Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #61
fuzzyroes
Banned

I mean, he was still neurotic and crazy...He simply seemed less narcissistic, but who knows.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:29 PM   #62
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Nah, at this point, all I have room for is Blue/Pinkerton and White/EWBAITE with a little bit of Maladroit if time allows.
I typically agree, but there's a few songs on each of the other releases that I still like... Only albums that I completely dislike are Make Believe and Hurley. Every other album has at least a great song or 2.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:42 PM   #63
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Yeah when he played all the instruments and wrote all the songs on two albums and then complained about how terrible about his bandmates were in the press. So chill.
Pretty sure all that shit was slung years after the fact.

But who gives a shit. We're talking about Weezer here, people.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #64
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I typically agree, but there's a few songs on each of the other releases that I still like... Only albums that I completely dislike are Make Believe and Hurley. Every other album has at least a great song or 2.
Eh, I'm a full album or die guy these days. One or two good songs doesn't cut it.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:45 PM   #65
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I was more willing to tolerate the bad stuff before EWBAITE and White, but now that I know they can recapture that magic but refuse to in favor of the crud they're churning out recently, I give them no leeway.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #66
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I was more willing to tolerate the bad stuff before EWBAITE and White, but now that I know they can recapture that magic but refuse to in favor of the crud they're churning out recently, I give them no leeway.
Yeah, their latest singles have been pretty lame... But I'm past the point of hoping Weezer will make a masterpiece again. Now I just enjoy em for their quirkiness and am pleasantly surprised if I dig a few songs on a new album.

It's weird... When Billy releases something embarrassing it just seems sad and desperate to me but when Weezer does it I just kinda chuckle and don't give a shit. I guess it's cause Weezer has always carried themselves with a sense of irony so when they do something unabashedly silly it's easier to swallow and shrug off.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #67
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I was past that point in the mid-2000s until 2014. I still maintain that EWBAITE and White are almost as good as peak Weezer. Didn't think they had it in them, but was happy to be proven wrong. Rivers is a power pop savant. He could make another rocking album like those ones, but he's either having more fun making dreck like Zombie Bastards or just thinks it'll pay better.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:21 PM   #68
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I think Billy had a finite amount of talent that was all used up by the turn of the century. The few good chunks we've gotten since were just flukes.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:41 PM   #69
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

It was probably Courtney Love who wrote the early Pumpkins albums. I doubt that Billy Corgan could ever write songs that good.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:54 PM   #70
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Confession time. I've never listened to Pinkerton. The only Weezer albums I know are Blue, Green, Raditude, Hurley & EWBAITE. Blue and Green, obviously solid. I know alot of people hate Raditude, but I have some fond memories of listening to it when it came out, still like it. I thought Hurley was terrible and haven't listened to it in years. EWBAITE I'll have to revisit, I remember thinking it was a solid 3/5.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:28 AM   #71
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I actually thought Hurley was pretty okay, at least at the time. I thought it was about the best they would ever get again (think Oceania).

Old 01-03-2019, 12:30 AM   #72
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
Confession time. I've never listened to Pinkerton. The only Weezer albums I know are Blue, Green, Raditude, Hurley & EWBAITE. Blue and Green, obviously solid. I know alot of people hate Raditude, but I have some fond memories of listening to it when it came out, still like it. I thought Hurley was terrible and haven't listened to it in years. EWBAITE I'll have to revisit, I remember thinking it was a solid 3/5.
Dude, do yourself a favor and listen to it. It might take a few times to click, but it's a great album.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:30 AM   #73
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I actually thought Hurley was pretty okay, at least at the time. I thought it was about the best they would ever get again (think Oceania).
Yeah, I thought it was alright at the time, but nothing really stuck for me.

I hope there's a few good tracks on the new album. I don't like the first 2 tracks that they've showcased at all. Still better than most of the new SP at least.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #74
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Dude, do yourself a favor and listen to it. It might take a few times to click, but it's a great album.
Oh I will. + Maladroit, Make Believe, Red, new stuff etc.
I haven't listened to the weez in years but it's summer in my neck of the woods, and a power pop rock revival is exactly what I feel like. Anything to get the bad taste of Shiny out of my mouth.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:47 AM   #75
fuzzyroes
Banned

Sweet man... Don't snooze on Raditude either. It definitely has some BAD songs, but there's a lot of underrated stuff too

Old 01-03-2019, 12:54 AM   #76
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Everything Will Be Alright In The End is an incredible late career work. White is OK, stuff like Do You Wanna Get High? is a Pinkerton jam.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:57 AM   #77
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Raditude was one of the few Weezer albums I was familiar with back in like 2010.

Everyone seemed to hate it except for me. The "I can't stop partying" song and the "Love is the answer" song never bothered me because I just thought they were tounge in cheek/ ironic. Like I said, I was unfamiliar with about 90% of their discography at the time.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:42 AM   #78
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Confession time: I've never listened to Weezer.. except 1995 Buddy Holly lol

Old 01-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #79
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Everything Will Be Alright In The End is an incredible late career work. White is OK, stuff like Do You Wanna Get High? is a Pinkerton jam.
L.A. Girlz, Jacked Up, Endless Bummer all give me the feels.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #80
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

White album is fucking excellent.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #81
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

The truth is over the last 10 000 years or so, Dogs have evolved at a much higher rate than cats have.... Now some might even argue that the "evolution" is not for the best. Some people refer to it as domestication...

Whatever the case, Dogs have evolved much more than cats in the "recent spectrum of time". No one can argue that.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #82
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Trapt > Sleep
whoa whoa whooooa

this is a crap thing to say even as a joke

get fucked

or I’lL TAKE YOU ONNNN

Old 01-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #83
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
whoa whoa whooooa

this is a crap thing to say even as a joke

get fucked

or I’lL TAKE YOU ONNNN
BACK AWF!

Old 01-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #84
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
If you're gonna finally pop your Pinkerton cherry, I recommend tracking down the deluxe version. There's a whole other album of greatness amongst the b-sides. Don't sleep on You Gave Your Love To Me Softly, Longtime Sunshine, Tragic Girl, I Just Threw Out The Love Of My Dreams etc.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #85
FoolofaTook

he's right. that shit's no joking matter.

and stop smiling like a watermelon rind ffs

Old 01-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #86
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
It's weird... When Billy releases something embarrassing it just seems sad and desperate to me but when Weezer does it I just kinda chuckle and don't give a shit. I guess it's cause Weezer has always carried themselves with a sense of irony so when they do something unabashedly silly it's easier to swallow and shrug off.
Its cos he takes himself so damn seriously... and has done since about 1996. In fairness, when they first came out the Pumpkins were not a serious band. Just look at the early videos. Gish rocked and had its reflective moments but the band themselves were very self-deprecating.

Then they made a staggeringly impressive album with Siamese Dream, and all the resulting "next Nirvana" pressure (mostly from Billy himself) ate into the playful aspect and the silliness.

There were still aspects of the silly during MCIS but after that point on it was black and white imagery, and no smiling in pictures.

So when he releases something now, it's with such a po-face that you can't even laugh along with it. Like, the video for Solara could've been played for laughs but it went the other way. I didn't watch SS video (I couldn't bear to) so they may have readdressed this. But every time I see Billy with that eye "make up" I know where it's all going.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #87
FoolofaTook

where?

Old 01-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #88
FoolofaTook

tell me pls i want to know

Old 01-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #89
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

To the bottommost of the crappermost.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #90
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Actually, Adore was happy music. The smiles continued.