Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 04-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #31
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

A reunion of the original members would probably be the most disappointing thing that this band has done, post-breakup. I don't think i want it.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #32
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

Musically, there would probably be nothing special about a reunion of the original band. But people would be stoked, energy would be positive, and who knows, it might even spill over into the band.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #33
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Just considering how much James made those songs sound like classic SP live, I think it could be good depending on how it's done. Now this is Billy Corgan we're talking about so there's a high probability he would botch it but if he were to reunite the original 4 and go on tour, maybe as a 30th anniversary thing, that would be a good start.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #34
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbMan View Post
Musically, there would probably be nothing special about a reunion of the original band. But people would be stoked, energy would be positive, and who knows, it might even spill over into the band.
I think most people agree that what was special about the original four was more of an intangible chemistry than a musical one. Billy and Jimmy playing together is at least 75% of the SP sound.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #35
Disco King
Minion of Satan

The biggest reason modern SP sucks is that Corgan sucks, so I don't think bringing back the old crew will change anything unless Corgan stops sucking.

Also, I just can't really see Wretzky coming back. Everyone else in the band has still been busy making music and not getting DUIs. Like, it'd be cool is she came back, but I somehow don't think Corgan will ask her.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #36
Ram27
dumb

Musically, all the right pieces would be in place for the band not to suck (except Billy vocal cords)---->

Quote:
I play guitar pretty much on top, and so the bass is better laconic. If the bass is too on top, like for example, Melissa Auf der Maur. When she played with us, she played very on top, and it was constantly tripping all over the fucking guitars. It’s hard to get… the Pumpkins’ sound. If you can bottle it, it’s sort of predicated on the idea the guitars are clearly on top and ahead of the drums; the drums sit in the middle, and the bass is a little back, so it has an impact and wide-scope sound. That’s the sound that I like to hear. Maybe it was developed through playing with D’Arcy and the way she played. I got used to that feeling, and so I’ve looked for that feeling ever since.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #37
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Also, and I know this is superficial, but I feel like Wretzky having had very obvious plastic surgery would kind of deter Corgan from asking her back, because he wouldn't want to reinforce the image of "washed-up '90s star."

Not saying I condone that or think that Wretzky's appearance should have any bearing on the merits of bringing her back onstage, but I just feel like this is how somebody like Corgan would think. I dunno.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #38
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass85 View Post
"Wretzky claims she’s been asked to rejoin The Pumpkins on four occasions, but then later says she hasn’t spoken to head Pumpkin Billy Corgan since 1999, the year she quit the band."

Who asked her to rejoin SP? Jesus?
In a Zeitgeist-era interview, Jimmy said that he was the one who reached out to James and D'arcy at that time, not Billy.

Afterwards I can imagine dumbass unqualified management and promoter hacks trying again.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #39
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Musically, all the right pieces would be in place for the band not to suck (except Billy vocal cords)---->
And Corgan's songwriting.

He's not exactly dropping any "Porcelinas" these days. He's not even dropping what used to be b-side quality for him.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #40
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Also, and I know this is superficial, but I feel like Wretzky having had very obvious plastic surgery would kind of deter Corgan from asking her back, because he wouldn't want to reinforce the image of "washed-up '90s star."

Not saying I condone that or think that Wretzky's appearance should have any bearing on the merits of bringing her back onstage, but I just feel like this is how somebody like Corgan would think. I dunno.
Have you seen belly lately? I don't think he cares anymore how anybody looks up on stage

Old 04-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #41
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

IMO the best way to launch a legacy tour with the original 4 would be to perform MCIS or SD. The Pixies did it very well a few years ago with Doolittle. And a few years ago Weezer did some album format shows that I remember bill tweeting positively about.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #42
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

d'arcy should never come back.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #43
T&T
Socialphobic

they should reunite to play the new unplugged MTV series. They never did it back in the '90's.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #44
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
they should reunite to play the new unplugged MTV series. They never did it back in the '90's.
that could potentially be good. the band sounds pretty good on the current tour

Old 04-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #45
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
"The new MTV Unplugged will keep the essential feel of the original series while modernizing to fit the way we watch videos today across multiple platforms," the channel said in a release.
Oh fuck off just film them playing songs and put it out. It's not that hard

About a Girl (Target© exclusive stream)
Come as You Are (VEVO edition)
Jesus Don't Want Me for a Sunbeam (Youtube Red Deluxe package)
The Man Who Sold the World (only available on Android devices running 10.8+)

Old 04-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #46
FoolofaTook

so whose the bigger burnout, bElly with his tilas and jessicas and airplane modes and dropped consonants or darcy with her horse farm/crack smoking shenanigans?

Old 04-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #47
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/179...AolLpboA%3D%3D

Old 04-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #48
FoolofaTook

james and jimmy just get better with age (the former maturing into a splendid resemblance of the Emperor Hirohito, the latter aging like flasks of red Chian wine)

BeLLY and darcy on the other hand....

Old 04-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #49
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
and how do you know what she was like in her personal life 25 years ag?
I know she could at least string coherent sentences together.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #50
redbreegull

Billy still looked pretty good until a few years ago. Seems like he just doesn't give a fuck anymore

Old 04-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #51
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:

So D'arcy should get rid of her silicone lip implants and Billy needs a fitness trainer before a comeback.
I already wrote her...

Old 04-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #52
great poster
Apocalyptic Poster

honestly, i would love to see d'arcy come back to play with billy/james/jimmy, if not just for one show. the hype would be unreal and would be good publicity for the band. if it goes well, it could lead into some sort of original member collaboration on a future album. i don't really see any way of this going wrong unless d'arcy pulls some crazy crackhead shit.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #53
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:

unfortunately this does make sense as willy "i'll fart your fucking lights out" o'corrigan's train of thought...

Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #54
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by great poster View Post
i don't really see any way of this going wrong unless d'arcy pulls some crazy crackhead shit.

You mean, like this recent interview I just read? I'm sorry but all I could think of was how, in print, she came off like my methhead cousin.