Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2018, 05:10 AM   #211
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Teh Bolly is right. There was something special about those four that made the first albums get better from Gish (senescence) to SD (uber senescence) to MCIS (sheer senescitude).

Billy should of never fired Jimmy.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:12 AM   #212
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

ANOTHER LEAKED PHOTO! @lindastrawberry

A post shared by WilliamPatrickCorgan (@williampcorgan) on

Keep it classy, Billy

Old 02-06-2018, 05:27 AM   #213
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
Keep it classy, Billy
Well sitting, looking at the chair behind her...

Old 02-06-2018, 05:32 AM   #214
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
>>>
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to amoergosum again.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:41 AM   #215
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

What could be happening is that BC / JC / Jeff and James are recording the album, with one or all of them playing bass. And then they'll get D'Arcy in for the live shows.

Still doesn't explain why they did a photo shoot without her. Unless this is the "new band" that just happens to have 3/4 SP members in it.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:50 AM   #216
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

honestly, i'd even argue that darcy's importance to the band is even greater now, specifically, compared to what it used to be in the band's heydey.

one of the worst aspects about post-2000's "SP" is that it's become kind of a shitty jam-based band. i love Jimmy to death and he's a fantastic musician, but it seems like his ego got swollen somewhat and he kind of forgot his place in the "hierarchy" of the sound that made the original band's output so magical. his playing is a lot more demonstrative now, more attention seeking,and generally speaking it seems like he's looking out for the spotlight much more than ever before, rather than just doing his wicked thing in the back and making songs work in a way that's not quite so obvious until you really zoom in on it.

do you think it's a coincidence half the songs on live shows with JC start off with him zoning out to a beat, and everybody else slowly joining in? that's a world of difference right there.

that in turn influences billy to come up with stock, generic guitar rock riffs that rely on jimmy's power, but don't have the same emotional pull or weight. they may play well together technically, but it's as inspired as an omlette sandwich. you used to be able to take almost any SP song and if you played it on an acoustic, juts the chords and melody, the skeletal songwriting would still shine through - which is absolutely not the case anymore, by any standard.

iha might be great at adding texture and flavor to existing material, but he can't make a turd into a diamond.

that's exactly where darcy's judgement would signal to the band that hey, this shit you're playing is obvious rock cliche bullshit 101, and if you want it to be good you need to tilt it in X direction. try something else. by inventive. she'd challenge billy to push himself harder, and not settle for bullshit riffs like Tarantula.

it doesn't matter if her contribution comes down to giving that slight nudge, because that slight nudge is what could alter the entire trajectory of any given musical piece into something original or affecting. all you (insert plural pejorative) who think she's not important to the band because she can't play like John Myung are missing the point so bad, you need an atlas to find it.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #217
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
one of the worst aspects about post-2000's "SP" is that it's become kind of a shitty jam-based band. i love Jimmy to death and he's a fantastic musician, but it seems like his ego got swollen somewhat and he kind of forgot his place in the "hierarchy" of the sound that made the original band's output so magical. his playing is a lot more demonstrative now, more attention seeking,and generally speaking it seems like he's looking out for the spotlight much more than ever before, rather than just doing his wicked thing in the back and making songs work in a way that's not quite so obvious until you really zoom in on it.

do you think it's a coincidence half the songs on live shows with JC start off with him zoning out to a beat, and everybody else slowly joining in? that's a world of difference right there.
That's one way to look at it, another would be that Jimmy's trying to compensate for the fact that Billy's songwriting is sub-par nowadays. He's trying to make the songs exciting with his drumming, because the riffs/melodies won't do it by themselves anymore.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #218
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Rolling Stone Germany just released an article about Billy publicly mocking D'Arcy:

https://www.rollingstone.de/reunion-...dabei-1449489/

NME also just released a similar article:

"Billy Corgan addresses new Smashing Pumpkins bassist rumours – and downplays D’Arcy Wretsky’s past role"

http://www.nme.com/news/music/billy-...t-role-2237234

Old 02-06-2018, 07:20 AM   #219
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...more flashbacks:

2016:

"There’s excitement there that surrounds the idea that maybe there’s the possibility that we will get back together, but until you here it coming from my mouth that the band is getting back together and we will play dates, my primary concern is the family relationships of the band that are ultimately so much more important. I can tell you without a doubt that if that band ever gets back on stage, it will be about music, it will be about playing music that fans love, and that we love."

https://www.stereogum.com/1894249/bi...n-rumors/news/

2017:

"Howard asked Billy if he’s getting along with the original Smashing Pumpkins members now, and Billy said that he is. He said he was thinking about it the other night, and that they gave him this faith that he didn’t have with his family, as they were following him when no one else would. He said without them in the beginning, he wouldn’t have had anything.

