Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default What SP songs immediately hooked you?

In high school I torrented Rotten Apples. It was missing all the Gish trax for whatever reason so it opened with Cherub. I remember hating all the electric-y stuff later in the album

A few months later I watched the 93 Metro gig on youtube. I was instantly struck by the incredible fucking bombast of the Rocket outro [guitar slide up + cymbal wash -> unison ending] and the dreamy section of Geek

which is basically my two favorite sounds of the band. it's a sine

Old 04-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Tonight, Tonight was the first pumpkins song I heard and was instantly "what the hell is this!?" and needed to know more.

But I saw the video too, so that also had a big impact on me at the time.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i borrowed Mellon Collie from the library, put in disc 2 first by mistake I think, & sat there going "oh shit, this band did this song???" when 1979 came on

that was that, pretty much

on a sidenote i do remember being particularly astounded the first time i heard Jellybelly just feeling like the guitars were fucking bulldozers compared to anything else I'd heard at the time. & I'd even heard Loveless by that point

Old 04-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Cliché, I know. But whatcha gonna do

Old 04-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Damn Joey, ruining my streak posting

Old 04-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Not gonna go back and try and fix anything, art is spontaneous.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

tru talk: the first time I'd actually heard about SP was via television show Kids Say the Darndest Things hosted by Bill Cosby. one of the kids did an a capella rendition of Bullet. it was fantastic

Old 04-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Damn Joey, ruining my streak posting
it is simply the ebb & flo of

love or hate it!

Old 04-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
tru talk: the first time I'd actually heard about SP was via television show Kids Say the Darndest Things hosted by Bill Cosby. one of the kids did an a capella rendition of Bullet. it was fantastic
I need a youtube of that stat

Old 04-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Tonight, Tonight was the first pumpkins song I heard and was instantly "what the hell is this!?" and needed to know more.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #11
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
it is simply the ebb & flo of

love or hate it!
hate to love it or love to hate it

Old 04-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #12
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

For me, it all really started with Solara.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #13
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 04-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #14
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Heard the band playing the main riff from "Zero" on The Simpsons.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #15
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Heard the band playing the main riff from "Zero" on The Simpsons.
Haha that’s how I discovered SP.

I actually had like 9 SP songs on my iPod for years (first discovered them in maybe 2008) but I didn’t get all of Mellon Collie onto my iPod until the summer of 2016, which is when I started to get more into them. In early 2017, I started watching old footage of them and exploring their music more, and I decided they were actually the best band I’d ever heard. I seriously regret not exploring them sooner.

As for the thread’s question, Zero for sure.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #16
Unicycle
Pledge

I had a few SP songs in my library from when I was a kid but for some reason Blank hooked me when I heard it randomly (even though apparently nobody likes it). Listening back on it now I'm not sure what it was that grabbed me. Then I got into the rest of the Mellon Collie b-sides and Monuments came out around the same time and that was pretty much it. I really liked Monuments on release but that was without the context of the rest of SP I hadn't yet listened to. I still maintain Zeitgeist and Oceania are good albums though, don't fuckin @ me

Old 04-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #17
inkless
Ownz

bullet with butterfly wings on radio

Old 04-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #18
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs up

My sister bought SD on cassette, probably around the time Today got big? I'm guessing I heard Today first but it could have been Cherub Rock. Both got the Yung Topley Seal of Approval™ and encouraged me to steal her tape for longer and longer periods

If you mean "hooked" as in "got its claws in deep and made me never want to listen to anything else," that was Rocket

Old 04-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #19
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I don't remember what the first SP song I heard was. In fact, I don't even remember how I found out about them. I remember just wanting to check out more bands to listen to and downloading songs from random bands that I remembered hearing and liking one or two songs from, or had simply heard the names of and heard that were worth checking out. I don't even remember from where. The Smashing Pumpkins just happened to be one of those bands, which is funny, because most of the other bands on that list were 2000s scene, nth-wave emo (you know, the emo that has nothing to do with emo), and metalcore shit, as was my taste in late-elementary/early middle-school, so I have no idea how the Pumpkins even made the list. Probably just because they were an inspiration for a lot of that 2000s scene music, and were probably name-checked by artists in that genre. I remembered hearing them somewhere prior to this and liking them, but I couldn't remember what song or from where I heard it.

