Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #181
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

billy would like a sandwich everyone

Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 AM   #182
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
sounds like art direction ie - her job
Yep. Art director, photographer, therapist.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 AM   #183
slunken
Virgo

friends as lovers

and lovers as friends

Old 02-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #184
Ram27
dumb

New York eyes
Wasn't mine

Old 02-24-2014, 01:44 AM   #185
T&T
Socialphobic

can we stay on point?

8-9 hours of synth.
any ideas what patches he'll be using?
how many oscillators is he working with? any external sources? is that doepfer compatible with other eurorack modules?

here's info I found relating to TFE sessions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto
well i worked on this record, so ask me anything... It was quite the process!
Billy has a tremendous amount of vintage analog synths, drum machines, fx, etc that we were using. And the house rules were pretty strict. We could use anything in the room, were not allowed to use samples (from outside sources, we could resample what we had), because he had a real demand for authenticity.
A bulk of the sounds on the record were made with a custom huge Doepfer modular, which Bon Harris put together, and programmed like noone else you have ever seen. I think he is the eddie van halen of programmers, esp. on modular stuff, and i cannot give him enough credit for his taste, production, and patience in teaching matt walker and myself how to program on those beasts.
We had four different setups, bon with most of the modulars in one corner, and matt walker and myself with use of everything from the whole roland jupiter line, to all the crumars, solina's, oberheims, moogs, etc you can imagine. No digital hardware synths were used at all.
Billy was setup in the control room (we were in the live room, since we weren't using "real" drums, and only a portion of the live room was set up for billy's vocal and guitar rig.
It was fortunate for matt walker at the time that ALL the drums were programmed, as he had just torn his acl in an onstage accident, and was in a total leg brace for most of the recording sessions. We used every drum machine made up until about 1985, and the bass sounds mainly came from the doepfer, roland system 100, some came from minimoogs or oberheim xpanders, etc... most of which were then amped and recorded in a room through a variety of amps, if memory serves, the ampeg got the majority of the work.
bjorn thorsrud did a great job meticuously recording this project, as with so many different contributions from different workstations, all being thrown in the pot, it could get to be quite a nightmare, but he held it all together. Most of the synths if i remember, were either amped and recorded back into our DAWS, usually through millenial, neve, or the ssl.

the guitar sounds were painstakingly worked on. Billy is the best guitar player i have ever worked with, and his attention to detail and sound sculpting abilities were labored over with love, as every song has only ONE take of guitar, with one sound, and one pass only. If he made a mistake, rewind, start over from the beginning. It made for some late nights.
I am not sure if he wants me to divulge his signal path right now, but to give clue, it was pretty much made out of one device, and on occassion we threw one of his huge huge collection of vintage pedals. He, Bjorn and I would sometimes spend a whole day making one guitar sound, tweaking until our ears bled, but it was a fun adventure.

there is so much of the process on this record that i can talk about, but whatever, ask me anything, and i will answer as best as memory serves!
just read the thread:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...e-embrace.html

Last edited by T&T : 02-24-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #186
slunken
Virgo

Dope thanks for the link

Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 AM   #187
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
New York eyes
Wasn't mine
Untroo fan alert

Protip: New York Isle

Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #188
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't know why Billy works for hours and hours and hours with no breaks. No good comes of that. He can be really dumb about things he should be really smart about. Like clearing his brain during the creative process. You get shit done faster.

Also, he shouldn't force others to work the way he wants. Like james and d'arcy not given breaks and shit.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #189
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

could someone be so nice to already write monty's review of the "show"? maybe in the form of a "live" twitter stream?
it should ******* a setlist of only one unknown song, and tea that is too hot, and a rotating seating plan.
thank you.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #190
Cool As Ice Cream

include

Old 02-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #191
Starla

I like the way Billy dresses. I don't care if he has a muffin top. He's just keeping it real.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #192
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
could someone be so nice to already write monty's review of the "show"? maybe in the form of a "live" twitter stream?
it should ******* a setlist of only one unknown song, and tea that is too hot, and a rotating seating plan.
thank you.
He might be able to get an iced tea if it is herbal. No caffeine for lil monte

Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #193
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan will perform at his Madame ZuZu's Teashop and Art Studio in Highland Park on Friday for as long as nine hours.