Howard said that Billy’s Smashing Pumpkins bandmates risked their future with him, and he feels that way about his radio partners Robin, Fred, Gary, and even the guys who joined later, as they’re putting their careers on the line for him. Billy said that they didn’t question it at all in the beginning. Howard said Robin always had his back, and it brings him to tears. Billy said he has the same emotion about the original Smashing Pumpkins.

He said that he was recently apologizing to D’arcy for being an asshole in the band and she cut him off and said, “Billy. You wrote so many great songs, you had to be that way.” He said it was a profoundly healing moment."

https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...izing-asshole/

Old 02-06-2018, 07:36 AM   #220
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

D’Arcy is a crack addled ugly nut job. There was no way this was ever going to happen. I’m satisfied with this lineup & will go see them and spin new music.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #221
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post

ANOTHER LEAKED PHOTO! @lindastrawberry

A post shared by WilliamPatrickCorgan (@williampcorgan) on

Keep it classy, Billy
strawtits skinflute

Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #222
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

You gotta know James is regretting every fucking minute of this.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #223
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

All this needed was a tactful, empathetic statement from Billy.

A shitshow as ever - I hope Iha comes out pf this unscathed, but after sounding so rational during the Ogilala promo, Corgan showing his true colours once again.

How much must Jimmy n James be lined up to pocket to go work with a guy who publically trashed them for years?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #224
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Lol it was a “profoundly healing moment” for someone to confirm to bill that he DOESNT NEED TO APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE, EVER, FOR HIS OWN OBJECTIVELY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR, because he HAD TO BE THAT WAY FOR EVERYONES OWN GOOD

How touching omg im profoundly moved by this profound anecdote of healing and redemption

Old 02-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #225
run2pee
Minion of Satan

This is what abusive parents tell themselves

This man is terminally diseased in his soul

God have mercy on poor lil Auggie Joop: kid is fucking doomed

Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #226
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

BWAHAHAHAH You guys are eating up everything he says HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Bill wins again!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #227
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
BWAHAHAHAH You guys are eating up everything he says HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Bill wins again!
Judging by his record sales and critical reviews - I don’t think he wins by making himself look like an abusive and delusional laughing stock.

“He said that he was recently apologizing to D’arcy for being an asshole in the band and she cut him off and said, “Billy. You wrote so many great songs, you had to be that way.” He said it was a profoundly healing moment."

Seems unlikely this actually happened. Billy just lacking self-awareness and figuring he can say whatever he likes.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #228
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

I have a feeling Billy reads this so I'm gonna put it plainly.

You fucked up. The way you handled this situation makes the hypothetical of the Cuba crisis happening fade in comparison. You had the sincerity to make all these claims about reigniting your friendship with D'arcy, and yet when it came down to sticking up for her - you go and subliminally diss her, and downplay her involvement in the band. That is sick. Also, NOBODY LIKES JEFF. His noodling is appreciated by nobody. You need to accept the fact that some guitarists playing LACKS SOUL. The opposite can be said about James playing and your playing in the 1990s.

Fucking hell Billy. Grow up. Apologize, make a CLEAR statement and enjoy life, instead of posting ironic and bashing Instagram posts about your skewed view of reality.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #229
Cool As Ice Cream

what is going on here?
can someone quickly explain to me what "the situation" is or was, and how belly handled it?
please keep it short, and leave out assumptions.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #230
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
honestly, i'd even argue that darcy's importance to the band is even greater now, specifically, compared to what it used to be in the band's heydey.

that in turn influences billy to come up with stock, generic guitar rock riffs that rely on jimmy's power, but don't have the same emotional pull or weight. they may play well together technically, but it's as inspired as an omlette sandwich. you used to be able to take almost any SP song and if you played it on an acoustic, juts the chords and melody, the skeletal songwriting would still shine through - which is absolutely not the case anymore, by any standard.

iha might be great at adding texture and flavor to existing material, but he can't make a turd into a diamond.