The first songs I downloaded were just their most successful radio singles at the time. Stuff like "Disarm," "Today," "Bullet with Butterfly Wings," "Tonight, Tonight," and "1979." I don't even know which one I listened to first, but I do know these were the first few I heard.

Instantly liked all of these and was compelled to delve into all their material. It wasn't long after this that I stumbled across a copy of MCIS at the flea market and asked my mom to buy it for me, and then a copy of Siamese Dream at a garage sale, which I also got my mom to purchase.

I had had favourite bands before, but I had never connected with a band as strongly or as quickly as when I discovered SP. It also led to me discovering my other favourite artists as looking at their influences and contemporaries is what made me want to check out My Bloody Valentine (I still remember that drug-like experience of hearing the first few chords of "Only Shallow" when I checked out its music video), Black Sabbath (interestingly, their eponymous debut album is another that just changes your world upon hearing the first few seconds), the entire genre of psychedelic rock (well, when I was a kid, I was already always drawn to the speakers whenever I'd hear stuff like The Kingsmen and the Kinks here and there, but SP's Gish is what compelled me to actually properly check out the genre that influenced it), and of course other '90s alt-rock bands. My interest in 2000s scene bands with swoopy hair soon evaporated, and SP was kind of the gateway drug for that.

Funnily enough, even though SP was the beginning of the "'90s phase" in high school, I've also fallen out of listening to much '90s alt-rock and grunge, as Pearl Jam and Nirvana (the one '90s band I knew and listened to before SP, I think) just don't give me the same feelings that they used to. But my interest in that era of SP is still strong.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #20
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Zero on Simpsons, Bullet on MTV, WBFTT on the radio

I think I might have heard Siamese Dream at my sisters' a few years before and liked it, but I barely remember

Old 04-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #21
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

damn, what bad-ass radio stations were playing Where Boys Fear to Tread?

propz to them, major propz

Old 04-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #22
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

WBFTT is an absolute banger. Nasty riff.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #23
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
WBFTT is an absolute banger. Nasty riff.
Didn’t big willie write that spontaneously while dicking around checking a freshly strung guitar? And then the whole band joined in just as u hear em basically do in the song as recorded for us? Or something?

Old 04-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #24
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I heard Landslide on the radio during a school trip in 1994 and I was hooked like Jimmy after his first score

Old 04-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #25
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Didn’t big willie write that spontaneously while dicking around checking a freshly strung guitar? And then the whole band joined in just as u hear em basically do in the song as recorded for us? Or something?
i never heard that story. I'm 80% sure james fiddles around with the riff in the 666 tapes

Old 04-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #26
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

WBFTT on mcis is the first time the band played the song according to Bill and he wanted Jimmy to come back in at the end like the way it is on the album but he didn't, so they had to splice that part in.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #27
myosis
Minion of Satan

honestly, i don't think any SP songs had an immediate effect on me like that. Tonight Tonight is probably the one that did have me hooked in 96, but not necessarily the first time i heard it...

Old 04-08-2020, 06:06 PM   #28
paranoid
Minion of Satan

a lot.. off the top of my head, rocket, beautiful, stand inside your love, porcelina, here is no why, love.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:28 PM   #29
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

My brother and cousins were about seven years older and were totally 90's MTV kids. They had this soundtrack with a bunch of bands of the era. It was the Singles soundtrack. I'm guessing summer 1993. I listened to drown over and over just mesmerized. I dunno about "hooked" because it never dawned on me to search for their other stuff. Also, I was incredibly young. Later that year, the Today video debuted. I remember being in the garage, the large door open and the dying summer air wafting in. I was sprawled out on a greenish, rose swirled loveseat. The opening notes, the ice cream truck and the powerful sentiment just struck me. That weekend I asked my mom to buy the cassette at Kmart when we were grocery shopping.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #30
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
damn, what bad-ass radio stations were playing Where Boys Fear to Tread?

propz to them, major propz
I think it was 99.9 The Buzz. Sometimes late at night you'd get off-single stuff, I remember hearing it in the car on a late night drive back from my grandma's.