Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2002, 12:34 AM   #1
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down Only 30% (THIRTY FUCKING PERCENT) of the US voted in the recent elections

WHAT THE FUCK

not that I can complain, I didn't vote.

THIRTY PERCENT. THIRTY PERCENT. THIRTY FUCKING PERCENT.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:44 AM   #2
Johnny_Swallow
Ownz

Angry

And they were all white male property owners. Bastards.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:44 AM   #3
Samsa
Banned

i thought it was more like 39%

in fact that's a rise from last midterm elections which were more like 37%

and actually in states with very tight races one in particular i forget whcih one, voter turnout was like 75% or something. although that is fucking huge. maybe 75% of registered voters voted i forget. i posted the article like this morning

Old 11-07-2002, 01:19 AM   #4
bjornborg.org
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsa
i thought it was more like 39%

actually in states with very tight races one in particular i forget whcih one, voter turnout was like 75% or something. although that is fucking huge. :
South Dakota methinks.

Old 11-07-2002, 01:34 AM   #5
Ketchup
Apocalyptic Poster

Lightbulb

if you don't vote... the terrorists win.

Old 11-07-2002, 01:38 AM   #6
relaxor!
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ketchup
Damn, so now it's 2-0 right?

Old 11-07-2002, 01:40 AM   #7
beef curtains
Immortal

Talking

pfft, i bet 30% is higher than the number of canadians who voted yesterday!

Old 11-07-2002, 01:41 AM   #8
Ketchup
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by relaxor!
Damn, so now it's 2-0 right?
OMIFUK you are RIGHT! America is doomed, save us all!

Old 11-07-2002, 02:20 AM   #9
TheJoker
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

I voted for all Green Party Canadates.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:22 AM   #10
Lie
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJoker
Canadates.
Canadian candidates?

Old 11-07-2002, 03:13 AM   #11
kypper
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie

Canadian candidates?
Nah, the by elections aren't until December.

Old 11-07-2002, 04:50 AM   #12
FearFactory
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Ketchup

Old 11-07-2002, 05:42 AM   #13
Rima
Demi-God

I wonder if part of it isn't just an indefference and/or cynicism to the effect of voting. The whole Bush sage in Florida, like, "what's it matter, do we really control it?" That sort of stuff..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Official Site - Administrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The leonanaess.com Community Center - Administrator

Old 11-07-2002, 09:01 AM   #14
Mr_sister
Pledge

hmm, in sweden 79% voted in the election for our own version of the congress.

This has probably much to do with the fact that we have a proportional votingsystem, thus there are more alternatives (especially left field ones) that can get power than in USA. Not as many votes are thrown away. And we don't have to register to vote like you do. Oh yeah, and the economical differences between rich and poor are much smaller here (and our poorest people have it a lot better than yours), so they feel more lika a part of society and therefore votes.

Old 11-07-2002, 09:04 AM   #15
Rima
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_sister

This has probably much to do with the fact that we have a proportional votingsystem, thus there are more alternatives (especially left field ones) that can get power than in USA. Not as many votes are thrown away. And we don't have to register to vote like you do. Oh yeah, and the economical differences between rich and poor are much smaller here (and our poorest people have it a lot better than yours), so they feel more lika a part of society and therefore votes.
I am getting convinced more and more each day that Sweden is the greatest country to live in. How's the violence there?

I swear I want to live there some day.. well, in the very least visit it. While I want to live in London, it rains far too much for me to be able to tolerate it longer than a few weeks.

Anyways, Sweden... how's the Royal family taken there? It's not like the English, is it? Where they're sort of considered a joke? heh

Old 11-07-2002, 12:39 PM   #16
Mr_sister
Pledge

Quote:
I am getting convinced more and more each day that Sweden is the greatest country to live in. How's the violence there?
Much lower than in the uk and USA, generally speaking. weapons are hard to get by, people mostly live in small towns (of course sweden has an extremely low population density) where criminality isn't such a big problem

Quote:
I swear I want to live there some day.. well, in the very least visit it. While I want to live in London, it rains far too much for me to be able to tolerate it longer than a few weeks.
Too bad, it rains all the time here

Quote:
Anyways, Sweden... how's the Royal family taken there? It's not like the English, is it? Where they're sort of considered a joke? heh
i think people take the royal family (our royal family that is) less seriously than in England.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:50 PM   #17
Affect
Fuck

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJoker
I voted for all Green Party Canadates.
Can you say wasted vote?

Old 11-07-2002, 03:22 PM   #18
Samsa
Banned

Quote:

actually it probably also has a lot to do with the fact that this is just a midterm election and not as 'important'. the us has more elections and staggered elections therefore each election isn't as 'important'

Old 11-07-2002, 10:35 PM   #19
SPheart9
oh so mod.

yeah, but do you really want every american over the age of 18 voting? even though we have a low voter turnout, it's almost for the better, because only the people who really care enough to be a part of government will vote, therefore the voters will most likely be more informed and make a better choice.

and it's all the same bull shit, anyway.