that's exactly where darcy's judgement would signal to the band that hey, this shit you're playing is obvious rock cliche bullshit 101, and if you want it to be good you need to tilt it in X direction. try something else. by inventive. she'd challenge billy to push himself harder, and not settle for bullshit riffs like Tarantula.

it doesn't matter if her contribution comes down to giving that slight nudge, because that slight nudge is what could alter the entire trajectory of any given musical piece into something original or affecting. all you (insert plural pejorative) who think she's not important to the band because she can't play like John Myung are missing the point so bad, you need an atlas to find it.
This is a really great post, totally agreed

Old 02-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #231
Ram27
dumb

Maybe D'arcy can't handle a big tour, and that's totally fair, but if her and Billy reconnected, and she's been practicing, it would be fucking insane if she didn't come and play I Am One at the Metro for an encore or something

Just the fact that she's disappointed she's not in the reunion really upsets me. Fucking Billy

Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #232
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
what is going on here?
can someone quickly explain to me what "the situation" is or was, and how belly handled it?
please keep it short, and leave out assumptions.
doing promotional interviews for Ogilala, BC made a lot of reassuring and dare i say moving statements about how if a reunion were ever to happen, it would have to involve the original people. talked about healing relationships, correcting past interpersonal mistakes, about getting things right, etc.

more specifically, he said he renewed contact with d'arcy and when trying to apologize to her for being such an asshole during the band's heydey, she cut him off and told him she understands now that he had to be that way, that he wrote a lot of great songs, and that brought him a lot of joy and relief.

fast forward a few months, d'arcy makes some twitter/facebook posts about how she was very disappointed to passively find out the band decided to go with a different bass player - apparently not even getting the news from BC himself.

then to make things worse and more infuriating, billy very recently made a post in which he's cryptically shitting over darcy's past contributions to the band, saying the he and james played bass on a lot of original SP songs. seemingly taking cheap shots at her for literally no reason and kicking her while she's down on the ground, hurt by being kept out of the reunion.

presently, billy's keeping a tight lid on exactly what's going on, exactly like before the Zeitgeist release. but, it appears the lineup is now BC, JC, Iha, and Jeff - who will possibly be accompanied by a hired bassist on tour (possible 3 gtr lineup).

Old 02-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #233
SPLATTER
Demi-God

he really is a bully. can't help himself from belittling someone so much weaker. very trump.

and like a true bully, he's shown he can't take a punch. look how long he's been mad at pavement for a little dig they made.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #234
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Hey how is sad machines dealing with this BS?
I'm sure by banning any real opinions and discussions on the matter and worshiping Bobo, Jeff and Daryl Strawberry as usual.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #235
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
You gotta know James is regretting every fucking minute of this.
I wonder if Iha had to sign some sort of contract if he sticks around tbh.
I notice that JC is liking the terrible IG posts and Iha isn't...

Old 02-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #236
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
...but it seems like his ego got swollen somewhat and he kind of forgot his place in the "hierarchy" of the sound that made the original band's output so magical. his playing is a lot more demonstrative now, more attention seeking,and generally speaking it seems like he's looking out for the spotlight much more than ever before, rather than just doing his wicked thing in the back and making songs work in a way that's not quite so obvious until you really zoom in on it.

HARD agree here. Since Machina era his playing has been really formulaic. The same machine gun snare fills over and over on every song. MCIS was the peak of Jimmy's playing.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #237
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
How much must Jimmy n James be lined up to pocket to go work with a guy who publically trashed them for years?
white van, "worst person I've ever met, a piece of shit", "flaxxen haired saxxon" who didn't play on anything, etc.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #238
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
white van, "worst person I've ever met, a piece of shit", "flaxxen haired saxxon" who didn't play on anything, etc.
Someone should compile a list of all the quotes of Billy publically shitting on people vs what they said about him. Maybe then it would finally dawn on him how he is portraying himself at least. Even if he is in the right about this stuff, he makes himself look bad.

And based on the evidence, I have absolutely no faith in his version of events.

I wonder if #metoo will ever catch up with him. Seems like Bill would have some skeletons re: abuse of power.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 02-06-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #239
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

D I C K

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4705/...dd4301b2_b.jpgScreen Shot 2018-02-06 at 10.35.51 AM by douglas adcock, on Flickr

Old 02-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #240
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

WTF is this?