Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 AM   #91
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I love it when comedians like Seinfeld and Maher chastise an audience for not liking their jokes.

I mean, it's the audience's job to decide whether you're funny or not. If they're not laughing, stomping their feet and going "HOW DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT WAS FUNNY?!?!" makes comedians look like poor sports.

Seinfeld's joke wasn't the most offensive thing in the world, I have a hunch that most gay people wouldn't give a fuck about it (I could be wrong), but if somebody goes "hey, you know what, that joke kind of has these heteronormative implications, kinda not cool," why not just consider that person's point without taking it as an attack on your moral fiber? People talk about oversensitive PC culture, but maybe it's the people who get incredibly defensive when somebody takes issue with something they said that are the oversensitive ones. And the people who get salty when somebody points out "hey, you are from a social group that has these advantages over these other social groups, that's something to keep in mind when interacting with people," and respond with "WHAT ARE YOU SAYING, THAT NOTHING BAD EVER HAPPENS TO ME AND THAT I'VE NEVER WORKED FOR ANYTHING?!?!"

Old 08-07-2017, 02:42 AM   #92
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I mean, I definitely think that there are many on the left (who are probably the minority, but get lots of attention because it's easier to dismiss an entire section of the political spectrum by cherrypicking the most extreme examples) who definitely take policing language too far, and are more interested in interpreting things as prejudiced or discriminatory wherever they can kinda make the charges stick in order to prove that they are more enlightened than their peers, rather than out of actual concern for others. I don't believe in the whole "you shouldn't criticize people on the same side as you" thing, so I have no problem with addressing their absurd arguments.

But I'm skeptical of people who seem to be more interested in challenging these people than challenging actual systemic inequality itself. If one never speaks out against barriers disadvantaged groups face, it seems less sincere when one aggressively goes after people who think that eating sushi is cultural appropriation or something. Seems more like they have an agenda, but are going the "oh, I only don't like the extreme ones" route for plausible deniability.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #93
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i dunno this is getting pretty divergent.

Quote:
First let's just understand why people were annoyed with the joke. We're talking about a class of people that has been historically subjugated in our culture and, in a lot of jurisdictions in america, still are. Like, violently subjugated. You can still get fired from your job for being gay. Some Pulse nightclub survivors were disowned by their families after they were outed by the shooter. That is the kind of shit we're talking about, and saying "gay french king" as shorthand for some sort of an "other" reinforces that cultural perception.
of course i understand why it's important to watch out for offending unjustly treated parts of the population. i get what you're saying. but i think it's important to remember that once you forbid yourself from making fun of somebody, you point them out as "different" in a manner no less dangerous than making fun of them, just as much as it's fair game to make fun of anyone else, as long as it's not done mean spiritedly.

i could understand the masses being more prone to be outraged when a person like Trump is the president of the US , and feeling the need to be more protective of their dignity in the face of that (even though i know the seinfeld thing in particular happened before that). but the minute you deem something "off limits" humor wise, i think that points out a problem that runs far deeper with that societal system than most people would care to admit.

personally i didn't think that Seinfeld joke was even funny, but i do think he had the right to tell it without people jumping down his throat. it was just a stupid joke told light heartedly with a grin. everybody has different boundaries and i can't really know what it's like to be a closeted gay scared shitless kid, but i believe there's a big difference between that, and the bigoted shit Eddie Murphy used to pass as comedy in the 80's to great success

Old 08-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #94
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
louie already mea culpa'd that on his show
Do you mean the poker game discussion?