Old 11-07-2002, 11:11 PM   #20
THRILLHO
Apocalyptic Poster

maybe it means something.

phrases you hear all the time: "I don't like any of them so I'm not voting for them." "Don't complain to me, I didn't vote." "I won't feel guilty when the country goes to hell because I didn't vote."

maybe people are sick of the two-tiered system and the issue just isn't being addressed by the government-controlled media.

maybe it's apathy and/or americans justify not voting in any number of retarded ways and I'm full of horse shit.

Old 11-07-2002, 11:16 PM   #21
Samsa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by THRILLHO
maybe it means something.

phrases you hear all the time: "I don't like any of them so I'm not voting for them." "Don't complain to me, I didn't vote." "I won't feel guilty when the country goes to hell because I didn't vote."
but the last two of those .... just change the negative to positive and vice versa and it still fits

complain to me -- i didn't vote

i will feel guilty when the country goes to hell because i didn't vote

Old 11-08-2002, 12:38 AM   #22
Mr_sister
Pledge

Quote:
yeah, but do you really want every american over the age of 18 voting? even though we have a low voter turnout, it's almost for the better, because only the people who really care enough to be a part of government will vote, therefore the voters will most likely be more informed and make a better choice.
Which people are likely to be best informed about politics? The rich people with good education, and people from the middle class. The problem is that these people can be very informed, and then don't give a shit about the poorer people in your society. Just because you know a lot about politics doesnt' mean that you vote in some sort of utlitarian (i think thats how you spell it in english) way.

I think that a lot of informed and inteligent leftfield voters just didn't bother becuase their choice doesn't make a difference.

Old 11-08-2002, 12:41 AM   #23
Mr_sister
Pledge

Quote:
actually it probably also has a lot to do with the fact that this is just a midterm election and not as 'important'. the us has more elections and staggered elections therefore each election isn't as 'important'
Yeah, that's probably a big reason too. Perhaps it's time to change this and only have one big election for kongress and president?

Old 11-08-2002, 12:41 AM   #24
Crippler
Apocalyptic Poster

Exclamation

I voted.

That bitch Granholm won the governorship in MI, though ...too bad practically everyone under her is a Republican...she's gonna have a helluva time running anything...heh.

Old 11-08-2002, 01:00 AM   #25
Samsa
Banned

Quote:

Yeah, that's probably a big reason too. Perhaps it's time to change this and only have one big election for kongress and president?
the reason they're staggered in the first place is for stability, so there isn't a huge change in government all at one time. i dunno if that's a relevant issue anymore who cares. maybe it's too bad that like. you know. our constitution is pretty hard to change. like maybe if we had proportional elections or if the president were elected by popular vote instead of the electoral college then more people would care but how are you supposed to change that in a system that's been in existence without change for 213 years you know. i dunno i have a headache.

Old 11-08-2002, 01:07 AM   #26
Samsa
Banned

oh but because. reason it's single-member plurality though and not proportional:

since it's federalists your representatives have to like keep in touch with their constituency -- the people who elected them. of course that also brings about 'pork barrel legislation' but...i dunno if pork barrel legislation is really a bad thing.

the senate -- each state gets their 2 senators they can choose to send -- this i guess ensures that no states feel like, like let'say colorado is like largely republican but since they have a smaller number of voters if it were proportional and they were competing against....i dunno, new york or something, which less say has more democratic votes than republicans. well the 'new york-type states' would be able to have the legislature in their power more or less even though you have highly-concentrated areas of opposition type people who are upset. is that good? ummm

so i guess overall the issue is localities -- like proportional representation would take away the ties between congressmen and their districts and take away the say that small-population homogenous states have in their government. i think. of course you could like. really split it up and make it part-proportional and part single-party like what germany did i don't fuckin gknow i have a headache. :::::::::[ or like what japan did and have a number of representatives assigned to a district and the top three vote-getters win but that failed and they changed it ugh if orget. go look it up if you care. i guess it's interesting but i'm stupid and i have a headache and i'm sad and i have to do my homework and it's 11 30

Old 11-08-2002, 01:08 AM   #27
Samsa
Banned

nevermind don't read that i'm stupid. fuck. i have to do my homework

Old 11-08-2002, 01:10 AM   #28
Crippler
Apocalyptic Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
nevermind don't read that i'm stupid. fuck. i have to do my homework
What kind of homework?

Old 11-08-2002, 01:21 AM   #29
Samsa
Banned

just long-term shit. read about russia, read for history, read for econ, read about turkey....the earliest some of this has to be done is monday and the latest is like the 20th. and fuck i think i have an econ exam on friday. i dunno. yeah it's 12 am i suck

Old 11-08-2002, 01:23 AM   #30
Crippler
Apocalyptic Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
just long-term shit. read about russia, read for history, read for econ, read about turkey....the earliest some of this has to be done is monday and the latest is like the 20th. and fuck i think i have an econ exam on friday. i dunno. yeah it's 12 am i suck
Remember to take your Vivarin tomorrow morning.

What about Russia are you reading about?