Corgan is expected to perform a musical interpretation of Hermann Hesse's novel "Siddhartha," according to the Madame ZuZu's website, a show that's expected to last eight to nine hours.

"(The) show will be centered around an ambient/musical interpretation of Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha; built by modular synthesis, on the fly," the website said.

Chloe Mendel, manager at Madame ZuZu's in the Ravinia neighborhood of Highland Park, said they've received calls and emails from people flying in from around the country for Corgan's improvisational art installation.

The tea house seats 38 people, Mendel said, and no reservations are being taken. As such, customers will be rotated as needed to accommodate the greatest number of people.

Corgan will perform on synthesizers, which he collects, Mendel said. In addition to the performance, limited edition posters and T-shirts will be sold.

And while the show is free, customers are asked to drink tea as a courtesy, she said. A special tea called "freak of nature oolong" will be served.

"This is basically an example of how we use Madame ZuZu's as a creative space," Mendel said. "We're all really excited."

The show starts at noon.
Source: http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-79433440/

Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #194
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
thank you.
How did you know about the rotating seating, did you call zuzus?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #195
slunken
Virgo

bot deleted

Old 02-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #196
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Well will this bott stuff end!

Old 02-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #197
slunken
Virgo

i saw a picture of a wrestler wearing a zuzu shirt they actually do look screen-printed the website pictures are just shitty FPO shop jobs. IDK about the other ones though - they're not as graphic with solid colors.

Interesting about the synth performance thing having extra-special posters and shirts for sale. Merchandising, baby. Enjoy your t-shirt money, WPC. I would probably pick up a commemorative keychain if I was there.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #198
seign
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
can we stay on point?

8-9 hours of synth.
any ideas what patches he'll be using?
how many oscillators is he working with? any external sources? is that doepfer compatible with other eurorack modules?
I heard it's going to be a loop of the theme song to Contra while Billy stands on stage, holding a Tickle-me Elmo doll up to the microphone for the full 8 hours.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #199
Trotskilicious
Banned

Tickle Me Dalek

Old 02-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #200
Trotskilicious
Banned

*tickle-tickle*

EXTERRRRMIIIINAAAATEE!!!!!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #201
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Slunks, you don't plan on going? Come on, you could take an EXCLUSIVE pic of monte!

Old 02-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #202
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Slunks, you don't plan on going? Come on, you could take an EXCLUSIVE pic of monte!
I seriously considered it, as I have family that lives in Chicago proper and a train ride to Highland Park is only @ 45 minutes away.

My main interest is how the whole spectacle will be managed. With so many people supposedly flying in and attending and the rotated seating going on and the fact that this isn't going to be a performance but merely a day's worth of ambient/background music while I know so many people don't realize this I'm expecting a trainwreck of sorts.

I can't wait to read the online reviews of this experience.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #203
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
How did you know about the rotating seating, did you call zuzus?
someone already mentioned it here. i think it was a quote from the zuzu website.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #204
slunken
Virgo

I'm also expecting audience participation

Old 02-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #205
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i saw a picture of a wrestler wearing a zuzu shirt they actually do look screen-printed the website pictures are just shitty FPO shop jobs. IDK about the other ones though - they're not as graphic with solid colors.

Interesting about the synth performance thing having extra-special posters and shirts for sale. Merchandising, baby. Enjoy your t-shirt money, WPC. I would probably pick up a commemorative keychain if I was there.
My thought is he wants to make about 50-100 per head ideally.

Buy a drink of tea + poster + tee shirt + tea to go.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #206
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I hope monte starts the wave!

I hope some people print out crestfallen homepage and have monte sign it and take pics with him for their FB and nobody asks billy for shit and he goes and cries in the bathroom!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #207
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Is it too hard to ban the bot?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #208
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Monte

Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #209
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Pre-shows last year - "Madame Zuzu's Backstage Experience", for $399 you didn't get just 10 minutes rehearsal songs, you also got a cup of tea in a branded mug and were sat in front of a Zuzu's wallpaper banner thingy.
oh jesus fucking christ.

This is why Billy needs someone like D'arcy in his bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
He hired his own girlfriend to be store manager? I bet she's behind those shitty shirts too. God he's fucking cheap.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:58 PM   #210
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post

He hired his own girlfriend to be store manager?
If that's true I thought I recognized the name from somewhere.

Is it true? Source?