Old 08-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #95
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
nah they still there http://forums.netphoria.org/search.php?searchid=290106

i didn't actually read through them before. truly awful
no they're not

Old 08-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #96
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i dunno this is getting pretty divergent.

of course i understand why it's important to watch out for offending unjustly treated parts of the population. i get what you're saying. but i think it's important to remember that once you forbid yourself from making fun of somebody, you point them out as "different" in a manner no less dangerous than making fun of them, just as much as it's fair game to make fun of anyone else, as long as it's not done mean spiritedly.

i could understand the masses being more prone to be outraged when a person like Trump is the president of the US , and feeling the need to be more protective of their dignity in the face of that (even though i know the seinfeld thing in particular happened before that). but the minute you deem something "off limits" humor wise, i think that points out a problem that runs far deeper with that societal system than most people would care to admit.

personally i didn't think that Seinfeld joke was even funny, but i do think he had the right to tell it without people jumping down his throat. it was just a stupid joke told light heartedly with a grin. everybody has different boundaries and i can't really know what it's like to be a closeted gay scared shitless kid, but i believe there's a big difference between that, and the bigoted shit Eddie Murphy used to pass as comedy in the 80's to great success
won't somebody think of the white people

Old 08-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #97
Bread Regal
Banned

and their jokes

Old 08-07-2017, 07:35 AM   #98
Bread Regal
Banned

i'm not buying that shit dude

Old 08-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #99
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
no they're not
No? How would you describe them?

Old 08-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #100
yo soy el mejor

deleted

Old 08-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #101
Bread Regal
Banned

****, the search results when you link them like that, they expire

Old 08-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #102
Bread Regal
Banned

http://forums.netphoria.org/search.php?searchid=290130

Old 08-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #103
yo soy el mejor

thanks, bonz. you rock. i need to use the search function more. i guess using that word only makes one a monster to joeri if you don't talk to joeri off netphoria. otherwise, it's just "not good".

that's cool. that's cool.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #104
Bread Regal
Banned

if jerry never mentions gay people in his act, literally nobody sane is gonna be like "good show, but i really hated how he didn't even denigrate gay people in a punchline".

like come on dude. how obtuse can you be.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #105
Bread Regal
Banned

sorry for calling you a holocaust denialist smashingjj

Old 08-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #106
LaBelle
Socialphobic

People have as much right to react negatively to a joke as Seinfeld has to charge tickets, hold a microphone and tell it to a crowd.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #107
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I mean...are French people and kings also offended?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #108
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Kings deserve it and French people act like they are permanently offended, so both of those are moot.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #109
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The above post is a joke and is not meant to offend the French.

Fuck Kings, tho.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #110
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Why is Queen used more often as a derogatory term than King tho?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #111
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Question

Quote:
thanks, bonz. you rock. i need to use the search function more. i guess using that word only makes one a monster to joeri if you don't talk to joeri off netphoria. otherwise, it's just "not good".

that's cool. that's cool.
Not following this. Who's the monster you speak of?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #112
yo soy el mejor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Not following this. Who's the monster you speak of?
don't play stupid, stupid.

alt response: nevermind

Old 08-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #113
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
nevermind
You're not getting away that easy. You're implying i talk to Geo in real life. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I suppose you see yourself as a monster. Understandable, but keep working on that self esteem.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #114
yo soy el mejor

No, you've just held me to the fire for the same shit that is invisible to you when your "friends" do it. Get some integrity.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #115
Cool As Ice Cream

get some fanta

Old 08-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #116
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
No, you've just held me to the fire for the same shit that is invisible to you when your "friends" do it. Get some integrity.
I'll just wait for a couple of hours before i reply to give you the time to edit your post a couple of times.

"Integrity"

Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #117
yo soy el mejor

if you're not going to have any, perhaps you could just get off my clit moving forward.

or hold us all to the fire.

i'll let you decide.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 08-07-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: needed a comma

Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #118
Cool As Ice Cream

hide your tiki torches, everyone

Old 08-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #119
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
if you're not going to have any, perhaps you could just get off my clit moving forward.

or hold us all to the fire.

i'll let you decide.
sure, my last reaction then.

by 'us all' you mean Geo and you? lol. that's what I did, didn't I? except I always liked geo and you've always been a cunt. that must not be very integer of me then. does that mean I don't get your validation? what cruel fate.

have a nice evening!

Last edited by smashingjj : 08-07-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: integrity

Old 08-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #120
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
sorry for calling you a holocaust denialist smashingjj
thank you.