:40 and Metric had already finished even though the doors were at 7?

Old 07-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #3645
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I don't want to write a super long review because we have so many good videos from this tour already, so here is my short take:

4/5 stars
If you are going to see a celebration of the original SP with a lot of work put into paying tribute to those songs in their original form, this is your show and you will not be let down. Clocking in at around 3 hours, they played every hit song and nearly every single (except Perfect), and also found time to run through a lot of major fan favs (Hummer, Mayo, Porcelina, For Martha). The band looks like they are having fun and to see James getting into it as well was amazing considering how bored he looked in the Machina days. Also holy shit JAMES IHA! And his banter somehow made it feel more authentic than anything else.

The playing is great, and the three originals fucking crushed it. Jeff sounds good and the third guitar is a good addition. His presence absolutely did not take away from the experience, people just want something dumb to complain about. Having him be able to fill in on 3rd guitar parts just made the band sound even bigger and badder and did help pay proper homage to the original recordings. Maybe it was just where I was sitting, but Landslide sounded messy, which is funny cause it sounded messy to me in 2008 last time i saw them too. The covers were fine as well, although unexpected. Definitely would have traded them for Geek or Fuck You, but no big deal.

The "show" part of it was quite good. Very good lights and the backdrops were nice. Some very beautiful stuff. I loved the butterfly wings in Soma and the black and white SIYL images. Despite being 29 years old, I am still a weak maudlin baby and I did get kind of emotional through the intro and as people went nuts when Billy came out. As previously stated, we did not get upgraded and it was kind of crowded I think? Seemed to be anyway.

Bottom line, this is not the original SP, but it is a tender, loving tribute to the original band. It's the best Billy has looked and sounded on stage in at least a decade (his voice sounded really good actually!) I would recommend going if any part of your heart is still tied up in the old music and you haven't become completely cynical towards it.
Excellent review and I completely agree!

Old 07-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #3646
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Jeff seems to be on a shorter leash which is a good thing. The acoustic guitar on Mayonaise is a nice addition. But his leads on Blew Away suck, not even close to the original song. Also the version of Landslide they’re doing bears little resemblance to the Pisces version and is pretty wack.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #3647
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post

4/5 stars

God dammit now I'm going to have second thoughts

Old 07-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #3648
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
That aesthetic and art direction has been associated with the band since MCIS.
Hell no. Maybe Strawberry is trying to go for the Tonight Tonight or 33 vibe, but she misses the mark completely. Whoever said it's like a high school artist vibe is spot on. I know tons of "photographer" girls and that faux-50's hipster thing has been done to death.

I also think it's lame that the other members aren't involved in the video imagery. If you're gonna show big dumb Billy tarot cards, you may as well show ones with James and Jimmy as well. Make it a band experience.

I think with a reunion, it would be suitable if the entire band walked on stage to start the show together. That way it gives the fans an opportunity to applaud everyone, but starting with simply Corgan kinda sets in motion that it's the Billy Corgan show... Sorta undermines James and Jimmy.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 07-28-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #3649
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Hell no. Maybe Strawberry is trying to go for the Tonight Tonight or 33 vibe, but she misses the mark completely. Whoever said it's like a high school artist vibe is spot on. I know tons of "photographer" girls and that faux-50's hipster thing has been done to death.

I also think it's lame that the other members aren't involved in the video imagery. If you're gonna show big dumb Billy tarot cards, you may as well show ones with James and Jimmy as well. Make it a band experience.

I think with a reunion, it would be suitable if the entire band walked on stage to start the show together. That way it gives the fans an opportunity to applaud everyone, but starting with simply Corgan kinda sets in motion that it's the Billy Corgan show... Sorta undermines James and Jimmy.
Have you even seen the SIYL video?

Old 07-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #3650
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

fuzzyroes should be the art director

Old 07-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #3651
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Is it just me, or do most of Strawberry's videos seem to be aping the aesthetic of the Dude's bowling alley dream sequence in The Big Lebowski? I don't think it's intentional but that's what a lot of those weird videos last night reminded me of, visually.

Also, forgot to mention it in my review, but that outro solo for Porcelina fucking ROCKED. I might like it even better than the album version. So good.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #3652
slayed23
Ownz

Maybe traffic is bad to a lot of these venues, I dunno. However, it is kinda disappointing how empty the arenas are for Metric. Even during some of the beginning songs of the Pumpkins, you see people filing to their seats.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #3653
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
fuzzyroes should be the art director
Man, I'd do way better than Straw-tits... Guaranteed.

First artistic director decision of mine: in the video with all of the Billy tarot cards, there HAS to be a tarot card with Jimmy Chamberlins face illustrated to look all serious with 8 octopus tentacles coming out from it, all holding drumsticks. The tarot card will be shown on the screen during a part where Jimmy is going nuts... The whole arena would burst out in epic applause.

The problem with Linda is that she simply doesn't have any original ideas. She just apes what everyone else is doing.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:50 PM   #3654
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
Maybe traffic is bad to a lot of these venues, I dunno. However, it is kinda disappointing how empty the arenas are for Metric. Even during some of the beginning songs of the Pumpkins, you see people filing to their seats.
It'd be disappointing if they were actually a good band, maybe.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:37 PM   #3655
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Man, I'd do way better than Straw-tits... Guaranteed.

First artistic director decision of mine: in the video with all of the Billy tarot cards, there HAS to be a tarot card with Jimmy Chamberlins face illustrated to look all serious with 8 octopus tentacles coming out from it, all holding drumsticks. The tarot card will be shown on the screen during a part where Jimmy is going nuts... The whole arena would burst out in epic applause.

The problem with Linda is that she simply doesn't have any original ideas. She just apes what everyone else is doing.
How's your rap coming along?

Old 07-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #3656
fuzzyroes
Banned

I used to think rap was cool, then I heard this.... I will not be making anything in the same genre as that!

RBG thinks this shit is cool

Old 07-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #3657
Shallowed
Braindead

Protip: rap is a vocal technique, not a genre

Old 07-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #3658
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Hit the drums as hard as you can at all times like Travis Barker!

Old 07-28-2018, 11:30 PM   #3659
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
I used to think rap was cool, then I heard this.... I will not be making anything in the same genre as that!

RBG thinks this shit is cool
Speaking of expensive tickets...

Old 07-28-2018, 11:38 PM   #3660
fuzzyroes
Banned

Those wankers charge hundreds of dollars for shit performances like that?!?!